• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151110 - Jim Elvidge - Digital Simulated Reality - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 10, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

Spinner

Quote from: jazmunda on November 11, 2015, 12:04:34 AM
You obviously don't read all my posts. Most are about poop or poop related products. :P
Really? Poop IS important.
Maybe this will add to your poop-related repertoire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy

Setting up large matrices in computers to solve problems is still incredibly hard. If you look at just your field of vision in a split-second snapshot you are processing a field of vision something like a 12,000 x 24,000 matrix.

I don't know if AIs will ever get that kind of processing power.

as far as heat death of universe maybe concerned, i tend to think the universe maybe steadily climbing up. More form filled and structure rich. Something came from nothing. Quarks in only 6 different forms, but quarks by the gazillions. Precisely identical copies of gazillions of these 6 different forms. No matter where they appeared. And all of these precise clones appearing at exactly the same instant. Precipitating with astonishing simultaneity. With mind boggling synchrony. Were these quarks formless? Far from it. All came complete with a social rulebook built into their very essence. All knew precisely which other quarks to evade and which other quarks to embrace.But here's the deal. Protons and neutrons were so radically different from quarkdom, so eye buggingly new, that they shocked the digestive solids out of the arch skeptic at the table, me. Is this a tendency towards formlessness? Is this a dissolving sugar cube? IS this a universe tumbling down the staircase of structure? No. This is a universe stepping up. A universe sprinting steadily up toward new structure and new ways of doing things. A universe inching, jumping, loping, and cart-wheeling upward on a staircase of amazements.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Barfly on November 11, 2015, 12:03:02 AM
Religious tax loopholes irritate the shit out of me

Yeah but they come along with the Constitution, which I assume you're good with. Just think how fucked we be without it. Without our constitution there would be little to restrain us all from becoming anarchists except the heel of the G's jackboot.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 11, 2015, 12:19:03 AM
In any event, he's not the God of any holy bible.

Yes, He wasn't for the Deists a couple hundred years ago either.  Who'd ever think a quaint eighteenth-century notion would see a resurgence in the 21st?

Barfly

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on November 11, 2015, 12:18:36 AM
According to the reviews Fallout 4 isn't great.  Sorry, trostol.
Its buggy, shit textures, no native SLI support and frame locked @ 60 FPS without editing the ini file..
I will pass
Console players have it worse, frames are 30FPS on the PS4 and reportedly drop to 15 sometimes..
Its a clusterfuck, but people will still buy it because they are stupid.

inuk2600

Quote from: Barfly on November 11, 2015, 12:12:21 AM
I have done just about everything i wanted to legally do (and some not so legal) and I'm ready to die anytime, no regrets.
I will be 60 on Friday, I'm healthy, fairly fit and the only thing that makes me happy these days is riding one of my Harleys, its the only time i relax.
I will likely die on a bike, its almost happened a few times, i have been riding since i was 16 legally, My dad propped me up on his Harley gas tank when i was 2 years old.
I'm ready to go, i dont fear it at all, its inevitable anyway

You know there are so many interesting discoveries right around the corner that could change the game. Curiosity can keep us alive  :)

Zzzzillion

Yyyyeeaahhh ... the Berenstain Bears thing is proof we're living in the Matrix.

This guy is just insane enough to be kind of interesting.

Donald Noory

Just think, if technology advances sufficiently, one day they will be able to upload Jorch's consciousness, and he'll be able to host Coast for all of eternity. "The horror, the horror."

Lilith

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 11, 2015, 12:21:34 AM
Unless he programmed history to unfold that way.

Which would make the book nothing more than a blueprint.  Revealing the blueprint could be considered a "revelation".

FLLFlash

Quote from: jazmunda on November 11, 2015, 12:04:34 AM
You obviously don't read all my posts. Most are about poop or poop related products. :P

Last night it was pee.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 11, 2015, 12:24:43 AM
Yyyyeeaahhh ... the Berenstain Bears thing is proof we're living in the Matrix.

This guy is just insane enough to be kind of interesting.

It's getting better.  Some guests try to hide their craziness and it takes a while for Art to pry out their insanity.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: brig on November 11, 2015, 12:25:32 AM
Which would make the book nothing more than a blueprint.  Revealing the blueprint could be considered a "revelation".

Sure. If a programmer did exist, then all religions would be equally valid despite being contradictory because they were programmed to be that way.

Zenman

Interesting. Berenstain Bears and Mandela Syndrome and such are examples of glitches that might support the Matrix Reality Theory. Cool. So, Nuclear Armageddon would be an example of Blue Screen?

norland2424

Quote from: Barfly on November 11, 2015, 12:23:07 AM
Its buggy, shit textures, no native SLI support and frame locked @ 60 FPS without editing the ini file..
I will pass
Console players have it worse, frames are 30FPS on the PS4 and reportedly drop to 15 sometimes..
Its a clusterfuck, but people will still buy it because they are stupid.

the only bug so far ive seen on the xbox one is that the pip boy app wont connect, other then that i haven't seen any frame rate drops, and graphic wise yea the engine is dated but for an open world game it isnt that bad

ZomZom

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 11, 2015, 12:26:30 AM
Sure. If a programmer did exist, then all religions would be equally valid despite being contradictory because they were programmed to be that way.
Although even if we are in a simulation, we're still within a real universe with the same existential questions we've always struggled with.

Lilith

Exactly.

inuk2600

There would be a paradox if you tried to overlay the claims of two religions on the same reality.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ZomZom on November 11, 2015, 12:28:18 AM
Although even if we are in a simulation, we're still within a real universe with the same existential questions we've always struggled with.

Well, it depends. The universes would be nested one within the other, but at the same time there would be a real universe at the very heart of it. An original real universe. They would have existential questions as we think we have them now. But if we are AI's operating within a simulation, then ours would be solved and our only question then would be is there a simulated afterlife awaiting us.