• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

eddie dean

Quote from: Orange Crush on September 08, 2015, 07:45:04 PM
I'm mostly just a lurker on BellGab with little to no time to actually read or participate in any of the threads, but I am a big fan of the podcasts, including this one. Great work so far guys. Good listening. Keep it up!

And thanks for the Pick Em action, too. I have two pick sets in the ESPN league, a "real" one where I'm picking with my head and "rando" one where I'm picking based on which of the two represented cities I'd prefer to live in. We'll see which one works out better. Good luck everyone!

Thanks OC! Knowing people listen & enjoy the podcasts, makes the time we spend doing them worth while.
I like your picking  methods for your secondary pool! ;D It will  be fun to see how you do.

eddie dean

Quote from: akwilly on September 09, 2015, 08:14:51 PM
Maybe I am wrong but I also don't recall hearing any of Tebows ex teamates coming to his defense. Only Urban Meyer has spoke up favorable to him that I know of. Don't recall anyone from Philly, New England, Jets or Denver or Univ of Florida except Urban. So ya there has to be something we don't know behind the scenes.

I believe it's a combination of issues. Maybe Tebow has a issue understanding the playbook and diagnosing a defense at a fast paced NFL level. His football IQ stinks. Add to that his accuracy and consistency issues & the  media attention he gets. It's too many negative things for a coach to overcome when deciding to keep him.  Even as a 3rd string QB, as Kelly demonstrated.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 10, 2015, 04:17:12 AM
I've been aboard since 1988/89.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=8423.msg475941#msg475941

my apologies, good man.

In other news, that late td by Pittsburgh helped cover the 7.5 line I had. thank you so much steelers!

Eddie Coyle

I've seen Steelers defense shine against the Pats once in the past 15 years. It was 2008. Matt Cassell was the Pats QB. Every other game has essentially followed tonight's pattern. Brady picking them apart with intermediate passes to half back/slot receiver...and then gets TDS in the red zone. NOT field goals(or missed ones like Scobee's)

Gronk's first TD, he was uncovered. Pathetic.

*Mike Tomlin FUMING about Steeler headsets being interfered with(Pats radio broadcast) in his press conference. Funny stuff, I feel for them having to endure the horrific "color commentary" of CTE victim Scott Zolak.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2015, 12:24:38 AM
Well I'm already one pick down. I give up!

I'm 1 and 0, from picking a team I despise to my marrow. I feel dirty.

Juan

Tebow is a terribly inaccurate passer.  He's improved little from high school, from what I can see on TV. His first instinct is to run.
Stephen Morris has a lot of upside.  He can be mobile, but stays in the pocket until it's necessary to run.  He's reasonably accurate as a passer. The Jaguars had hoped to get him back on the practice squad this year.

jazmunda

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 11, 2015, 12:54:34 AM
   I'm 1 and 0, from picking a team I despise to my marrow. I feel dirty.

Having just won my fifth (in 21 years) Aussie Rules Football picks competition that I'm in with 10 of my mates I know your pain and have had to make those hard picks many times.

That is why I like this competition. As I have no dogs in any of these fights I don't have any of those dilemmas. It is also for that reason that I will either come last or win this competition.

I once worked in a large office that had a picking competition. Two years running the receptionist won by picking teams that she liked the colour of the jersey the most. Go figure.

cweb

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 10, 2015, 10:01:30 PM
   I've seen Steelers defense shine against the Pats once in the past 15 years. It was 2008. Matt Cassell was the Pats QB. Every other game has essentially followed tonight's pattern. Brady picking them apart with intermediate passes to half back/slot receiver...and then gets TDS in the red zone. NOT field goals(or missed ones like Scobee's)

Gronk's first TD, he was uncovered. Pathetic.

*Mike Tomlin FUMING about Steeler headsets being interfered with(Pats radio broadcast) in his press conference. Funny stuff, I feel for them having to endure the horrific "color commentary" of CTE victim Scott Zolak.
While the Steelers D isn't horribly talented, they are certainly missing the schemes of Coach Dad (Dick Lebeau).

Headset interference isn't uncommon...or difficult. Having worked on the sidelines of collegiate football using pretty much the same tech as the NFL, you really have to be on top of what frequencies you're using to make sure there's a clean channel. However, a strong enough signal of any kind in the same frequency neighborhood can fuck your shit up real good. We used to have coaches complaining that their sets weren't working when ESPN was in the house. There were days when some coaches would end up on a wire. Try pulling cable through the morass of sweaty meatheads during a rain storm- makes one humble real quick.

Rambling aside, there are several ways to tamper with coach comm and I'm not surprised to hear the Pats may have looked into it. Heck, a lot of those coaches phones are still run on regular analog phone lines! You could easily tap in without anyone knowing.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2015, 05:20:24 AM
Having just won my fifth (in 21 years) Aussie Rules Football picks competition that I'm in with 10 of my mates I know your pain and have had to make those hard picks many times.

That is why I like this competition...

I have 2 entries, 1 is my best predictions, the other is who I'd prefer to win.  I wonder if Seattle, Dallas, and a couple other teams can really go 0-16 (other than head to head)

Quote from: cweb on September 11, 2015, 07:40:46 AM
... Headset interference isn't uncommon...or difficult..

I wish football and the other sports were about simply going out and playing.  QBs calling the plays, limited substitutions, coaches coaching during the week then letting them play on game day. 

They sure know how to take the fun out of sports, nearly every one has been ruined one way or the other.  I keep up with the local teams, but I can't remember when was the last time I watched more than a few minutes of any game.

Zetaspeak

I still not really sure why Brady wasn't suspended. He cheated, he was caught cheating. Even if you don't think it's a big deal the league makes the rules and they suspended him. I am not sure how he got off the hook from an outside party.

Sports (along with politics) bring out the worse in people. Whatever your standards are is thrown out the window to defend "your team".

Quote from: Zetaspeak on September 11, 2015, 08:44:40 AM
I still not really sure why Brady wasn't suspended. He cheated, he was caught cheating. Even if you don't think it's a big deal the league makes the rules and they suspended him. I am not sure how he got off the hook from an outside party.

Sports (along with politics) bring out the worse in people. Whatever your standards are is thrown out the window to defend "your team".

What I got from the decision was a judge decided the NFL couldn't suspend him because he wasn't warned in advance what the penalty was, or that one existed.  That's a lawyer for you, I - and everyone - always thought a sports commissioner had fairly broad powers and could do just about anything, within some reason.

That said, for me screwing around with the air pressure in the ball should be something that's caught in the moment and fixed, or left alone - like throwing an illegal pitch or using an illegal bat in baseball, or any of a zillion other time honored ways to 'cheat'

Speaking of recent cheating in sports, check this one out (cycling is the one sport I do watch).  The Tour of Spain (Vuelta de Espana) is currently in it's final week.  Nibali was one of the favorites going in, and was involved in a crash in one of the early stages. 

Normally if a rider crashes and is alone and trying to catch back up with the main group of riders, the race judges will look the other way if a team car allows their rider to 'draft' on it for a short time, or if the rider holds onto the side while getting medical attention or some water bottles.  Typically if he is the top rider for his team, a few of his teammates will either wait, or go back and help pace him back to the main group of riders.

In this case, Nibali had crashed with a fairly large group, and they were all riding together to get back to the main pack, so drafting, or any help from the team car wouldn't be allowed.

In this clip, Nibali is the lead rider in the group trying to catch back up (light blue jersey, red and white stripe), watch as the team car approaches then pulls away.  He was later disqualified and is out the race - but that same day, not months or years later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOblkKNpSrQ

Eddie Coyle

Aldon Smith to the Raiders.

In the transactions section that falls under "no shit, Sherlock"

akwilly

damit, I just tried to join the pig skin pickem but am froze out becouse I didn't sign up before thursday game.

eddie dean

A new episode of The NFL Football Fan Podcast  comes your way tonight!

Topics:
NFL News
Thursday's Game
AFC Division breakdown & predictions
Our pool picks
Plus a bunch more

When:
5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern

Where:
Live stream & chat here
www.ufoship.com/chat

Call:
623-242-2278

Get your Pool Picks in by 8am PT tomorrow morning

We hope you can join us!

Quote from: jazmunda on September 09, 2015, 08:21:13 PM
All aboard The Hayne Train. Go Niners.

The NFL has a 53 man roster, plus a few other players stashed on various reserve lists (such as Injured Reserve), plus up to 10 players on the practice squad.  Hayne has survived the roster cuts coming out of camp and made the 53 man roster, at least for now.  Of the 53, only 46 players suit up and are available on Game Day.

It will be interesting to see who the Punt and Kick Returners are for SF.  There were several players in camp that returned punts and kicks, and they all did well - including Hayne.  If he isn't named to be first choice for either duty, there's a good chance he won't be on the 46 player Game Day roster.  I'm not sure how that would play out among the Aussies..

eddie dean

Quote from: akwilly on September 12, 2015, 02:06:24 AM
damit, I just tried to join the pig skin pickem but am froze out becouse I didn't sign up before thursday game.

That sucks. Curtis said he will look into it. He didn't see a setting which forbids ppl from joining late.  Did you use the correct password? bellgab
I'm not sure what else to tell you. If it doesn't let you join, it's probably an ESPN rule. Will it let you join any other pools, or is the issue exclusive to ours?

eddie dean

Bills are looking good!  Upset in the making
Go Rams! My upset special pick

heater

Bills are looking really good on both sides of the ball.  In the pre-game show they had a shot of Buddy Ryan in attendance, he must have given them one hell of a pregame speech.

cweb

The first half of the Bills game is seriously the most fun half I've watched of them since my childhood Super Bowl days.

Noticed that the Bills secondary is playing off the receivers in the 2nd half. Think they've been trying to run out the clock.

Only reason Indy still has a shot is because Luck is special.

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 12, 2015, 08:59:15 PM
The NFL has a 53 man roster, plus a few other players stashed on various reserve lists (such as Injured Reserve), plus up to 10 players on the practice squad.  Hayne has survived the roster cuts coming out of camp and made the 53 man roster, at least for now.  Of the 53, only 46 players suit up and are available on Game Day.

It will be interesting to see who the Punt and Kick Returners are for SF.  There were several players in camp that returned punts and kicks, and they all did well - including Hayne.  If he isn't named to be first choice for either duty, there's a good chance he won't be on the 46 player Game Day roster.  I'm not sure how that would play out among the Aussies..

ESPN here has been advertising that game on all the other major cable stations here. The main feature of the ads has obviously been Hayne and his highlights so far. You have to understand that this type of advertising for an NFL game never occurs and is unprecedented here. The game is live on ESPN at midday here and then repeated that night in prime time. This also never happens save for the Super Bowl.

eddie dean

Quote from: cweb on September 13, 2015, 01:54:57 PM
The first half of the Bills game is seriously the most fun half I've watched of them since my childhood Super Bowl days.

Noticed that the Bills secondary is playing off the receivers in the 2nd half. Think they've been trying to run out the clock.

Only reason Indy still has a shot is because Luck is special.

The colts had a bad day against a top defence. They will use this loss to improve & will rebound  next week no doubt.

The Balt at Den game reminds me of old school football. Low scoring defensive  battle.
Ravens had 38 total yards in the 1st half & Flacco sacked twice. Manning sacked 3 times

Quote from: jazmunda on September 13, 2015, 03:16:01 PM
ESPN here has been advertising that game on all the other major cable stations here. The main feature of the ads has obviously been Hayne and his highlights so far. You have to understand that this type of advertising for an NFL game never occurs and is unprecedented here. The game is live on ESPN at midday here and then repeated that night in prime time. This also never happens save for the Super Bowl.

I wonder how much pressure the 49ers are under from the NFL to put him on the 46 man Game Day roster, for that reason.  Of course they could have decided to give him the punt return or kick return job anyway, and he'll be out there as expected.  They just haven't made that announcement, to my knowledge, but have mentioned that he could use more experience and that several players performed that role well in camp.

Reading the tea leaves, it almost sounds as if they think he could use a little more practice, and would benefit from watching others from the sideline for a week or two.  Who knows, maybe they do plan to use him and are just trying to keep the opponent off balance  They must have plans for him to have kept him on the 53 in the first place. 

But if he is on the sideline dressed in street clothes Monday Night, you'll be the only one in Australia who knows why.