• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 08, 2016, 03:23:23 PM
Great building, Mr D.  I have read the program and I need your advice.  I have bailed Trixie out of the hoosegow and have promised her a show at the Coliseum.  (To help take her mind off her legal troubles, you know.)  Should I take her to see Anna Held in "Madame Presidente" or Geraldine Farrar in "Temptation?"  My trips to tha past are far and in between so I like to make the most of them.  In other words, which show will be best to "get her in the mood?"   ;D

What a delicious conceit!  Oh surely Temptation, both for the salacious title and as it is a lost film; Madame Presidente still has a chance at re-release.

May I suggest you stop for a nightcap at one of Seattle's many fine establishments?  You don't have long; Prohibition in Seattle started sometime in 1916 -- I haven't found the date yet.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 08, 2016, 03:20:22 PM
Before that, it seems like it was common for people to become awyers just by spending a couple of years clerking for an established attorney and reading whatever law books were available. I'm not sure when bar exams were introduced and should probably go look that up.
I think, only think, Illinois was the last to eliminate that (due to legacy of Lincoln doing so.) Oregon and Texas had it, I think, up to the 80's (I don't recall) where one could take the Bar and if passed hang a shingle. I think the various State Bars pretty locked it up tight now.
ps: I guess I was wrong:
http://thelawdictionary.org/article/be-a-lawyer-with-no-law-school/

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 08, 2016, 03:32:19 PM
What a delicious conceit!  Oh surely Temptation, both for the salacious title and as it is a lost film; Madame Presidente still has a chance at re-release.

May I suggest you stop for a nightcap at one of Seattle's many fine establishments?  You don't have long; Prohibition in Seattle started sometime in 1916 -- I haven't found the date yet.

Thanks K, will do. Think I'll pick up a couple bottles after the show.  I wonder, do you think there was price gouging going on after that announcement?  It's hard to get info on the prices of things from the distant past but the saving grace is in old photographs.  Sometimes they will show a storefront that shows the prices of things like groceries, clothes and other stuff.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 08, 2016, 03:57:53 PM
Thanks K, will do. Think I'll pick up a couple bottles after the show.  I wonder, do you think there was price gouging going on after that announcement?  It's hard to get info on the prices of things from the distant past but the saving grace is in old photographs.  Sometimes they will show a storefront that shows the prices of things like groceries, clothes and other stuff.

Oh I am sure there was!  But I found the date; it was January 1st.  I'm sorry, you are already too late.

But speakeasies sprang up quickly here, replenished by fast, rakish-looking speedboats from Canada.  You may have to venture down one of those dark Chinatown alleys.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 08, 2016, 04:08:41 PM
Oh I am sure there was!  But I found the date; it was January 1st.  I'm sorry, you are already too late.

But speakeasies sprang up quickly here, replenished by fast, rakish-looking speedboats from Canada.  You may have to venture down one of those dark Chinatown alleys.

No prob.  I just bailed out ol' Diamond Tooth himself to be my bodyguard.  I hope he can be trusted.  I really want to experience those neon sign reflections that you wrote about on an earlier post.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 08, 2016, 04:16:33 PM
No prob.  I just bailed out ol' Diamond Tooth himself to be my bodyguard.  I hope he can be trusted.  I really want to experience those neon sign reflections that you wrote about on an earlier post.

Hahaha just keep your hand on your watch-chain.  The man is a lotus-eater of the worst kind.

I believe that yours is, like mine, a simple, hefty one of graduated sterling links, each individually hallmarked.  Gold is for tycoons and flash coves.

One hundred years ago today on  January 8th, 1916 the brand spanking new Russian battleship Empress Catherine the Great and the German battle cruiser Goeben  [flying under the flag of the Ottoman Empire] engaged in a long range naval rifle duel in the Black Sea.   While not hit, the Goeben was straddled by salvos at a range of 24,000 yards.   As near as I can tell that was a record up until that time - an impressive achievement for the Imperial Russian Navy!

The  Empress Catherine the Great  would not have a long career.  The Soviets would scuttle her to avoid the ship being turned over to Germany after the collapse of Imperial Russia.     The Goeben would had an amazing life - she avoided the British  Mediterranean  fleet at the outbreak of WWI and would reach refuge in Istanbul.  Once there, Germany transferred her to the Ottoman Empire and she was renamed Yavuz Sultan Selim .  The Yavuz would survive the war and remained the flagship of the Turkish navy up until 1950. Typically it is considered bad luck to rename a vessel but not in this case.

Empress Catherine the Great

Goeben|Yayuz

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 08, 2016, 04:58:38 PM
One hundred years ago today on  January 8th, 1916 the brand spanking new Russian battleship Empress Catherine the Great and the German battle cruiser Goeben  [flying under the flag of the Ottoman Empire] engaged in a long range naval rifle duel in the Black Sea.   While not hit, the Goeben was straddled by salvos at a range of 24,000 yards.   As near as I can tell that was a record up until that time - an impressive achievement for the Imperial Russian Navy!

The  Empress Catherine the Great  would not have a long career.  The Soviets would scuttle her to avoid the ship being turned over to Germany after the collapse of Imperial Russia.     The Goeben would had an amazing life - she avoided the British  Mediterranean  fleet at the outbreak of WWI and would reach refuge in Istanbul.  Once there, Germany transferred her to the Ottoman Empire and she was renamed Yavuz Sultan Selim .  The Yavuz would survive the war and remained the flagship of the Turkish navy up until 1950. Typically it is considered bad luck to rename a vessel but not in this case.

Empress Catherine the Great

Goeben|Yayuz

Thanks!  That's a fascinating story.  Just imagining those ships chasing each other is exhilarating.

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 08, 2016, 05:19:23 PM
Thanks!  That's a fascinating story.  Just imagining those ships chasing each other is exhilarating.

No problem - The Goeben's evasion of the British fleet at the start of the war is quite a story.  All the more so
because few if any ships of that time used fuel oil but instead were coal fired.   So to load fuel you had to find a friendly
port or a safe place to hook up with a collier to take on more coal.   Nasty, dirty work.

Here is the route the Goeben took:

More information here:   http://www.worldwar1.com/sfgb.htm

Jeez I am liking this thread - I hope MV doesn't shut it down.   Not very Art Bell/Coast to Coast related!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 08, 2016, 05:29:42 PM
No problem - The Goeben's evasion of the British fleet at the start of the war is quite a story.  All the more so
because few if any ships of that time used fuel oil but instead were coal fired.   So to load fuel you had to find a friendly
port or a safe place to hook up with a collier to take on more coal.   Nasty, dirty work.

Jeez I am liking this thread - I hope MV doesn't shut it down.   Not very Art Bell/Coast to Coast related!

It reads like Admiral Souchon decided on his own to turn Turk and then provoked war with Russia.  I know Royal Navy commanders exercised vast latitude prior to the age of fast communication but I'm surprised to encounter the same behavior in the German navy at such a late date.

Rix Gins

Oh, I think MV enjoys this kind of stuff.  There was a spirit photo (paranormal) posted not too far back by Pye.  And there's radio related stuff going on a hundred years back.

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 08, 2016, 05:52:25 PM
Oh, I think MV enjoys this kind of stuff.  There was a spirit photo (paranormal) posted not too far back by Pye.  And there's radio related stuff going on a hundred years back.

Then there is that 1,000 page Falkie nightmare........

Good point.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 08, 2016, 05:56:53 PM
Then there is that 1,000 page Falkie nightmare........

Good point.

Just to be on the safe side.  lol

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 08, 2016, 05:49:42 PM
It reads like Admiral Souchon decided on his own to turn Turk and then provoked war with Russia.  I know Royal Navy commanders exercised vast latitude prior to the age of fast communication but I'm surprised to encounter the same behavior in the German navy at such a late date.

War with Russia was a given and long planned for per the Schlieffen Plan.  The idea was to hold off the Russians in the east and knock the snot out of the French in the West.   Dragging in the Ottoman's was a brilliant move for the Central powers as the Entente had tons of territory they now had to fret over and defend.   

So one guys initiative ended up having a huge impact on the world.  If the Goeben doesn't make it, perhaps no one ever hears of Lawrence of Arabia, there is no Balfour Declaration or an Armenian genocide.  Who knows>

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 08, 2016, 02:38:38 PM

It's a little disorienting to see people of that era in athletic dress since it looks like they're posing in their skivvies.  I wonder how they must have seemed to their peers.

My best guess is that all the downtown ladies called him "Treetop Lover" and the men just called him "Sir."

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 08, 2016, 06:32:13 PM
My best guess is that all the downtown ladies called him "Treetop Lover" and the men just called him "Sir."

Just need Art's time machine to go back and nab him.   I suspect he could watch Bateman's back well enough.   

Jim Thorpe was a pretty tough looking guy:

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 08, 2016, 07:48:22 PM
Jim Thorpe was a pretty tough looking guy:

No kidding! That picture was taken on his twentieth birthday.

All kidding aside, even though he's best known for getting screwed out of the medals he won at the 1912 Olympics by the IOC, he went on to be one of the most accomplished professional athletes of his time.  He played professional basketball, Major League Baseball, and played a significant role in the creation of the NFL.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

GravitySucks

Zero percent chance of MV shutting it down just because it is not related to the show. 98% chance of it being shut down if people keep saying they like it. So STFU.

😎

K_Dubb

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 08, 2016, 06:32:13 PM

Hahaha Treetop Lover.  Where do you get this stuff?

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 08, 2016, 09:12:16 PM
Hahaha Treetop Lover.  Where do you get this stuff?

Jim Croce.  I heard Bad Bad Leroy Brown for the first time in years on the radio the other day while driving to the groccery store, and it just got stuck in my head. 

Rix Gins

Submitted on May 5, 1916.  Look at the date that it was accepted.  "Further objects of my invention will appear from a consideration of the same appearing hereinafter."  I bet Mr Jone's lawyer put that in there.

On January 9th, 1916 Vic Mizzy was born in Brooklyn.

Mizzy was a prominent song writer who wrote songs that became hits when sung by Doris Day and the Andrews Sisters.
However he is best known for the themes to the Addam's Family and Green Acres.  He sure had a long life - passing away in 2009.    http://www.vicmizzy.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk

P.S.  Although many may be surprised, Eddie Albert from Green Acres was a 100%, dyed in the wool, genuine war hero. 
       He saved the life of well over three dozen Marines in the hell that was the lagoon at Tarawa.   [True Story]

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 08, 2016, 10:22:40 PM
Jim Croce.  I heard Bad Bad Leroy Brown for the first time in years on the radio the other day while driving to the groccery store, and it just got stuck in my head.

I'm in the same boat now.    Great

"Badder than old King Kong"

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 09, 2016, 01:04:23 PM

Mizzy was a prominent song writer who wrote songs that became hits when sung by Doris Day and the Andrews Sisters.
However he is best known for the themes to the Addam's Family and Green Acres.  He sure had a long life - passing away in 2009.    http://www.vicmizzy.com/

Love those theme songs!  Here's some backstory to the Addam's Family theme.  Sounds like Filmways was run by some real cheapskates!

"For his theme song, Mizzy played a harpsichord, which gives the theme its unique flavor. And because the production company, Filmways, refused to pay for singers, Mizzy sang it himself and overdubbed it three times."

QuoteP.S.  Although many may be surprised, Eddie Albert from Green Acres was a 100%, dyed in the wool, genuine war hero. 
       He saved the life of well over three dozen Marines in the hell that was the lagoon at Tarawa.   [True Story]

I learned about that a few years ago. Very impressive!

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 09, 2016, 01:06:11 PM
I'm in the same boat now.    Great

"Badder than old King Kong"

I am truly sorry for that! I should have realized how infectious those ear worms can be!  :o

K_Dubb

For a taste of what our great-grandparents were watching, here's a short funny movie released a hundred years ago today starring (among other luminaries) a very good dog.  The music is a little anachronistic but you still get the flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXmnHWvrvKY

The neighbor's son is kind of a proto-Urkel, I think.  I love the polite signage on the car when they marry and the fast little speedboats in the rescue scene.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 09, 2016, 01:04:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk

P.S.  Although many may be surprised, Eddie Albert from Green Acres was a 100%, dyed in the wool, genuine war hero. 

And Maxine Andrews was born January 3, 1916!

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 09, 2016, 01:31:09 PM
I am truly sorry for that! I should have realized how infectious those ear worms can be!  :o

'tis ok.  My daughter and I play a silly game where we take turns playing youtube's of different songs to each other.   The first one to hit pause on a tune is the loser.   I almost always win because I know who the Captain and Tennille are (along with other 70's songs|artists).     It is getting harder - the last time we played I had to drop back to the '60's for the kill shot with the Singing Nun