• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Laurakinch

Quote from: WOTR on May 26, 2019, 12:29:01 PM
Still no acknowledgement for the other reasons that people don't stop? If it is 25mph, it is in the city. People don't stop in the city (and most don't on the highway anymore, either.) It is not the wrinkle on your face- it's that our culture has changed.

Oh, and one more reason that is not age related... There was a time when a man with basic mechanical knowledge would stop and have a pretty good chance at feeling important- maybe even be able to fix the car. "Hey there, little lady. It looks like the engine is starving for fuel. It could be your carb- but I think your in line filter may just be clogged. I'll just grab my trusty wrench set and pull that out for you. Now you be sure to get to the garage and get a new one installed as soon as you can." If it could not be fixed, many of us had a tow rope and would pull you to the nearest station. No longer is that an option (I can't imagine the fine. And the last person I pulled did not realize they had to hit the brakes to keep the rope taught. Actually hit my back bumper lightly and I used my car to stop theirs for the light before getting out to explain how to be pulled.)

Those days are gone. Who wants to pull up to a car and come off as an impotent fool? Now the only question to be asked is "would you like to borrow my cell phone to call for a tow truck?" Why should we stop (albeit, I still do, occasionally.) But most men don't have a wrench set, most don't carry a computer to diagnose if it is your cam shaft position sensor, knock sensor, or spark controller that has failed. Most are not going to feel that they have been of any help (and yes, I would suggest that feeling important was a big factor of why men stopped.) Maybe we can fix it. Maybe we can tow you to a station. If not, we will at least save you the walk to a pay phone. That was the 90's or early 2000's. Now we can just say "are you O.K? Have you already called a wrecker? before driving off like fools.

But again, blame it on the wrinkle under your eye. Blame it on men in general. (And I won't argue that an 18 year old waitress dressed in a short skirt and thigh high black boots with a low cut top will still have somebody stop. But it is not just age related- and if you don't fit the above description, you are out of luck.)

I suppose my next question is: aside from feeling attractive, why do you want somebody to stop? Do you have your own phone? Do you think that they can help you? Are you going to require a tow truck anyhow? Would you really rather get in a car with a strange man and have them drive you home and know where you reside than jump in the passenger seat of the wrecker when it shows up to pull your car away?

Holy shit, you are one tedious asshole.

AZZERAE

Dick, asshole, big mouth. I like this.

WOTR

Quote from: Laurakinch on May 26, 2019, 01:01:29 PM
Holy shit, you are one tedious asshole.
Are you another of the poor women who men drive by because you have developed a wrinkle?  :'(

SredniVashtar

Quote from: WOTR on May 26, 2019, 02:54:00 PM
Are you another of the poor women who men drive by because you have developed a wrinkle?  :'(

Passing motorists tend to be more put off by the axe she carries around.

WOTR

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 26, 2019, 03:01:06 PM
Funny (true) story. I once picked up a stranded motorist (or hitchhiker): I really don't recall which. Anyhow, on the dash of that car was about a 10" knife that I had from a birthday celebration earlier that weekend (a group of us went to a national park- I had the cake and knife.)

Nothing came of it- but I do recall the guy eyeing it suspiciously a few times...

Ah, the good old days when motorists would stop and have tire irons and booster cables in their trunk and knives on their dash...  8)

*You are probably correct. I might not pick up Laura unless she took special care to conceal her ax dripping with fresh blood.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 26, 2019, 03:01:06 PM

That and the fact the edge is embedded in the now very dry and shrunken desiccated head of one of the managers in her department who took too long replying to an internal e mail she sent to him about abuse to staff by the public. It does though stop the edge of the blade getting blunt as it rattles around on the back seat.

Quote from: WOTR on May 26, 2019, 12:29:01 PM
I suppose my next question is:

My first question -- still unanswered -- is how often she breaks down.  It's only happened once or twice to me in my entire life.  She makes it sound like a weekly event.  Maybe instead of concerning herself about male conduct she should be securing reliable transportation.

Quote from: 14 on May 26, 2019, 12:30:14 AM
I wasn't talking about on the freeway.  People can see my age at 25mph.

One time some people I gave a ride to would not get out of my car after  long day, when they were getting rude and I asked them to get out.  I had to make the police do it.  You never know.
Hypothetical situation 14. You're broke down on the side of the road...car's completely dead, no cellphone. Cars keep zooming by but none stop. It's getting dark and you're starting to worry. Suddenly you see a convertible pull onto the shoulder with "Lady in red" blaring out the car radio. "HOW ARE YEEEWWW!" It's none other than George Noory and his portly sidekick Tommy Damphenhauser on their way to another C2C invasion. "Need a ride, or a complimentary glass of water?"

What would you do?

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on May 26, 2019, 09:14:16 PM
Hypothetical situation 14. You're broke down on the side of the road..

I was driving back from Stoneridge to Fremont on Highway 880 in Northern California, Fremont being my home town. The majority of this trip is along something called the Sunol Grade, which is lots and lots of farmland and hills, few crossroads and no businesses or homes nearby. So it's what you would consider a remote area, smack dab in miles of developed land.

As I'm driving along, I see a car on the side of the highway. A bit further along the side of the road I see a guy in a business suit carrying a duffel bag, so I slow down and stop because I figure it's just some dude whose car ran out of gas a little too soon, and that he looks okay and probably would appreciate the lift. Anyway, I pull over, he walks up to my car and throws his bag in the back and hops in, and I say, "Hey, where you headed?"  He just glares at me and says, "Just take me into town."  So I was a little nervous and pretty annoyed, because I'm not feeling that Good Samaritan endorphin rush. Then for some dumb reason I ask him what he had in the bag, and he says "None of your fucking business."

So the whole rest of the drive I'm just thinking this can't be real....thank god it was still light out...I was getting more and more nervous. Who the fuck is this guy? What have I gotten myself into? We continue along the highway and we get into Fremont, and I get off at the first exit and stop at the first gas station I see because I want him out of there as soon as possible at this point...and I drive away and make it home alive...I can't stop shaking but I feel elated that I'm safe and rid of this situation.

Then later I go to get my shit out of my car and realize the guy left his fuckin bag in my car.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 26, 2019, 07:12:10 PM
My first question -- still unanswered -- is how often she breaks down.  It's only happened once or twice to me in my entire life.  She makes it sound like a weekly event.  Maybe instead of concerning herself about male conduct she should be securing reliable transportation.

I'm starting to wonder if these breakdowns aren't a euphemism and she's hanging around at the side of the road trying to earn some extra income.

Quote from: albrecht on May 18, 2019, 06:54:04 PM
The latest update of Firefox though took off a lot of apps though. And interestingly ones that forced https, d/l of youtube vids, do not track, block ads or redirections, free VPN, etc.  Even add-ons from EFF. So? Idk. Fox got in the hen house? Aint nobody here but us chickens!
Yeah.  :(
I stopped updating to new versions of FFx when they went to the Australius interface (vers. 28 ?) Another thing they did just recently was to 404 the Old Versions of addons. The are no longer available from the Mozilla site. You have to find them elsewhere, and that's dodgey - you don't know if they've been messed with. (Does anyone besides me save copies of addons they've DLed ?)

The EFF addons don't work w/ my version of FFx (Privacy Badger is excellent), but I use only noscript and request policy, and they block drive-by DLs and most of the nasties that are out there. (I have other xpi's I wrote to handle the rest of the shit that tries to get in through the browser. (These are proprietary and I probably won't release them.))

But, NS & RP are pretty much all you need to keep yourself safe online - there is a learning curve though, as NS will break a lot of sites until you learn how to use it.
Web pages also load 10 - 70x faster with just these 2 addons (depending on your connection speed.)   ;)

Quote from: albrecht on May 18, 2019, 08:16:42 PM

Admittedly a personal problem. Too much reservation and cost/benefit analysis and "if it aint broke don't change it" "dance with the one that brought you" etc on my part.however there also is, sometimes, a person to say "no." Look before leaping or whatever sayings. Speed kills. Fun. But kills.
No, no, no....
Circumstances at speed kill. (Blowout, oncoming drunks using both lanes, critters jumping in your path, etc)
Shit happens fast at speed.   
It's not a playground for the meek.
But, it is a useful skill, in an emergency.    ;)
And Hell yes, it's fun.      ;D

AZZERAE

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 27, 2019, 09:33:21 AM
Lame.

Lame? I'd say picking on women in distress along the roadside is lamer.

Laurakinch

Quote from: WOTR on May 26, 2019, 02:54:00 PM

My first serious BF was a mechanic so my cars were kept in good condition. We stayed friends after we broke up and he always came to my rescue if I had car trouble even though I tried to run him over with my 68 Camaro RS. How I miss that car.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 26, 2019, 12:13:31 PM
I'm on Bellgab... Yes, I'm aware.
You could just say that you have no interest in mechanical work- you don't want to get greasy, you are not mechanically inclined- and I would both believe you and accept the reason. I'm still not buying your line of reasoning.

My aunts father is nearing 90. We make fun of him (and he knows it) because for the last two decades he has not been able to lift his (already VERY short arms) over his shoulder due to injury. He has, what we all refer to as "T-rex arms." And it's damn funny to watch.

You may be wondering what the point is? He has been a farmer his whole life and is around 90. He still maintains his tractor (but no longer his car- that is finally left to the shop.) This is a man who is under 5 feet and skinny. Boxed when he was younger, took up rugby when he was 45. He wrecked his body something awful, but will still replace the clutch on his tractor (at 90. With arms that don't go above should level. With arthritis in his back and hips.)

I'm sorry if I don't buy that the reason you don't fix your car is your build. I'm sorry that I was just wanting to hear that the real reason is you have no interest in it. My mother has no interest. I replace the starter in her van, fix the suspension in her car, replace the brakes and change out whatever else is necessary. She has no interest in doing the work- I have no interest in telling her that she should. But she has never told me that she does not want to replace her alternator (a simple fix) because she has breasts...

I'm done for now. You can come back and tell me that I just don't understand. That you would have been a grease monkey but for the fact that you have short arms and a chest. I won't believe you, but I will stop (for now) saying so.
I never said I wasn't interested in it.  I Offered To Help My Shaketree Mechanic For A Moment But He Stopped Me, Saying, "No, Ladies Have A Couple Things On Their Chests That Usually Get In The Way".

Take it up with him, T.A.  (That's "tedious actor").

Jojo

You want to know what I want someone to pull over?  OMG, have you never owned "affordable" cars?  Listen, Good Samaritans have helped me keep my vehicles running on shoestrings and talent, so that I can:

-Immediately proceed to work on time, dealing with the issue after work so I don't miss pay and attendance.
-Know that I'm screwed & have to call my boss and get a tow.
-Advise me what fluids I need to have on hand until I can get the problem fixed.
-Showed me how to understand things for future reference.
-Tell me whether or not I'll be able to drive to the nearest shop without causing substantially more costly damage.
-Understand commonsense vehicle maintenance.
-Told me the likely parts that need replaced.
-Told me the likely cost of needed work.
-Told me how long needed work takes, if unusual parts might need to be ordered.
-Shared knowledge of various shops, as far as whether they park cars inside or outside, or have good hours.
-Helped me retrieve and string my muffler back on so I could get to an appointment.
-Advised me on where to have my vehicle repaired for good service.
-Pushed my car off the middle of a busy road until AAA could come.
-Told me ways to drive (like avoid idling) in order to postpone repairs.

When I go into a shop, I am an easy target because the tech could say anything and I would believe it.  So, what's to keep them honest?  Even AAA-approved doesn't mean as much as it used to.

I don't know why you're curious about break-downs.  Everyone knows vehicles need maintenance and full-time wages post-NAFTA often don't qualify a lady for an apartment in major cities.  Housing has tripled since 1997 but my income has gone down about $5/hour and my average annual hours have gone down to less than half, to the point that so few hours are in the base year that I no longer even qualify for the safety net of unemployment.  It ran out in 2017 and now I can't even get it for the foreseeable future, when my employer cuts my hours.  That means auto maintenance doesn't get done.  As an example, recently, I was able to get new windshield wipers.  Now I can drive in the rain at night again like usual, but for a year I had to refrain or risk harm.

Now, how do I get You Tubes to stop cycling in Windows 10 with ALL browsers?

Jojo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 27, 2019, 02:42:07 AM
I'm starting to wonder if these breakdowns aren't a euphemism and she's hanging around at the side of the road trying to earn some extra income.
Are you a law enforcement officer?  I guess there are FORTY agencies who can make arrests.
Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 27, 2019, 01:51:26 AM
I was driving back from Stoneridge to Fremont on Highway 880 in Northern California, Fremont being my home town. The majority of this trip is along something called the Sunol Grade, which is lots and lots of farmland and hills, few crossroads and no businesses or homes nearby. So it's what you would consider a remote area, smack dab in miles of developed land.

As I'm driving along, I see a car on the side of the highway. A bit further along the side of the road I see a guy in a business suit carrying a duffel bag, so I slow down and stop because I figure it's just some dude whose car ran out of gas a little too soon, and that he looks okay and probably would appreciate the lift. Anyway, I pull over, he walks up to my car and throws his bag in the back and hops in, and I say, "Hey, where you headed?"  He just glares at me and says, "Just take me into town."  So I was a little nervous and pretty annoyed, because I'm not feeling that Good Samaritan endorphin rush. Then for some dumb reason I ask him what he had in the bag, and he says "None of your fucking business."

So the whole rest of the drive I'm just thinking this can't be real....thank god it was still light out...I was getting more and more nervous. Who the fuck is this guy? What have I gotten myself into? We continue along the highway and we get into Fremont, and I get off at the first exit and stop at the first gas station I see because I want him out of there as soon as possible at this point...and I drive away and make it home alive...I can't stop shaking but I feel elated that I'm safe and rid of this situation.

Then later I go to get my shit out of my car and realize the guy left his fuckin bag in my car.
WHAT WAS IN IT?

Jojo

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on May 26, 2019, 09:14:16 PM
Hypothetical situation 14. You're broke down on the side of the road...car's completely dead, no cellphone. Cars keep zooming by but none stop. It's getting dark and you're starting to worry. Suddenly you see a convertible pull onto the shoulder with "Lady in red" blaring out the car radio. "HOW ARE YEEEWWW!" It's none other than George Noory and his portly sidekick Tommy Damphenhauser on their way to another C2C invasion. "Need a ride, or a complimentary glass of water?"

What would you do?
Get them to pull way over in the easement onto as much broken glass as possible and get them to open their hood and look the other way while I loosened their distributor cap under the guise of my auto needing a jump start.

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 27, 2019, 08:16:54 PM
I never said I wasn't interested in it.  I Offered To Help My Shaketree Mechanic For A Moment But He Stopped Me, Saying, "No, Ladies Have A Couple Things On Their Chests That Usually Get In The Way".

Take it up with him, T.A.  (That's "tedious actor").

:-X (that would be the face I'm making while I try to fulfill my promise...)  8)

AZZERAE

I never got the whole fascination with breasts, anyway.

Quote from: AZZERAE on May 28, 2019, 12:47:27 AM
I never got the whole fascination with breasts, anyway.

Senda can explain it to you.