• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Viruses, Trojans, and Other $#!+

Started by puddintame, December 30, 2008, 06:35:41 AM

puddintame

I don't know anything about this--but am passing it along anyhow.  You be the judge.

As per Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/obamaspeech.asp

THERE IS AN EMAIL WITH SUBJECT LINE OBAMA ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
FLOATING AROUND WITH A TROJAN HORSE ATTACHMENT.
DO NOT OPEN FOR ANY REASON. DELETE IMMEDIATELY.
THE TROJAN STEALS ALL PASSWORDS AND USER IDS--
SPREAD THE WORD.

MV/Liberace!

what antivirus software are you pc types using?  i am using symantec antivirus corporate edition v10.  however, i have also used avg in the past.  the thing is, for me at least, it's difficult to say what THE BEST antivirus software is because i stay away from activities and behaviors that infect one with viruses in the first place and i don't get any opportunity to see this software in action.  i'm hearing very good things about something called nod32.  considering switching to that, but i'd have to pay for it which i'm not really keen on doing.

EvB

I have a license for AVG Pro someplace here dammit - but am still finding stuff form my transfer from old PC to new - at the moment i am running McAfee Enterprise which anyone working at/studying at UMass gets free since they want SOMETHING to keep crap off their server. 

Sybil

Hee!!! I gave up worrying about all that when I got my Mac. I'm not gloating!

I'm truly sorry you guys have to deal with those hassles.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sybil on December 30, 2008, 03:01:17 PM
Hee!!! I gave up worrying about all that when I got my Mac. I'm not gloating!

I'm truly sorry you guys have to deal with those hassles.
i believe the biggest reason mac users aren't as susceptible to viruses/etc. is not as much because of the mac's architecture, but rather the simple fact that those who create viruses aren't bothering themselves with writing viruses for an operating system that's used by only 10% of the market.  if you're going to write viruses, makes more sense to expend your efforts where the numbers are, and that's windows.  if mac suddenly became the dominant platform, i guarantee you EVERY mac user would need antivirus software.  a computer is still a computer.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on December 30, 2008, 03:47:17 PM
i believe the biggest reason mac users aren't as susceptible to viruses/etc. is not as much because of the mac's architecture, but rather the simple fact that those who create viruses aren't bothering themselves with writing viruses for an operating system that's used by only 10% of the market.  if you're going to write viruses, makes more sense to expend your efforts where the numbers are, and that's windows.

EXACTLY.  Even Macophiles will tell you so.

Sybil

Quote from: EvB on December 30, 2008, 04:25:14 PM
EXACTLY.  Even Macophiles will tell you so.
So? Fact is, I still don't get' em. Whatever the reason may be. LOL!>>>maniacal laugh<<<

EvB

Quote from: Sybil on December 30, 2008, 07:54:38 PM
So? Fact is, I still don't get' em. Whatever the reason may be. LOL!>>>maniacal laugh<<<

Yeah well - we PC types with our software and hardware firewalls, virus scanners, spy ware immunizes and so on and so on have to comfort ourselves SOMEHOW now don't we? :-\

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on December 30, 2008, 08:02:52 PM

Yeah well - we PC types with our software and hardware firewalls, virus scanners, spy ware immunizes and so on and so on have to comfort ourselves SOMEHOW now don't we? :-\
i primarily comfort myself by thinking of all the software and hardware that's readily available to me at an affordable price.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on December 30, 2008, 09:50:34 PM
i primarily comfort myself by thinking of all the software and hardware that's readily available to me at an affordable price.

That too.

Max

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on December 30, 2008, 06:49:53 AM
.... because i stay away from activities and behaviors that infect one with viruses in the first place....

I use linux to solve that problem.

My uncle used to say "Creating a virus for a Mac is akin to picking on the village retard."

Sybil

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on January 19, 2009, 07:13:35 AM
My uncle used to say "Creating a virus for a Mac is akin to picking on the village retard."
Hey!!! That's fightin' words!

I take it you're a gamer that has never owned a Mac, and would never own one because it's game deficient.

I understand. My gamer friends torment me to no end about my Mac. I'm not sure why though.

As you see, I'm a creator, not a gamer, so Mac fulfills my needs in a way that PC never could. PC for me, was like a bad lover that didn't care about finding my G spot.

Max

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on December 30, 2008, 06:46:12 AM
also beware of antivirus 2009.
http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/antivirus2009-antivirus-2009-removal-instructions/spyware-removal

that fucking software has been around forever, and no one has shut them down permanently. personally every person that has been infected by them should launch a class action suit against the company, the owners, the webhosts, and anyone else that has supported allowing them to be online.

EvB

QuoteAs you see, I'm a creator, not a gamer, so Mac fulfills my needs in a way that PC never could. PC for me, was like a bad lover that didn't care about finding my G spot.

I'm a creator, not a gamer.  My PC hits my G just fine and dandy, thanks.