• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Computer question regarding security for smartypants out there

Started by Inglorious Bitch, February 25, 2016, 06:51:54 PM

My Avast is about to expire. I also have Malware Bytes on my computer. I got the free versions of both programs initially, but then decided that skimping on computer protection is penny-wise and pound foolish. So I upgraded to the paid version of both programs. The Malware Bytes seems to be a one time purchase and has never renewed and I still have the paid version.  The Avast renews itself every year.

I don't know that I am thrilled with the Avast. Sometimes I run a security scan and it tells me that a lot of folders cannot be scanned because of a password. I have not set up any passwords on my computer other than the one to get into the actual computer.

Other than Avast, what other good programs are compatible with Malware and Windows 7?

littlechris

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 06:51:54 PM
My Avast is about to expire. I also have Malware Bytes on my computer. I got the free versions of both programs initially, but then decided that skimping on computer protection is penny-wise and pound foolish. So I upgraded to the paid version of both programs. The Malware Bytes seems to be a one time purchase and has never renewed and I still have the paid version.  The Avast renews itself every year.

I don't know that I am thrilled with the Avast. Sometimes I run a security scan and it tells me that a lot of folders cannot be scanned because of a password. I have not set up any passwords on my computer other than the one to get into the actual computer.

Other than Avast, what other good programs are compatible with Malware and Windows 7?

Hitman Pro stacked with Malware Bytes Premium.

onan

My computer guy suggests Kaspersky. I have it on my macs. I'm using Avast premiere on my pc's. Avast recently started asking for more money to add other features.

Oh and if you happen to have McAfee installed and want to get rid of it, John has this video to help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

Quote from: littlechris on February 25, 2016, 06:57:35 PM
Hitman Pro stacked with Malware Bytes Premium.

So I am paying for another version of MB? What does "stacked" mean?

Quote from: onan on February 25, 2016, 07:05:29 PM
My computer guy suggests Kaspersky. I have it on my macs. I'm using Avast premiere on my pc's. Avast recently started asking for more money to add other features.

Can I use Kaspersky on a laptop? Is it compatible with MB?

littlechris

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 07:08:45 PM

So I am paying for another version of MB? What does "stacked" mean?

Actually, they are different. There has been times where HitMan Pro caught stuff and MalwareBytes did not and vice versa. "Stacked" just means to buy them both and use them both.lol  :)

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
Hey IB,

Avira is usually pretty decent for free:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/anti-spyware-software/avira-free-antivirus-review-3493945/

Thank you. What is the difference between spyware and malware? The MB protects from malware and the Avast from spyware, or is it the same thing?

onan

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 07:08:45 PM

Can I use Kaspersky on a laptop? Is it compatible with MB?

I think so. But I use Kaspersky on my macs. I don't have any other defensive apps on them. Some time ago I got lots of blocking/extortion type of malware on the mac I surf the web with, usually after trying to download a torrent from TPB. With Kaspersky that hasn't happened.

I often get warnings from malwarebytes and avast on my PCs. But the apps seem to stop them from getting access.

I also use some version of CC cleaner. Every so often I run it.

I'm not a techie kind of guy, better to listen to LC and a few others.

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 07:12:38 PM
Thank you. What is the difference between spyware and malware? The MB protects from malware and the Avast from spyware, or is it the same thing?

Well believe me when I say I am no expert but to me it is just marketing shtick.   Viruses, Spyware, Malware are terms for malicious software and you want multiple layers of protection.   A good firewall, MB and something like Avira, AVG, Avast or whatever should be reasonable protection.   

As Onan mentioned CC Cleaner is a nice tool to have as well - just be careful with it.   

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2016, 07:30:09 PM

As Onan mentioned CC Cleaner is a nice tool to have as well - just be careful with it.   

Great! Thank you for your responses, I now have a jumping off point to do some research on each program! WAN, why be careful with CC? I have it but usually don't run it as it takes seconds to finish running and I don't think that I have that much fragmented files as my computer does a de-frag on a regular schedule.

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 07:57:32 PM
Great! Thank you for your responses, I now have a jumping off point to do some research on each program! WAN, why be careful with CC? I have it but usually don't run it as it takes seconds to finish running and I don't think that I have that much fragmented files as my computer does a de-frag on a regular schedule.

CC Cleaner has a function in to clean up the Windows Registry - which is a good thing.  The registry is deep in the bowels of Windows.   Always back up the
registry before allowing CC Cleaner to muck with it.  I've never had an issue with CC Cleaner but if you have a registry problem it can suck.

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 06:51:54 PM

Sweetie, don't listen to these gavoons.  I got the answers you need.

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 25, 2016, 08:25:51 PM
Oy vey.

Sorry hunnybuns but I don't speak French.  BECAUSE I DON'T SPEAK ABOUT SURRENDER america fuck yah

ShayP

I am a computer dummy, so I need all the help I can get.  I've used Kaspersky on my PC's for the last 4 years and it has been absolutely great with no fuss. 2 cents  ;)

Quote from: ShayP on February 25, 2016, 08:41:13 PM
I am a computer dummy, so I need all the help I can get.  I've used Kaspersky on my PC's for the last 4 years and it has been absolutely great with no fuss. 2 cents  ;)
Thank you.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2016, 07:30:09 PM
Well believe me when I say I am no expert but to me it is just marketing shtick.   Viruses, Spyware, Malware are terms for malicious software and you want multiple layers of protection.   A good firewall, MB and something like Avira, AVG, Avast or whatever should be reasonable protection.   

Agreed.
Here's one thing to keep in mind though, some AV's interfere with other AV's. You should have one that protects the system, and others that can be used on-demand. MB is good, plus I've used the older versions of Threatfire. HitmanPro has excellent reviews and I've also used Avira and AVG. Believe it or not, Windows defender picked up crap that MalwareBytes missed. As far as a paid solution goes, try the freeware versions first if available (most have a free trial period,) to see if they're compatible w/ what is running on your system.

This is also a good solution: https://www.f-secure.com/en_GB/web/home_gb/anti-virus.

Malware is a conjunctive word for Malicious software, while a keylogger would be considered spyware. Spyware runs silently trying to steal personal info like passwords, C.C info, etc. Malware uses your system for it's own purposes - think part of a bot-net to launch DDOS attacks - and generally slows down your box because it's using your system resources for their purposes.
Use CCleaner, it's the safest one out there, but as always, be very careful of cleaning registry values. If unsure what it does, leave it alone. ;)

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2016, 08:11:11 PM
CC Cleaner has a function in to clean up the Windows Registry - which is a good thing.  The registry is deep in the bowels of Windows.   Always back up the
registry before allowing CC Cleaner to muck with it.  I've never had an issue with CC Cleaner but if you have a registry problem it can suck.
+10
Go into the hives and export them to an external flash drive or equivelant. If it mucks them up, plug in the flash and click the hives. You will be asked if you want to merge them. Accept.

BTW, this might be of help: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588.html