• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

I'm excited to listen tonight. I've been following the NFL a bit lately. Lot of great stories this year. The mediocre Seahawks, The undefeated Panthers and the loltastic plight of Tony Romo.

eddie dean

Quote from: VoteQuimby on November 28, 2015, 06:51:49 PM
I'm excited to listen tonight. I've been following the NFL a bit lately. Lot of great stories this year. The mediocre Seahawks, The undefeated Panthers and the loltastic plight of Tony Romo.

Thanks VQ. So much to talk about, so little time.

Lilith

Quote from: eddie dean on November 28, 2015, 05:24:56 PM
Me too. Nice picks on thursday Brig! 3-0

Thank You for the fun show eddie-dean!  I will probably get all the rest of my picks wrong for the week lol's.

Eddie Dean called Manziel a "douchenozzle"

we should have to pay to hear greatness like that

Russell, last name, Wilson... Back in the wild card hunt. Go Hawks!

AvDaBr

To quote Warner Wolf:  If you picked the Patriots this week- YOU LOST!

eddie dean

Quote from: AvDaBr on November 29, 2015, 11:40:26 PM
To quote Warner Wolf:  If you picked the Patriots this week- YOU LOST!

Haha! I will gladly give up  my point in the pool for that game. What a huge win for the Broncos!  HUGE!

I think we just witnessed Peyton loosing his starting  QB job in Denver.

Quote from: eddie dean on November 30, 2015, 12:14:23 AM
... I think we just witnessed Peyton loosing his starting  QB job in Denver.

I think so too.  He did a good job bridging the gap between Tebow and Osweiler

Yet, another game where NFL officiating was awful. The SUPER LATE penalty of Gronk for offensive pass interference was pathetic. I am not a fan of either team, but that was a horrid call.

AppealPlay

I'd just like to say that my awful Redskins are tied with the Giants for first place in the NFC East, the worst division in the NFL.  Should I be happy or depressed?  Maybe a touch of both. :D

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 30, 2015, 12:31:43 AM
Yet, another game where NFL officiating was awful. The SUPER LATE penalty of Gronk for offensive pass interference was pathetic. I am not a fan of either team, but that was a horrid call.

Listening to some of the game on the radio, it would appear the 49ers got jobbed as well.

It used to be rare and a big deal when the officials blew a call late in the game that effectively decided it.  Now - even with replay - it seems like it's every third game.  Maybe it's just that replay and close-ups weren't what they are now, and people just accepted the calls.  Maybe.

A lot of it may be so many rules that have been added over the years, and existing rules that have been tweaked with additional details - what is and isn't a catch, what is and isn't pass interference (this changes with every trip downfield), what is and isn't unnecessary roughness (this depends on which position, and sometimes which player, is being 'roughed', the specific details of how they were 'roughed', where on the field they were 'roughed'), certain rules haphazardly applied such as 'tuck' rules, 'in the grasp' rules, whether a receiver made a 'football move'.  These ass-clowns can't even spot the ball correctly half the time, although that's nothing new (just put it down anywhere, then oh so very carefully measure it if it's close to the first down marker).   One of the Thanksgiving games the punter got plowed, and no call - not a single ref is watching that, they have too many stupid things to look for.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 30, 2015, 12:54:33 AM
Listening to some of the game on the radio, it would appear the 49ers got jobbed as well.

It used to be rare and a big deal when the officials blew a call late in the game that effectively decided it.  Now - even with replay - it seems like it's every third game.  Maybe it's just that replay and close-ups weren't what they are now, and people just accepted the calls.  Maybe.

A lot of it may be so many rules that have been added over the years, and existing rules that have been tweaked with additional details - what is and isn't a catch, what is and isn't pass interference (this changes with every trip downfield), what is and isn't unnecessary roughness (this depends on which position, and sometimes which player, is being 'roughed', the specific details of how they were 'roughed', where on the field they were 'roughed'), certain rules haphazardly applied such as 'tuck' rules, 'in the grasp' rules, whether a receiver made a 'football move'.  These ass-clowns can't even spot the ball correctly half the time, although that's nothing new (just put it down anywhere, then oh so very carefully measure it if it's close to the first down marker).   One of the Thanksgiving games the punter got plowed, and no call - not a single ref is watching that, they have too many stupid things to look for.

The crazy thing about the Gronk call was the length of time that had passed when the Ref through the flag. The Lions/ Cowboy game last year was really a horrid call. The Seattle/Lions game this year was out and out robbery by the Refs.

It has got to the point it is hard to be a NFL fan.

zeebo

The calls just seem so arbitrary nowadays.  It's almost like the attempt to look at things with fine-grained detail has made things worse.  Seems like in the old days it was just an assumed no-call unless something obvious happened.

TigerLily

Wow! That Denver / New England game was like the best movie that no one could believe was true.

The snow and ice. The injuries, including that loveable hunk, Gronk. The kid quarterback (played by Robert Pattinson) filling in for the valiant but brutally injured and downtrodden Hero (payed by Matthew McConaughey) against the Undefeated and Immortal Tom Brady (played by Tom Brady) and against all odds Wins in Overtime

What a game! Someone call Spielberg

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2015, 01:57:23 AM
Wow! That Denver / New England game was like the best movie that no one could believe was true. ...

It was a great game.  Luckily I am a fan of neither team so I could just root for drama, which I got.   ;)

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on November 30, 2015, 02:00:07 AM
It was a great game.  Luckily I am a fan of neither team so I could just root for drama, which I got.   ;)
You can tell I'm pretty much into the drama, too

Quote from: zeebo on November 30, 2015, 02:00:07 AM

I do to, but when the Zebras decide the out come, its not really fun to watch. At least not for me.

zeebo

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 30, 2015, 02:20:48 AM
I do to, but when the Zebras decide the out come, its not really fun to watch. At least not for me.

Yeah the cliche answer is that it all evens out but what really matters is *when* the bad calls come, and that was at a particularly bad time. 

Sometimes even rather small bad calls like 5 yd. holding or whatever can have huge consequence e.g. if it throws you out of field goal range. 

Quote from: zeebo on November 30, 2015, 02:32:06 AM
Yeah the cliche answer is that it all evens out but what really matters is *when* the bad calls come, and that was at a particularly bad time. 

Sometimes even rather small bad calls like 5 yd. holding or whatever can have huge consequence e.g. if it throws you out of field goal range.

The Seattle/Detroit game this year proves otherwise. The ball was clearly batted out of the endzone, the ball show have been spotted right at the goal line with a minute left. Instead the ball was given to Seattle and they took a knee. Games like that make me not want to watch the NFL.

cweb

The Patriots lost, and that's all that matters.

Feels good, mang.

Ms. C

When this podcast first began - you guys were speaking of Tim Teebow ... I mentioned in chat that Tim was  not into having sex until he got married ... I got a few laughs and raised eyebrows ...  real disbelief in chat that night -- well look what I found ...

NFL player Tim Tebow and former Miss Universe Olivia Culpo have apparently split â€" and it's reportedly due to his virginity vow.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tim-tebow-olivia-culpo-split-because-of-his-virginity-vow-report-w158600

albrecht

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2015, 01:57:23 AM
Wow! That Denver / New England game was like the best movie that no one could believe was true.

The snow and ice. The injuries, including that loveable hunk, Gronk. The kid quarterback (played by Robert Pattinson) filling in for the valiant but brutally injured and downtrodden Hero (payed by Matthew McConaughey) against the Undefeated and Immortal Tom Brady (played by Tom Brady) and against all odds Wins in Overtime

What a game! Someone call Spielberg
"NFL lawyer Gregg H. Levy made the argument that as "long as the NFL clubs are members of a unit; if they compete as a unit in the entertainment marketplace ... they should be deemed a single entity" and not subject to antitrust law."

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on November 30, 2015, 05:35:30 PM
"NFL lawyer Gregg H. Levy made the argument that as "long as the NFL clubs are members of a unit; if they compete as a unit in the entertainment marketplace ... they should be deemed a single entity" and not subject to antitrust law."
and thusly , like pro wrasslin (WWE) , the fix is in.

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on November 30, 2015, 07:41:35 AM
The Patriots lost, and that's all that matters.

I was annoyed Brady was gracious to the kid qb who'd just beat him.  Made it harder to hate the guy, and I need my Brady hate, it helps me get through the day.

Well, I'm watching the Shit Bowlâ,,¢ on the local NBC channel.

The Finger doesn't appear to be coming in.