• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

On Monday, March 6, 1916 Chief of Police Robert Nolen of the Lebanon Police Department, Tennessee passed away of a gunshot wound. 
He was avenged by old time, vigilante justice:

QuoteChief Robert Nolen succumbed to a gunshot wound sustained the previous day when he and an officer attempted to arrest man wanted for bootlegging.

The officers located the man at his home and informed him he was under arrest. The man was granted permission to get his hat before being taken from the home. When the man failed to return to the door, the officers entered and were confronted by the man with a gun. The suspect immediately opened fire, striking Chief Nolen in the arm and abdomen. The other officer returned fire and wounded the suspect. Chief Nolen was immediately taken to a doctor's office where he underwent surgery before succumbing to his wounds.

A few hours later an angry mob seized the supect from the jail and hanged him.

Chief Nolen was survived by his wife.

Rix Gins

Everett True, March 6, 1916.

Rix Gins

From the March 6, 1916 Day Book.

Rix Gins

The Tonopah Daily Bonanza, March 6, 1916.

Zeppelin damage in Paris.  Photo by Wikimedia.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 06, 2016, 02:53:50 PM
The Tonopah Daily Bonanza, March 6, 1916.

Zeppelin damage in Paris.  Photo by Wikimedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_havardii (I think?) are the curious oaks mentioned in the last article.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on March 06, 2016, 03:23:06 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_havardii (I think?) are the curious oaks mentioned in the last article.

Thanks, I was wondering which one it was.  All the scrub oak species I looked up seemed too big.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 06, 2016, 02:47:17 PM
From the March 6, 1916 Day Book.

Cool!  Interesting method of lighting the lady's cigarette, there.  I wonder when she was allowed to hold it herself?

K_Dubb

An image of two of Gen. Pershing's 1916 Dodge touring cars.  Their use in Patton's gunfight is referred to by some as the first mechanized cavalry charge in US history.

Villa was assassinated in a similar Dodge in 1923.

gabrielle

From the Toronto Star, March 6th, 1916

K_Dubb

Quote from: gabrielle on March 06, 2016, 04:23:15 PM
From the Toronto Star, March 6th, 1916

Interesting analysis, Gabrielle, thank you.  According to one documentary I watched, the German objective was not to take Verdun but rather to bleed the French army, who'd be provoked into defending it for sentimental rather than military reasons.

On the subject of Patton and pipes:

I wonder what he smoked.  Most of the ads in papers I see are for American brands you can still get today:  Prince Albert, Half & Half, even Velvet.

Rix Gins

This ad was in the Bonanza. (Had to break it down into two parts.) Would love to find the one pound glass humidor somewhere.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 06, 2016, 06:49:26 PM
This ad was in the Bonanza. (Had to break it down into two parts.) Would love to find the one pound glass humidor somewhere.

Interesting, I saw the same one in the Star today -- that's what brought Velvet to mind.  I haven't had it for several years, but I remember it tasting like plastic. 

The Star also runs Everett True.  I wonder if they were related.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on March 06, 2016, 07:20:52 PM
Interesting, I saw the same one in the Star today -- that's what brought Velvet to mind.  I haven't had it for several years, but I remember it tasting like plastic. 

The Star also runs Everett True.  I wonder if they were related.

Haha.  Yeah, I'd really prefer to find a 1916 glass humidor from one of the other brands you mentioned, but I figure beggars can't be choosers.

Rix Gins

Husband and firefighter, Johannes Sinf.  Born in Riefenberg, Germany on December 8, 1878.  Died on February 26, 1916.  He was 37 years old.  Military status and cause of death unknown but he appears to be wearing some type of musicians decoration.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 06, 2016, 11:49:20 PM
Husband and firefighter, Johannes Sinf.  Born in Riefenberg, Germany on December 8, 1878.  Died on February 26, 1916.  He was 37 years old.  Military status and cause of death unknown but he appears to be wearing some type of musicians decoration.
How/why did you find him? Love the mustache, my resolution is bad (and photo old) but wonder if he had a schmisse to go with it.
Not a 100 years ago but interesting, especially in light of the prominence and, dare I say, revisionism of Rosie the Riveter. Was listening to an old Inner Sanctum, love OTR, Mar 7 1943, and they had an ad about recruiting women for jobs from the Govt Employment Office: saying don't worry not all jobs involve heavy work but also things like child care, cleaning, etc and also warned "not to move" to areas of wartime employment but look for many opportunities in your area to help the war effort to defeat the enemy.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on March 07, 2016, 12:10:29 AM
How/why did you find him? Love the mustache, my resolution is bad (and photo old) but wonder if he had a schmisse to go with it.
Not a 100 years ago but interesting, especially in light of the prominence and, dare I say, revisionism of Rosie the Riveter. Was listening to an old Inner Sanctum, love OTR, Mar 7 1943, and they had an ad about recruiting women for jobs from the Govt Employment Office: saying don't worry not all jobs involve heavy work but also things like child care, cleaning, etc and also warned "not to move" to areas of wartime employment but look for many opportunities in your area to help the war effort to defeat the enemy.

Thanks for your interest.  I got him from here... (I have collected them for some years but not too much anymore.)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=German+death+cards&_sacat=13962&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=13962

Though this, and the ones I would like to post are from my own private collection.  They are called Sterbebild, loosely translated to Death Notice Cards.  They call them cards but they are really just made out of paper and family members of deceased soldiers would have them printed up and sent to friends and relatives who couldn't attend funerals or memorial services.  This particular one is probably a good 99 years old and it has an actual photo that was trimmed down and glued to the card.  Most of the cards have printed photos and information regarding what town they lived in, father's occupation, the soldiers occupation, military status such as what regiment they were with and how many years they served in the war.  Also info on where and how they died.  Of course not all soldiers died in battle.  Many of them died from illness and accident.  The info varies...some cards will contain lots of items of info and some only a couple, like Johanne's and I have edited it down to show his photo and include what info I could ascertain.  The cards also contain religious illustrations that show Jesus or Angels comforting the fallen soldier, along with printed phrases that praise the soldier's service to the Fatherland.  There is also a data base in Germany where you can find out where some of the soldiers are buried.  Why?  I thought it would be nice to show a face out of the forgotten souls who were among the millions that died in WWI.  Here is Johanne's photo again with improved resolution.       

K_Dubb

From the Seattle Star today:

A Chinese laundry in California about that time:

The magnolias around here are in full bloom.  As a weak-willed person, I shall take precautions.

K_Dubb

The SS Camosun, a steamship making regular trips up and down Canada's west coast, ran aground today on Digby Island off Prince Rupert in a snowstorm, presumably at high tide.  She'd been built with a double-bottomed steel hull which saved her several times, including this one.  She was refloated with only minor damage.

What glorious trips those must have been!

The ticket office in Prince Rupert, about 1911:

Rix Gins

Now that didn't last very long...didn't the Chinese gangs make a peace agreement several days back?  Cool photo of the laundry by the way...did you see the toddler in his little wheeled conveyance?  The ship pictures...great.  Have you any of the Gibbs books on ships that were wrecked in the Pacific Northwest?  I used to have a set of them myself but haven't seen them for awhile.  If they aren't in a box in the attic somewhere then I'm afraid they fell victim to some long ago garage sale.  They were pretty cool books...lots of neat photos in them.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2016, 03:03:51 PM
Now that didn't last very long...didn't the Chinese gangs make a peace agreement several days back?  Cool photo of the laundry by the way...did you see the toddler in his little wheeled conveyance?  The ship pictures...great.  Have you any of the Gibbs books on ships that were wrecked in the Pacific Northwest?  I used to have a set of  them myself but haven't seen them for awhile.  If they aren't in a box in the attic somewhere then I'm afraid they fell victim to some long ago garage sale.  They were pretty cool books...lots of neat photos in them.

Yeah, that's confusing.  I don't remember seeing the Suey On tong mentioned before, so maybe it was a separate feud with the Hop Sing.  The baby walker is cool; I wonder if they sold them back then, or if it was improvised?  I don't have the Gibbs books but I'm sure my dad has them; I'll check next time I'm over.

Rix Gins

Everett True, March 7, 1916.

Rix Gins

Some clippings from the March 7, 1916 Day Book.

Rix Gins

The March 7, 1916 Daily Bonanza.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2016, 04:56:11 PM

Astonishng!  Can "Zadig" really be a reference to Voltaire?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zadig

And interesting to see what really goes on inside a Masonic hall.  It seems every little town around here has one, frequently the most impressive structure next to the church.

And Folgers gives excellent advice.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2016, 04:56:11 PM
Poor Mr.MacLaughlin: getting all spiffed up in the hopes of accompanying the girls and their moms on the trip! Haha.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on March 07, 2016, 05:46:39 PM
Astonishng!  Can "Zadig" really be a reference to Voltaire?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zadig

And interesting to see what really goes on inside a Masonic hall.  It seems every little town around here has one, frequently the most impressive structure next to the church.

And Folgers gives excellent advice.
My uncle back in 'Small Town' USA had to update some records at the local Masonic hall (more like a big room actually) and he let me tag along.  It was dark and just as we reached the building a Deputy Fife type approached us, wondering what we were up to. My uncle took advantage of the situation to report that the Masonic ceremonial sword had been stolen.  Turned out that it was the second night that the new kid was out patrolling and it was funny to see him taking it all so seriously...acting like Joe Friday..."And approximately how long was the sword?" etc.  Anyway, up in the hall, I got to check some of the stuff out.  There was a big globe that had a cord with a switch on it and I so wanted to click it on but I knew better.  Lots of bizarre things in there.  My uncle didn't turn the lights on but you could see pretty good anyway due to the street lights.  That place was creepy.  I didn't let on in front of my uncle but I started feeling really weird.  I guess I can safely say that it was just about the only time that I had ever been under some type of psychic attack. 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2016, 04:53:09 PM
Some clippings from the March 7, 1916 Day Book.
The anti-Catholic speaker at the Masonic temple is an interesting story. So much of our, and others', history is, depending on time and location anti-Masonic and/or anti-Catholic and both of those groups are also always against each other! Crazy. Then again, where there is smoke there is fire sometimes and secrecy or elitism in general breeds suspicion.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2016, 07:42:12 PM
My uncle back in 'Small Town' USA had to update some records at the local Masonic hall (more like a big room actually) and he let me tag along.  It was dark and just as we reached the building a Deputy Fife type approached us, wondering what we were up to. My uncle took advantage of the situation to report that the Masonic ceremonial sword had been stolen.  Turned out that it was the second night that the new kid was out patrolling and it was funny to see him taking it all so seriously...acting like Joe Friday..."And approximately how long was the sword?" etc.  Anyway, up in the hall, I got to check some of the stuff out.  There was a big globe that had a cord with a switch on it and I so wanted to click it on but I knew better.  Lots of bizarre things in there.  My uncle didn't turn the lights on but you could see pretty good anyway due to the street lights.  That place was creepy.  I didn't let on in front of my uncle but I started feeling really weird.  I guess I can safely say that it was just about the only time that I had ever been under some type of psychic attack.

Cool story!  A quick search shows globes to be a common feature:

What is the dark one?  A star map?  Are these something like what you saw?

Rix Gins

It seems like it was bigger than those in the pics and was sitting on a table of sorts. It seemed to be more like a centerpiece to the room.  I remember looking down at it and not up at it. I knew from the cord that it lit up and it seems like it was made out of soft material like what Japanese lanterns are made of, only it was in the shape of a fairly big globe.  There was also a big poster there that said "He has come from the East and has risen"...or something like that.  Oh yeah, I didn't recognize any features on the globe but pretty sure it had blue oceans and oddly enough, black land formations.  I forgot to mention earlier that this happened like, oh, 48 years ago or so.  lol

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 07, 2016, 08:20:56 PM
It seems like it was bigger than those in the pics and was sitting on a table of sorts. It seemed to be more like a centerpiece to the room.  I remember looking down at it and not up at it. I knew from the cord that it lit up and it seems like it was made out of soft material like what Japanese lanterns are made of, only it was in the shape of a fairly big globe.  There was also a big poster there that said "He has come from the East and has risen"...or something like that.  Oh yeah, I didn't recognize any features on the globe but pretty sure it had blue oceans and oddly enough, black land formations.  I forgot to mention earlier that this happened like, oh, 48 years ago or so.  lol

Fascinating stuff!  Would love to have poked around in there.