• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Horror Movies!

Started by ksm32, October 28, 2015, 09:33:10 PM

ksm32

Do you have a favorite top 5?  If so, what are they? How about any off the beaten track gems that not many know about?

My top 5 seems to change from time to time but Angel Heart (horror thriller) is always in there.  And I must say, that I blame the Blair Witch thingy for about 15 years of hand held POV bad, unoriginal let downs. 

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on October 28, 2015, 09:33:10 PM
Do you have a favorite top 5?  If so, what are they? How about any off the beaten track gems that not many know about?

My top 5 seems to change from time to time but Angel Heart (horror thriller) is always in there.  And I must say, that I blame the Blair Witch thingy for about 15 years of hand held POV bad, unoriginal let downs.
I think Halloween III is under-rated and unappreciated (by most.) It stands on its own, was a interesting departure in the franchise, and has themes (and catchy song) that are deeper than one might think.

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on October 28, 2015, 09:38:04 PM
I think Halloween III is under-rated and unappreciated (by most.) It stands on its own, was a interesting departure in the franchise, and has themes (and catchy song) that are deeper than one might think.

Thannnk You!  Trying to get my wife to watch it. She's hesitant, I think she likes the Myer boy.

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on October 28, 2015, 09:46:33 PM
Thannnk You!  Trying to get my wife to watch it. She's hesitant, I think she likes the Myer boy.
Thing is it has Tom Atkins, who deserved an Oscar for this and The Fog, and a good score and some good character actors you might recognize. And is totally off the reservation of the franchise. But the plot (absurdly hilarious!) the "social media" aspect (commercials) and Tom's great performance (and many funny lines about drinking or wanting to drink) make it an over-looked, and under-rated gem.

Eddie Coyle

"Maniac" ,1980

"Terror Train" , 1980

"Don't Answer The Phone", 1980

"Silent Night, Deadly Night" , 1984  (for it's pure awfulness)

"Bad Dreams" ,1988

GravitySucks

Pet Semetary
Cujo
The Shining
Original Psycho
The Birds

Yeah, I don't get out much

pyewacket

The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, The Changeling, The Devil's Backbone, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, and Carnival of Souls are some of my favorites.

tmock00

Carrie [the original]
Terror Train
Shaun of the Dead
Final Destination [while I enjoyed all of them, I think the first one is my favorite of the franchise]
Halloween [the original]

I also liked All Cheerleaders Die - in a campy sort of way.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on October 28, 2015, 10:06:42 PM
The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, The Changeling, The Devil's Backbone, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, and Carnival of Souls are some of my favorites.
Whoa. All good. I can't watch "Let's Scare" and "Changeling" even to this day without issue going asleep. The others mentioned, awesome but the particularly weirdness of "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" Epic but be warned.

oh, let's not forget.... (ad lib parts as you remember them!)  8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuImq54Gk9c

The Exorcist made me laugh when it came out. maybe i was that disturbed from reading the book a year earlier. or maybe i'm just disturbed.  ;D

ksm32

Ahh, The Changeling. Who could forget that one.  Always been hesitant about Scare Jessica.. will check it out :D

ksm32

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on October 28, 2015, 10:17:29 PM
oh, let's not forget.... (ad lib parts as you remember them!)  8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuImq54Gk9c

That's a great song.  Now if you'll excuse me, I going to lift weights in a gold speedo ;D

Quote from: ksm32 on October 28, 2015, 10:27:06 PM
That's a great song.  Now if you'll excuse me, I going to lift weights in a gold speedo ;D

one of my viewings of the film was at the base theater in Misawa Japan. it was shut down three times because of the audience "noise" until it was explained that it wasn't noise.  8)

trostol

if Shaun of the Dead and RHPS are allowed as horror then they are on my list lol as are Original Evil Dead and sequels..same with Original Fright Night..and what the hell...the Burbs lol

Lt.Uhura

I prefer classic horror.  Noir-ish stuff with a good story, rather than formulaic slasher horror.

No particular order and not necessarily my favorites, but all memorably scary ~

Rosemary's Baby (still scares me just thinking about it)
Dementia 13
The Haunting
The Shining
Dr Terror's House Of Horrors (a bit campy, but hey..Christopher Lee!)

Lt.Uhura

👍🏼👍🏼 Thumbs up on Black Sunday,  Evil Twin Of Zen!  Excellent choice for Halloween.

wr250

not a horror fan. if i were id read the falkie thread.

b_dubb

Phantasm
Halloween
Any Hammer horror movie

bateman

Halloween
The Descent
Alien
The Omen
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

chefist

1. John Carpenter's The Thing
2. Halloween III Season of the Witch
3. Alien
4. The Exorcist
5. The Amityville Horror (Jody the pig's red eyes outside the window)

ItsOver

"Halloween III."  "Happy, happy Halloween..."
Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth."  The only last man worth watching.
"The Hunger."  David Bowie, oh yeah.  Always stylish.
"Videodrome."  More weird than horror.  Ms. Harry, oh my.
"Hannibal."  If Dr. Lecter isn't horror, what is?  Anthony Hopkins, none better.  It was a surprise to learn Gary Oldman was Mason Verger.  "Cordellll..."  Who needs Jodie Foster.

Honorable mention for "Saw."

Misery
The Car
Christine - More cool than horror. (You guys name your cars don't you ? ) I was cheering when Moochie bit the dust.
Original Twilight Zone - "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"  Freaked the shit out of me the first time I saw it.

Of course the one in the movie was scarier looking

Jacobs ladder - total mind-fuck. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/jacobs-ladder-1990

Also:
The first time ( at 4 years old ) the I saw the "Bumble" claw his way over the mountain range in "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer". Thanks  Rankin/Bass Productions and Burl Ives, you traumatized the shit out of me and started my lifelong distrust of anything on television.  ;D

Yukon Cornelius was cool though.
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Yukon_Cornelius_sounds

ERrrrrrrrr wait a minute...

To continue with ones you may not of heard of:

Faces of Death  -  Just downright disturbing & revolting
The Devil's Rain - Earnest Borgnine as a psycho Satanist - classic B-Movie
The original  The Fall of the House of Usher
And Now The Screaming Starts (1973)
The Beast [La Bete] (1975) by Barry Meyer   NOTE: This movie was banned for a quarter century in the uncut version. BarFly, you should find a copy of this if you haven't seen it already. ;)  :D Pretty good write up about it here: http://www.filmmonthly.com/Video/Articles/TheBeast/TheBeast.html

Alien Apocalypse - Starring Bruce Campbell, Renee O’Connor, Remington Franklin, & Michael Cory Davis. Not really a horror flick, but if you like Army of darkness/evil dead & starship troopers, this movie would be the result if you crossed them.

The Beast of Bray Road - Directed by Leigh Scott.
Cemetery Man (1994)
The Bad Seed (1956)
Scary True Stories   Directed by Norio Tsuruta - Ten Japanese ghost stories. Freaky & weird.

ItsOver

Here's a couple of "odd" movies.

"Remote Control" - Yeah, it's got Kevin Dillon but to hell with him.  It has Jennifer Tilly and the hottie valley girl Deborah Goodrich.  The first time I stumbled upon this bizarre '80s flick was late at night, ages ago.  I felt like James Woods in "Videodrome."

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space" - Noory must hate this one so it has to be good.

"The Return of the Living Dead" - Goofy, fun horror.

Quote from: ItsOver on October 29, 2015, 12:59:39 PM
"The Return of the Living Dead" - Goofy, fun horror.

Send more cops...