• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 14, 2017, 12:03:02 AM
I'm hearing over the top reviews of the new Zelda game. Will you be buying a Switch?

I'm sort of an unrepentant retro gamer.  I'm allergic to buying anything new.   ;)   But I heard that game by itself is reinvigorating Nintendo stock. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 14, 2017, 12:13:00 AM
I'm sort of an unrepentant retro gamer.  I'm allergic to buying anything new.   ;)   But I heard that game by itself is reinvigorating Nintendo stock.

Lots of 10/10s but it's new and it's really the only game for the system right now. I've never been a superfan of the series but it looks fun, if you're into a world exploring game. I'm with you though. I'm more interested in getting a Raspberry Pi 3 and installing RetroPie on it.  8)

https://retropie.org.uk/

trostol

I'm hearing over the top reviews of the new Zelda game. Will you be buying a Switch?

wait til like..summer..there isnt enough out for it right now to drop 300+ on it..i'd get it, if i was, before the holiday rush though

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 14, 2017, 12:35:52 AM

wait til like..summer..there isnt enough out for it right now to drop 300+ on it..i'd get it, if i was, before the holiday rush though

I'm still not sure I'll be hopping on that bus or not. I'm leaning toward not though. Like I said, I'm really more interested in getting a Raspberry Pi 3 for way less money, anyway.  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 14, 2017, 12:16:40 AM
...I'm more interested in getting a Raspberry Pi 3 and installing RetroPie on it.  8)

If you're lazy, there are pre-config'd ones on ebay that come with controllers etc.  Just add games.   ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 14, 2017, 12:47:44 AM
If you're lazy, there are pre-config'd ones on ebay that come with controllers etc.  Just add games.   ;)

Thanks, I'll look into that. What are they going for?

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 14, 2017, 12:56:28 AM
Thanks, I'll look into that. What are they going for?

I saw 'em for like 99 bucks.  I'm tempted to pick one up myself, then just plug into my hdtv.

Taaroa

No, and certainly not in current form. Seems to be having a lot of launch issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Personally I think Nintendo have been going downhill since the N64, and the fact that they are constantly releasing the same rehashed games shows that. They really fucked up by not buying Rare when they were at the peak of their game.

cweb

Another option for Retropie-style gaming:
http://bellgab.com/technology/nexus-player-snes-emulator-full-blown-pc-android-device/

I have a Gravis-style USB gamepad hooked up to it. Plays DKC and Mario RPG like it's nothin'.

In other news, the Switch joycons look super duper cramped. This does not appeal to someone like me, with large hands.

cosmic hobo

Anyone played with the Switch yet? Is it any good?

God damn you, Moon Man!!!

cweb

So, um. Starcraft remaster. That's good news, yais?

The units are now shinier. Oooh, shiny.

trostol

Quote from: cweb on March 29, 2017, 06:58:37 PM
So, um. Starcraft remaster. That's good news, yais?

The units are now shinier. Oooh, shiny.

no...companies need to stop doing remasters

Taaroa

Quote from: trostol on March 29, 2017, 07:24:50 PM
no...companies need to stop doing remasters
I would at least like an Ace Combat remastered collection. Most of those games would actually benefit from the improved graphics and physics, plus some of them had no Western release.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on March 29, 2017, 07:30:52 PM
I would at least like an Ace Combat remastered collection. Most of those games would actually benefit from the improved graphics and physics, plus some of them had no Western release.

Great series! Did it endure beyond the PS1?

I'm always down with more flight combat games.  :)

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 29, 2017, 07:37:35 PM

Yep, there have been probably 5 main series games + a number of handheld games since the ps1. There should be a new one out in the next 12 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpgwu-xpG5w

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on March 29, 2017, 08:08:48 PM
Yep, there have been probably 5 main series games + a number of handheld games since the ps1. There should be a new one out in the next 12 months:

Cool! When you say handheld I assume you mean the games released for the PSP, right?

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 29, 2017, 08:20:12 PM
Cool! When you say handheld I assume you mean the games released for the PSP, right?

I think there are some on Gameboy Advance, Iphone, and DS too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on March 29, 2017, 08:29:01 PM
I think there are some on Gameboy Advance, Iphone, and DS too.

I'll have to look for the GBA one. I'm not crazy about playing games like this on mobile devices though. Need sticks.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 29, 2017, 08:34:11 PM
I'll have to look for the GBA one. I'm not crazy about playing games like this on mobile devices though. Need sticks.
I can't imagine that'd be any good. Assault Horizon is on PC, but that wasn't that great a game.
List of games with what platform they're on is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat#Games

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 29, 2017, 07:37:35 PM

Ace Combat had atleast 3 titles for PS2;

Ace Combat 4, Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5, The Unsung War
Ace Combat 0, The Belkan War

They were released in that order. I didn't play The Belkan War, I bet it was awesome though because Ace Combat 4 was very fun and was A+. Up a notch from PS1. Ace Combat 5 was even better than 4. and there was a flightstick built for that one that connected to PS2 via USB. I regretted not getting the flightstick package because that game in particular ended up being my favorite Ace Combat of the ones that I have played. It was more integrated than previous games and I think had even more licensed aircraft than ever before. I played a demo of another Ace Combat game on somebody's 360 about 10 years ago and it was amazing even if it was just a demo.

There were also the 2 games for PSP;

Ace Combat X
Ace Combat | Joint Assault

Both of these games are great, and I would assume any serious criticism of them would be towards control schemes. Both were excellent games, but maintaining control was extremely difficult. High stress. With the limited and asymmetrical set of controls of the PSP, default game controls are kind of redundant / destined for failure. So in both games the controls were 100% customizable, as if you were calibrating a controller for an emulator. I think I remapped every single button in both games too. I haven't played either in a while, but in order to have L1 and R1 be YAW left and right, I had to completely shakeup the entire control scheme and I think I had to completely dispose of the most superficial command, which was possibly the camera toggle. It's very political and stressful. But once you get past that, these 2 games are very impressive on a small screen.

I just picked up a used PSPGo not too long ago. I am really liking it and am using it as my go-to PSP. There is no UMD drive so I just use it to play eboots of just my top favs. I think I am up to 12 or 13 PSPs now but I still can't find an acceptable metallic green Metal Gear one or an affordable lilac purple Hannah Montana one. There was also a bronze one that is near impossible to locate. I have some strange colored ones that were from the Japan market but the bronze one is extremely evasive.

I think I have accumulated about 5 pounds of expired PSP batteries since 2007. That is from them sitting too long. I even had 4 official Sony XLs that I paid retail costs for each one and they all swelled from sitting too long. I try and keep them all in rotation now and don't let them sit too long without a charge but it gets confusing. Plus the 1000 and 2000/3000 batteries are rated different from one another, and sometimes I'm using a beater that doesn't take a particular battery. The great responsibility of PSP battery management. I wonder if Sony still sell the refurbished XL batteries. Mine lasted about 8-12 consecutive hours with UMD running and casual internetting going, which is a little more than twice a long as the standard battery that came with the units would last. These were almost twice as thick and required a supplied oversized replacement battery cover that could accommodate the size.

I used to rest assured knowing that if the power went out again, I would be good for about 3 consecutive days of pure blackout. Plus I do like taking long train trips and although they have AC outlets on board I like to live the PSP life as a sovereign.

I don't trust third party batteries. I used a fake battery once and that PSP ended up in my dead pile. It was pristine shape with almost no usage, and was my only black 3000, I blame shitty fake Chinese battery. ; D

The stress of battery expiration. You must not neglect the 3.6v 1200mAh. Nothing more annoying than having to play a PSP while it is wired to a wall outlet. LOL. A couple of my PSPs don't even have batteries anymore because they sat too long and ballooned like crazy.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on April 06, 2017, 01:21:47 AM
What's up with the hot pad?

Ian was diagnosed with some rare disease where his nerve endings extending into his stomach became meshed into some of the muscle tissue. It's very painful, apparently. He's really NOT being a snowflake, though his politics are definitely a little reactionary sometimes.  ;)