• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 15, 1920.

(The king would be dead in ten more days.)

Rix Gins

October 15, 1920.  Public Domain

Jackstar

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 15, 2020, 02:01:29 AM

Jewel says: it wasn't her, and wishes to know why anyone would ever bother to incarnate as a monkey.

I will be honest: I can't tell if she's joking, or if she's grown up a whole lot lately. Of course, my testimony is this: We had nothing to do with the killing any kings and/or Kings whatsoever, in any timeline, ever, at all. Why would either of us ever do such a thing? Note that: We are using the word "kings" here.

(Okay, now, it's getting weird: you'll just ask me what a king was. F*** this. This is way, way, whey beyond my pay grade. Come back when you're serious. End of line.)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 16, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 16, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

October 17, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

October 18, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 16, 2020, 01:57:49 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 16, 1920.

Why even mention that the motorist was not injured? Given all of the headlines posted here which would result in certain death for modern man, I think it is a given that the supermen of a century back could withstand a pole falling on them...  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on October 18, 2020, 01:51:58 AM
Why even mention that the motorist was not injured? Given all of the headlines posted here which would result in certain death for modern man, I think it is a given that the supermen of a century back could withstand a pole falling on them...  ;)

WOTR, here is a page from the 10-18-20 Argus because I don't have the time to reproduce the articles.
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn92053933/1920-10-18/ed-1/seq-14/ 
A girl got thrown out of a car and was pinned under it.  Bruises and a few cuts.  A man crashed his car into a tree because he was drunk.  No injuries.  A boy on a bike was hit by a car.  Critical condition.  That last one was sad.  Hope the kid made it.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 18, 2020, 01:47:12 AM
October 18, 1920.  Public Domain

A Pussyfoot Six? They don't make 'em like that anymore!

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 19, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 19, 1920.  Public Domain

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 19, 2020, 01:58:05 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 19, 1920.

Yikes

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 19, 2020, 01:58:05 AM

That's ugly given the early pain killers that would have been available and the risks of infection in burns.

WOTR

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 18, 2020, 09:45:56 AM
A Pussyfoot Six? They don't make 'em like that anymore!

It's amazing what has been lost. Do a search of the net for that term and find that it just does not really exist. Yet it would have been common enough back then that the illustrator assumed that his audience would know the term (even without google.)  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 15, 2020, 02:01:29 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 15, 1920.

Source of HIV/AIDS? A Greek. King. Monkeys. Dr.Vidal (maybe the inventor of Vitalis hair tonic later once he fled to the USA?) 

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 20, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 20, 1920.  Public Domain

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 20, 2020, 01:13:57 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 20, 1920.

"Early attempts at establishing a C.H.A.Z. were disappointingly unsuccessful."

Rix Gins

From the library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 21, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 21, 1920.   Public Domain

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 21, 2020, 01:13:28 AM
From the library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 21, 1920.

A straight-up who-done-it! But look, the struggle was caught on film!

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 22, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 22, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 23, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 23, 1920.  Public Domain

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 23, 2020, 01:37:24 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 23, 1920.

My Granddaddy was from Bakersfield. Man that is an old old man and what a way to go!

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 23, 2020, 01:37:24 AM

What the HELL was he smoking in his pipe? I just put down a nice meerschaum pipe and finished a bowl of Rattrays "Marlin flake." It's not like I have not puffed a little myself. But never in my life have I had a pipe burning in such a manner that it would throw sparks. Much less be capable of igniting my clothing.

I suppose the less charitable question would be "how drunk was he when he passed out and emptied the smouldering tobacco embers onto his pant leg?" The more charitable version would say that at 138 years old he may have suffered a medical emergency and dumped his pipe out onto his breast pocket by mistake during a convulsion...

WOTR

Quote from: SpaceMeowMaid on October 23, 2020, 02:45:57 AM
My Granddaddy was from Bakersfield. Man that is an old old man and what a way to go!

Everybody wants to go out in a blaze of glory.  ;)