• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm going to blow my fucking brains out once and for all.

Started by NefariousBanana, November 18, 2015, 09:31:36 PM

WOTR

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 16, 2019, 04:45:40 AM
:-X

Maybe the cattle in Canada all get back rubs and are read to sleep every night but that's not the case in most countries. Talk sense, farmers are going to do as little as they can get away with for the most part when it comes to animal welfare. It's profit that they're after and the giant conglomerates they are producing for aren't giving them very generous margins, you can be sure of that. No, I've never worked on a farm, but even if you're going to tell me you have, that doesn't give you the right to generalise about them.*

*Yes. I know that's what I'm doing but basic economic sense dictates that I am more likely to be correct than you.
Bull riding, barns, pickup trucks and stetson's... The whole 9 yards, when I was younger.

I don't think anybody is saying that they are getting back rubs. But I want to know where the abuse is? Feedlots are overcrowded and shitholes (literally.) But most farmers leave their cattle to graze in fields. I want to know what is so bad about that? Hormones? Yes, the are given them. Antibiotics? You bet. Mostly because (as you mentioned) the only way to turn a profit is to get them to weight and have them live. But neither of those makes for a bad existence. For cattle (at least) the cheapest way for most people to raise them is to leave them unmolested in a field to graze their lives away (again, feedlots are an exception.)

Chickens all suffer (or at least 95% of them.) Hogs are a mixed bag. There are some really bad producers who crate their animals and they do suffer. And almost all of them have some discomfort when they are young (even under a "good" producer.) Yes, I have castrated them- anesthetic was not used. Just a scalpel and pop the little fuckers out and use antiseptic to prevent infection. Not nice- but after they healed, they lead pretty good lives right up to slaughter. And as for that making me a bad person- think of circumcision. Same basic age, lots of pain, different species.

Lambs and sheep are mostly humanly raised- mostly small producers- though I would imagine that can not be said of Australia and New Zeland. Dairy is a whole different world. Cows can not be stressed (they produce less milk.) And they damn well know it. The stupid animals would step in front of the bobcat when I was cleaning the barns and sit there and stare at me and smile (yes, dairy cows smile when they are being shitheads.) The knew I could not run them over, there were no cattle prods, and all I could do was get out and try to force the stupid 1000 lb animal to get the hell out of the way. That said, they are "used" and they do develop mastitis and suffer some problems. And after giving birth a few times, they are usually sent for slaughter young as production dries up...

Finally, laying eggs is generally a bad existence for an animal. Poultry, in general is treated poorly.

Yes, I feel that I can generalize as I have seen quite a lot...

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 19, 2019, 02:15:51 PM
Good to know some are treated humanely.  I think sustainable village mentalities happen to be a lot more human than practices of Big Agra.
Big agra keeps growing, and factory farms and feed lots do make it more difficult for smaller farmers to keep pace. Having said that, a recent study found that smaller farms are generally more profitable (per acre) than the massive ones. The problem comes that while more profitable per acre, you still need the acres to turn enough of a profit to live.

The other problem is that most consumers want to save three cents a pound on ground beef. It is hard to convince them that humanely treated animals are worth paying for.

On a side note, I went out today to get a load of sheep manure. The farmer will sell me a whole live sheep for $300, or slaughtered, cut and wrapped for $400 (probably worth the $100 to not have to deal with disposing of entrails and a head...) And yes- they are grazing happily in the open enjoying their lives (at least they will until I place the order in a couple of months...) A few of us used to get together an purchase a cow every year from a lady where I used to board my horse. (Sadly, I'm not joking. "Twister" was a great horse.)  :)

It's really not that hard to find people to sell you an animal direct, if you look. And prices do not need to be boutique specialty shop prices...

***I'll put the soapbox away for the evening...

AZZERAE

Every once in a while, I'll step out on the balcony and think about jumping. I'll think, "Is this the final thrill?"

I reconsider.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: WOTR on May 29, 2019, 02:39:34 AM
Big agra keeps growing, and factory farms and feed lots do make it more difficult for smaller farmers to keep pace. Having said that, a recent study found that smaller farms are generally more profitable (per acre) than the massive ones. The problem comes that while more profitable per acre, you still need the acres to turn enough of a profit to live.

The other problem is that most consumers want to save three cents a pound on ground beef. It is hard to convince them that humanely treated animals are worth paying for.

On a side note, I went out today to get a load of sheep manure. The farmer will sell me a whole live sheep for $300, or slaughtered, cut and wrapped for $400 (probably worth the $100 to not have to deal with disposing of entrails and a head...) And yes- they are grazing happily in the open enjoying their lives (at least they will until I place the order in a couple of months...) A few of us used to get together an purchase a cow every year from a lady where I used to board my horse. (Sadly, I'm not joking. "Twister" was a great horse.)  :)

It's really not that hard to find people to sell you an animal direct, if you look. And prices do not need to be boutique specialty shop prices...

I like my meat happy when it gets slaughtered. It just doesn't taste the same if the animal doesn't feel like it has something to live for.

P.S. Kobe cows get massaged with Saki daily and listen to classical music.

albrecht

Do you know any Scots, Norwegians, or Mexicans.... they might take care of those, maybe even pay you, for those......  ;)   

Jojo

ItsOver

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 10, 2019, 06:50:27 PM
I like my meat happy when it gets slaughtered. It just doesn't taste the same if the animal doesn't feel like it has something to live for.

P.S. Kobe cows get massaged with Saki daily and listen to classical music.
Who doesn’t like their meat happy and massaged?

ItsOver

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 18, 2015, 10:21:29 PM
Wait a day or two and volunteer to cohost GabCast. That will give you a reason to live. Sometimes it just takes a small reason.
LOL.  Always set your life goals high.