• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Phil Hendrie

Started by Caruthers612, November 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM

Who is your favorite Hendrie guest of all time..

Art Bell
Steve Bosell
Bobbie Dooley
Chris Norton
Raj Fahneen
Austin Amarka
Bob Green
Bud Dickman
Clara Bingham
David G. Hall
Dean Wheeler
Doug Dannger
Dr. Jim Sadler
Father James McQuarter
Harvey Wireman
Herb Sewell
Jay Santos
Jeff Dowder
Lloyd Bonifide
Margaret Gray
Pastor William Rennick
R.C. Collins
Ted Bell
Vernon Dozier
General Johnson Jameson

tmock00

Quote from: Ben Shockley on January 12, 2013, 10:57:21 PM
If he has abandoned having real callers talk to his characters, then the show as I knew it is dead.

These days, we get Phil, Margaret, Bud and Robert in a loosely based round-table discussion of current events and topical news of the day, while those who "call in" to the show are a vast array of other characters - Ted, Bobbie Dooley, Vernon Dozier, Harvey, Steve Bosell, etc.

It's not what it used to be.

The General

Quote from: Ben Shockley on January 12, 2013, 10:57:21 PM
Well, doesn't this negate what Phil's show was really about?
ENTIRELY

Quote from: tmock00 on January 12, 2013, 11:15:05 PM
These days, we get Phil, Margaret, Bud and Robert in a loosely based round-table discussion of current events and topical news of the day, while those who "call in" to the show are a vast array of other characters - Ted, Bobbie Dooley, Vernon Dozier, Harvey, Steve Bosell, etc.

It's a guy in a room with a mic talking to himself. 
Not funny anymore.  He used to be so good.  WTF?

Eddie Coyle

Phil Hendrie makes Noory look Stakhanovite by comparison. Any excuse not to be on the air and Phil will take it. This latest shirking of duties would be a fireable offense...but TRN won't give him that mercy.
        In 2007, I could pick up Hendrie's show on 7 different stations on my radio at night...it's down to 1. A station located near Buffalo that appears to be low-rated.

tmock00

Quote from: The General on January 12, 2013, 11:17:30 PM
It's a guy in a room with a mic talking to himself. 

Yep - that's exactly what it is, and it's as boring as you can imagine it would be. 

He does say that Bobbie will launch a podcast soon where the main focus will be interviewing celebrities. He recently finished up the first one - it's Bobbie interviewing Patricia Arquette, but so far no word on an air date. He says other interviews will include Judd Apatow, Joel McHale and a handful of others.

I really miss the old days.

Ben Shockley

folks-- imagine Phil phone-raping L.A.-area busybodies in afternoon drive time.  KFI put him in that slot in about 1999/2000.

You HAD TO HEAR HIM making fools out of people who were legitimately calling in and thought his characters were real !!!

Ben Shockley

..oh, wait a minute: am *I* the mark ??

The General

Quote from: Ben Shockley on January 12, 2013, 11:46:18 PM
..oh, wait a minute: am *I* the mark ??
Nice.  I guess that's what it's come to.

Juan

TRN must really be in the tank.  Savage gone, Laura Ingraham gone, and now this.

He's really not even doing characters anymore. He does the voices of the two guys that work in the studio with him, Bud and Leon? I forget. And he has the one woman character in almost every night, can't remember her name either.
He comes on at 2am here, after Clyde Lewis so I hear him if I can't sleep. But I'm really fed up with him. Too much stupid anger and paper rattling, it's just dumb.
You know he lost about a hundred pounds and stopped being funny, hhhmmm.

tmock00

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on January 13, 2013, 09:42:59 AM
He's really not even doing characters anymore. He does the voices of the two guys that work in the studio with him, Bud and Leon? I forget. And he has the one woman character in almost every night, can't remember her name either.

Bud, Robert Leonard and Margaret.

I agree - Phil seems to have a whole lot of anger these days. 

highdesert

I pretty much agree with everyone in here. Phil has completely lost what made him good. And it depresses me.

I only turned Phil on to a few people, my Dad and an Uncle. They both got it, and at times would just die laughing. I remember I was over at a party at my Uncle's house, and it was around 10pm EST (back when he was live at that time on the East Coast), and I explained it to them briefly what they would hear, and people were just going nuts laughing. It was such an incredibly genius concept, and I wish Phil had kept doing it...

He should've never quit his Premier show, and now that he's burned all his bridges over there, that has come and gone. Thank god for all the hours and hours of classic material that's available.

I still listen to him almost every night on KXL, Portland. He comes on after Clyde Lewis.
But it's obvious that he is caught in a downward spiral. I can understand it really, because radio talent are not valued anymore.
Lets hope their day comes back...
It might not be about money though. That's the trend I am seeing.
Phil just doesn't enjoy himself anymore.

BigDave

Phil is on 1160 WCFO in Atlanta. Since it broadcasts at about 100 watts,I have had to listen to it online. Phil isn't funny anymore and He's too liberal for My tastes.

I am not sure if he is liberal, or what. He seems to take a one sided stance that doesn't encompass the big picture.
When I used to listen to Art Bell, he seemed over to the right for my California taste. But he was/is intelligient so he always made me think.
To me that is the only value to listening to anything.

BigDave

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on February 20, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
I am not sure if he is liberal, or what. He seems to take a one sided stance that doesn't encompass the big picture.
When I used to listen to Art Bell, he seemed over to the right for my California taste. But he was/is intelligient so he always made me think.
To me that is the only value to listening to anything.

He was really shilling for Obama in the last election and voted for Him in 2012 and 2008.

Foodlion

I was thinking of subscribing just to get access to the archives. I've heard he's gone downhill, but he's more than capable of making a return.

Well for a shill, the pay seems to be low. Maybe that is why he is bitter. Come to think of it, my friends that beat me up for not smoking the hopium have gone quite.
I wish Phil, and the rest of this country could just get over their freakin' political paradigms.

Whoa, I re-subbed my BSP to snatch some old clips and WTF has happened?
This sucks.
Edited to add: Please don't sue me Phil

ItsOver

Quote from: tmock00 on January 13, 2013, 11:27:51 PM

Bud, Robert Leonard and Margaret.

I agree - Phil seems to have a whole lot of anger these days.

No more Ted of Beverly Hills?  Drat... now I'll have that jingle running through my head for the rest of the night. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on February 22, 2013, 09:59:06 PM
Whoa, I re-subbed my BSP to snatch some old clips and WTF has happened?
This sucks.

what do you mean?

Caruthers612

Quote from: tmock00 on January 12, 2013, 11:15:05 PM

No, but it is most welcome. I just discovered it a couple of days ago, after having not listened to Phil since his Colonel Kurtz-like descent into madness some years back. Listening to him scream at me through the radio was not my cup of tea, but he's either discovered lithium or barely legal Thai ass, because he's now calm and reasonably creative again. In a world sorely bereft of listenable talk radio, I am enjoying it.

Sichuan

Phil has "Art Bell" filling in for him today.

I only heard about 20 minutes of it and it was great. I am reluctant to re-sub just for this one episode but I will if he keeps it up.

The General

really bummed that I missed that.  Wish I could hear it without signing up for some damn membership.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Sichuan on March 29, 2013, 11:08:40 PM
Phil has "Art Bell" filling in for him today.

Damn wish I knew about that.  I would have loved to hear it.

kf5iwe

Dr. Pink investigating the phenomenea of sinkholes here in Louisiana, With "ART" Admonishing the DR that if he says sucked, the next word should not be off, General Johnson Jameson explaining invisible kids who are also mute, And an investigator from the UK looking into a terrorist plot by the Easter Bunny. Several adds for surviving the coming apocalyaspe with help from your friends at Peenman . How to make crystal meth for the zombie bikers, how to talk your way out of being traded in the white slavery field by said bikers. and what to do when all of your efforts fail with the bikers.

Harmness

Damn, I wish I'd heard that.

Quote from: MV on February 23, 2013, 02:45:46 AM

what do you mean?

It had been a while since I'd listened to Phil. I was a bit shocked at the change, with what's her name, Margaret? in the studio always now.

I haven't investigated this at all, but I got an email regarding my BSP the other day and the way the letter was wrote, it sounded as though Phil isn't "live" on the air anymore? Did he quit? I honestly haven't had the time to get up to date on Phil's happenings lately, but will spend some time this weekend if able and report back.

timpate

Quote from: MV on January 12, 2013, 09:10:35 PM
a buddy of mine just told me phil hendrie no longer takes real calls.  they're all staged so he doesn't have to pay a phone screener.  w...t...f.  anyone know if this is true?

edit:  i wouldn't know because i haven't listened in such a long time.
Told you he stopped like a year ago. Just read this on his facebook page and on his site. LOS ANGELES, May 8, 2013 â€" Phil Hendrie has elected not to pursue any further association with Talk Radio Network.  As he delves deeper into his successful digital platform and ongoing television and film work, Hendrie remains open to terrestrial radio opportunities, but only those with strong sales, marketing and programming support.

Eddie Coyle

You mean my prediction since September 2007 has finally come true!

Those girls in Cleveland broke free of their chains easier than Phil did.