• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 12:44:43 PM
When I ask people who are into video games which system they’re currently having the most fun playing the answer these days is invariably the Nintendo Switch. I finally had the opportunity to try it out last night and was somewhat underwhelmed. I should note that I did not have the opportunity to play it as a handheld so keep that in mind. It was connected to a TV with the individual controllers detached. My main problem is just with how incredibly tiny the controllers are. They’re clearly made for Japanese hands. Not only did I keep pressing buttons I didn’t mean to (that would sometimes take you out of the game to the menu screen) but my host (who has been playing on the system for awhile now) did as well. While I’m sure much of this would be remedied as a handheld it really limits it as a shared gaming experience, IMHO.
Your theory might have merit but more likely, I think, the game controllers was designed for children, who have smaller hands.They probably assumed, as I did, that video games etc are played by kids and so designed controllers that way.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
Your theory might have merit but more likely, I think, the game controllers was designed for children, who have smaller hands.They probably assumed, as I did, that video games etc are played by kids and so designed controllers that way.

That may have been true in the days of the NES but it’s clearly not the case now. The average gamer is now 33 years old and 65 % of the video game market are adults. Why would Nintendo want to limit their market like that?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-videogames/u-s-adults-are-spending-big-on-video-games-playing-mostly-on-smartphones-idUSKCN1SF1DC

K_Dubb

They are trying to tell you to get the kids' toy out of your big grubby paws and let them play.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 01:43:02 PM
They are trying to tell you to get the kids' toy out of your big grubby paws and let them play.

They were all asleep and it was just us adults. Should we have woken them?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 01:13:24 PM

So, you don’t play any video games? Are you currently on life support? Blink once for yes and twice for no.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
So, you don’t play any video games? Are you currently on life support? Blink once for yes and twice for no.
Ha. Every so often I play but not frequently. And stuff like Space Invaders etc (got a superchip and old standup) or for a lark break out the Vectrex. Other than, that BG is the only gaming I do.  Wait... I do have a Scrabble knockoff and a Risk knockoff app on my phone. That I will occasionally play if waiting in line or something. So I guess I am a gamer also!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 04:16:13 PM
Ha. Every so often I play but not frequently. And stuff like Space Invaders etc (got a superchip and old standup) or for a lark break out the Vectrex. Other than, that BG is the only gaming I do.  Wait... I do have a Scrabble knockoff and a Risk knockoff app on my phone. That I will occasionally play if waiting in line or something. So I guess I am a gamer also!

You have my respect for the Vectrex alone. Vector graphic based video games are some of my favorite.  8)

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 04:28:55 PM
*judging*
Good. We need more judging, shaming, and bullying, short of vicious or violent, in this country. We've gotten weak.

K_Dubb, I'm not a baker but I enjoyed your podcast due to the Scandahoovian musings and theories. The organ was impressive and awesome, as are your theories related to ethnicity, pagan and religious customs, and various breads. You need to get "Bill From Madison" on as a guest and get the real story of the Finns.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 04:31:29 PM
You have my respect for the Vectrex alone. Vector graphic based video games are some of my favorite.  8)
Tempest is my all time favorite. But haven't pulled the trigger there, yet.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 04:38:28 PM
Tempest is my all time favorite. But haven't pulled the trigger there, yet.

If you can’t find an actual cabinet at a reasonable enough price maybe look into either the 1up Deluxe Atari cabinet (it comes with spinners and a trackball) or the ATGames cabniet. I lean toward the 1up for it’s authenticy and vertical orientation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4u8yD8USyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9Tmy4PRyw

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 04:48:17 PM
If you can’t find an actual cabinet at a reasonable enough price maybe look into either the 1up Deluxe Atari cabinet (it comes with spinners and a trackball) or the ATGames cabniet. I lean toward the 1up for it’s authenticy and vertical orientation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4u8yD8USyM

Nice. Missile Command and Moon Patrol would be fun also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0HOZH2W8fU

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 05:02:21 PM
Nice. Missile Command and Moon Patrol would be fun also.

Classics! The only bummer with these multicabinet systems is that, as nice as the emulation is, it still doesn’t really capture the classic glow of actual vector graphics on a CRT...which is why the Vectrex is so cool.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 04:37:39 PM
Good. We need more judging, shaming, and bullying, short of vicious or violent, in this country. We've gotten weak.

K_Dubb, I'm not a baker but I enjoyed your podcast due to the Scandahoovian musings and theories. The organ was impressive and awesome, as are your theories related to ethnicity, pagan and religious customs, and various breads. You need to get "Bill From Madison" on as a guest and get the real story of the Finns.

Thank you!  I think this could serve as the first half of my talk on the Lutheran-basement tour we talked about, and Madison would be a logical stop.  Can you imagine all those sweet Midwestern ladies with visions of a future son-in-law in their eyes, stuffing me with lefse and pouring overboiled coffee down my throat?

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 04:37:39 PM

K_Dubb, I'm not a baker but I enjoyed your podcast due to the Scandahoovian musings and theories

I was out of the loop for most of December.  The K_Dubb 'cast happened finally!?!?! 
Where does it live?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 05, 2020, 05:10:24 PM
I was out of the loop for most of December.  The K_Dubb 'cast happened finally!?!?! 
Where does it live?

I have my own thread under "Radio and Podcasts" -- I am so proud!

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 05:07:18 PM
Thank you!  I think this could serve as the first half of my talk on the Lutheran-basement tour we talked about, and Madison would be a logical stop.  Can you imagine all those sweet Midwestern ladies with visions of a future son-in-law in their eyes, stuffing me with lefse and pouring overboiled coffee down my throat?
Indeed I could. And once the touring days are over I imagine some place like Decorah or Stoughton becoming a sort of Branson or where the retired Lutheran-basement circuit acts could hold shows. And a Tivoli like amusement park with Nordic-themed rides and events. Whittlers making trolls, old ladies knitting stuff for sale, and the like. Hidden area where dad can take a break and get some akevett and a beer served by bundad wearing gals.

More podcasts and organ.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 05:13:27 PM
Careful about that pride stuff.  >:(

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 05:18:08 PM
Careful about that pride stuff.  >:(

Oh you are so right!  Now I am doomed begin a furious feud with my cohost -- the organ -- that ends in a dramatic breakup, punctured bellows and smashed knees, and dueling podcasts where the organ emerges triumphant while I mutter away in obscurity.

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 05:13:27 PM

Excellent.   I am going to give it a listen after dinner.

From perusing the aforementioned thread, it seems to be geared towards Nordic breads?
That topic might be a tad focused for the masses.  Is it safe to assume that you occasionally rant at the listeners and call them White Trash Pieces of Shit?   That seems to work for at least one other 'caster................

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 05:32:28 PM

Maybe if you whine at them real nice the kids will let you play, fumblethumbs.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 05, 2020, 05:38:17 PM
Excellent.   I am going to give it a listen after dinner.

From perusing the aforementioned thread, it seems to be geared towards Nordic breads?
That topic might be a tad focused for the masses.  Is it safe to assume that you occasionally rant at the listeners and call them White Trash Pieces of Shit?   That seems to work for at least one other 'caster................

I have some very strong words to say about the English and their language appropriation, let me tell you!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 05:45:50 PM
Maybe if you whine at them real nice the kids will let you play, fumblethumbs.

I already told you, Aspergers, that they were sleeping. What don’t you get about that?! ::)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 05:47:37 PM
I already told you, Aspergers, that they were sleeping. What don’t you get about that?! ::)

Oh I got it, ham-hands.  Did you borrow their tricycles, too, for a midnight spin around the cul-de-sac with your knees up around your ears and a big stupid grin on your face?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 05:56:51 PM
Oh I got it, ham-hands.  Did you borrow their tricycles, too, for a midnight spin around the cul-de-sac with your knees up around your ears and a big stupid grin on your face?

Please stop involving me in your sexual fantasies.  ::) ::)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 05:58:47 PM
Please stop involving me in your sexual fantasies.  ::) ::)

That's too bad.  It would have been kind of cute.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 05, 2020, 05:06:06 PM
Classics! The only bummer with these multicabinet systems is that, as nice as the emulation is, it still doesn’t really capture the classic glow of actual vector graphics on a CRT...which is why the Vectrex is so cool.
I don't have the overlays anymore and someone, decades ago, stepped on one controller and so joystick a bit bent. Haven't really tried to fix it or find new overlays. The b&w vector graphics are good enough for me. There are sites where one can print out the overlays or search on ebay etc.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 05, 2020, 06:36:39 PM
I don't have the overlays anymore and someone, decades ago, stepped on one controller and so joystick a bit bent. Haven't really tried to fix it or find new overlays. The b&w vector graphics are good enough for me. There are sites where one can print out the overlays or search on ebay etc.

Yeah, just get some repros of your favs.