• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

OLD OLD OLD TECHNOLOGIES

Started by the_peeve, April 02, 2016, 08:13:51 PM

coaster

I love old radios. Anything electrical thats got some serious age to it really. But radios are endlessly fascinating.
Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on April 02, 2016, 08:44:28 PM

That looks fun. Beautiful ride. Lucky Jay. I enjoy watching Jay's Leno's Garage. People can say what they want about the man and his Late Night gig, but he knows his shit when it comes to cars. He has helped many vets out as well selling items from his collection. I like Jay.

K_Dubb

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on April 08, 2016, 08:42:52 PM
A low hum generally indicates a bad or corroded ground. Check your base plate voltage (carefully - you're dealing w/ high potentials.)

For a good place to start, check this page.

That's a sweet little Philco BTW. Classic style. :)

Thanks!  I don't touch anything.  I heard enough hair-raising stories from the repairman -- he seemed to get off on the danger hahaha crazy old coot.

Here's a pic of William Harley & Arthur Davidson from 1914 on a true "Motor-bike" of their own creation.

1923 testing of a bullet proof vest.

Did you guys know Fiat had a test track on the roof of their factory ?

albrecht

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 17, 2016, 01:53:22 PM
Here's a pic of William Harley & Arthur Davidson from 1914 on a true "Motor-bike" of their own creation.
Can you believe that this picture (or one like it) was actually a final answer on Jeopardy! celebrity challenge recently. And, worse, all got it wrong. "Wright Brothers," "Ernest & Young," and "Ford and Pontiac" were the wrong answers mentioned.

This one is cool; a machine to test the wear on shoes.

Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2016, 01:58:09 PM
Can you believe that this picture (or one like it) was actually a final answer on Jeopardy! celebrity challenge recently. And, worse, all got it wrong. "Wright Brothers," "Ernest & Young," and "Ford and Pontiac" were the wrong answers mentioned.
LMFAO - I was yelling @ the contestants when that question was asked and not a one of them knew it. I couldn't believe it. :o

Was Robby the robot modelled after this diving suit ?

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 17, 2016, 02:10:46 PM

I don't know.  What I do know is that is one brave individual in that thing.

Extra credit if you know what color this one should be:

Catsmile

From humble beginnings...

A short few million years later the offspring of our origins can nao split and fuse atoms...

starrmtn001

Quote from: the_peeve on April 02, 2016, 08:13:51 PM
I am really into old technologies that were abandoned for obvious or odd or strange reasons. Feel free to add on to this thread, any old tech's that still amaze!

I am really into the history of  Stanley Steam cars, built by Stanley Motor Carriage Company. Although steam cars and vehicles had been pretty much been phased out by 1930, there was a period of 1902 to 1911 where Stanley couldn't be beaten. They had kick ass cars that were extremely fast.

In 1906, they constructed a race car using a frame built from a canoe cut in half for early aerodynamics. The two Stanley brothers were geniuses. That car went 146 miles an hour on the Daytona Beach track! In 1906!

In 1907, they tried again, and got the car up to 154 mph, but the car drove into a rut on the beach, and the boiler flew off and blew into the air. The driver, Fred Mariott was injured and so was the company.

Competitors used this accident to make steamers seem dangerous and tend to blow up. Which you heard about for many years and even today. Automotive Propaganda. But there was no report ever of a Stanley Steam ever blowing up because they built the engines with valves to off-set overheating.
But it was the end, the gasoline combustion engines were favoured and they would soon come with a very popular starter. Stanley Steamers were given a bad name, basically. Which is a real shame because I wonder how much another two decades of experimentation on steam engines for cars would have taken us. 

The following is one of my favourite videos on youtube. It is of the owner of a 1906 Stanley Vanderbilt Race Cup car. You will see him blast away other vehicles from the period and beyond. I talked to the owner and he told me he could get this beast going 110-116 mph.  His top speed is about 65mph in the video. Jay Leno has some excellent videos too of these beasts of a race car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4rDjTN2JMs
Amazing, Peeve!  Thank you for sharing this with us! ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 17, 2016, 02:10:46 PM
Interesting.  It sure looks like it.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 07, 2016, 01:09:48 PM
Interesting.  It sure looks like it.
Can you imagine tripping over a rock on the bottom and falling face down. How the hell would you stand back up. That suit weighed 551 Lbs.

GravitySucks

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on August 20, 2016, 11:54:55 AM
Can you imagine tripping over a rock on the bottom and falling face down. How the hell would you stand back up. That suit weighed 551 Lbs.

The Space Shuttle EVA suits weighed about 310 pounds and all of their zero G training for EVA's was done in a giant pool. Lots of support divers in regular SCUBA gear to deal with any emergencies.

310 lbs, displaced in water, is still a lot of weight to be moving around in. No wonder the physical training is so rigorous.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 17, 2016, 01:53:22 PM

This is, sorry to say, an Internet canard that has snagged many unwary viewers, including me (and Jeopardy, it seems).

These are two random brothers from Minnesota, NOT Harley and Davidson.  And what's incredible about it is that the first time it was published on the Internet was on a HD fanpage that not only correctly identified the subjects of the photo, but published a 1919 picture of Harley and Davidson themselves, looking much older and nothing like those other guys:

You can read all about the "real" guys, which includes the picture in question plus a scan of the original purchase receipt, on this site (scroll about 1/4 way down the page):

http://harley-davidson.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/

Thanks for the clarification DPS.  :)

Yorkshire pud

The reason you can read this forum the way you do...the genesis of modern computers.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 25, 2016, 05:24:25 AM
The reason you can read this forum the way you do...the genesis of modern computers.
Nice find YP.

http://www.colossus-computer.com/colossus1.html

Edit: I wonder if they took the movie name from this, i.e.  "Colossus, The Forbin Project"
         http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on August 25, 2016, 05:40:40 AM
Nice find YP.

http://www.colossus-computer.com/colossus1.html

Edit: I wonder if they took the movie name from this, i.e.  "Colossus, The Forbin Project"
         http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

If you ever get the chance, visit Bletchley Park. Fascinating stuff. And all that went on there was in total secrecy. To the point that married couples who'd worked there didn't tell their spouse they'd worked there.