• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150910 - David Pares - Warp Drive - Live Show Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 10, 2015, 07:37:02 PM

Good show, I enjoyed it. It's fun to listen to Art and a knowledgeable guest nerd out on sciency and engineering thing.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 11, 2015, 12:41:35 AM
I could use more help in my campaign to talk (Redacted) into booking at least Alan Moore. Gaiman may be too big for Art now. Still hoping for Ellis.

Gaiman has a book out in like 5 days. Wouldn't be hard to get him.

Zenman

Quote from: SaucyRossy on September 11, 2015, 12:43:26 AM
Tim Wallace-Murphy joins Richard on The Other Side tonight, the grail, Rennes mysteries, templars, masons, and much more.....

Join us after Art for epic eyebrow discussion.

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,8014.new.html#new

Templars??   :o

I don't know what to think of the guest.  It sounds like he's been thorough in his testing.

Juan Cena

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 11, 2015, 12:57:31 AM
Gaiman has a book out in like 5 days. Wouldn't be hard to get him.

One would hope Neil has an idea of who Art is. That could help in booking him.

cosmic hobo

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 11, 2015, 12:54:15 AM
No way. This guest belongs on Richard's show. Richard would make this entertaining and hilarious. Art's style doesn't work well with this type of guest if you're like me and don't really know much hard science.

Get real "Sandra".  You don't like any guests or topics that Art has. One might even question if you like Art and his show at all. You are a troll and possibly a bot.

AppealPlay

Very good show thus far (I'm about 40 minutes in on the archive).  The "electric fog" phenomenon has always intrigued me.  Remember the movie with Kirk Douglas where he was a Navy captain and his aircraft carrier traveled through the fog and was teleported to Pearl Harbor?  Super cool.

scottydawg

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 11, 2015, 04:26:29 AM
Very good show thus far (I'm about 40 minutes in on the archive).  The "electric fog" phenomenon has always intrigued me.  Remember the movie with Kirk Douglas where he was a Navy captain and his aircraft carrier traveled through the fog and was teleported to Pearl Harbor?  Super cool.
The Movie your referring to is "The Final Countdown" They get thrown back to December 6th, 1941. It's out on DVD now. Some great special features on the disc. Especially when they did the dogfight sequence between the Zero's and the 2 F-14 Tomcats!
They actually had a Premiere where a lot of Navy Brass were invited, the Navy Aviators in the theater were blown away by the dogfight sequence. The other cool thing was they used actual sailors and officers on board the U.S.S. Nimitz for some close up scenes.
For anyone that was in the Navy and assigned to a Carrier Battle Group watching the launch sequence of a fully loaded attack group in Surround sound can give you goose bumps! :o ;)

CornyCrow

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 11, 2015, 12:54:15 AM
No way. This guest belongs on Richard's show. Richard would make this entertaining and hilarious. Art's style doesn't work well with this type of guest if you're like me and don't really know much hard science.
I don't know a lot of science, but found this guest interesting, especially since Art translated what he was saying and really tried to bring him back to being relevant for the audience. 

I am wondering how the callers were so technically savvy? 

ZomZom

Quote from: Weirdoradio on September 10, 2015, 11:32:15 PM
Weird comment but it seems like when Leo says 'Dark Matter News' at the beginning of each broadcast now, the intonation/inflection in his voice makes it sound as though there was a word/some words cut out before he says DMN. Am I the only one who feels like that?

I thought the same thing.  I suspect Leo is a voice synthesizer of some sort.  That would explain some of his odd pronunciations.

I'm about halfway through the show.  I think it's great that David is trying to prove his theory by working toward a functioning prototype.  I'm not holding my breath for him to deliver, but I do hope he is successful.

AppealPlay

Quote from: scottydawg on September 11, 2015, 06:06:32 AM
The Movie your referring to is "The Final Countdown" They get thrown back to December 6th, 1941. It's out on DVD now. Some great special features on the disc. Especially when they did the dogfight sequence between the Zero's and the 2 F-14 Tomcats!
They actually had a Premiere where a lot of Navy Brass were invited, the Navy Aviators in the theater were blown away by the dogfight sequence. The other cool thing was they used actual sailors and officers on board the U.S.S. Nimitz for some close up scenes.
For anyone that was in the Navy and assigned to a Carrier Battle Group watching the launch sequence of a fully loaded attack group in Surround sound can give you goose bumps! :o ;)

Yes!  That's the one!  It was actually a pretty good sci-fi flick.  Martin Sheen was in it, too.  Very good stuff. :)

Wintermute

David Pares... well he is from my neck of the woods. One of my masters degrees is from UNO & from their science department. So I have spoken to him a few times in the past five years.

1. He isn't a "professor" at UNO. He is an adjunct instructor, as are many other grads and local high school teachers. Look at the Nebraska State University System budget and this will be verified.
2. The local newspaper picked up his garage warp-drive hoo-haa in Dec2014 and it was embarrassing to many at the U.
3. His actual background is meteorology and satellite remote sensing... of which his is pretty knowledgeable about and the undergrads like him.

Jack Kasher (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jack-kasher/35/266/755) used to be the head of the physics dept at UNO. Former NASA guy... you can Google him up. He was the genesis of the whole MUFON / UFO study group at UNO. David Pares picked up the reins after Kasher retired. And now has perpetuated this warp-drive concept from a flawed theory he latched on to. To what end... who knows? He doesn't derive income from it, so he's a tinkerer and a little bit of a crank on the topic.

Get him discussing weather phenomena or modeling and he's an interesting dude. Get him discussing UFOs and warp drives... he's a mole.  ???

Surmo

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 11, 2015, 01:00:36 AM
One would hope Neil has an idea of who Art is. That could help in booking him.

Maybe my memory is shot, but wasnt Neil Gaimon once interviewed by Art? Its possible
I'm thinking of an interview someone else did of Gaimon, but I could have sworn......Oops,
Art doesn't llike swearing, so I take that back.

Surmo

Never mind my last post.  I just did what I should have done before posting, and did a quick search for an Art interview of Gaimon.  Found no trace of one, so it must never have occurred.  As we all know, the internet is always right.

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 11, 2015, 04:26:29 AM

We actually had a discussion about the Final Countdown over two or three pages during the live show.

Quote from: Wintermute on September 11, 2015, 09:33:52 AM
David Pares... well he is from my neck of the woods. One of my masters degrees is from UNO & from their science department. So I have spoken to him a few times in the past five years.

1. He isn't a "professor" at UNO. He is an adjunct instructor, as are many other grads and local high school teachers. Look at the Nebraska State University System budget and this will be verified.
2. The local newspaper picked up his garage warp-drive hoo-haa in Dec2014 and it was embarrassing to many at the U.
3. His actual background is meteorology and satellite remote sensing... of which his is pretty knowledgeable about and the undergrads like him.

Jack Kasher (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jack-kasher/35/266/755) used to be the head of the physics dept at UNO. Former NASA guy... you can Google him up. He was the genesis of the whole MUFON / UFO study group at UNO. David Pares picked up the reins after Kasher retired. And now has perpetuated this warp-drive concept from a flawed theory he latched on to. To what end... who knows? He doesn't derive income from it, so he's a tinkerer and a little bit of a crank on the topic.

Get him discussing weather phenomena or modeling and he's an interesting dude. Get him discussing UFOs and warp drives... he's a mole.  ???

Thanks Wintermute.  The guy sounded legit but his science didn't, so I was having a hard time knowing what to make of it.  Thank you for shedding some light on it.

Wintermute

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 11, 2015, 11:42:07 AM
Thanks Wintermute.  The guy sounded legit but his science didn't, so I was having a hard time knowing what to make of it.  Thank you for shedding some light on it.

No worries. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Eccentric... bit of a fibber... but compared to other charlatans on C2C / MiTD, he's harmless.

Tarbaby

Quote from: jazmunda on September 10, 2015, 09:58:00 PM
I've got a meeting during the first hour of the show. Enjoy. See you soon.

Hmmmm, looks like jazz has stepped away. Think I will just help myself to this 2 pound bag of M&Ms. I don't think He'll mind. :-)

Tarbaby

I wanted to like David but the more he talked the more he gave himself away with his bad grammar, syntax, mispronunciations, occasional slips and anger, etc I was getting bad vibes and thought he was most likely a fraud. there were just too many tells and they got more frequent as the interview progressed.
  I mean, don't get me wrong, I think he is sincere about what he's doing he's just not qualified.

Mebee

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 10, 2015, 10:06:55 PM
I still think if the Earth had indeed "shifted" Art would have heard from amateur astronomers before this Inuit story came out.

Yes. This is idiotic conspiracy-theory nonsense. Thousands of amateur astronomers would know about it within hours if Earth had tilted on its axis enough to be visible to the naked eye.  It's not as if the Inuit still live on the ice. This crap is from a video of a couple of very old Inuit guys who actually live in modern housing in a town. Art may have resurrected some old debunked nonsense to make another round on the internet.

Quote from: Mebee on September 11, 2015, 03:53:05 PM
Yes. This is idiotic conspiracy-theory nonsense. Thousands of amateur astronomers would know about it within hours if Earth had tilted on its axis enough to be visible to the naked eye.  It's not as if the Inuit still live on the ice. This crap is from a video of a couple of very old Inuit guys who actually live in modern housing in a town. Art may have resurrected some old debunked nonsense to make another round on the internet.

Not to mention you can look at old weather reports to see when the sun rose and set in a particular city on this date years ago, and then compare that to when it rose and set today.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: Wintermute on September 11, 2015, 09:33:52 AM

Haven't heard the show yet...are you saying he was not properly vetted and is a kook, a fraurd or just out there way off his gield of knowledge?  Is it worth listening to, or just hold off rltill a rainy day to catch up? Either way, I am sure Art did a good job , so I  always have that to look forward to.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 11, 2015, 11:39:36 AM
We actually had a discussion about the Final Countdown over two or three pages during the live show.
Great flick!

Mebee

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 11, 2015, 05:21:13 PM
Not to mention you can look at old weather reports to see when the sun rose and set in a particular city on this date years ago, and then compare that to when it rose and set today.

This story was also based on an event a few years ago where the sun appeared to rise, for the first time in spring, a couple of days late (or early?)at an arctic location. It's due to a well-known refraction phenomenon called the Novaya Zemlya effect. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novaya_Zemlya_effect  Of course, the conspiracy theorists refused to accept that most logical explanation and went nuts over the story, insisting it was "proof" of an axis shift. Sigh...

ZomZom

Quote from: Mebee on September 11, 2015, 08:30:01 PM
This story was also based on an event a few years ago where the sun appeared to rise, for the first time in spring, a couple of days late (or early?)at an arctic location. It's due to a well-known refraction phenomenon called the Novaya Zemlya effect. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novaya_Zemlya_effect  Of course, the conspiracy theorists refused to accept that most logical explanation and went nuts over the story, insisting it was "proof" of an axis shift. Sigh...

Never heard of that before, thanks.

pumaman

Dear fellow Art Bell fans:

I did enjoy the show, as I do most art bell shows.

However, This fellow David Pares and his claims are highly doubtful.   I hold an Sc.D. in Physics, and whilst general relativity is not more forte, I know enough about it to follow scientific discussion.  The Alcubierre "warp drive" has been thoroughly investigated by professional physicists and has many questions as to its validity and viability.  There is a pretty good write-up on the Alcubierre theory on wikipedia. 

In short, Alcubierre solves the Einstein GR equations, with his stated metrics, that result in the possibility of the drive.  However, there are issues that follow from his metrics.  First, it requires a large quantity of exotic matter, with negative energy density, that has only been postulated, and never produced in a lab let alone in quantity to produce the warp bubble.  Second, the blueshift inside the bubble would produce intense gamma rays that would be lethal to human life.  Third, his metric definition probably violates quantum mechanical laws altogether.

There have been two experimental tests of Alcubierres' theory done by respected and professional physics researchers.    In particular, a group at Cal tech found that the possibility of the drive was "inconclusive".

I have avoided using rhetoric that most of my colleagues use to describe Mr. Pares and his apparatus.  Like I said, I found him an entertaining guest.  But what troubles me, is that his whole Modus operandi on Art's show was to sell his invention and  funding his for-profit company, Space warp dynamics LLC.   I dont normally call out guests as frauds and con-men, but in this case I feel it is necessary to keep my fellow Art bell fans from being separated from their hard earned cash.

regards,

Dr. Brinton Corb
Pahrump, NV.

Quote from: pumaman on September 13, 2015, 07:52:14 PM
Dear fellow Art Bell fans:

I did enjoy the show, as I do most art bell shows.

However, This fellow David Pares and his claims are highly doubtful.   I hold an Sc.D. in Physics, and whilst general relativity is not more forte, I know enough about it to follow scientific discussion.  The Alcubierre "warp drive" has been thoroughly investigated by professional physicists and has many questions as to its validity and viability.  There is a pretty good write-up on the Alcubierre theory on wikipedia. 

In short, Alcubierre solves the Einstein GR equations, with his stated metrics, that result in the possibility of the drive.  However, there are issues that follow from his metrics.  First, it requires a large quantity of exotic matter, with negative energy density, that has only been postulated, and never produced in a lab let alone in quantity to produce the warp bubble.  Second, the blueshift inside the bubble would produce intense gamma rays that would be lethal to human life.  Third, his metric definition probably violates quantum mechanical laws altogether.

There have been two experimental tests of Alcubierres' theory done by respected and professional physics researchers.    In particular, a group at Cal tech found that the possibility of the drive was "inconclusive".

I have avoided using rhetoric that most of my colleagues use to describe Mr. Pares and his apparatus.  Like I said, I found him an entertaining guest.  But what troubles me, is that his whole Modus operandi on Art's show was to sell his invention and  funding his for-profit company, Space warp dynamics LLC.   I dont normally call out guests as frauds and con-men, but in this case I feel it is necessary to keep my fellow Art bell fans from being separated from their hard earned cash.

regards,

Dr. Brinton Corb
Pahrump, NV.

You hold a doctorate in physics and you're from Pahrump?  How is it you are not on Art's show?

slatetungsten

He comments in his "talks" of sorts that “If I were just in the physics discipline, I would have never figured this out.  I guess i'm just grounded to "physics discipline" or, maybe, just maybe, he's on the 'must have" employees list for Kelly Johnson's think tank.