• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: momijithing~awoo on December 21, 2016, 12:57:30 AM
cool i might do that. i never been big into video games but i have a original xbox i play halo combat evolved on fairly often. I also have a PS2 that i play vice city on once in a while i have played the new GTA and like it but not enough to spend $300 on the counsel and $60 on the game so i will just keep playing Vice City lol

I still have an original xbox too. I was a great console with lots of interesting games for it. I still have never ventured into PS2 but understand there's lots of great games for it too. I still don't have a current gen system though. The original Wii was the last one I bought.

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 21, 2016, 12:49:10 AM
I'm playing NES games lately. What's your favorite lesser known NES game and why?

I thought long and hard and am going with Skinhead City and Lesbian Tennis.

Orb 3D, which was a puzzle solving game, each level is a riddle you have to solve by toggling icons as you fly/circle/loop through them, and it must be done before running out of fuel. It's kind of cross between Time Pilot, Mah Jong, Connect Four and Pong. It was actually a really awesome game.

Xenophobe, left to right scrolling shooter. You upgrade/change guns like you would in Contra but it's not at all like Contra. More like Kung Fu Master meets Aliens, or maybe Elevator Action with a scrolling screen. Really cool game, but difficulty is not that hard so you can easily play infinitely until you decide to quit. Good characters and scenery, plus there was a cool stacked split screen when playing multi player mode. I think the arcade supported 3 players, not sure if the NES also had option for more than 2 players.

Solomon's Key was also good. It was kind of a Mr Do type of game.

More popular games that were fun:

Baseball Simulator .1000. Excellent baseball game for NES, possible the most enjoyable of all of them IMO and I think I have played most if not all available baseball games for NES. There were several really good baseball games for NES but I enjoyed this game most for many reasons, one being custom league/6 user-built teams and rosters, plus the ability to play/save/continue if playing season mode. There were a half dozen interesting parks too, and one was in outer space with insanely low homerun walls in the outfield. I play it on my phone often and accumulate a lot of fielding errors. I have a hard time coming up with the ball using a touchscreen.

Also...

Blades of Steel
Gauntlet II
Strider
Dr Mario
Skate or Die!
Star Wars
Super Sprint
Rampage
Bubble Bobble 1-2
Qix

comaphobe

cool i might do that. i never been big into video games but i have a original xbox i play halo combat evolved on fairly often. I also have a PS2 that i play vice city on once in a while i have played the new GTA and like it but not enough to spend $300 on the counsel and $60 on the game so i will just keep playing Vice City lol

If you like Vice City, try Vice City Stories on PS2. It is a really good prequel to Vice City and takes place (in 1984) 2 years earlier than Vice City (1986). It has a new soundtrack and many returning characters and voice actors from the original Vice City. Some parts of the city are undeveloped, as it takes place 2 years prior to Vice City, and certain landmarks are under construction in the prequel. Sunshine Autos is in their old location down the street and the Sunshine Autos showroom from VC is under construction in VCS with just the foundation poured with some rebar showing. Also, North Point Mall is kind of a drab place and lacking the skylights and trimmings that were in Vice City. There is also a small amusement park with a ferris wheel somewhere just North of Washington Beach near the cop shop. Also, unique jumps have been relocated or modified. You will also have access to some areas that were off-limits in Vice City (properties, etc).

Instead of collecting 100 Tiki idols like in Vice City, you seek out and shoot 99 red balloons in Vice City Stories. These are the hidden packages.

The game was made for PSP, but ported to PS2. It is a hell of a lot easier to play on a PS2 because the control scheme is more user friendly, where as on the PSP some controls (analog right, as well as L2 and R2) are completely missing and that can make things a little bit stressful when multitasking (IE: driving/doing drive-by shooting/rotating camera/keeping an eye out while doing all the above at the same time).

I loved Vice City, and bought Vice City Stories on a whim when it came out. I was really happy with Vice City Stories, and it was like playing Vice City all over again, except different missions and music as well as some scenery changes. I think there were several new vehicles as well. A couple of modes were also adapted from San Andreas too, like gang warfare (I think it's called Empire mode in VCS). Also, you could swim for a limited time in VCS, where as in VC if you were to land in the water you would be dead almost instantly.

Overall it is a really great counterpart to Vice City. You can probably find it used for $5 or $10 somewhere. I found a sealed one for PSP in the summer for $10. I think I paid $30+ tax for the PS2 version when it first came out, and that was money well spent for more Vice City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_n4W0Dp-4g

zeebo

Quote from: comaphobe on December 21, 2016, 03:39:59 AM
If you like Vice City, try Vice City Stories on PS2. It is a really good prequel to Vice City and takes place (in 1984) 2 years earlier than Vice City (1986)....

Thanks for all the good info, cp.  I loved VC back in the day.  One of those few games I played through two or three more times just to fool around with the extra fun stuff.  Such a fun game that was.  Now I want to check out VCS, but have no console.  (I keep buying used PS2's, thinking I'm done with them, then selling them, then regretting it).

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on December 21, 2016, 11:48:22 PM
Thanks for all the good info, cp.  I loved VC back in the day.  One of those few games I played through two or three more times just to fool around with the extra fun stuff.  Such a fun game that was.  Now I want to check out VCS, but have no console.  (I keep buying used PS2's, thinking I'm done with them, then selling them, then regretting it).

It was released on the PSP also, which you can usually find for about $40 used these days.  ;)

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 21, 2016, 11:58:25 PM
It was released on the PSP also, which you can usually find for about $40 used these days.  ;)

The units are dirt cheap now and so are the games, you can't go wrong. It's a good time to be collecting UMDs. Like the PS2, the PSP catalog was amazing and there were a ton of games of all types available. Some series had 5 to 7 games on PSP. I think I have 4 or 5 Need For Speed games and there are still a couple in the series that I don't have. I downloaded NFS Most Wanted in late 2000s and loved it so I actually paid for it later on, then started trying to accumulate other NFS games. I never actually played these on PS2, but they have been absolutely great on PSP.

PSP had 3 GTA games, not including any downloadable PS1 versions. I wasn't a huge fan of GTA3 or Liberty City Stories, I prefer GTA 2, San Andreas, or Vice City. I'll be honest, I played GTA4 at a friends house on his XBox a couple times when it was relatively new and it had no soul, just like GTA3. I completed neither of them.

I don't play any shooters but I buy games in groups and in lots from private sellers and have accumulated a stack of SOCOM games that I don't know what to do with. Some are the same game but different edition, or from a multipack with multipack branding. I don't know what to do with these frigging things, there is a small stack now. I'm starting to get doubles of several games. Gonna have a sale soon once I assess where I am at with this. I think I have 2 complete near mint/excellent condition Metal Gear PSP collections, except for the digital graphic novel, I don't have that yet, and I have no Solid Eye for Metal Gear Ac!d 2 and wish I knew where to locate one outside of Ebay. Metal Gear Ac!d 2 was excellent, I am sadden there wasn't a third game. I played that one through about 3-4 times and still trying to unlock the last 8% of the card deck 10 years later. I think there are a couple hundred hours of accumulative play time on my save file. One time I was on a train for 2.5 days and played this game non-stop. It has all the sounds and personality of MGS except you're playing cards on a 3 dimensional board which is aligned/blocked like a grid. The first game has more of a classic Metal Gear aesthetic, but the sequel has much improved gameplay. It is possibly my favorite game on the system, excluding anything Hot Shots or Ace Combat. I would love the Hot Shots Golf Coca Cola Edition with case and manual. I cannot find one anywhere.

Taaroa

Quote from: comaphobe on December 22, 2016, 03:49:04 AM
It is possibly my favorite game on the system, excluding anything Hot Shots or Ace Combat.
My vote goes to Wipeout Pure which was an all around great game and one of the best on the system even if it was a launch title. Haven't touched my PSP in years now, but I have been meaning to see if I can digitise my games collection for it in case the console is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhX-SjQse4Y

comaphobe

Quote from: Taaroa on December 22, 2016, 04:41:20 AM
My vote goes to Wipeout Pure which was an all around great game and one of the best on the system even if it was a launch title. Haven't touched my PSP in years now, but I have been meaning to see if I can digitise my games collection for it in case the console is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhX-SjQse4Y

That series was cool. I had one of them for PS2, I think it was Fusion... and I have either this or Pulse for PSP but it's hardly touched.

Did you ever play SSX? It was a snowboarding game (EA Big) with similar visuals as Wipeout. SSX3 for PS2 was great. There was one for PSP called SSX On Tour.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 22, 2016, 04:41:20 AM

It's weird. I love F-Zero but I could never get into a groove with the Wipeout games.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 22, 2016, 05:01:03 AM
It's weird. I love F-Zero but I could never get into a groove with the Wipeout games.
I tend think of Wipeout as the grown up version of F-zero - less cartoony and silly, and probably less exploitable glitch wise.

Quote from: comaphobe on December 22, 2016, 04:56:28 AM
That series was cool. I had one of them for PS2, I think it was Fusion... and I have either this or Pulse for PSP but it's hardly touched.

Did you ever play SSX? It was a snowboarding game (EA Big) with similar visuals as Wipeout. SSX3 for PS2 was great. There was one for PSP called SSX On Tour.

Pulse was okay, but not as good as Pure (and I think this isn't an uncommon belief).
Never played an SSX game, closest I've gotten was Snowboard Kids 2 on the N64.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 22, 2016, 05:33:02 AM
I tend think of Wipeout as the grown up version of F-zero - less cartoony and silly, and probably less exploitable glitch wise.

Different physics though. Both have the same kind of pinball bumper mechanics but in Wipeout you almost come to a complete stop when you bump into something. I find that frustrating.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 22, 2016, 05:47:31 AM
Different physics though. Both have the same kind of pinball bumper mechanics but in Wipeout you almost come to a complete stop when you bump into something. I find that frustrating.
Maybe it's a bit of a more realistic (as far as you can get when we're talking about antigravity racing games) portrayal in Wipeout. I know in some of the games you use air brakes to do tighter turns or to stop quickly in addition to your normal turning mechanisms, which is probably what I'd expect to see if it were a thing in reality.

It would be interesting to see what a modern F-Zero would be like, but it seems Nintendo would rather keep milking Mario for all it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esY2zdIsKaI

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 22, 2016, 06:32:06 AM
Maybe it's a bit of a more realistic (as far as you can get when we're talking about antigravity racing games) portrayal in Wipeout. I know in some of the games you use air brakes to do tighter turns or to stop quickly in addition to your normal turning mechanisms, which is probably what I'd expect to see if it were a thing in reality.

It would be interesting to see what a modern F-Zero would be like, but it seems Nintendo would rather keep milking Mario for all it's worth.

They did make more modern versions for GC and beyond and I don't like them. They're more like Wipeout. I only like the original SNES and the ones for GBA.

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 22, 2016, 05:47:31 AM

Plus I think if you bump into things too much, you power down and explode and then you are totally out of the race.

Quote from: Taaroa on December 22, 2016, 06:32:06 AM

I would like to play a modern Super Mario Kart. I had clones for PS1, one was Chocobo's Racing and another had the characters and violence of Looney Tunes. Both were pretty good but I always missed actual Mario Kart. I mostly played the Super Nintendo one.

Sometimes I want to get a GBA or a DS just to play any Mario Kart games that were available.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on December 23, 2016, 01:41:20 AM
Sometimes I want to get a GBA or a DS just to play any Mario Kart games that were available.

Can't you emulate these on your PSP?

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 23, 2016, 01:48:54 AM

You can emulate them on PC pretty well

Quote from: comaphobe on December 23, 2016, 01:41:20 AM
I had clones for PS1, one was Chocobo's Racing and another had the characters and violence of Looney Tunes.
The original Crash Team Racing was a pretty great Mario Kart-like game - I'd even go as far as saying it's better.

Dr. MD MD

Dude, you're going to have a Japangasm over this!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0Gjv5Hv1k

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 23, 2016, 09:50:34 PM
Dude, you're going to have a Japangasm over this!  ;D

lol at 'Japangasm' ... It's the equivalent of eating ramen noodles, while listening to an un-translated anime soundtrack, and playing a pirated Japan-version-only RPG.   :D

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 23, 2016, 01:48:54 AM

I can do GBA and just checked my files and do have Mario Kart Super Circuit in there but don't remember ever playing it.

I don't have a DS emulator that will work, I can only play d/l'ed games and homebrews that are signed, but only on a PSP with 6.3X or less. I had a black 3000 that I intended to mod but the screen went black about 18 months ago. It came with a knockoff battery so I blame that. But I now have a black 1000 and a blue 2000 with firmware I don't care about and willing to mess with but prefer somebody else does it because I don't want to brick a PSP.

mikuthing01

Brianna Wu is still lying about the Jace Conors incident LOL That tranny is insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GhaqHL8GOk

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 02, 2017, 04:07:48 AM
Oh oh! Pat got triggered.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-szFw4mCcsU

listening now..who ever this guy is...might actually..be wrong

he is wrong in the fact that..Nintendo actually never has grown up..nothing wrong with that..but they keep pumping out the exact same games ..every year or so

the mini nintendo is literally..much like the iphone..its more of a ..well hipster thing..status thing in a way

frankly also..his name is Pat the NES Punk..thats already going in with a vastly skewed view already

IMO..Nintendo isn't dying..but it is starting to get to the point of..irrelevancy...least in the system market..what was their last really good console? they keep trying to keep up with PS and MS..but they keep going wiht gimmicks when it comes to making their new consoles..and they are always..vastly underpowered

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on January 02, 2017, 02:25:54 PM
listening now..who ever this guy is...might actually..be wrong

he is wrong in the fact that..Nintendo actually never has grown up..nothing wrong with that..but they keep pumping out the exact same games ..every year or so

the mini nintendo is literally..much like the iphone..its more of a ..well hipster thing..status thing in a way

frankly also..his name is Pat the NES Punk..thats already going in with a vastly skewed view already

IMO..Nintendo isn't dying..but it is starting to get to the point of..irrelevancy...least in the system market..what was their last really good console? they keep trying to keep up with PS and MS..but they keep going wiht gimmicks when it comes to making their new consoles..and they are always..vastly underpowered

He's an unabashed Nintendo fanboy. No doubt. I just find Pat to be one of the few reliable YouTubers who discusses current video gaming news on a regular basis without geting bogged down in the minutia of Let's Plays and Top 10 lists, though they can sometimes be fun too. You seem to have a bit of an axe to grind against them, though I do understand and agree with your points, for the most part. However, I don't think that some 40 year old dude who isn't a big computer guy but still wants to be able to play a bunch of the old games on his newer TV is trying to be a hipster and anyone who would buy a NES Classic to look cool is probably already used to that sort of thing backfiring on them.  ;)

I think it would be a mistake for Nintendo to just try to be another in the PS/Xbox arena. They've always been distinct from that to some extent. Yes, their churning of the same IPs constantly is a bit hack but, at the same time, people would bitch if they didn't get an iteration of the classics on their latest Nintendo console. As long as they also continue to innovate and introduce new IPs I'm OK with that.