• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on February 27, 2016, 01:16:27 AM
loved that one too (did that come free w/ the console?)

Same with Berserk.  I loved that game "Kill the Human.  Kill it!" but Atari one was lame.

Yeah, the 2600 couldn't do the voices and it was the voices that really made that game, in a way. Without them it just seems like kind of hollow experience.

zeebo

I've mentioned this on the book thread somewhere, but seems appropriate here as well.  Anyone who has nostalgia for the early days of video games (as well as interest in the future of them esp. virtual reality) might want to check out the book "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.  It's a fun read full of references to 80's games & pop culture, and has a pretty original and fun storyline.  I think it's being made into a movie at some point.  Btw if you saw the documentary "Atari: Game Over", the author's the eccentric guy driving the Back-to-the-Future car with E.T. as his sidekick, which gives you some idea for his nerdy enthusiasm.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 20, 2016, 10:01:11 PM
I've been playing the closed beta of black desert online and so far i think its great. If you look it up and think you'll like it i have two free 7 day keys I can give away when it goes live if you want to try it. Let me know if your interested in one.
I still have one key left it anyone wants it.

trostol

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 04, 2016, 08:08:46 PM

thanks again for the key

Roswells, Art

Quote from: trostol on March 04, 2016, 08:33:06 PM
thanks again for the key

YW ☺I'm surprised no one one else wants to try it. I've been waiting years for it to go live. Of course my pc breaks when it does.

onan

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 04, 2016, 08:43:46 PM
YW ☺I'm surprised no one one else wants to try it. I've been waiting years for it to go live. Of course my pc breaks when it does.

I noticed your generosity. I should have complimented you for that. I have 4 games on my computer that I have yet to complete. I don't like sitting at my computer anymore.

What can I say? Oh yeah, I remember, get off my lawn.

zeebo

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 09:30:16 PM
... I have 4 games on my computer that I have yet to complete. I don't like sitting at my computer anymore....

I have a confession which won't go over well with the hardcore PC gamers.  I can't stand playing most games w/ mouse & keyboard.  I've always hated it (except simple point-n-click games). 

So I basically only play games that my XBOX 360 controller works with.  This way I can pipe my pc graphics to my tv, and sit on the couch/bed and it feels like a console. 

You might ask, well why don't you just get a console proper then?  Because you can get pc games alot cheaper (if you wait awhile) and you can mod them too.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 09:30:16 PM
I noticed your generosity. I should have complimented you for that. I have 4 games on my computer that I have yet to complete. I don't like sitting at my computer anymore.

What can I say? Oh yeah, I remember, get off my lawn.

Thanks Onan.

Roswells, Art

The probem with mmo's is they never end until the game company shuts down. I'm not a big first person shooter fan but like them a little. I like the adventure game genre though. If you like them too gog.com has a good one for free if you don't mind pixilated graphics from the 90's. It's called Under a Steel Sky.

norland2424

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 04, 2016, 11:20:46 PM
The probem with mmo's is they never end until the game company shuts down. I'm not a big first person shooter fan but like them a little. I like the adventure game genre though. If you like them too gog.com has a good one for free if you don't mind pixilated graphics from the 90's. It's called Under a Steel Sky.

did ya mean this game?

http://www.gog.com/game/beneath_a_steel_sky

trostol

i love gog ...good old games..easy set up and uninstalling

next big game i am looking forward to is No Man's Sky

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on March 04, 2016, 11:33:02 PM
i love gog ...good old games..easy set up and uninstalling ...

... and DRM-free.  :)

I go there for games I can put on my old laptop, which is fine for older games (particularly 2-d).  I'm just now really getting into MOO1 .. which apparently is in development for a remake as well.  (It's like 20+ years old!) 

Also I want to play Planescape & Alpha Centauri, both highly-rated games I never played.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on March 05, 2016, 12:39:02 AM
... and DRM-free.  :)

I go there for games I can put on my old laptop, which is fine for older games (particularly 2-d).  I'm just now really getting into MOO1 .. which apparently is in development for a remake as well.  (It's like 20+ years old!) 

Also I want to play Planescape & Alpha Centauri, both highly-rated games I never played.

Alpha Centauri is the best 4x game i ever played

analog kid

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 04, 2016, 11:54:28 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

Beneath a Steel Sky is one of my favorite games of all time. One of the first I ever bought. The voice acting is part of what makes it great, but sometimes the game comes without it. It's something to watch out for. Gemini Rue and Technobabylon are a few other adventure games I've been meaning to check out. Also Stasis.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: analog kid on March 05, 2016, 04:27:42 AM
Beneath a Steel Sky is one of my favorite games of all time. One of the first I ever bought. The voice acting is part of what makes it great, but sometimes the game comes without it. It's something to watch out for. Gemini Rue and Technobabylon are a few other adventure games I've been meaning to check out. Also Stasis.

I finished Gemini Rue recently. It's good. I've found you really can't go wrong with a Wadjet Eye game if you've played one and liked it. I'll check out those other two you mentioned.

zeebo

Finally did the endgame for Fallout NV after 185 hrs. according to Steam.  Thats more than what I've clocked in Skyrim or Borderlands 2.  And I still have the DLC to do.  Also want to run through again and pick different alliances.  What a great game.  Right now I could go for a nice Iguana-on-a-stick w/ an ice-cold Nuka-Cola.

trostol

finished up a 3rd..4th..maybe 5th play through of GTA 5..moving on to Rise of the Tomb Raider

analog kid

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 06, 2016, 03:55:28 PM
I finished Gemini Rue recently. It's good. I've found you really can't go wrong with a Wadjet Eye game if you've played one and liked it. I'll check out those other two you mentioned.

They all look like good games.

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on March 05, 2016, 02:53:52 AM
Alpha Centauri is the best 4x game i ever played

I definitely want to check it out.  I can't decide If I like strategy games or not yet.  I seem to try them and then stall out in frustration at some point where all the management explodes. 

I got Civ 3 cheap, for my laptop, and all my games would start out pretty fun until some mid-point where all my cities were burning and their citizens hated me and my enemies would be slaughtering my warriors and I'd just say forget this and go blast things in Borderlands 2.

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on March 07, 2016, 08:18:45 PM
Finally did the endgame for Fallout NV after 185 hrs. according to Steam.  Thats more than what I've clocked in Skyrim or Borderlands 2.  And I still have the DLC to do.  Also want to run through again and pick different alliances.  What a great game.  Right now I could go for a nice Iguana-on-a-stick w/ an ice-cold Nuka-Cola.

so who did ya side with?

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on March 07, 2016, 11:45:32 PM
I definitely want to check it out.  I can't decide If I like strategy games or not yet.  I seem to try them and then stall out in frustration at some point where all the management explodes. 

I got Civ 3 cheap, for my laptop, and all my games would start out pretty fun until some mid-point where all my cities were burning and their citizens hated me and my enemies would be slaughtering my warriors and I'd just say forget this and go blast things in Borderlands 2.

lol well..squirrels arent meant to lead

Dr. MD MD

I'm not sure if I'll like these games but I installed a zx spectrum emu on my PSP. Anyone have any ideas about what games I should check out? Most likely you're from Great Britain as these were sold in NA by Timex but didn't sell very well at all.

zeebo

Quote from: norland2424 on March 07, 2016, 11:59:14 PM
so who did ya side with?

Don't wanna give any spoilers away, but for the endgame - let's just say I took an 'independent' path, with a little help from my 'robot friends'.  :D

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on March 07, 2016, 11:59:36 PM
lol well..squirrels arent meant to lead

Our attention spans don't take well to complex management tasks.  We prefer just scurrying around - prob why I like open-world rpg's lol.

cweb

FYI... Borderlands is gonna be on Xbox Games with Gold the second half of this month, starting 3/16.

Being a fan of the second game, I've never actually played the first. Now it'll be free. Hooray!

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 04, 2016, 08:08:46 PM

The last key has been claimed.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: analog kid on March 07, 2016, 09:03:25 PM
They all look like good games.

I'm currently in the midst of Primordia which is good albeit a little too easy. There is a little robot friend that follows you around and if you click on him he gives you a clue. I turned off clues but he still does it.

Dr. MD MD

This is kinda cool but I suspect that once the Oooh! factor wears off people will just resume playing NES games they way they always have  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcpC9HQqrAA