• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 03, 2018, 11:36:04 AM
It always sounded like the sort of useless busy-work that you'd give to someone not very bright to keep them out of the way. Like handing a retarded child a colouring book.

Do you mean a coloring book?  WTF is a "colouring" book?  Wink.

SpookyTim

Actually, I take that back. Their iPods are ONLY filled with Art-approved bumper music. It's that important to them.

Hi Paul.

Quote from: Pizzapunch on June 03, 2018, 11:37:34 AM
People on Heather's fb page are already complaining about the 300mb  archive show files. She's replying with she refuses to put anything else out because it would compromise audio quality....

The subscribers will just have to pony up for some additional storage to store her shows on:

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on June 03, 2018, 11:45:49 AM

In my defence, it's a grey area.

69CheckMate

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 03, 2018, 11:58:51 AM
i guess you got the fifty shades crayola set.

Sean92008

Quote from: Pizzapunch on June 03, 2018, 11:37:34 AM
People on Heather's fb page are already complaining about the 300mb  archive show files. She's replying with she refuses to put anything else out because it would compromise audio quality....
My take on it is that, other than being a complete fucking asshole, she's completely fucking clueless.

Is she streaming at 192?

If not, her stupid fucking idiot loyalists better raise their fucking voices.

Have a wonderful, beautiful day! 😉

Furthermore...  I knew a lot of mediocre musicians who insisted on really expensive gear.  Most of them are remedial humans too, and those who became parents were not very good at that either...

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 03, 2018, 11:58:51 AM

I'm sorry they're being mean to you, Shreddy.  Here, have a tea-scented chocolate:

MaxPower

Quote from: starramus on June 03, 2018, 09:28:46 AM
Yeah and then did the show Yellow Rain where he urinated on General Instrument descramblers! Ya know he died falling off of his roof while working on antenna. Those were the hey days of C band! Damn the big boys starting with HBO determinedly shut all of that down. It could have been a great free market. Little guys like the Caribbean Super Station starting up, but monopoly closed it all down.
I remember hearing that Shaun had died. He was quite a character (in a good way). It was fun tuning in the his Boresight shows (I think he did them from New Jersey). Some were wondering whether it was really an accident that killed him.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 03, 2018, 12:07:13 PM
I'm sorry they're being mean to you, Shreddy.  Here, have a tea-scented chocolate:

This place is becoming a theatre of the absurd.

Doomed

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 03, 2018, 05:00:03 AM

I think not.  Those brought up during the Ward and June generation are in their late sixties.  Gray haired, yes, but I think that it is safe to say that they aren't all that interested in second generation podcasters that have come along after Art.  I know a lot of 'older' people and while only a few know of Art and George Noorey, I have yet to come across any (other than myself and several other BellGabbers) who have ever heard of Heather Wade.  I'd venture to say that Heather's core audience age hovers around late thirties to early forties.  I have nothing to back this theory up with of course, but I would like to give one example that deals with a certain YouTube star named Adam the Woo.  He goes around filming himself visiting places like Disneyland and film locations for movies like Back In Time.  Over the years he has accumulated thousands of subscribers and every once in awhile he plans a 'meet and greet' event.  Interesting to note, that when he holds the event, a good ninty percent of the attendies are around his age, 'fortyish.'
Interesting. I would like to point out, many of the people who listened to Art Bell, discovered him a good 20 years ago, placing them, at that time, within the demographic you speak of. Their '40s. As things progressed, they followed along, into the Noory years, the ham radio fiasco, XM, and stayed abreast of Bells every move, right up to his death. Heather is but a small part, a footnote really, of the whole saga. Granted, they are a small group, but none the less, there they are. Frankly, I don't think they have the numbers to make HWs program a lasting enity. (I shouldn't attempt to jot this stuff down until I have my morning caffine...massive brain cramp.)  :-[

WOTR

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 03, 2018, 12:15:08 PM
You and I must have been posting on different boards for the last couple of years.  :o

WOTR

Quote from: SpookyTim on June 03, 2018, 11:45:41 AM
Literally NOBODY puts out files that huge. It's completely unnecessary. And most of her listeners are probably using iPod Nanos from 2007 they bought at the flea market, so they can only have 2 or 3 episodes at a time if they still want to to have their Nickelback and Daughtry songs on there.

Hi Paul.
I remember Art demanding that his show stream in some unusual rate or format so that the audio quality would be suitable for a live broadcast of an opera star.  She is just cementing the #Legacy.

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on June 03, 2018, 11:45:49 AM
Color and colour are different spellings of the same word. Color is the preferred spelling in American English, and colour is preferred in all other main varieties of English

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 03, 2018, 12:15:08 PM

That may be; nevertheless, I hope you realize your contributions are at the very center of this place's appeal, and it's an honor to have you here.

Quote from: WOTR on June 03, 2018, 12:27:57 PM
I remember Art demanding that his show stream in some unusual rate or format so that the audio quality would be suitable for a live broadcast of an opera star.  She is just cementing the #Legacy.
G2 Realplayer  :(

ItsOver

zeebo

Quote from: spookcat on June 03, 2018, 03:12:02 AM
It's quite depressing to watch her burn so many bridges and make such mindless decisions when years ago on BG she said that being a radio personality would be her dream job. I can't imagine how depressed you lot are who regularly communicated with (Redacted).

Back then she had a playful, spontaneous, irreverent spirit about her.  That was lost (or abandoned) when she "went pro" and started trying way too hard to be a big success, as was ordained by her mentor.  It's weird now to hear her be so sentimental and ingratiating with her listeners - the old gabcast crew would have laughed her off the show for that b.s. lol.

Father Jack

There is something of the kamikaze about Heather. She gets a situation better than she deserves, then proceeds to defecate all over it. I don't know what that says about her mental state, but it can't be good. It seems almost masochistic.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: zeebo on June 03, 2018, 12:59:09 PM
Back then she had a playful, spontaneous, irreverent spirit about her.  That was lost (or abandoned) when she "went pro" and started trying way too hard to be a big success, as was ordained by her mentor.  It's weird now to hear her be so sentimental and ingratiating with her listeners - the old gabcast crew would have laughed her off the show for that b.s. lol.

That's a very apt description. She sounds like a totally different person these days. It's uncomfortable to hear her now, almost chilling.

Kolchak

It's time for your afternoon Facebook Minute. I'm your host, Mika Brzezinski.

In our first story, Tim Gets a little aggressive.

And Misian, alienated by the LNM discord server robots, is done.

Next up, from the Nazi bunker, we have an update on yesterday's story on Tony and Charles. Charles has shifted into his final form and Tony has been...expelled.

Now some miscellaneous MITD2 updates - starting with the fact that the podcast was added to the archives over 12 hours late and that some people still haven't received their logins.

And we end on an interesting tidbit - the show's paid podcast edition has full ads playing on it.

This has been your Facebook Minute. I'm your host, David Brinkley. Until next time, remember: I do this for YOU.

WOTR

Quote from: Kolchak on June 03, 2018, 01:38:57 PM
It's time for your afternoon Facebook Minute. I'm your host, Mika Brzezinski.

This has been your Facebook Minute. I'm your host, David Brinkley. Until next time, remember: I do this for YOU.
As somebody who does not look at facebook or twitter, I appreciate the updates.  Thanks, Mr. Brinkley.  ;)

El Chorro

Haha. Tim means "asterisk." It's so hard to be cool.

Say what you will about Coast, their site is well-maintained. You might say it has to do with available resources, but it's really just knowing what to do, and not learning on the fly as Heather's people are.

That said, I invite Keith to figure out how to let people subscribe to MITD without setting up a PayPal account. While it's true that Heather's site is also PayPal-based, there's an option (as with most sites I've seen) to enter your card info without an actual PayPal account. (Coast doesn't require it either.) In addition to being more flexible, it also looks more professional the less dependent and enabling you appear to be regarding PayPal.

The  LNM stream is 128k which seems exhorbitant for a talk show. Is bandwidth that cheap? It actually sounds worse than the DMDN feed which is 64k. Garbage in-Garbage out I guess

Kolchak

Quote from: WOTR on June 03, 2018, 01:46:01 PM
As somebody who does not look at facebook or twitter, I appreciate the updates.  Thanks, Mr. Brinkley.  ;)

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on June 03, 2018, 01:50:15 PM
The  LNM stream is 128k which seems exhorbitant for a talk show. Is bandwidth that cheap? It actually sounds worse than the DMDN feed which is 64k. Garbage in-Garbage out I guess

That's probably because everyone on that network uses inferior microphones & mixer boards..... It's a possibility.