• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SaucyRossy on August 27, 2015, 12:19:50 AM
Though if he recovers for tomorrow's show, we will have open lines.

Yay! Richard's open lines are always batshit crazy fun.

zeebo

Quote from: Xitheron on August 27, 2015, 12:20:07 AM
Has anyone seen Ex Machina? Pretty damn cool modern AI movie

It's on my netflix queue.   ;)

Quote from: SaucyRossy on August 27, 2015, 12:19:50 AM
Head ups to anyone that hasn't heard. REPLAY OF DEAN HAGLUND TONIGHT ON OTHERSIDE

Richard is feeling under the weather.

Though if he recovers for tomorrow's show, we will have open lines.

nbirnes

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 27, 2015, 12:20:53 AM
Yay! Richard's open lines are always batshit crazy fun.

Are you going to reschedule the guest? He sounds wonderful.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Xitheron on August 27, 2015, 12:20:07 AM
Has anyone seen Ex Machina? Pretty damn cool modern AI movie

Been meaning to, but I have fears that I've figured out the story just from watching the trailer.

Meister_000

A  "Blank Slate" robot as a starting point makes no sense.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 27, 2015, 12:20:13 AM
Well besides the religious connotations, I suppose it would depend on whether the biotech is actually preserving that essential but undefinable bit that makes you "you," or if it'd just preserving your memories.

Our bodies don't always do that. We can go schizophrenic, or develop dementia, or have ourselves drained from us through Alzheimers. If biotech prevents physical death or illness, which it will eventually do, then there is no need for the concept of a soul. It becomes meaningless.

JamesMcDonald

This fellow even has photos of robots on his web site in the Artificial Intelligence section.   ;)

http://www.hutter1.net/

Designx

I like how the guest went after Hawking saying he's smart but no expert on A.I. This brings up a good point - no matter how smart one is - if it's not your field then what you say should not have any more credibility than what anyone else says.

AL5J

Quote from: Designx on August 27, 2015, 12:19:55 AM
Good job Art - these are the types of unique topics I hope you will continually have on your show.

Agreed. Since I started listening to Art back in the 90s, it's always been the variety of his gue variety of his guests they have been my favorite. That along with the fact he's not afraid to say I disagree or I don't understand.

Xitheron

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 27, 2015, 12:23:03 AM
Been meaning to, but I have fears that I've figured out the story just from watching the trailer.

I don't think you have.. The ending surprised me. Great movie especially after hearing this show. Any Art Bell fan should watch this asap. You'll thank me later.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 27, 2015, 12:18:29 AM
This is a great guest, it was a little difficult to get into his voice and accent at first. But this guy knows his stuff and I've been very into this interview. I love this sort of stuff.
jahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ihKq34Ozc

I love serious sounding crazy people.

In the emerging marijuana industry, you meet crazy fucks like this caller constantly. They all want money for some FUCKKING BRILLIANT!!!!!!! project they're working on.

Xitheron

This guy should be talking through the low voice transposer! Darth Vader style..needs to slow down a little though

trostol

norland2424

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 27, 2015, 12:27:43 AM
I love serious sounding crazy people.

In the emerging marijuana industry, you meet crazy fucks like this caller constantly.

lol you got that right  ;D ;D ;D ;D

WOTR

I would like to call to ask about what happens when we "remember" everything.  So much about who we are is because we are irrational and able to purposely lie to ourselves and forget events or "misremember" them.  What happens when that is not possible?

zeebo

Quote from: Meister_000 on August 27, 2015, 12:23:50 AM

I think the idea is we may get better general a.i. by "training" a blank robot, rather than hardwiring it for a specific task.

RoseGirl

k....that's it. I'm officially afraid of my toaster.

ShayP

Quote from: Bradsmith313 on August 27, 2015, 12:28:51 AM
Is that RCH using a voice-changer?!

Could be.  He awakens from his fever and turns it on...yeah...I can see it.  ;) ;D

We are giant microbial world robots, we have galaxies of lifeforms riding along with us, yes it maybe fractal, galaxies within galaxies......we are the robots made by our microbial ancestors....

https://youtu.be/VXa9tXcMhXQ

trostol

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 27, 2015, 12:29:44 AM
k....that's it. I'm officially afraid of my toaster.

as well as you should be..mine always does something to my bread when i put it in..makes it crunchy and brown

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Meister_000 on August 27, 2015, 12:23:50 AM

A blank slate robot reads dick and Jane. See dick run, see Jane run, see spot run.
What's a spot?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: WOTR on August 27, 2015, 12:28:45 AM
I would like to call to ask about what happens when we "remember" everything.  So much about who we are is because we are irrational and able to purposely lie to ourselves and forget events or "misremember" them.  What happens when that is not possible?

Tricky, eh? When you have total recall of your memories it changes the equation for when you have partial or selective recall like most of us. You become a different person if you are indeed the sum of your memories.