• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2018, 11:27:30 PM
I’ve ordered the cbd oil gelcaps off the Internet but they didn’t seem to help.

What did Shatner do for his tinnitus? He suffered horribly from it, apparently but i remember him saying he tried something and it's much better now. I can't remember what though.

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on May 03, 2018, 07:50:25 PM
Just today I skimmed some of the Art Quits DM thread and jeez you're right, what a bunch of chumps!  There were some skeptics, and I give them belated credit, but I was firmly in the chump camp.  Then, MITD came around and I went full chump again!  But if not for those experiences, I might not be the cynical curmudgeon I am today, so I got that out of it.
I always said that Art did not owe me anything.  I don't really care if there was a mouse or a stalker.  It was all fun and he was free to quit using any excuse he wanted.  The last one was a little difficult because it sure seemed like he planned on quitting and handing over the show.

Regardless, I never felt like a chump.  I felt like somebody glad to have one more chance to hear a legend (albeit, an ageing legend possibly a little past he prime.)  But I also got to enjoy the live chat threads this time around.  Something that I was not a part of in his prime.

All in all, it was still worth the price of admission.  :)

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2018, 11:19:38 PM
I have. Several. It’s close to be acceptable but there is still a buzz that I do not care for. I know people that can smoke all day and function. I can’t. It just doesn’t set well with me. I enjoyed getting high occasionally when I was in my 20’s and actually used it instead of alcohol for several years but it just hasn’t set well with me lately. And I am talking several attempts every time I have gone to Colorado or now Nevada skiing. And a few other times. Tried sativa and indica and 20-25 different hybrids. Tried the selector at leafly. Tried talking to shamans. Shit I even talked to aldous once.

I hope there is a strain I try some day that clicks, but since it is not legal in Texas it is not like I am doing an active search. But this is much more pleasant to talk about than Heather. And it still helps the page count.
Years ago I lived in a place where legal but never bought into the 'strain' stuff. But they were into it but mainly (at that time) for strongest or for shop owners etc for clientel not to 'freak out', so like with alcohol: someone might want light beer but someone else needs a double scotch. Didnt partake much because working alot but on a whim planted some seeds by my tomatoes. Had to leave for 2 months. Came back. HS weed plants aplenty. Crazy. No watering (though there there was almost daily showers.) But I had tomato vines and weed covering my porch. Both bearing 'fruit'. Crazy. I say legalize because easy to grow. It won't like hippies say solve ALL problems but the industrial use, ease of growth, and market for hemp and THC. Why not? Sure it is, like everything, abuseable and some people will drop-out, hence why the commie-left supports it, but maybe it will help farmers, ill people, and keep the left unmotivated to vote if legal, or motivated to work since its for the glorious weed?

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2018, 11:25:17 PM
The only two out of town strangers (maybe Corbett) were Weebers and Brinkley and both of them may very well have visited Art while she was there. She claimed to be close friends with both of them. She certainly knew Karen Jackson.

But who knows. She may just have been shitfaced drunk. Stranger things have happened to grieving people. I missed the funeral of my best friend were I was supposed to be a poll bearer because I had been blackout drunk from the day I found out he died until probably a week after he was buried.

Wow, that's tough.  Only time I really got that wasted was when I drank a bottle of vodka at a houseboat sleepover when I was like 13 or 14.  Passed out and had a hell of a hangover.  I had to get up and play golf the next day too.  I remember the night fairly well because Debbie Harry was guest hosting SNL.

The owners of the boat had cases of alcohol on it so who is going to miss a bottle? lol.  I haven't drunk vodka since.

SpookyTim

Quote from: Faustina on May 03, 2018, 11:27:28 PM
Questionable in what way?

No, no, nothing bad... I am just interested in the experiences that shape people. I think I just always saw him as more cool and calculating than impulsive in the pre-Premiere Wars days. Quitting a good job in Connecticut just because of snow? Driving to Miami with no job prospects and landing on your feet? It just makes me wish I had worked in radio in that era.

Dyna-X

Quote from: SpookyTim on May 03, 2018, 11:22:40 PM
I'm listening to The Art of Talk, and realizing how much of his life might actually be... questionable.
I've thought most of his tales were mostly true, just embellished in the way some old guys tell fish stories or war stories. That's half the charm right there. It would be interesting to compare what he said in the 98' deposition to the book to see his crafting and molding technique.

chefist

THC makes me nauseous... can't do it.

Sean92008

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 03, 2018, 08:43:09 PM
Been seeing alot of references to Mike Siegel lately.   Haven't listened to him since those dark times at Coast to Coast.

The man himself is currently live ->  http://www.gcnlive.com/JW1D/index.php/onair

It would seem like he's is taking a Bruce Williams tact now.  Except without the entertainment...............

I think watching Sherwin-Williams dry is on par for entertainment.

====================================================

Reading spots for discount dentistry.....   Even the commercials are boring

I loved Bruce Williams. I still listen to his last show annually, at least.  In the early 90s, driving around Iowa, he was the only sane voice that wasn't Rush or Art. I think he was a Saturday afternoon show at the time.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 03, 2018, 11:37:58 PM
I've thought most of his tales were mostly true, just embellished in the way some old guys tell fish stories or war stories. That's half the charm right there. It would be interesting to compare what he said in the 98' deposition to the book to see his crafting and molding technique.

I believe he left his first wife and 2 kids out of both of them.

Faustina

Quote from: SpookyTim on May 03, 2018, 11:37:52 PM
No, no, nothing bad... I am just interested in the experiences that shape people. I think I just always saw him as more cool and calculating than impulsive in the pre-Premiere Wars days. Quitting a good job in Connecticut just because of snow? Driving to Miami with no job prospects and landing on your feet? It just makes me wish I had worked in radio in that era.

I think he was more of a risk-taker when he was young.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 03, 2018, 11:12:37 PM
Thanks, it's a little meerschaum ram's-head.
Estate pipe (judging by the yellow.)  Or do you really favour that one?

I have been trying to get my Peterson Meerschaum to colour nicely with little success (I just don't smoke enough...)

I just wish Art had told his Ouija board story.  I wonder if he told Heather?

GravitySucks

If you read that deposition, it seems the only thing he ever did was quit things. Usually because he got bored with them. Including wives.

Faustina

Quote from: albrecht on May 03, 2018, 11:35:41 PM
Years ago I lived in a place where legal but never bought into the 'strain' stuff. But they were into it but mainly (at that time) for strongest or for shop owners etc for clientel not to 'freak out', so like with alcohol: someone might want light beer but someone else needs a double scotch. Didnt partake much because working alot but on a whim planted some seeds by my tomatoes. Had to leave for 2 months. Came back. HS weed plants aplenty. Crazy. No watering (though there there was almost daily showers.) But I had tomato vines and weed covering my porch. Both bearing 'fruit'. Crazy. I say legalize because easy to grow. It won't like hippies say solve ALL problems but the industrial use, ease of growth, and market for hemp and THC. Why not? Sure it is, like everything, abuseable and some people will drop-out, hence why the commie-left supports it, but maybe it will help farmers, ill people, and keep the left unmotivated to vote if legal, or motivated to work since its for the glorious weed?

Coast is having a guest on right now discussing the benefits of CBD oil. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 03, 2018, 11:41:11 PM
I just wish Art had told his Ouija board story.  I wonder if he told Heather?

Just wait. He will tell Whitley one if these nights. Through his implant.

Sean92008

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on May 03, 2018, 09:00:03 PM
After last night's performance, I'm guessing the reason Heather didn't go to the funeral is she didn't want to risk being exposed.

If she was herself, blasé and nonchalant about his death and mostly scheming to implement her plan to dump Keith, it would be a bad look.  If she tried her sobbing performance, it would be about as convincing as it was last night - except even worse in person.  What's a girl to do.

Valid possibility.  Her fake crying is a lot harder to pull off in person.  If she's as psycho as we think, she may not be able to truly cry in mourning... 

GravitySucks

Quote from: Faustina on May 03, 2018, 11:41:43 PM
Coast is having a guest on right now discussing the benefits of CBD oil.

Since they claim CBD oil cures just about everything, when you take it, how does it know which order to fix things?

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on May 03, 2018, 11:41:10 PM
Estate pipe (judging by the yellow.)  Or do you really favour that one?

I have been trying to get my Peterson Meerschaum to colour nicely with little success (I just don't smoke enough...)

Ha it came with a colored wax on it -- cheating, I know.  But there was no way I was going to do the glove thing.

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2018, 11:42:32 PM
Just wait. He will tell Whitley one if these nights. Through his implant.

Better yet.  Whitley can do a Ouija board experiment and cajole Anne into getting Art to tell him the story.

Dyna-X

The Connecticut job was in the time when a high school dropout could get a decent factory job in a matter of days and have a mortgage on a house in a matter of weeks. And if you had a good voice, it was only a matter of time before you could land a DJ'ing gig.

As for the snow, that's one thing I have in common with Art. I quit a job before starting over an icy commute once. Just had a bad feel about it.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2018, 11:25:17 PM
The only two out of town strangers (maybe Corbett) were Weebers and Brinkley and both of them may very well have visited Art while she was there. She claimed to be close friends with both of them. She certainly knew Karen Jackson.

But who knows. She may just have been shitfaced drunk. Stranger things have happened to grieving people. I missed the funeral of my best friend were I was supposed to be a poll bearer because I had been blackout drunk from the day I found out he died until probably a week after he was buried.
Ugh. That's is bad. Glad you got over it. Hopefully.Yeah, people grieve in different ways and substances effect people different ways though science has pretty much proved that booze longterm is not good, though some, seemingly, can. And then there is weird phenomena of recovering people. One thing I say about legalizing weed (and maybe even others) is to make some kind of standard. At least a person, a cop, a parent, a doc or emt has an idea WHAT was used. And, I strongly suspect, politcal motives- not just profit- for all the 'synthetic' cheap drugs imported/smuggled from abroad.

Rocketeer

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 03, 2018, 11:04:25 PM
When I drink, I just don't have one.  Last time I noticed, a wine bottle had 4 full glasses in it.  It's not like it is tequila!  LOL.  I've only in the last few months gotten the taste back for wine.  I don't drink beer now though.  That was last night I had a bottle and how long have you been on this site?  I've gone years without drinking either of them and I'm sure I will again.

Oh, please.  Drink your fill; be Lucullan in your vices!   

I meant only to draw attention to your ill-carpentered backpedaling -- from the Calvinistically iron stance of, "I'm not a fan of marijuana but if people want to fry their brain, go for it" (emphasis mine), to, "Our experiences shape who we are.  . . . enjoy your substance of choice!" (all the negative sting neatly removed).  You went from cruel to nice out of convenience.  These are objectively slippery vacillations and I find it very meaningful to see them issued by a declared non-progressive. 

That's all.

Pass the 19 Crimes.

albrecht

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 03, 2018, 11:39:34 PM
I loved Bruce Williams. I still listen to his last show annually, at least.  In the early 90s, driving around Iowa, he was the only sane voice that wasn't Rush or Art. I think he was a Saturday afternoon show at the time.
Bruce Williams was awesome. I don't know why but I could listen to him talk against time-shares or something even though I had no interest in them!

yoursongs

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 03, 2018, 11:39:34 PM

What part of Iowa, if you remember?

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 03, 2018, 11:49:24 PM
Oh, please.  Drink your fill; be Lucullan in your vices!   

I meant only to draw attention to your ill-carpentered backpedaling -- from the Calvinistically iron stance of, "I'm not a fan of marijuana but if people want to fry their brain, go for it" (emphasis mine), to, "Our experiences shape who we are.  . . . enjoy your substance of choice!" (all the negative sting neatly removed).  You went from cruel to nice out of convenience.  These are objectively slippery vacillations and I find it very meaningful to see them issued by a declared non-progressive. 

That's all.

Pass the 19 Crimes.

I'm biased against marijuana.  It helped make my brother schizoid.  You'd probably feel the same way if it happened to a member of your own family.  I do try to understand though and in the end I'm pretty much a libertarian.  Definitely not a progressive as you say.  I find that term laughable by the way. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on May 03, 2018, 11:48:48 PM
Ugh. That's is bad. Glad you got over it. Hopefully.Yeah, people grieve in different ways and substances effect people different ways though science has pretty much proved that booze longterm is not good, though some, seemingly, can. And then there is weird phenomena of recovering people. One thing I say about legalizing weed (and maybe even others) is to make some kind of standard. At least a person, a cop, a parent, a doc or emt has an idea WHAT was used. And, I strongly suspect, politcal motives- not just profit- for all the 'synthetic' cheap drugs imported/smuggled from abroad.
Yeah. It was pretty messed up. I wasn’t even a drinker at the time. It had probably been a year because I had gotten custody of my son. But he and I would always do a jigger of Wild Turkey 101 before we went out for the night. So I went and sat at a neighborhood bar and shut it down. I don’t remember the next week. I was supposed to fly to Pittsburgh. I haven’t been able to speak to his family about it and it has been 30 years.

I don’t hold her responsible for not making the funeral. She will regret it one day like I did. I hope she can get past that. I do hold her responsible for the crap since then.

I am glad that social media did not exist back when I drank. Although I did end up with some strange long distance phone bills. 

WOTR

Quote from: SpookyTim on May 02, 2018, 07:06:57 PM
If I've learned one thing tonight, it's that I want to stay on the good site of the Bellgabbers. Although I'd be happy just to have the phone calls on my show. Nobody wants to call on a Saturday night.
I'll admit that I'm impressed.  This place usually chews up and spits out radio hosts... Yet you seem to fit in well.  Be forewarned that we are only "vaguely lovable."

That said, I am going to have to make a point to catch your show.  Your posting style shows promise (and intelligence) and I hold out some hope...  I should, however, ask in advance if your apartment is uncomfortably hot, if you suffer indigestion,  are allergic to spider bites, or if your internet connection particularly poor?  Please understand that I only ask because we have all learned that podcast host is one of the most dangerous occupations out there...

dsz

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2018, 11:44:28 PM
Since they claim CBD oil cures just about everything, when you take it, how does it know which order to fix things?

^^^^
Maybe it too is magic.