• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150730 - John Dvorak - Life Beyond Earth - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, July 30, 2015, 09:57:29 PM

Robert

Quote from: Pumamama on July 30, 2015, 10:48:59 PMWow -- thanks!  Yes, we mustn't forget our pets. I just bought some freeze dried cat food. Unbelievably expensive.
Not when you know how much work goes into freeze drying a cat.

sydtron

Herbn-Legend

Quote from: saucerlike on July 30, 2015, 10:50:14 PM
Not disputing whether it happened, but I don't think an 11.0 is even possible.  I doubt it would be survivable even if it did actually happen.  What was the name of the location it happened?
puna district big island of hawaii. Most died who lived there, it waz a volcanic earthquake so it waz a magna move

bateman

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 30, 2015, 10:51:23 PM
Chasing tornados in a Volkswagen!! Haha awesome

Is that the first time he's talked about that? Holy shit is that nuts.

SciFiAuthor

Great show tonight. Really interesting guest and Art chasing tornadoes in a Volkswagen.

PathoJen

Quote from: bateman on July 30, 2015, 10:52:01 PM
He's discussed it a number of times over the years.

coaster

Hes mentioned it in the past

Quote from: Herbn-Legend on July 30, 2015, 10:47:43 PM
Hes lucky coqui frogs can be in yur area by the milluons an the sound is defening. Thats nota bird. I am SURE

Yep those are frogs.

Engineer55

Quote from: zeebo on July 30, 2015, 10:41:51 PM

On my way walking back home to the Upper Haight I stopped off at a brew pub and had a pint by candlelight with some other rattled souls trying to take the edge off.  Felt kinda like the bar at the end of the world. 

That would be Milliways, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

SaucyRossy

First time I've heard that. But that sounds like one hell of a ride.

AL5J

Quote from: trostol on July 30, 2015, 10:48:43 PM
wouldnt mind living in Hawaii but i here it is like stupid expensive there

HI, AK,  PR, VI, Guam...they're all outrageously expensive...buy beautiful

Catsmile

Moral of Arts volcano story: His Flip wife is smarter than he is.

zeebo

Quote from: Noorynoid on July 30, 2015, 10:46:57 PM
I was in an elevator in Sacramento when the 89 quake hit. We could feel the elevator moving left and right as it descended but didn't know what happened until we got in the car and flipped on the radio.

Yeah I had my old mini-radio and listened to it as I walked home.  But all I could get was national news and the way they were reporting it you'd have thought SF had just sunk into the sea.  Only later did I realize that there were several pockets of heavy damage, which consumed all the nat'l news, but large swaths of the city were unscathed, including my 85-yr. old creaky Victorian apt.

ChandlersDad

I thought the right wing Republican God created Earthquakes to punish happy people.

trostol

i can not look at your avatar without thinking of his character in Grand Budapest lol

Heather Wade

Yeah, let's talk about Yellowstone, it scares the hell out of me.

cosmic hobo

Where's Jaz at? Has not posted in a few days and he loves these threads. Hope he's ok.

Sean92008

Quote from: Jorch Einstein on July 30, 2015, 10:51:10 PM
Some wacko woman at my work tried to get me to marry her Philippino friend who was about to get deported. She said she would give me $15k to do it. Lol. I declined.

That has led to a couple of friends being pretty happy with the move.  Funny thing is that, when they marry other (American) Filipinos, the green-carder treat the citizens like poo-poo-doo.

Quote from: ChandlersDad on July 30, 2015, 10:53:46 PM
I thought the right wing Republican God created Earthquakes to punish happy people.

Yeah didn't they say that on the 700 club? Almost as asinine as Ted Cruz saying Obama is the number 2 funder of terrorism after Iran.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: cosmic hobo on July 30, 2015, 10:54:10 PM
Where's Jaz at? Has not posted in a few days and he loves these threads. Hope he's ok.

Good question! I know he had mentioned he'd be going on vacation at some point. Maybe he's afk

zeebo

Quote from: Engineer55 on July 30, 2015, 10:53:13 PM
That would be Milliways, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

Explains the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.  8)