Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Claudius

Quote from: Segundus on December 12, 2015, 11:30:55 PM
I did not listen, and probably will not.  How can this person compete with a guy with years and years of interviewing experience, and a real active curiosity and enough knowledge to provide insights on a lot of topics?  I don't see it happening.  How about all those radio stations that signed on?  What could they be thinking about this?  Will they stay?  Who gets the Time Traveler income now?
Several radio stations have already thrown the show overboard. They aren't going to keep it.

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 11:29:17 PM
Read the previous threads and see if you can figure it out.  Also, look up the term and see how it is defined and also known.   :D
I see you are back, with a Tourette's like vigor, to your only two points:

1) something, something, logical fallacy
and
2) blah, blah, ad hominem

Here is some latin for you, Sunshine. Ad nauseam. As in "Mr. Gassy mentioned logical fallacies ad nauseum."

deltalitprof

I find her voice very sexy. But you guys are being unfair. You cannot compare someone with decades of experience to someone who just started. She has to find her form and practice it for a long time.


deltalitprof

A word to gassy man from another teacher of critical thinking: yes, it's awfully impressive you have learned all these logical fallacy names and that you enjoy pointing out when we use them. But how does that do credit to your own argument? How does that help with your own credibility if you make yourself vulnerable to the charge of unctuousness? And isn't it true that the best arguments (that is, those most likely to persuade their audiences) benefit from close study of the audiences themselves? You betray a lack of knowledge about the circumstances from which redacted emerged and became Heather Wade. Then you attack her lack of experience and technique, even her intellect and you do so in your schoolmaster voice, seeming to assume you'll be echoed approvingly. No, sir.  To quote Aristotle, "You are not wrong, Walter. You are just an asshole." Then someone says so. Then you come out firing the fallacies list at us. We're supposed to salute you.

Is that the way you want to live your life, sir? Is that the way you teach? Surely not. It puts me in mind of the story of Stonewall Jackson reading the surveying textbook to his cadets at The Citadel. When they'd ask him a question, he'd simply start over on his reading of the chapter. Not helpful. Not teaching. Stonewall's calling would come later. Not to teaching.

You're demonstrating you've been a good pupil of logical fallacies. That's all you're doing. You've succeeded. Enjoy it.

And now we know who you are.

Mind Flayer Monk

Quote from: deltalitprof on December 13, 2015, 12:33:06 AM
A word to gassy man from another teacher of critical thinking: yes, it's awfully impressive you have learned all these logical fallacy names and that you enjoy pointing out when we use them. But how does that do credit to your own argument?

I think its just joking. In an earlier post he asked people to bring it on and then a couple users made some jokes, which could just be people playing along with a joke. Just mentioning this before things move too far along.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 13, 2015, 12:39:17 AM
I think its just joking. In an earlier post he asked people to bring it on and then a couple users made some jokes, which could just be people playing along with a joke. Just mentioning this before things move too far along.

Let the salt flow.

Claudius

Oh great, two self-professed philosophers are fighting over nothing. Isn't the entire conversation moot considering the show won't survive anyway?

Quote from: Claudius on December 13, 2015, 12:46:01 AM
Oh great, two self-professed philosophers are fighting over nothing. Isn't the entire conversation moot considering the show won't survive anyway?

The only philosopher I trust; Moon Man. He can wax lyrical like none other.   ;D

DanTSX

Quote from: Claudius on December 13, 2015, 12:46:01 AM
Oh great, two self-professed philosophers are fighting over nothing. Isn't the entire conversation moot considering the show won't survive anyway?

It's like a couple of college freshmen on winter break, after having taken their first philosophy class...

Gassy Man

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 13, 2015, 12:18:18 AM
I see you are back, with a Tourette's like vigor, to your only two points:

1) something, something, logical fallacy
and
2) blah, blah, ad hominem

Here is some latin for you, Sunshine. Ad nauseam. As in "Mr. Gassy mentioned logical fallacies ad nauseum."
You'd be good to take your own advice, given that you haven't offered anything but the same fallacy again and again and . . . ;D

Gassy Man

Quote from: deltalitprof on December 13, 2015, 12:33:06 AM
A word to gassy man from another teacher of critical thinking: yes, it's awfully impressive you have learned all these logical fallacy names and that you enjoy pointing out when we use them. But how does that do credit to your own argument? How does that help with your own credibility if you make yourself vulnerable to the charge of unctuousness? And isn't it true that the best arguments (that is, those most likely to persuade their audiences) benefit from close study of the audiences themselves? You betray a lack of knowledge about the circumstances from which redacted emerged and became Heather Wade. Then you attack her lack of experience and technique, even her intellect and you do so in your schoolmaster voice, seeming to assume you'll be echoed approvingly. No, sir.  To quote Aristotle, "You are not wrong, Walter. You are just an asshole." Then someone says so. Then you come out firing the fallacies list at us. We're supposed to salute you.

Is that the way you want to live your life, sir? Is that the way you teach? Surely not. It puts me in mind of the story of Stonewall Jackson reading the surveying textbook to his cadets at The Citadel. When they'd ask him a question, he'd simply start over on his reading of the chapter. Not helpful. Not teaching. Stonewall's calling would come later. Not to teaching.

You're demonstrating you've been a good pupil of logical fallacies. That's all you're doing. You've succeeded. Enjoy it.

And now we know who you are.
This is great -- I'm going to use it as an extra credit assignment in one of the courses.  Thanks!  ;D

Gassy Man

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 13, 2015, 12:20:56 AM
Is that site in FrontPage 98?   ;D ;D ;D :D ;) :( :o ::) :-[ :'( :-\ :-X
What if it is?  Are you now attacking the format rather than the information?  Thanks for proving the case all over again.   ;D

Gassy Man

Quote from: DanTSX on December 13, 2015, 01:02:58 AM
It's like a couple of college freshmen on winter break, after having taken their first philosophy class...
Actually, it's a lot like trying to teach some college freshmen, especially ones who know very little, read very little, and learn very little, and yet are eminently convinced they are correct simply because they say so.  They're almost always the ones to resort to logical fallacies like personal attacks, straw man, circular reasoning, begging the question, and hasty generalization.  Even when you point out the problems, as well as resources they can consult, the response is usually the same:  They're not the problem.  You're the problem, their parents are the problem, society is the problem, their boss is the problem, life is the problem, and so on.  Of course, they routinely fail at other things in life, too, but it's easier to blame than to face reality.   It partially explains the high failure rate in both individual classes and graduation, as well as why some people -- often the most in denial about their own incompetence -- never go to college at all, under the pretense that they're "too smart for that" and don't need formal education.  Age is not the issue, either.  An 18-year-old's ignorance and hubris might make some sense, as perhaps they're too inexperienced in life to often know better.  But we get them these days at 30, 40, 70, or whatever with the same attitude.   There are people who earn their confidence through their accomplishments.  And then there are just people who are confident, even if deep down (and sometimes not so deep), they are just reacting from insecurity.   And that often motivates them to attack people who do know more.

Claudius

Quote from: deltalitprof on December 13, 2015, 12:33:06 AM
A word to gassy man from another teacher of critical thinking: yes, it's awfully impressive you have learned all these logical fallacy names and that you enjoy pointing out when we use them. But how does that do credit to your own argument? How does that help with your own credibility if you make yourself vulnerable to the charge of unctuousness? And isn't it true that the best arguments (that is, those most likely to persuade their audiences) benefit from close study of the audiences themselves [-1 Point Unclear. Who is the audience?]? You betray a lack of knowledge about the circumstances from which redacted emerged and became Heather Wade [-1 Point. No evidence provided.]. Then you attack her lack of experience and technique[-1 Point. Her lack of experience is the evidence of her lack of qualification], even her intellect [-5 Points Straw-man.] and you do so in your schoolmaster voice, seeming to assume you'll be echoed approvingly. No, sir.  To quote Aristotle, "You are not wrong, Walter. You are just an asshole." Then someone says so. [Unclear meaning and poor sentence structure] Then you come out firing the fallacies list at us. We're supposed to salute you. [Unclear]

Is that the way you want to live your life, sir? Is that the way you teach? Surely not. It [reminds me of the story...] of Stonewall Jackson reading the surveying textbook to his cadets at The Citadel. When they'd ask him a question, he'd simply start over on his reading of the chapter. Not helpful. Not teaching. Stonewall's calling would come later. Not to teaching. [Non sequitur]

You're demonstrating you've been a good pupil of logical fallacies. [Does he have a good understanding of logical fallacies? Is this a confused compliment? Or a personal attack?] That's all you're doing. You've succeeded. Enjoy it. [-5 Points. Ad hominem]

I don't feel as though there was much thought put into this assignment and am disappointed in the quality overall. Please try this again and turn it in by the end of the week.

And now we know who you are.
Can I join in too??? I studied political philosophy, you know, the philosophy that sometimes makes people commit genocide.  :D

Mind Flayer Monk

Somewhere between ad hominems and ad baculums lies a place called...Bellgab.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 01:21:47 AM
They're almost always the ones to resort to logical fallacies like personal attacks, straw man, circular reasoning, begging the question, and hasty generalization.

i just finished a class on rhetorical appeals.  you're causing my tourette ticks to re-emerge.

Faustina

Quote from: Claudius on December 12, 2015, 11:32:00 PM
Several radio stations have already thrown the show overboard. They aren't going to keep it.

True.  I listened to Clyde Lewis for a bit on Friday and KXL Portland is giving him 2 hours back (his show was shortened to 3 hours when the station signed on for MITD).

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 13, 2015, 01:36:25 AM
Somewhere between ad hominems and ad baculums lies a place called...Bellgab.

Rod Serling? Have you come back among us?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on December 12, 2015, 09:07:57 PM
I don't agree with this at all. I'm simply saying I don't think the circumstances are fair to Heather.

Nobody is going to be like anyone was "used to" with Art. And that's not Heather's fault.

Nail, head, hit. Heather was put in an invidious position through no fault of her own.

Gassy Man

Quote from: MV on December 13, 2015, 01:41:43 AM
i just finished a class on rhetorical appeals.  you're causing my tourette ticks to re-emerge.
I feel sorry for you, haha, Michael.  If it's any consolation, I finished a law history class not too long ago, so I know how you feel, and I teach this kind of thing every term.  But at this point, I feel like I've said plenty on the subject, unless someone else wants to start flailing about with insults and logical fallacies yet again.  I'm probably also going to take another prolonged break from the boards.  With Art not doing the show anymore, I'm not sure there's really anything to talk about.  I miss quite a few of the old posters, too, and the quality of the conversation.

SnapT

If Art had just thought this through better, he could've retired from the show gracefully and installed Heather as the new host in a way that might not have caused any radio affiliates to IMMEDIATELY drop the show. 

I mean, he still hasn't even put out a formal announcement or press release announcing that Heather Wade IS the new host.  That's crazy.  As far as radio stations (that aren't paying close attention) are concerned, the show is simply dead and they're now scrambling for a replacement show.

And Conan O'Brien thinks HE had it bad after he took over THE TONIGHT SHOW... sheesh!

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 01:21:47 AM
Actually, it's a lot like trying to teach some college freshmen, especially ones who know very little, read very little, and learn very little, and yet are eminently convinced they are correct simply because they say so.  They're almost always the ones to resort to logical fallacies like personal attacks, straw man, circular reasoning, begging the question, and hasty generalization.  Even when you point out the problems, as well as resources they can consult, the response is usually the same:  They're not the problem.  You're the problem, their parents are the problem, society is the problem, their boss is the problem, life is the problem, and so on.  Of course, they routinely fail at other things in life, too, but it's easier to blame than to face reality.   It partially explains the high failure rate in both individual classes and graduation, as well as why some people -- often the most in denial about their own incompetence -- never go to college at all, under the pretense that they're "too smart for that" and don't need formal education.  Age is not the issue, either.  An 18-year-old's ignorance and hubris might make some sense, as perhaps they're too inexperienced in life to often know better.  But we get them these days at 30, 40, 70, or whatever with the same attitude.   There are people who earn their confidence through their accomplishments.  And then there are just people who are confident, even if deep down (and sometimes not so deep), they are just reacting from insecurity.   And that often motivates them to attack people who do know more.

But enough about the Politics Threads, and back to GNS..

[sic]

Quote from: MV on December 12, 2015, 09:14:45 PM
From what i heard of it, she held things together about 1000% better than most would have.

I wonder what 1000% of zero is.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: [sic] on December 13, 2015, 02:18:08 AM
I wonder what 1000% of zero is.

And your best is...?  In round figures.

[sic]

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 02:02:18 AM
I feel sorry for you, haha, Michael.  If it's any consolation, I finished a law history class not too long ago, so I know how you feel, and I teach this kind of thing every term.  But at this point, I feel like I've said plenty on the subject, unless someone else wants to start flailing about with insults and logical fallacies yet again.  I'm probably also going to take another prolonged break from the boards.  With Art not doing the show anymore, I'm not sure there's really anything to talk about.  I miss quite a few of the old posters, too, and the quality of the conversation.

hard to compare gifs to conversations though...

[sic]

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 02:22:26 AM
And your best is...?  In round figures.

Hehe. Let me get out my calculator. Whole numbers have always been a struggle for me.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: [sic] on December 13, 2015, 02:23:36 AM
Hehe. Let me get out my calculator. Whole numbers have always been a struggle for me.

You don't know how good you are when thrown into an unfamiliar task at very short notice?  You disappoint your fans I'm sure.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 13, 2015, 02:14:13 AM
But enough about the Politics Threads, and back to GNS..
Best suggestion I've heard today.


Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod