• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Element 115 on May 17, 2018, 04:57:42 PM
Where is this person lately who used this as their avatar here?  Ihave not heard from them in eons.  i forgot their username.
Ciardelo

Shithead

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 17, 2018, 04:12:02 PM
Interesting insights. Thanks for the kind words.

The funny thing about being a disembodied voice over your speakers is that some things are lost in translation.

Having done this type of programming for 12 years there is NO WAY to please everyone. When I am goofy I get hatemail, when I'm serious, I get hate mail, when I press guests I get hate mail, when I don't press the guests I get hate mail.

This type of topic isn't taken seriously as it is, so I try to show it the seriousness it deserves without being overly gullible. If I buy into a topic, I'm a shill, if I question the validity of the topic, I'm a killjoy and villain.

I've always tried to measure the temperature of the audience to appeal to the masses and remain true to who I am. I've made changes over the years and always try to adapt.

With a topic like we cover here I aim to make the topic the star, the focus, not the host. When I open up I get told to shut up, nobody wants to hear my thoughts, they want to hear the guest. If I shut up and let the guests go I get criticized that I am a shit host that cannot maintain direction of his own show.

We can't have it every way, I cannot be all to everyone. Funny thing is, as I read your posts, (meaning everyone's) people put Art on a pedestal in one post and 5 posts later call him a quitter or that he phoned it in, or was perfect or unstable.

I walked into a maelstrom of feces and I am busy working to right a sinking ship, balance change while paying honor to what came before. Not one person would be able to step in and be all that everyone needs or wants, and before I can be ME I need to get my footing, feel out my new surroundings and do what it takes to bring an audience back to MitD and not be offensive in either direction.

My goal is to be as well rounded as possible, adapt, change and keep moving forward. This show hemmoraged ten's of thousands of listeners when Art left. We are already up over 15% from where we were when Art died and that number keeps climbing.

With that said, and I mean this with total respect for everyones time. If you find me hard to listen to, I make you unhappy in anyway, don't listen. I won't be mad, life is too short to spend it doing things that don't add to your life.

To the people that elect to move on, enjoy your journey and I hope you find your next Art.

For those that love this kind of show and want to stick with me, I'm here for the long haul, long after the shitnado blows over and I will be the best version of me I can bring you to help you enjoy the show more.

I am always open to constructive criticism. Feel free to email me anytime.

Dave@midnightinthedesert.com

Your Milly Vanilla friend,

Dave

Rix Gins

This is getting to be like the old days when Art was broadcasting.  There would be enough traffic to where you had to wait for a post to appear.  I have been getting a 503 service unavailable screen a couple times today. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: Element 115 on May 17, 2018, 04:57:42 PM
Where is this person lately who used this as their avatar here?  Ihave not heard from them in eons.  i forgot their username.

Yes, as bellNwhistle said, Ciardelo.  Actually he re-appeared for a bit the day after Art died.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5021.msg1173119#msg1173119

Sean92008

Quote from: username on May 17, 2018, 03:52:40 PM

https://youtu.be/LRPILZS1hc8

Wayne got what he deserved, that ass paid his stage band and backup singers shit.  Lost his house, I hear.

chefist

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 17, 2018, 05:11:23 PM
This is getting to be like the old days when Art was broadcasting.  There would be enough traffic to where you had to wait for a post to appear.  I have been getting a 503 service unavailable screen a couple times today.

Ha...me too...good observation. I enjoy it...especially Dave and his wife popping in and joining in the threads...during the day and during the show. Love Art, but he never posted during a show.

chefist

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 17, 2018, 05:18:22 PM
Wayne got what he deserved, that ass paid his stage band and backup singers shit.  Lost his house, I hear.

Oh, really? Interesting...I love hearing stories about how entertainers were either stingy or generous...Elvis was quite the latter.

Rix Gins

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2018, 05:18:58 PM
Ha...me too...good observation. I enjoy it...especially Dave and his wife popping in and joining in the threads...during the day and during the show. Love Art, but he never posted during a show.

Ha, no Art never did post here during a show.  Lucky for us that Dave is ambidextrous. 

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 17, 2018, 05:26:10 PM
Ha, no Art never did post here during a show.  Lucky for us Winnie that Dave is ambidextrous.

FIFY ;)

Sean92008

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2018, 05:20:06 PM
Oh, really? Interesting...I love hearing stories about how entertainers were either stingy or generous...Elvis was quite the latter.
My old friend's father played for Sammy Davis Jr... Sammy bought him a room addition with an air conditioner upgrade.

Old Vegas was great Vegas

Interesting insights. Thanks for the kind words.

The funny thing about being a disembodied voice over your speakers is that some things are lost in translation.

Having done this type of programming for 12 years there is NO WAY to please everyone. When I am goofy I get hatemail, when I'm serious, I get hate mail, when I press guests I get hate mail, when I don't press the guests I get hate mail.

This type of topic isn't taken seriously as it is, so I try to show it the seriousness it deserves without being overly gullible. If I buy into a topic, I'm a shill, if I question the validity of the topic, I'm a killjoy and villain.

I've always tried to measure the temperature of the audience to appeal to the masses and remain true to who I am. I've made changes over the years and always try to adapt.

With a topic like we cover here I aim to make the topic the star, the focus, not the host. When I open up I get told to shut up, nobody wants to hear my thoughts, they want to hear the guest. If I shut up and let the guests go I get criticized that I am a shit host that cannot maintain direction of his own show.

We can't have it every way, I cannot be all to everyone. Funny thing is, as I read your posts, (meaning everyone's) people put Art on a pedestal in one post and 5 posts later call him a quitter or that he phoned it in, or was perfect or unstable.

I walked into a maelstrom of feces and I am busy working to right a sinking ship, balance change while paying honor to what came before. Not one person would be able to step in and be all that everyone needs or wants, and before I can be ME I need to get my footing, feel out my new surroundings and do what it takes to bring an audience back to MitD and not be offensive in either direction.

My goal is to be as well rounded as possible, adapt, change and keep moving forward. This show hemmoraged ten's of thousands of listeners when Art left. We are already up over 15% from where we were when Art died and that number keeps climbing.

With that said, and I mean this with total respect for everyones time. If you find me hard to listen to, I make you unhappy in anyway, don't listen. I won't be mad, life is too short to spend it doing things that don't add to your life.

To the people that elect to move on, enjoy your journey and I hope you find your next Art.

For those that love this kind of show and want to stick with me, I'm here for the long haul, long after the shitnado blows over and I will be the best version of me I can bring you to help you enjoy the show more.

I am always open to constructive criticism. Feel free to email me anytime.

Dave@midnightinthedesert.com

Your Milly Vanilla friend,

Dave

I am a long time lurker and had to come out of the shadows to say that I think you are doing great!  I enjoy the show once again.

Also, to the rest of you and this whole Heather debacle...

This has been the best schadenfreude EVER!    :D :D

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2018, 05:20:06 PM
To almost to a fault in some cases.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 17, 2018, 05:11:23 PM

I started with a 300 baid acoustical modem (pre internet). I am sure my packard bell that I used to get on to AOL was at least 2400 baud, I don’t think my first one was 14.4.

https://youtu.be/ckc6XSSh52w

chefist

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 17, 2018, 05:28:52 PM
My old friend's father played for Sammy Davis Jr... Sammy bought him a room addition with an air conditioner upgrade.

Old Vegas was great Vegas

Great story...I can see that in Sammy. Dean was supposedly very generous too.

zeebo

...My goal is to be as well rounded as possible, adapt, change and keep moving forward....

Dave, it's easy, we only want two things from you.  First, completely change everything to be exactly what we want you to be.  Second, just be yourself.   :D   

Ok, jokes aside, you've got enough experience to know what to do.  My advice is just keep doing what you're doing while remaining that little bit flexible to keep the show fresh. 

zeebo

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 17, 2018, 10:48:22 AM
I can't recall if he was infatuated with Heather or not. I seem to recall he was enraptured with someone.. not sure if it was her.

I thought it was TigerLily.  But there's alot of that going around.   ;)

Ghost Nutter

Is paranormal media becoming an over crowded market?

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2018, 05:33:06 PM
To almost to a fault in some cases.

Exactly...the same with Ric Flair...have you watched "Elvis and Nixon"? It's spectacular...there, Elvis dismisses that with a simple statement..."No one tells a grown man what to do with his money." Ha  ;D Perfect

weeberwubber

Quote from: teknoslag on May 17, 2018, 12:06:30 AM
Not much of a surprise. He bet his network's future on a fake radio host with a fake Midnight in the Desert clone.

I once had a competitor who tried to steal my business, quite literally. He first paid a kickback to an employee of mine who would send the information to him when we would quote jobs. When I found out he hired my now former employee and told her to "make my business run exactly like his." She didn't know how because she wasn't me. They reproduced what I did and tried lower prices. They offered every person in my employ a job and a raise if they would leave here but nobody else left. In the end they tried so hard to be me that they could only reproduce a ghost of me, because in order to succeed to have to continually evolve and they didn't know how to evolve me. They never did try being themselves before they went out of business. It's going to be much the same with Heather. She's copying a ghost and can't evolve further. She will fade. Heater Fade.

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on May 17, 2018, 05:37:50 PM
I thought it was TigerLily.  But there's alot of that going around.   ;)

And it itches too.

HumanBeing

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 17, 2018, 04:54:10 PM
The best game show episode ever..

https://youtu.be/K2PT-3Xjf8I

;D
I do love the British.
Makes me wonder though, does one ever lose their dirty mind?
There's even some words that when I her people say them my mind immediately goes in the gutter.

Ghost Nutter

No complaints from me...just more content and topics...we all win at the end of the day..When it's time to rest our weary heads and find that cozy place in the dark

zeebo

Quote from: SpookyTim on May 17, 2018, 01:16:05 PM
If somebody puts "you will carry on my legacy" in writing, that person is a douche. Let's not confuse bequeathing her with the show name, equipment, etc with carrying on "the legacy."

Everyone in radio is just the next person sitting in a seat. You make that seat your own, and hopefully people miss you for a bit when you're no longer in it, while they get used to the next person in the seat.

Exactly.  I was unsettled hearing in the last couple days by HW using Art's catch-phrases, vocal inflections, pre-recorded promos, bumpers, and self-referential stories about him.  It's impossible to replicate a one-of-a-kind, and beyond that it's becoming a bit macabre at this point. 

I think Dave S. handled it like a pro.  Gave a short but sweet nod to Art's huge impact and influence on the genre, told a few personal stories about what it all meant to him, then proceeded to march on in the spirit (not the image) of Art's work.

chefist

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 17, 2018, 05:43:54 PM
;D
I do love the British.
Makes me wonder though, does one ever lose their dirty mind?
There's even some words that when I her people say them my mind immediately goes in the gutter.

I grew up watching Monty Python and Benny Hill...I thought the English were funny perverts...can't say that opinion has changed.

Sean92008

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2018, 05:37:15 PM
Great story...I can see that in Sammy. Dean was supposedly very generous too.

I loved living there, so many old timers that it was a pleasure to say "Mr." to.  Sinatra's old pianist was my piano tuner in 2005 as a favor.  He later went on to write a book, Vince Falcone.  Sinatra treated him well too.

If it weren't for having school-aged kids, I would have loved to stay there. I think.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Mister Coincidence on May 17, 2018, 05:29:42 PM
This has been the best schadenfreude EVER!    :D :D

We're good at that one here.  ;)

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 17, 2018, 05:18:22 PM

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 17, 2018, 05:39:36 PM
And it itches too.

I think Bart Ell's got a cream for that.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 17, 2018, 04:54:10 PM
The best game show episode ever..

https://youtu.be/K2PT-3Xjf8I

That made me laugh so hard tears were streaming down my face. ;D