Started by Camazotz Automat, July 31, 2015, 01:29:26 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 31, 2015, 05:16:14 PM
Crosby of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.  I'd swear he OD'd
in '95 or so.

What is he, on his 4th, 5th liver?

paladin1991

Quote from: Robert on July 31, 2015, 07:56:14 PM
I've embarrassed myself at least once I recall this way.  Corresponding with TV writer Alan Spencer, I expressed my condolences at the death of Leonard Stern.  Alan Spencer e-mailed back that Leonard Stern was alive & well, had seen him recently.  Leonard Stern did die eventually, but it was about 5 years later.

You spoke prophecy!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 02, 2015, 12:34:41 PM
Creapy avatar, RGG!  Nice to see you posting a bit once more!  The guy who played Grandpa Munster looked to be about 70 in 1965 and continued to pop up in movies for another 30 years.

Cheers, Westie!  I just ran across that picture a few days ago and it cracked me up.  And yeah, no matter how much I try to stay away, I just can't seem to completely escape the force of the black hole-like pull this place exerts. 

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 02, 2015, 11:31:52 PM
What is he, on his 4th, 5th liver?

At least, but it's really his gargantuan ego that won't allow the malignant old poser to die. 

Robert

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 02, 2015, 12:23:17 PMProfessor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost Authority," who turned 101 last week.
When my friend worked at Barnes & Noble, he used to see Corey come in.  Says he was just like his character IRL.  I suspect it's more an example of someone's playing a character when they're in such a public place as a book store where people might be interested in their character.

ChandlersDad

For some reason, I thought Mel Brooks was dead, but I think he is still kicking.

I admit it. MY death scares me. Last night some friends and I watched BELLS ARE RINGING, a musical from the 1950's.  I said "I bet everyone in this movie is dead now".  Why do I do that? I guess I like to scare myself. Film preserves everyone forever at that stage in their life. In reality, they grow older and leave us. That is the shock for me, to realize that actors I really like and who seem very alive (via old movies) are now dust. 

Who ever set up this universe to work this way has a lot of explaining to do.

paladin1991

Quote from: ChandlersDad on August 11, 2015, 11:05:52 AM
For some reason, I thought Mel Brooks was dead, but I think he is still kicking.

I admit it. MY death scares me. Last night some friends and I watched BELLS ARE RINGING, a musical from the 1950's.  I said "I bet everyone in this movie is dead now".  Why do I do that? I guess I like to scare myself. Film preserves everyone forever at that stage in their life. In reality, they grow older and leave us. That is the shock for me, to realize that actors I really like and who seem very alive (via old movies) are now dust. 

Way to harsh the mellow, bro.

Bernard Fox

b. May 11, 1927

When I wasn't admiring Elizabeth Montgomery's incredibly short skirts/outfits and long legs, I was analyzing the behavior of various minor characters who appeared on Bewitched.

Dr. Bombay seemed incredibly legit.

We need Bombaycare so everyone can make it to 88.

Quote from: ChandlersDad on August 11, 2015, 11:05:52 AM

Nonsense! When you are ready to come back to the madhouse, you get a new body issued to you. The only bad thing is you have to go through the teenage years all over again.

Rix Gins

Barbara Hale...Della Street of the original Perry Mason show.  Thought all of them were gone by now but no, Barbara is still taking in air at the age of 93.  I'm a big fan of the show, and would have loved a link to buy a personalized photo from her but she must be well enough off not to have to do that sort of thing, so more power to her.

PS.  Her son is the actor William Katt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Hale

Cartman: Barbara Hale is hella cool.  Amana Radar Ranges kick ass.

Art

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Miss Hungary (1936)
2nd marriage was to Conrad Hilton
9th (current) marriage began in 1986

Partially paralyzed
Two strokes
Amputated leg
Given her Last Rites five years ago

Still Alive

Robert

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 02, 2015, 12:23:17 PMProfessor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost Authority," who turned 101 last week.
I have a friend who worked in Barnes & Noble in the 1980s & used to see him come in there -- apparently in character, or that's really not a character!

Contrast w John Keel's calling card: "Not An Authority On Anything".  Apparently he just gave it as a souvenir, because no cx info on it, kept to himself.  He did give me his secret phone #, but like everyone else I lost cx w him when he had a heart attack.

Robert

Quote from: wr250 on August 02, 2015, 12:44:41 PMthat would be al lewis . and his eyebrows had their own postal code.
And it turned out he exaggerated his age & some of his resume.  When he got his radio program on WBAI, he claimed to have been in radio at a time much earlier than he was.

Robert

Quote from: ChandlersDad on August 11, 2015, 11:05:52 AMLast night some friends and I watched BELLS ARE RINGING, a musical from the 1950's.  I said "I bet everyone in this movie is dead now".  Why do I do that? I guess I like to scare myself. Film preserves everyone forever at that stage in their life. In reality, they grow older and leave us. That is the shock for me, to realize that actors I really like and who seem very alive (via old movies) are now dust.
But that's not just movies.  Ask me who won the Civil War, I'll answer, "It was a tie.  They're all dead."

albrecht

MeTV (and other type of channels) are the "cheat sheet" for this forum. They tracked down old actors, even minor characters sometimes, on the old shows and get them to do promos for the channel.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on November 28, 2015, 04:04:52 PM
MeTV (and other type of channels) are the "cheat sheet" for this forum. They tracked down old actors, even minor characters sometimes, on the old shows and get them to do promos for the channel.
Some of "F Troop" is still around.  Larry Storch is 92 and Ken Berry is 82. 

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 31, 2015, 02:44:16 AM
Mr. Vigoda has a website that monitors his status

http://www.abevigoda.com/

I was shocked Louie Anderson is alive. I recall him dieing. He is sort of like my Nelson Mandela ( Art Thought he was dead before he was). Anyone recall his cartoon?

Yup, I remember the cartoon, and I remember him dieing. Coke or heroin OD just like  John Belushi.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 31, 2015, 03:13:07 AM
John Cleese.

I was certain he passed away from heart disease after he played Q in a bond movie and had felt bad that had been his last hurrah, the cold grip of death never allowing him to gracefully retire after playing that role.

It was a real shock to find out he was still alive a few years later.
WTF - was that John Cleese ? I can remember Q passing away in real life - they even mentioned a tribute to him at the end of one of the movies, but I thought that was Desmond Llewelyn.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 31, 2015, 05:16:14 PM
Crosby of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.  I'd swear he OD'd
in '95 or so.
That's another one I remember hearing about.

Ciardelo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 28, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
Yup, I remember the cartoon, and I remember him dieing. Coke or heroin OD just like  John Belushi.
I get him confused with Chris Farley, who did die like Belushi.

Quote from: ItsOver on November 28, 2015, 05:09:58 PM
Some of "F Troop" is still around.  Larry Storch is 92 and Ken Berry is 82. 

Larry appeared on a couple of episodes of "Married with Children"

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 28, 2015, 06:09:05 PM
I get him confused with Chris Farley, who did die like Belushi.
Yup, Farley died like belushi too. The SNL curse was really all the drugs & booze provided by the show in the green room. :o

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on November 28, 2015, 04:04:52 PM

IMDB my go to source for "are they still alive?"

http://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home

pate

James Lee Burke?

That Connections guy...  I always assumed he was dead, but maybe he was/is retired?

Not Sure, heard a famous comedienne mention the name on air.

JLB, if you are alive.  I toast you sir, awesome.