• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

Quote from: eddie dean on September 14, 2015, 09:37:06 PM
... I can't tell if the 49ers D is halfway decent or if the Vikings offense is horrible. one thing's for sure Chris Berman's play by play calling is awkward as hell.
Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 14, 2015, 09:50:44 PM
He fielded the first punt - it was shorter than it looked, he dove for it and fumbled it, recovered by Minnesota
Quote from: eddie dean on September 14, 2015, 09:56:09 PM
... The special teams plays have been quite eventful so far.

Pretty sloppy, typical early season game

akwilly

Quote from: eddie dean on September 13, 2015, 12:38:41 AM
That sucks. Curtis said he will look into it. He didn't see a setting which forbids ppl from joining late.  Did you use the correct password? bellgab
I'm not sure what else to tell you. If it doesn't let you join, it's probably an ESPN rule. Will it let you join any other pools, or is the issue exclusive to ours?
was exclusive to you'rs

akwilly

Holy crap, I can't take any more of Dilfer and his love affair with Kapernick. Dilfer is great in the studio but damn he needs to shut the fuck up every now and then

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 14, 2015, 09:50:44 PM
He fielded the first punt - it was shorter than it looked, he dove for it and fumbled it, recovered by Minnesota

Chalk it up to nerves and the fact that he has come from a low skilled game in Rugby. If he was an Aussie Rules footballer he would not have misjudged nor dropped the ball. Fucking New South Welshmen (Sydney). That would not have happened to a Victorian (Melbourne).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_regional_rivalries

pate

If my family name (patrynym?) was DILFER, and my given name was Trent (rhymes with BENT)...

Erm...  BENT DILFER?

Not that there's anything WRONG with that, but you can legally change your name.

Jeesh...

Quote from: jazmunda on September 15, 2015, 06:37:57 AM
Chalk it up to nerves and the fact that he has come from a low skilled game in Rugby. If he was an Aussie Rules footballer he would not have misjudged nor dropped the ball. Fucking New South Welshmen (Sydney). That would not have happened to a Victorian (Melbourne).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_regional_rivalries

I chalk it up to him being new to the game and not fielding enough punts to instinctively know what to do in every situation through repetition.  These other guys have been playing since PeeWee Football. 

He had a nice run, a nice catch, and looks good, I really think he will be a very good player.

The 49ers exceeded everyone's expectations and we're all feeling a bit relieved - I know I am.  Next week at Pittsburgh will be a tougher test

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 15, 2015, 07:10:00 AM
I chalk it up to him being new to the game and not fielding enough punts to instinctively know what to do in every situation through repetition.  These other guys have been playing since PeeWee Football. 

He had a nice run, a nice catch, and looks good, I really think he will be a very good player.

The 49ers exceeded everyone's expectations and we're all feeling a bit relieved - I know I am.  Next week at Pittsburgh will be a tougher test

Perhaps the flight of the ball and hang time of an American football is different to a rugby or Aussie Rules Football but catching the ball in the Australian codes is basic stuff that athletes like Hayne should do with their eyes closed.

I believe an American football is a lot lighter. That might account for the ball dropping shorter than expected.

It could be that he's not used to the pussy padding you guys wear.

Hayne's other plays were very impressive. With Reggie Bush getting injured I expected him to get more game time. 

Despite not picking them to win I'm glad they won and I thought they looked great in black.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 15, 2015, 07:29:49 AM
Perhaps the flight of the ball and hang time of an American football is different to a rugby or Aussie Rules Football but catching the ball in the Australian codes is basic stuff that athletes like Hayne should do with their eyes closed.

I believe an American football is a lot lighter. That might account for the ball dropping shorter than expected...

This is strictly about the specific rules of the game.  On a punt, the punting team cannot recover the ball - unless someone on the receiving team touches it first.  So if a punt is fumbled, if the ball bounces and touches someone on the receiving team, anything like that - only then can the punting team recover it.

If there is any question about the punt being fielded cleanly, the receiving team backs away from it and lets it roll dead.  No one should be diving to get it, at that point just let it go  (it didn't look like he misjudged it, it seemed to sort of die and just be shorter than everyone out there expected)

Kickoffs are different, the ball merely has to go 10 yards before the kicking team is allowed to recover it, so the receiving team better get on it no matter what

pate

Quote from: jazmunda on September 15, 2015, 07:29:49 AM
... American ... ball dropping shorter than expected...

... he's not used to the pussy padding ...

I'm glad they won and I thought they looked great in black.

With some selective (I only read the word "selective" in the Kiwi accent) editing, I must agree.

AFL is something else, I must say.  No Shoulder Pads etc...

Not that there is anything wrong with a man wearing a pad.  We are in the 21st century after all.

jazmunda

Well he is from New South Wales and he plays rugby so he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. If you get my drift. Having said that he's also an Aussie and we don't pussy out and leave the ball just because of some silly rules. Do you think Steve Irwin was worried about that stingrays stinger? Fucking oath he wasn't. Crikey. *

* Steve Irwin is from Queensland and they're 10 times dumber that the New South Welshmen. Our North is your South.

jazmunda

Quote from: pate on September 15, 2015, 08:52:06 AM
With some selective (I only read the word "selective" in the Kiwi accent) editing, I must agree.

AFL is something else, I must say.  No Shoulder Pads etc...

Not that there is anything wrong with a man wearing a pad.  We are in the 21st century after all.

Yes Aussie Rules is a real man's sport.

http://youtu.be/uPIQ7vLJYIA

pate

Quote from: jazmunda on September 15, 2015, 09:00:31 AM
Yes Aussie Rules is a real man's sport.

http://youtu.be/uPIQ7vLJYIA

I recall seeing these Sheilas in the chow hall back in the 'stan days...

At first I thought they were Special Forcers or somesuch as the rest of the blokes had to wear the duty uniforms, these guys looked like Richard Simmons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-KFOVP5PUU

Funny thing was I kept asking the "Sheilas" this:

"Hey Gene (Simmons) how's it hanging?"

Didn't get the kinda fight I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvWc0YdPFlg

Dammit.

chefist

The fundamental difference between American football and rugby/ARF is the block and tackle dimension of the game.  American football has two players running as fast as they possibly can, with all the strength and speed they can bring to bear on either tackling the person with the ball or blocking another person in the attempt to keep them from tackling the person with ball.  It really is blunt force trauma, as if you were in a car accident.  That is why there is so much protective gear, and that still does not protect from head and brain injuries.  Rugby/ARF are very physical sports and people get injured all the time. However, it is this aspect of American football that makes it different than the others. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: chefist on September 15, 2015, 09:39:50 AM
blunt force trauma... head and brain injuries.

The most fitting phrases now that pate has infected this thread. "Manga janga foo" then insert incongruous Youtube video.

chefist

I like the new 33 yard extra point kick rule.  The kicker for the Texans already missed one.  I think this rule change will impact some important games in the future!

eddie dean

I was feeling pretty damn good about  my pool picks until going 0 for 2 on Mon night.
Crazy. You never know what's going to happen. That's why I love this game!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: eddie dean on September 15, 2015, 10:40:58 AM
I was feeling pretty damn good about  my pool picks until going 0 for 2 on Mon night.
Crazy. You never know what's going to happen. That's why I love this game!

I lost 4 of my last 5. So much for the "upstart" Vikings. Coughlin and Eli can join Chip Kelly in blasting their heads off with a shotgun.

eddie dean

Quote from: chefist on September 15, 2015, 10:39:54 AM
I like the new 33 yard extra point kick rule.  The kicker for the Texans already missed one.  I think this rule change will impact some important games in the future!

Last season only a handfull of missed extra points all season. This year, in week 1, there were 4 missed extra pts.

chefist

Quote from: eddie dean on September 15, 2015, 10:43:41 AM
Last season only a handfull of missed extra points all season. This year, in week 1, there were 4 missed extra pts.

It only makes sense...the NFL has to be more challenging than college ball...like the 2 feet in bounds rule for the NFL, while college is only 1...

It will also emphasize the importance of accuracy and precision in the kicking game, not just distance...which should be interesting...

Eddie Coyle

I've seen this movie in '99 in his last year with the Pats. Pete Carroll has either lost his team or is a cunt hair away from it. Wouldn't be shocked by a 8-8 finish and no playoffs. That team has too many shitbags and Marshawn Lynch is a cancer beyond belief.

Rix Gins

Quote from: chefist on September 15, 2015, 10:39:54 AM
I like the new 33 yard extra point kick rule.   

As do I.  But what I don't like are the camera lenses used to cover said kicks.  They make the goal post look like it's been placed in the next city over.  Yeah...I exaggerate, but still it bugs me a bit.

chefist

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 15, 2015, 02:35:17 PM
As do I.  But what I don't like are the camera lenses used to cover said kicks.  They make the goal post look like it's been placed in the next city over.  Yeah...I exaggerate, but still it bugs me a bit.

Lol I noticed that! It seems so far away now!

Mastodonkey

In reference to those monday night games.. ESPN has the worst commentators/announcers in just about everything aside from their MLB coverage. Tirico is tolerable but he's no Al Michaels. Gruden just grates on me like no other. Berman I like but I just can't stand hearing for a 4 hour football game. Dilfer is a cancerous douche.

I hope Cal absolutely kicks the shit out of Texas Saturday, as payback for the stolen 2005 Rose Bowl appearance.  Too bad Mack Brown got fired and won't be there to absorb the loss. 

One of the more corrupt episodes in recent college football, quite an achievement.

eddie dean

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 15, 2015, 02:05:57 PM
    I've seen this movie in '99 in his last year with the Pats. Pete Carroll has either lost his team or is a cunt hair away from it. Wouldn't be shocked by a 8-8 finish and no playoffs. That team has too many shitbags and Marshawn Lynch is a cancer beyond belief.

The media chatter and second guessing seems to have gotten to Carroll afterall, he'd never admit it, nor should he. I do find it hilarious that on 4th & 1 in OT @Rams, Carroll called the play he should have called 8 months ago in the SB: A  run up the middle with Lynch. I bet next time that situation comes up, Wilson keeps it and runs for the first down/TD. He has had great success in the past doing just that.

Do kickers have  brains? that on-side kick to start OT on Sunday was never called by the coach. the kicker shit the bed on that one, unless Carroll was telling a fib in his presser after the game.
I gotta say Eddie, the  Rams upset thrilled me beyond belief,  even more so because I picked the rams as my upset special of the week. I see you and P*B picked the upset as well. Nice!

Quote from: eddie dean on September 16, 2015, 09:09:54 AM
... I gotta say Eddie, the  Rams upset thrilled me beyond belief,  even more so because I picked the rams as my upset special of the week. I see you and P*B picked the upset as well. Nice!

That was my 2nd account, the one where I pick who I want to see win.  I think that one is going against Seattle every week, unless they play Dallas

That entry and the Podcast Coinflip both went 9-7.

Congrats to Kimmi and Ladyfish for winning Week 1... 

Quote from: eddie dean on September 15, 2015, 10:40:58 AM
I was feeling pretty damn good about  my pool picks until going 0 for 2 on Mon night...

Same here, I was thinking 11-3 was pretty good for opening week, until the Monday games - ugh!

Eddie Coyle

Pete Carroll really has not changed much since his Jets/Pats days in terms of his teams lacking discipline and when things go bad, there's no respect for him from his players. The players don't fear him, he's probably the most lax head coach in the NFL. His press conferences feature him double talking, lying and evading. Sound clips of his 1997 press conferences are still played on Boston radio, because his "we're pumped and jacked" rah rah bullshit gets old real fast.