• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Phil Hendrie

Started by Caruthers612, November 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM

Who is your favorite Hendrie guest of all time..

Art Bell
Steve Bosell
Bobbie Dooley
Chris Norton
Raj Fahneen
Austin Amarka
Bob Green
Bud Dickman
Clara Bingham
David G. Hall
Dean Wheeler
Doug Dannger
Dr. Jim Sadler
Father James McQuarter
Harvey Wireman
Herb Sewell
Jay Santos
Jeff Dowder
Lloyd Bonifide
Margaret Gray
Pastor William Rennick
R.C. Collins
Ted Bell
Vernon Dozier
General Johnson Jameson
Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 18, 2015, 04:21:47 AM
It comes from March 2001, so that should help you narrow it down. There are some others like the Peenman Hell Suit and the Bea Arthur crucifix. Of course, my favourite Art Bell bit was the Goblin Juice thing where he just lost it and couldn't get the name out.
Thanks SredniVashtar. I think human waste chili maker was from Mission to Mars?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 18, 2015, 04:48:11 AM
Thanks SredniVashtar. I think human waste chili maker was from Mission to Mars?

I have a torrent of Art Bell bits, but I am not exactly sure where that one is. I always get the bits confused. It sounds a bit like the one where the General goes to Mars to kick some alien ass, wearing his trusty chrome buttock mould.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 18, 2015, 05:01:01 AM
I have a torrent of Art Bell bits, but I am not exactly sure where that one is. I always get the bits confused. It sounds a bit like the one where the General goes to Mars to kick some alien ass, wearing his trusty chrome buttock mould.
Have the Columbone bit on. Like you said, how Phil got away with this is ...A guy performs self-abuse on himself onto a door to open the school to the love invaders. There is too much to list. And the callers!.. talk about pissed off!

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 18, 2015, 04:21:47 AM
It comes from March 2001, so that should help you narrow it down. There are some others like the Peenman Hell Suit and the Bea Arthur crucifix. Of course, my favourite Art Bell bit was the Goblin Juice thing where he just lost it and couldn't get the name out.
I liked when he had a "guest" who was peddling a Franklin Mint-esque commemorative plate for 2001 Cincinnati riots. Proceeds would go to some charity to help inner-city kids or something. It kept getting worse and worse until the description of the plate got out: It feature a black teenager throwing a flaming trash-can through a plate-glass window of a storefront and had the script "Get It Together Cincinnati" and I think black and white hands shaking. Callers were outraged and he also couldn't name a single charity the proceeds would go to because "he left the list at home" which infuriated them even more. Hilarious.

sydtron

http://www.ddgnevada.com/other/ab/ab.html#hoffa

So I found this. If anybody wNts to hear some bits of Phil doing Art.

Caruthers612

Quote from: albrecht on July 18, 2015, 05:26:52 PM
I liked when he had a "guest" who was peddling a Franklin Mint-esque commemorative plate for 2001 Cincinnati riots. Proceeds would go to some charity to help inner-city kids or something. It kept getting worse and worse until the description of the plate got out: It feature a black teenager throwing a flaming trash-can through a plate-glass window of a storefront and had the script "Get It Together Cincinnati" and I think black and white hands shaking. Callers were outraged and he also couldn't name a single charity the proceeds would go to because "he left the list at home" which infuriated them even more. Hilarious.

That was Brad Rivkin, most likely. He is Phil's go-to slimy, low-life, borderline criminal "businessman" who's always coming up with a new scheme to get rich quick. He's actually done this bit a few times, probably with different characters, I don't remember, where the guest can't remember the charity he's supposedly going to donate money to, or, alternatively, the percentage of the proceeds he intends to donate keeps going down as the interview proceeds.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 03, 2015, 07:15:48 PM
              That was Brad Rivkin, most likely. He is Phil's go-to slimy, low-life, borderline criminal "businessman" who's always coming up with a new scheme to get rich quick. He's actually done this bit a few times, probably with different characters, I don't remember, where the guest can't remember the charity he's supposedly going to donate money to, or, alternatively, the percentage of the proceeds he intends to donate keeps going down as the interview proceeds.

Brad Rifkin did the infamous 'blink if you're thirsty' commercial for mineral water featuring Terri Schiavo. I think the other guy you mean is Don Parsley, who was always coming on with a story that would change as the interview went on, though I could be wrong.

starrmtn001

Just published 9.2.15.

The World of Phil Hendrie: 9/2/15 Full Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT41Odph8ZQ

Caruthers612

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 04, 2015, 07:42:53 AM
Brad Rifkin did the infamous 'blink if you're thirsty' commercial for mineral water featuring Terri Schiavo. I think the other guy you mean is Don Parsley, who was always coming on with a story that would change as the interview went on, though I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, good old Don. He would always come on after a tornado had supposedly blown down his house or a flood carried his wife and two kids away, then not be able to remember the names of his kids or how many he had or how many were still alive, the whole time denying that he was on to ask for money, pretending to accept Phil's charitable efforts on his behalf over his own objections.

Caruthers612

The headline says it all. Hendrie is out of his mind and a real butt log and I've had enough of his crap. This leaves me without something funny to listen to. There are many podcasts that purport to be funny but ain't. Anyone know of one that actually is?

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 04, 2015, 07:33:01 PM
        The headline says it all. Hendrie is out of his mind and a real butt log and I've had enough of his crap. This leaves me without something funny to listen to. There are many podcasts that purport to be funny but ain't. Anyone know of one that actually is?

May i ask why, would you even be listening to Phil Hendrie?

Caruthers612

Quote from: username on September 06, 2015, 04:42:24 PM

May i ask why, would you even be listening to Phil Hendrie?

This be an interesting question. I hadn't listened to him in a few years and didn't even know he still had a show, till a thumbnail of him doing a recent bit popper up in my youtube search results. I watched and was favorably impressed. In this clip he appeared to have recovered his sens of humor, was doing his thing very well, and wasn't yelling and screaming. So I watched a few more of those and got sucked in. Well, guess what. :-0

I won't launch into a full description of what I think of Hendrie here, as I have washed my hands of him and am moving on, but, alas, genuinely funny content is hard to come by. I've tried some supposedly funny podcasts, but they all sucked like a Hoover.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 06, 2015, 05:59:12 PM
          This be an interesting question. I hadn't listened to him in a few years and didn't even know he still had a show, till a thumbnail of him doing a recent bit popper up in my youtube search results. I watched and was favorably impressed. In this clip he appeared to have recovered his sens of humor, was doing his thing very well, and wasn't yelling and screaming. So I watched a few more of those and got sucked in. Well, guess what. :-0

I won't launch into a full description of what I think of Hendrie here, as I have washed my hands of him and am moving on, but, alas, genuinely funny content is hard to come by. I've tried some supposedly funny podcasts, but they all sucked like a Hoover.

I always feel I have to defend Hendrie on here a bit because he is criminally under-appreciated, and even many of his fans turn on him in the end. OK, that's often his fault - and he does appear to be an odd and difficult man - but what he has managed to do in radio is something unique and puts into perspective the careers of shrewd mediocrities like Stern. I don't have to like him to listen to him. These days his show is mostly technically impressive and gets nowhere near the inspired stuff of his classic days, but the guy is getting on and radio eats up comedy material like nothing else. Where a comedian could tour an act for a year before turning it into a special, Hendrie burned up material day after day. No wonder he got a bit weird at times. Also, I don't think you can have the gifts that he possesses without it coming at a cost, and sometimes you listen and wonder where comedy genius ends and some sort of schizophrenia starts.

I still listen to the show, but not every day, and certainly he doesn't quite have the vocal command that he used to and favours certain voices over others. R.C Collins is nowhere near as high-pitched as he used to be, and he has recently re-introduced Lloyd again, who sounds nothing like the maniac of the glory days. I think he has always suffered a bit by being a highly intelligent man who didn't get a good education and ends up trying too hard to sound smart - a common problem for an auto-didact. He also pulls the emergency cord too often in his dealings with his fans when (for example) he could have handled the bootlegging problem with far more charm and tact.

I think the big frustration for him is that he has never really fitted in anywhere. He doesn't quite fit into radio, because he's too gifted and original, yet when you listen to him on stage he is not a natural stage performer and something gets lost. Likewise, his attempts to turn his stuff into a TV show don't work either. It's no wonder, then, that he has often come across as unreasonable and a bitter old dick, but it doesn't change the fact that he is one of the greatest comedy minds there has ever been.

Caruthers612

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 09, 2015, 07:07:31 AM
I always feel I have to defend Hendrie on here a bit because he is criminally under-appreciated, and even many of his fans turn on him in the end. OK, that's often his fault - and he does appear to be an odd and difficult man - but what he has managed to do in radio is something unique and puts into perspective the careers of shrewd mediocrities like Stern. I don't have to like him to listen to him. These days his show is mostly technically impressive and gets nowhere near the inspired stuff of his classic days, but the guy is getting on and radio eats up comedy material like nothing else. Where a comedian could tour an act for a year before turning it into a special, Hendrie burned up material day after day. No wonder he got a bit weird at times. Also, I don't think you can have the gifts that he possesses without it coming at a cost, and sometimes you listen and wonder where comedy genius ends and some sort of schizophrenia starts.

I still listen to the show, but not every day, and certainly he doesn't quite have the vocal command that he used to and favours certain voices over others. R.C Collins is nowhere near as high-pitched as he used to be, and he has recently re-introduced Lloyd again, who sounds nothing like the maniac of the glory days. I think he has always suffered a bit by being a highly intelligent man who didn't get a good education and ends up trying too hard to sound smart - a common problem for an auto-didact. He also pulls the emergency cord too often in his dealings with his fans when (for example) he could have handled the bootlegging problem with far more charm and tact.

I think the big frustration for him is that he has never really fitted in anywhere. He doesn't quite fit into radio, because he's too gifted and original, yet when you listen to him on stage he is not a natural stage performer and something gets lost. Likewise, his attempts to turn his stuff into a TV show don't work either. It's no wonder, then, that he has often come across as unreasonable and a bitter old dick, but it doesn't change the fact that he is one of the greatest comedy minds there has ever been.

That was one of the most thoughtful, insightful and eloquent assessments I've had the pleasure to read in a long time. Everything you say is spot on. Well done, lad. Let me buy you a tankard of ale and a tavern wench sometime.

Brody

The bit that "got" me and made me a fan was when a man called in who had been sexually molested by a Ferbie.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Brody on September 09, 2015, 09:23:57 AM
The bit that "got" me and made me a fan was when a man called in who had been sexually molested by a Ferbie.

I think that might have been Steve Bosell, don't remember.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 09, 2015, 09:28:13 AM
          I think that might have been Steve Bosell, don't remember.

That was Lloyd. It started with an actual news story that someone had found a malfunctioning Furbie saying swear words. So Lloyd comes on saying that he had got one for his daughter, it put its tongue in his ear, said 'fuck me' and made a lunge for his zipper.

It ends with Lloyd going nuts saying, 'it's repeatedly raping me'.

Anything with Lloyd is solid gold, especially when he fights his way off the hold button, because that's the kind of soldier he is!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 06, 2015, 05:59:12 PM

Great answer, just keep searching there are so many shows out there. I only ask because i also hear people like imus still around and i am baffled why and how hes been able to stay around as long as he has. I cant understand a word he says. Maybe the same can be said about the show i host. Anyways i hope you find what you are looking for.

Caruthers612

Quote from: username on September 09, 2015, 03:49:07 PM

Great answer, just keep searching there are so many shows out there. I only ask because i also hear people like imus still around and i am baffled why and how hes been able to stay around as long as he has. I cant understand a word he says. Maybe the same can be said about the show i host. Anyways i hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks, link your show and I'll check it out. Imust is still around?! In an oxygen tent? The guy's got to be 109.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 09, 2015, 03:54:21 PM
       Thanks, link your show and I'll check it out. Imust is still around?! In an oxygen tent? The guy's got to be 109.

Endofdaysradio.com hes at least 90

Caruthers612

Alert, all Hendrie fans. A couple of nights ago Phil did a classic broadcast that was pure delight and laughter, with Phil in an unusually good mood--none of his usual anger or screaming. He was in rare form, with an extended bit featuring Jay Santos getting into it with a neighbor who was a Tea Party member, and an appearing by Lloyd the Voice Siren Cop. Enjoy. ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/philhendrie/episode-463-the-new-phil-hendrie-show

MV/Liberace!

I've modified the poll at the top of this thread to include most of Phil's primary characters.  The poll has been reset to zero.  Please cast your vote again. 

SredniVashtar

Quote from: MV on November 28, 2015, 08:14:37 AM
I've modified the poll at the top of this thread to include most of Phil's primary characters.  The poll has been reset to zero.  Please cast your vote again.

Ahem! Mavis Leonard? She was the one who did "all you can eat negro", one of the all-time classic bits where she had a Catholic priest on to talk about the Eucharist: "do you eat up on the booty too?".

Oh, and Brad Rifkin. Who did a campaign for Snow Peak mineral water and used an ad campaign based on Terri Schiavo: "blink if you're thirsty".

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 28, 2015, 08:32:42 AM
Ahem! Mavis Leonard? She was the one who did "all you can eat negro", one of the all-time classic bits where she had a Catholic priest on to talk about the Eucharist: "do you eat up on the booty too?".

"All you can eat negro" is a classic I'll tell my grandchildren about every Christmas eve. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 28, 2015, 08:32:42 AM

Oh, and Brad Rifkin. Who did a campaign for Snow Peak mineral water and used an ad campaign based on Terri Schiavo: "blink if you're thirsty".

the rifkin and leonard bits were classics, but those characters weren't heard nearly as much as the others.

#BrotherBuffet

ItsOver

It's Ted for me.  Now I'll have his jingle running in my head the rest of the day. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on November 28, 2015, 09:17:00 AM
It's Ted for me.  Now I'll have his jingle running in my head the rest of the day.

i had to go with jay santos.  for me, there was more gut-laughing at that character than any other.

Art

I picked Raj Fahneen because I started listening to Phil around 2004 when Raj  & his kid were always railing against fat bastards who ate cheeseburgers, curly fries, and Big N Tastys.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Art Crow on November 28, 2015, 09:43:34 AM
I picked Raj Fahneen because I started listening to Phil around 2004 when Raj  & his kid were always railing against fat bastards who ate cheeseburgers, curly fries, and Big N Tastys.

"Do you super-size?".