• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

Juan

I thought Del Rio was a reasonably good coach.  At least his defenses were solid.  He was handicapped by two incompetent General Managers, Shack Harris and Gene Smith.  Of all the players drafted between 2003 and 2012,  four remain on the team - a tight end, backup defensive lineman, a punter and a kicker.  Why would anyone draft a punter or kicker?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Juan on August 14, 2015, 02:22:52 PM
I thought Del Rio was a reasonably good coach.  At least his defenses were solid.  He was handicapped by two incompetent General Managers, Shack Harris and Gene Smith.  Of all the players drafted between 2003 and 2012,  four remain on the team - a tight end, backup defensive lineman, a punter and a kicker.  Why would anyone draft a punter or kicker?

I'm jaundiced by watching Belichick hand him his lunch, Del Rio seemed to have that Rex Ryan disease of being a good defensive mind, but on offense, not even close. Too much of that rah rah bullshit as well. Which may work in college.

eddie dean

Quote from: Juan on August 14, 2015, 02:01:20 PM
The stands appear half full because the NFL schedules all the games at 1 Eastern when the temperature is 95 degrees and the humidity is 80%.  The seats you see on TV are club seats and those people have access to a club under the stands where they can buy mixed drinks and watch the game on TV.   Ponte Vedra Beach rich socialites, not real football fans.

That's funny. So the socialites pay 100 bucks to watch the game on tv at the stadium. Might as well stay home to watch it on tv. in comfort! for free.

You don't have to tell me about the heat. The first 18 years the Cardinals were in AZ, they played at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe AZ. Az State University's field. An open air college stadium. It was brutal, uncomfortable and absurd to expect NFL fans to pay good money to sit on hot concrete seats for 3.5 hours watching a shitty football team play in 105+ degree heat. No wonder the Cards games were poorly attended.

Let's just say, there weren't many home games that were televised until the new retractable roof dome stadium was built in 2006.

Juan

The Steelers are in town tonight.  Rothlesburger had an 8:20 AM tee time at the TPC.  I guess he's not planning to play much tonight.

eddie dean

I like Del Rio. He did a good job as DC in Denver. His defenses were ranked in the top 5 in 2012-2014.
He did have a tendency to loose focus and let a game get away from him.
I think he will do well in Oak as HC. It will be interesting to see Oak get back to a strong defensive minded approach again.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders get 4 to 6 wins this season. Not great, but it's a start.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: chefist on August 14, 2015, 08:40:51 AM
I hear ya...like Green Bay...I grew up thinking the local pro teams had the same community attachment as a high school or college team...we were the only city in the US that had the same mascot for both baseball and football...I was so innocent...when the Big Red left, I stopped watching the NFL for several years...

It would be pretty hard to duplicate the gig Green Bay has going.

Extremely small city 105,000 metro 305,000
Founding NFL team
Small state with not much to do in winter months
Vince
Winning records

And most important, we hate the Bears and Vikings... Those sumofbitches fans show up in Green Bay and don't know the first thing about putting on a proper tail gate party  They wander around the parking lot, in drunken stoopers looking for nacho cheese and Budweiser venders

akwilly

I don't get why teams keep building new stadiums when football is so much better viewed on tv then at the stadium. Also I love how this year some of the London games will come on TV at 5:30AM up here.

3OctaveFart

Del Rio's playoff teams in Jacksonville were hard-nosed teams that both got creamed in New England. Del Rio can coach up a defense.

heater

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 14, 2015, 05:11:54 PM
And most important, we hate the Bears and Vikings... Those sumofbitches fans show up in Green Bay and don't know the first thing about putting on a proper tail gate party  They wander around the parking lot, in drunken stoopers looking for nacho cheese and Budweiser venders

WhiteCrow, you are on a roll.  Keep it up!

I agree about Del Rio being a great defensive coach.  He did his best work when he was one piece of a bigger coaching team rather than trying to run the whole thing.

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 14, 2015, 05:11:54 PM
It would be pretty hard to duplicate the gig Green Bay has going.

Extremely small city 105,000 metro 305,000
Founding NFL team
Small state with not much to do in winter months...

Early on the NFL was comprised of teams in places like Akron, Muncie, Decatur, Canton, Columbus, Toledo, etc.  I think a couple moved on to new cities, changed the name and the franchise is still in the league - others folded, pro football not being the huge deal it is now.  Green Bay was alone among small communities able to hold on to their team

I despise franchise moves too, people losing their teams - certainly from about the mid-1950s on.  It should be noted the St Louis/Arizona Cardinals were originally the Chicago Cardinals

Eddie Coyle

Michael Sam has quit football.

The future book, film, TV series and Oprah special will not be hindered by the facts of his pro career.

jazmunda

I have joined the picks contest. Anyone who loses to me is a bum.

I give this show my blessing.

rca

Quote from: jazmunda on August 16, 2015, 11:06:32 AM
Any thoughts on this Aussie?

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/8/15/9160581/jarryd-hayne-rugby-nrl-nfl-49ers-run

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/632717193424207872

He is a glimmer of hope in what is the black hole of the 49ers this year. I'm actually looking forward to what he can do during the regular season.

I'm just happy I can look forward to something this upcoming Niners season

eddie dean

Quote from: jazmunda on August 16, 2015, 09:13:38 AM
I have joined the picks contest. Anyone who loses to me is a bum.

I give this show my blessing.

oh great! you just doomed the show.

Thanks

jazmunda

Quote from: rca on August 16, 2015, 01:14:27 PM
He is a glimmer of hope in what is the black hole of the 49ers this year. I'm actually looking forward to what he can do during the regular season.

I'm just happy I can look forward to something this upcoming Niners season

I've been a 49ers fan since 1989. My folks took me and my brother and sister to the US. We were in San Fran and we went to this Sports goods store at Fisherman's Wharf. My brother got an LA Raiders jacket and I got a 49ers jacket. I wore it all the time. I was actually in San Fran when they won the super bowl that year. It was like new years eve all over again downtown. My brother was pissed that he had chosen the wrong team.

My aunt and uncle went to the US a few years later and bought me a 49ers helmet for my birthday. I can't believe they lugged that back to Australia. It's still in my old room at my parents home.

rca

Quote from: jazmunda on August 16, 2015, 01:35:54 PM
I've been a 49ers fan since 1989. My folks took me and my brother and sister to the US. We were in San Fran and we went to this Sports goods store at Fisherman's Wharf. My brother got an LA Raiders jacket and I got a 49ers jacket. I wore it all the time. I was actually in San Fran when they won the super bowl that year. It was like new years eve all over again downtown. My brother was pissed that he had chosen the wrong team.

My aunt and uncle went to the US a few years later and bought me a 49ers helmet for my birthday. I can't believe they lugged that back to Australia. It's still in my old room at my parents home.

That's a great story! The only superbowl You picked the right jacket. I remember the Niners winning was in 1994. I was too young to remember the others.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on August 16, 2015, 11:06:32 AM
Any thoughts on this Aussie?

Possibly Jaz will be the the only that 'gets' the following:

My NFL Fantasy football teams' name is "All Blacks"

Eddie Coyle

I loathe ESPN and NFL Network. A "top story" today is how RG 3 and 13, claims he's the best QB in the NFL. Oh, another mediocrity with a worthless, delusional boast. Roughly 1600 assholes in the NFL think they're "the best".

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 17, 2015, 02:54:57 PM
  I loathe ESPN and NFL Network. A "top story" today is how RG 3 and 13, claims he's the best QB in the NFL. Oh, another mediocrity with a worthless, delusional boast. Roughly 1600 assholes in the NFL think they're "the best".

He was a great college QB, just like Tebow.  Just like a lot of guys.  It's a different game, different rules, different schemes/formations/play calling, different atmosphere, different officiating - and a different level of competition, which makes the very athletic stand out more.  Coaching 20 year olds is different from coaching older guys.  The difference in talent level between teams is much greater, different teams and conferences play a much wider variety of styles. 

It's not apples to apples, a good college player isn't going to automatically be a good player in the pros, and a lot of times a player may be much better suited for the pro game.  A player can't get away with just being a great athlete in the pros the way they can in college, specific talents are required for specific positions (see: 'Tweener' in the NBA), etc, etc

When does this podcast start - we are well into training camp and even have the first preseason behind us - surely there are things to talk about

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 17, 2015, 03:03:58 PM
He was a great college QB, just like Tebow.  Just like a lot of guys.  It's a different game, different rules, different schemes, different atmosphere - and a different level of competition, which makes the very athletic stand out more.  Coaching 20 year olds is different from coaching older guys. 

Can't get away with just being a great athlete in the pros the way they can in college, specific talents are required for specific positions (see: 'Tweener' in the NBA)

I think JAMARCUS(intentional sic) Winston will be another pro dud, some of the ducks he threw the other night-across the middle no less, were Tebow-ian. Throwing off his back leg, floating the ball over his fullback, yet coming up short to his flankers.

PrairieGhost

Quote from: eddie dean on August 13, 2015, 06:11:01 PM
heh

One of the dumbest logos ever!

Until Drew Bledsoe came along in the late 90's, every team who played the Patriots could count on an easy win. Then Brady came along.
Now, they are classfied as a 'dynasty'. The thought which becomes more & more loathsome each day.

Reported! Best logo ever!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 17, 2015, 03:13:20 PM
     I think JAMARCUS(intentional sic) Winston will be another pro dud...

Oh please let this be true.

Some of us Raider fan haters miss JaWalrus being over at the Coliseum (yes, we don't much care for their fans either, but, heh, are willing to make exceptions)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 17, 2015, 03:18:11 PM
Oh please let this be true.

Some of us Raider fan haters miss JaWalrus being over at the Coliseum (yes, we don't much care for their fans either, but, heh, are willing to make exceptions)

JaWalrus ;D was attempting a comeback a year ago and it was mentioned how he was roughly 315 lbs not long before. Lots of calories in that sizzurp he was fond of. What an obvious bust from Draft Day.

Crablegs Winston needed to be drafted by a team far from Florida, not Tampa.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 17, 2015, 03:26:13 PM
  JaWalrus ;D was attempting a comeback a year ago and it was mentioned how he was roughly 315 lbs not long before. Lots of calories in that sizzurp he was fond of. What an obvious bust from Draft Day...

$50 million buys a lot of it.  Doesn't provide motivation though

Greatest QB disappointments in history. List them here.

For my money, Cade McNown was the biggest disappointment that I can remember in recent history. At UCLA he was phenomenal. He ran an exciting pro style offense, and he had  absolutely flawless mechanics. What the heck happened??