• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

WOTR

Spontaneous combustion of oily coveralls? Good thing the mechanic had stripped them off for the day.  ;)

Rix Gins

March 27, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

March 29, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

March 30, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

March 31, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 01, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 1, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

April 2, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

April 3, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

April 4, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 05, 1920.

stevesh

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 05, 2020, 02:22:21 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 05, 1920.

There was one guy guarding the place?

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 05, 2020, 02:22:21 AM

“...and having been shot probably fatally...”.  You don’t hear plain-speak like that from the news media anymore. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on April 05, 2020, 01:17:22 PM
“...and having been shot probably fatally...”.  You don’t hear plain-speak like that from the news media anymore.

Or calling a guy Piggy.  haha 

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.   The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 06, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 6, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on April 05, 2020, 01:17:22 PM

I have taken to making fun of the media. I now see reports along the lines that there was a house invasion, that the occupant was shot, and the the station is waiting on the cause of death...

Rix Gins

April 7, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 08, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 8, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 08, 2020, 02:34:24 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 08, 1920.

The head of a studio in a fist fight? He just does not look all that tough (I suppose that Chaplin does not look overly tough either.)

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on April 09, 2020, 12:32:08 AM
The head of a studio in a fist fight? He just does not look all that tough (I suppose that Chaplin does not look overly tough either.)

Of course they were both fairly young at the time.  Mayer wouldn't start MGM for yet another four years.  I wonder if Chaplin's estranged wife got involved in the fray? 
Quote'The film comedian's nose showed several deep scratches today.'

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 09, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 9, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 10, 1920.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 10, 2020, 02:21:21 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 10, 1920.

Thanks for continuing to document the amazing ability of our forefathers' ability to wreck cars and walk away relatively unscathed.

WOTR

I suppose I may double post this- here and in the covid thread...

I was traveling through Saskatchewan just about a year ago. I have a habit of stopping at graveyards if I am alone on the road- and I usually take a picture or two of markers that interest me.

So- what caught my eye last year? There were a number of interesting markers. A couple of recent "home made" markers. You could tell that somebody cared, but didn't have the money for a "proper" marker. It's not something I commonly see (nor something that cemeteries commonly allow.) The cemetary is near Saskatoon, and  here are two of the markers. The one reminds us that life is fleeting. Perhaps less than it was a hundred years ago. We no longer "expect" to lose our infants- but there is a date for each of us.

The other fits in perfectly with the 100 years ago theme. 24 unknown souls. You have to imagine that the men / women with families were "known." These would have been people whose names have disappeared in less than 100 years. People put in the ground who were farm labourers or unmarried with nobody to care. It did catch my eye as interesting.

*I just looked up the Smithville cemetery and it has a reputation as being haunted.

[attachment=1,msg1387806]  [attachment=2,msg1387806]

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 10, 2020, 09:17:36 PM

Thanks for continuing to document the amazing ability of our forefathers' ability to wreck cars and walk away relatively unscathed.

You bet, Mr. a.  Yes, the people of Rock Island, Illinois were lucky indeed as far as auto accidents were concerned.  Not so lucky in regards to the Spanish Flu, though.  Every time I check the paper from that time, at least two or three people have died from pneumonia, the end result of them having suffered from the flu, for several months on end in some cases.

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on April 11, 2020, 12:20:53 AM
I suppose I may double post this- here and in the covid thread...

I was traveling through Saskatchewan just about a year ago. I have a habit of stopping at graveyards if I am alone on the road- and I usually take a picture or two of markers that interest me.

So- what caught my eye last year? There were a number of interesting markers. A couple of recent "home made" markers. You could tell that somebody cared, but didn't have the money for a "proper" marker. It's not something I commonly see (nor something that cemeteries commonly allow.) The cemetary is near Saskatoon, and  here are two of the markers. The one reminds us that life is fleeting. Perhaps less than it was a hundred years ago. We no longer "expect" to lose our infants- but there is a date for each of us.

The other fits in perfectly with the 100 years ago theme. 24 unknown souls. You have to imagine that the men / women with families were "known." These would have been people whose names have disappeared in less than 100 years. People put in the ground who were farm labourers or unmarried with nobody to care. It did catch my eye as interesting.

*I just looked up the Smithville cemetery and it has a reputation as being haunted.

[attachment=1,msg1387806]  [attachment=2,msg1387806]

Interesting to see the years 1918 to 1920 noted on the marker to the right.  I used to think that the Spanish Flu had petered out in 1919 but as I noted above, there were still lots of people coming down with it in 1920.  Not pandemic levels in 1920 but there was a constant flow of cases from 1918 to 1920.