• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

3OctaveFart

VR gaming is going to be weird, for sure. But the weird will make it great.

trostol

Quote from: Meatie Pie on December 20, 2015, 06:27:15 PM
VR gaming is going to be weird, for sure. But the weird will make it great.

indeed weird..i will have to wait and see..definitely not going to rush right out for it lol

zeebo

Quote from: Coffeeman on December 20, 2015, 08:44:50 AM
Man, I envy you playing the first time. Are you playing the vanilla version or the release with all the DLC? Some of them like Dead Man's Hand were really really good.

So far I'm playing vanilla but I did mod with some cool effects like weather & terrain etc.  When the DLC went on sale on Steam awhile back I picked up two that seem popular (Lonesome Road & Old World Blues) but haven't gone there yet.  I prob. should just have grabbed them all.  It's funny right now I have this urge to just start over from scratch again now that I'm familiar with the world & controls etc.

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on December 20, 2015, 11:25:17 AM
... I was going through Borderlands 2 for the millionth time. It's amazing how many gameplay elements they "borrowed" from other games....

Ok someone help me here.  I really had fun at first playing that game, but playing solo seems near impossible at higher levels esp. boss fights.  I think it was designed for teams.  Anyone have hints for solo play-throughs?  (Note: I was trying to play the stealthy ninja guy which I think was a bad move.)

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on December 21, 2015, 04:16:36 AM
Ok someone help me here.  I really had fun at first playing that game, but playing solo seems near impossible at higher levels esp. boss fights.  I think it was designed for teams.  Anyone have hints for solo play-throughs?  (Note: I was trying to play the stealthy ninja guy which I think was a bad move.)

could never really get into Borderlands...so i am really no help lol

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on December 21, 2015, 04:18:56 AM
could never really get into Borderlands...so i am really no help lol

I wasn't into it at first but later I started getting the humor more, and it's great for rage-blasting your aggressions out. 

cweb

Quote from: onan on December 20, 2015, 11:34:47 AM
I am on my third play through with FA4. It is losing its luster. I still enjoy FA3, never really like NV. I played DiabloIII but it is the same thing over and over.

Diablo 3 is basically a button-masher with loot management. I like to play in doses, which is what I think Blizzard intended.

Quote from: zeebo on December 21, 2015, 04:16:36 AM
My first time playing solo, I had some real difficulty with BL2. Commando is really good for beginners because you can always throw your turret out to help clean things up. There are also some early perks which regenerate your health automatically, whereas some other classes don't have them. The assassin is really not built to take damage.

Early on, I played Borderlands pretty cheaply. Try to hit enemies from range, hide and take cover if needed, know when to hit hard. Another good idea is trying to thin out the herd before you jump into a firefight. It's way easier to fight one enemy at a time instead of all at once. Now I can solo most of the game on the True Vault Hunter difficulty, but past that I still have trouble. If you watch the really good players (Bahroo, Yoteslaya) they're ridiculously good at aiming, but a lot of that is because they play on PC. It's easier to use a mouse instead of a thumb stick, I feel.

Getting the Bee shield makes life significantly easier, too. But you'll be a good ways through the main story before you have a shot at getting it.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on December 21, 2015, 04:24:41 AM
I wasn't into it at first but later I started getting the humor more, and it's great for rage-blasting your aggressions out.

you might like the tales of the borderlands series..supposed to be really good at capturing all the humor

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on December 21, 2015, 04:12:33 AM
So far I'm playing vanilla but I did mod with some cool effects like weather & terrain etc.  When the DLC went on sale on Steam awhile back I picked up two that seem popular (Lonesome Road & Old World Blues) but haven't gone there yet.  I prob. should just have grabbed them all.  It's funny right now I have this urge to just start over from scratch again now that I'm familiar with the world & controls etc.

You should get all the dlc, there is so much lore randomly in notes or terminals that i enjoyed alot.

trostol

havent looked..has steam had a holiday sale?

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on December 21, 2015, 08:16:03 PM
havent looked..has steam had a holiday sale?

i dont steam bro lol so i dunno

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on December 21, 2015, 08:29:28 PM
i dont steam bro lol so i dunno

for the most part neither do i lol

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on December 21, 2015, 08:30:56 PM

i know xbox live sale goes live in a few hours.

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on December 22, 2015, 03:57:13 AM
i know xbox live sale goes live in a few hours.

yeah some ok things i saw..but nothing i need to get..plus i am running out of space lol

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on December 21, 2015, 02:33:41 PM
My first time playing solo...

Some great suggestions, thanks. 

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on December 22, 2015, 04:13:16 AM
yeah some ok things i saw..but nothing i need to get..plus i am running out of space lol

which xbox did you get? 500gb or 1tb? lol

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on December 21, 2015, 08:30:56 PM

I don't do consoles anymore, now that I can use my xbox controller on pc and pipe video to my htdtv.  What I love about steam & gog etc. is I can get pc games so cheap sometimes, and mod them etc.

Also what ugs me about modern consoles is what used to make them great imho (just plug-n-play) has been undermined by all the network stuff so now you have to wait for a connection, login, update main app, update games, buy your friggin live points or whatever, check hard drive space for downloads, etc .. might as well must be a pc.  Of course I miss exclusives but I already have too many games I'll prob never play.

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on December 22, 2015, 04:23:51 AM
which xbox did you get? 500gb or 1tb? lol

500...i got it when it was new to the market

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on December 22, 2015, 04:25:22 AM
I don't do consoles anymore, now that I can use my xbox controller on pc and pipe video to my htdtv.  What I love about steam & gog etc. is I can get pc games so cheap sometimes, and mod them etc.

Also what ugs me about modern consoles is what used to make them great imho (just plug-n-play) has been undermined by all the network stuff so now you have to wait for a connection, login, update main app, update games, buy your friggin live points or whatever, check hard drive space for downloads, etc .. might as well must be a pc.  Of course I miss exclusives but I already have too many games I'll prob never play.

points are gone..but its no different really then steam wallet lol

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on December 22, 2015, 04:26:48 AM
points are gone..but its no different really then steam wallet lol

I just miss the old days where you just plug in the damn game and your good-to-go.   ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on December 22, 2015, 04:33:48 AM
I just miss the old days where you just plug in the damn game and your good-to-go.   ;)

Well, then you SHOULD do consoles because that's the way they worked, until the last decade or so anyway.  ;)

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on December 22, 2015, 04:26:14 AM
500...i got it when it was new to the market

just get a portable hd and usb connect it, i think one of the last few updates made it possible for both consoles.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 22, 2015, 04:35:40 AM
Well, then you SHOULD do consoles because that's the way they worked, until the last decade or so anyway.  ;)

Right I loved my old PS2, played so many fun PS1&2 games on that, so simple.  Then I got an xbox 360 and even though the games were good I just got annoyed with all the corporate 'community' infrustructure  - but then again I'm an eccentric recluse, and I play games to avoid people, not connect with them.   :)

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on December 22, 2015, 04:40:54 AM
Right I loved my old PS2, played so many fun PS1&2 games on that, so simple.  Then I got an xbox 360 and even though the games were good I just got annoyed with all the corporate 'community' infrustructure  - but then again I'm an eccentric recluse, and I play games to avoid people, not connect with them.   :)

im sure that described alot of us on here, lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on December 22, 2015, 04:40:54 AM

Amen, bro! I feel like you're describing me rather than you though. Collect up some of the stored nuts, climb in the tree and pop in some GTA and then tell the world to FO!  :P

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 22, 2015, 04:47:04 AM
Amen, bro! I feel like you're describing me rather than you though. Collect up some of the stored nuts, climb in the tree and pop in some GTA and then tell the world to FO!  :P

Haha, yes you got it man.  I can't remember, if it was GTA 3 or Vice City ... but I had one of my fave vidgame moments when I finally got the tank.  Took me like an hour to do it but was so satisfying and then I just rampaged away lol.  Good times. 

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on December 22, 2015, 04:56:20 AM
Haha, yes you got it man.  I can't remember, if it was GTA 3 or Vice City ... but I had one of my fave vidgame moments when I finally got the tank.  Took me like an hour to do it but was so satisfying and then I just rampaged away lol.  Good times.

Thats how i felt getting the golden guns in Goldeneye on n64 lol

Coffeeman

Quote from: zeebo on December 22, 2015, 04:33:48 AM

I don't what the general feeling is towards ROMs here is, but I do it for classic consoles and that exact feeling comes back. Just load up a game and play. I feel kind of weirded out having my consoles on the Internet as it is.

cweb

Quote from: trostol on December 21, 2015, 03:35:26 PM
you might like the tales of the borderlands series..supposed to be really good at capturing all the humor
Tales of the Borderlands was pretty enjoyable. It's basically an interactive movie. Playing through an ep or so makes you want to hop back into Borderlands 2 because your trigger finger gets itchy... But Tales is more of a thinking man's Borderlands. Telltale Games did a nice job with it.

Quote from: Coffeeman on December 22, 2015, 07:25:21 AM
I don't what the general feeling is towards ROMs here is, but I do it for classic consoles and that exact feeling comes back. Just load up a game and play. I feel kind of weirded out having my consoles on the Internet as it is.
A while back, MV (praise his name!) posted a link to the Nexus Player- an underutilized device that you could flash full Android to. With a USB hub and a controller, it can become a full-blown emulation station.
Thread: http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,7261.0.html

I jumped on the wagon and I gotta say- it does a great job with the 16-bit emulators and older. Donkey Kong Country flies on that baby, and it looks pretty damn good on a 1080p display.

The device has gone the way of the dodo, in part because some idiot had the dumb idea to make it more of a media device instead of putting full Android in it. You can get 'em really cheap now.

trostol

Quote from: Coffeeman on December 22, 2015, 07:25:21 AM

roms are fantastic..thinking of going back and getting MAME the last few days