• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Lilith

Quote from: Liberace! on February 19, 2019, 01:24:59 AM

I'm in the USA and I don't feel like I've experienced those issues with Windows 10, and I've installed it on hundreds of machines with a seemingly limitless number of random hardware configurations.  To me, Win10 feels like the cleanest, most responsive and stable version of Windows ever.  It runs far smoother on older hardware than Windows 7, and it's my opinion that Win10 is far snappier on a given piece of hardware than any mainstream Linux variant I've tried recently.

There are annoyances in Win10, but they can all be adequately addressed/configured to my satisfaction.  Perhaps not yours, but that's how things go, sometimes.

Praise MV!

Metron2267

edit:  No, you can't.  You shouldn't be using Internet Explorer anyway, though, and they shouldn't be including it with Windows in 2019.  I don't know why they do.  Surely an update will rip it out soon.

Only Microsuck could produce two browsers simultaneously and have one be incompatible, lol! ;D

QuoteI'm in the USA and I don't feel like I've experienced those issues with Windows 10, and I've installed it on hundreds of machines with a seemingly limitless number of random hardware configurations.  To me, Win10 feels like the cleanest, most responsive and stable version of Windows ever.  It runs far smoother on older hardware than Windows 7, and it's my opinion that Win10 is far snappier on a given piece of hardware than any mainstream Linux variant I've tried recently.

There are annoyances in Win10, but they can all be adequately addressed/configured to my satisfaction.  Perhaps not yours, but that's how things go, sometimes.

True dat, it's the bestest most shiny piece of spyware and ill-conceived bridge OS ever to try and marry a failed cell phone venture with near-dead PC gaming and something so desktop market obsolete that even the Wintel monicker no longer imbues it with a halo of respectability.

Its greatest achievement - not being Windoze 8. :-\

Jojo

Yes, you can.  I just did it.  It's sluggish, though.  It's as if the legacy cut/paste system that's been baked into Windows for a reeeeally long time isn't being used.  As to the data loss claim, I'm not gonna bother testing that one out.

you can't just type "internet explorer" in the start menu and then drag the icon to the desktop? 

edit:  No, you can't.  You shouldn't be using Internet Explorer anyway, though, and they shouldn't be including it with Windows in 2019.  I don't know why they do.  Surely an update will rip it out soon.

I'm in the USA and I don't feel like I've experienced those issues with Windows 10, and I've installed it on hundreds of machines with a seemingly limitless number of random hardware configurations.  To me, Win10 feels like the cleanest, most responsive and stable version of Windows ever.  It runs far smoother on older hardware than Windows 7, and it's my opinion that Win10 is far snappier on a given piece of hardware than any mainstream Linux variant I've tried recently.

Like I said, now the user is a geek.  Just like now the receptionist does payroll, tech support, answers for 4 other branches and does janitorial.  Okay.   I wouldn't mind being a geek, but as it stands I just fell for the Microsoft tech support scam today.  Not much harm was done.  The weirdo on the phone said, "Your computer is moving very slow."  I told him I thought the battery died, but actually I turned it off when the guy acted unprofessional  ("How old are you?"  "When will you be home again?"  "What do you use your computer for?"  "We won't charge you because you are using your device to look for a job.")  I think another factory reset will take care of it.  Nothing was installed.  I came to the library and found out it was a scam.  I got the virus from the Contact Us on Craigslist, after contacting them about auto-flagging programs abusing my resume.  Every time I post my resume, it is down within 2 hours.  And I can't re-post until Craigslist dries out for a couple days.  Then when I re-post, they are auto-flagged & taken down again in 2 hours.  For months.  It could be a for-profit job search agency taking people down.  It could be a peer who wants the same job I do.  It could be haters.  A lot of my work over the last few years came from Craigslist.  At the library, I contacted them again to tell them their contact page could be infected.  While I tried to cut & paste between tabs, all the field data was lost in Chrome.  So, I opened Firefox and cut and pasted from Firefox to Chrome.  Weird to be able to cut & paste from afar, but not close up.

But I thought W10 had built-in Defender.  I had just done a factory reset because of slowness.

I read everyone's comments about IE.  It is appalling that a job application went better in IE than Edge.  I'll keep my eye on that tab auto-refresh preference.

I finally got the IE shortcut on my home device, a paltry system but I'm afraid to install Chrome or FF again because last time I did, my device got really slow loading pages - maybe an unrelated issue but I just am not ready to take a chance again.

This Bellgab topic (Technology) has helped me a lot.  People here are very knowledgeable and down-to-earth.  I have not found a topic like this on Ellgab.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 14 on February 19, 2019, 07:21:56 PM
It is appalling that a job application went better in IE than Edge.

Perhaps the website wasn't compliant with modern browser standards.  In other words, the website's owner got the site working well on IE long ago when that was a thing, but they never bothered to evolve it from there.  If so, that's more of a commentary on that website than the Edge browser.

Having said that, a few months ago I did try using Edge exclusively for about a week on all of my PCs.  There were plenty of reasons the trial didn't continue beyond a week.  Edge felt clunky and second rate.  My biggest gripe was that Edge doesn't use the legacy Windows menu system at all.  It uses the stripped down, graphically "modern" menu system that you see in Win10's Microsoft Store apps.  In other words, when you right click, you don't get the type of menu (and the range of options) you'd get in any other browser.

Lilith

Quote from: 14 on February 19, 2019, 07:21:56 PM

But I thought W10 had built-in Defender.  I had just done a factory reset because of slowness.

Windows 10 has built in Defender, but if your new computer came with another system installed, like Norton, or McAfee,  you have to turn them off and uninstall them first, then turn Windows Defender on.  Having two security systems running at the same time, is one of the most common cause of many issues.

Jojo

Quote from: brig on March 03, 2019, 05:39:24 AM

Windows 10 has built in Defender, but if your new computer came with another system installed, like Norton, or McAfee,  you have to turn them off and uninstall them first, then turn Windows Defender on.  Having two security systems running at the same time, is one of the most common cause of many issues.
I've heard that, too.  You seem to be the only one who remembers.  I'll keep it in mind.

Jojo

Quote from: Liberace! on March 03, 2019, 04:11:56 AM
Perhaps the website wasn't compliant with modern browser standards.  In other words, the website's owner got the site working well on IE long ago when that was a thing, but they never bothered to evolve it from there.  If so, that's more of a commentary on that website than the Edge browser.

Having said that, a few months ago I did try using Edge exclusively for about a week on all of my PCs.  There were plenty of reasons the trial didn't continue beyond a week.  Edge felt clunky and second rate.  My biggest gripe was that Edge doesn't use the legacy Windows menu system at all.  It uses the stripped down, graphically "modern" menu system that you see in Win10's Microsoft Store apps.  In other words, when you right click, you don't get the type of menu (and the range of options) you'd get in any other browser.
Yes.  To me, a website should look and act the same in any browser, just like a franchise looks and acts the same whether it's on a mountain or in a valley.  Oh well.

ksm32

Quote from: 14 on February 05, 2019, 10:53:52 PM
Does Window 10's security cover downloaded browers too, or only the Microsoft browser on board?
Windows, "security?"

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on February 16, 2019, 01:10:47 AM
My technique when learning new software or trying to fix bugs in things I know fairly well is to search and state the problem, including software/hardware name and revision: "Samsung 430 laptop running Linux Mint 17 disconnects from Internet every few minutes."  Sometimes you have to restate it, change word order around, add or subtract things.  But I have been amazed at how often I can quickly find someone with exactly the same problem as me and a solution to go along with it.

Here's a real world example, using a query from your post.  You can read my statement in the search bar:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+get+Adobe+Flash+to+work+in+windows+10&t=ffab&ia=web

I'll bet that if you sift through the search results, you will find the answer you need.
Excellent post that brings up an important point DPS. 90% (or higher) of people don't know how to formulate a proper search query that will return relevant results. Granted, there are times when things are going on in the background that redirect searches, but that only happens once in a while - unless, of coarse, you use google.   (subcasing intentional)  :P Fuck google.

14 - please understand that running Flash is dangerous. This is more than likely why it is not included by default anymore.
In fact, Adobe Flash is pretty much un-fixable, and it is exceptionally dangerous to run it on any version of WinDoze.
Here are just a couple of reasons to remove Flash from your life.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/443712/dangerous-malware-targeting-adobe-flash-for-windows-macs-and-chrome-os

https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/adobe-flash-vulnerabilities-security-risks/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-users-attacked-via-critical-flash-zero-day-patch-now-urges-adobe/

;)

Quote from: 14 on February 18, 2019, 04:41:06 AM
Tap-select can ruin lives.  E-mails get sent simply because your cursor moved when the table was bumped, and BINGO, Windows10 sends the unedited e-mail. 

Disabling tap-select can keep you safe!!!!!
Why the fuck would you use a proprietary Operating System that does shit like this ??    ???
Instead of pissing and moaning about it, get off you ass, learn how to run a VM or how to burn a live disk and start trying different operating systems until you find something that suits your purpose.
With the proper use of knowledge, comes power. 
(Notice I didn't say information, or data ?)    ;)

... To me, Win10 feels like the cleanest, most responsive and stable version of Windows ever.  It runs far smoother on older hardware than Windows 7, and it's my opinion that Win10 is far snappier on a given piece of hardware than any mainstream Linux variant I've tried recently.

Try this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Definitely not mainstream.  ;)
A couple of things not mentioned are, that any changes you make in the Live Disk, transfer with you to the install.
If you separate out partitions for / /home /var /etc /tmp etc, etc, etc, the installer allows you to move those file systems at the end of the install - which is sweet for setting individual FileSystem permissions per partition (like in FSTab).
If you use the minimum install, the system is clean and fast, absolutely no bloat - install what you like afterwards.
You'll need to set the BIOS to legacy as it doesn't handle UEFI yet. (Personally, I like this)
By default, the software manager doesn't DL a shit-ton of useless language translations that you'll never use. (Remove translations from Doze and see the marked speed improvement.)  ;)
Tint2 panel - Highly customizable, but no drag and drop - keeps the nasties out.
Comes with Parcelite clipboard cleaner - everyone should use a clipboard cleaner just for the simple fact that  it decreases your attack surface - especially when online. (This goes for Doze too.)
You can toggle conky off and on with a simple keybind, or from the right click menu.
Oh, it runs damn fast on ancient systems.
Install wbar if you want an additional program launcher with 0 dependencies.
Half the fun is customizing it once it's installed, but it runs fast and true straight out of the box.
No systemd.
Stable.
I did an install on an old machine with Devuan and then had to sideload (during installation) some required software (for my special purpose with an FS muck I was messing with,) With VuuDo, if you DL a program on the live disk, it will also be installed with your fresh installation.
Did I mention that basic installation takes about 10 minutes ?     Yeah.   ;)
It has a super clean minimalistic desktop.
Right click brings up the menu wherever you are on the screen - handy.
The menu automatically updates - something most WMs don't handle by default.
No DE, although you can install one,( it's really just extra bloat and not needed.)

Quote from: brig on March 03, 2019, 05:39:24 AM

Bingo.    :)

Quote from: 14 on March 06, 2019, 03:18:13 AM
I've heard that, too.  You seem to be the only one who remembers.  I'll keep it in mind.
    AH-HEM

Quote from: ksm32 on March 07, 2019, 12:27:30 AM
Windows, "security?"
Heh, heh, heh.     :D

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on April 02, 2019, 03:37:20 AM
Try this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Definitely not mainstream.  ;)
A couple of things not mentioned are, that any changes you make in the Live Disk, transfer with you to the install.
If you separate out partitions for / /home /var /etc /tmp etc, etc, etc, the installer allows you to move those file systems at the end of the install - which is sweet for setting individual FileSystem permissions per partition (like in FSTab).
If you use the minimum install, the system is clean and fast, absolutely no bloat - install what you like afterwards.
You'll need to set the BIOS to legacy as it doesn't handle UEFI yet. (Personally, I like this)
By default, the software manager doesn't DL a shit-ton of useless language translations that you'll never use. (Remove translations from Doze and see the marked speed improvement.)  ;)
Tint2 panel - Highly customizable, but no drag and drop - keeps the nasties out.
Comes with Parcelite clipboard cleaner - everyone should use a clipboard cleaner just for the simple fact that  it decreases your attack surface - especially when online. (This goes for Doze too.)
You can toggle conky off and on with a simple keybind, or from the right click menu.
Oh, it runs damn fast on ancient systems.
Install wbar if you want an additional program launcher with 0 dependencies.
Half the fun is customizing it once it's installed, but it runs fast and true straight out of the box.
No systemd.
Stable.
I did an install on an old machine with Devuan and then had to sideload (during installation) some required software (for my special purpose with an FS muck I was messing with,) With VuuDo, if you DL a program on the live disk, it will also be installed with your fresh installation.
Did I mention that basic installation takes about 10 minutes ?     Yeah.   ;)
It has a super clean minimalistic desktop.
Right click brings up the menu wherever you are on the screen - handy.
The menu automatically updates - something most WMs don't handle by default.
No DE, although you can install one,( it's really just extra bloat and not needed.)

Bingo.    :)
          AH-HEM
   Heh, heh, heh.     :D

No systemd?  Color me intrigued!

LTSB master race checking in.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 02, 2019, 09:09:55 PM
No systemd?  Color me intrigued!
There are only 2 pre-installed programs relating to systemd. One is a library, (libsystemd0,) and the other is ' devuan-baseconf '  These are mainly needed if you pull in programs that are not systemd free, but apt is configured to avoid systemd, and (translations,) in the first place.   ;-)
I think Mr. Green Jeans did an awesome job on his spin. He implemented a lot of things I hard code in the configs on all my debian / devuan systems.

Oh - low ram usage too. I'm @ 621 MB with synaptic, my browser (with a few tabs open,) a terminal, and a text editor open. I'm also running 4 virtual destops - handy as hell. (I think Doze 10 has enacted this feature from Linux also.)

Here's a scrot-shot of my destop, with my modified Tint2 panel,  & conky. I've sanitized the pic.

Jojo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on April 02, 2019, 02:17:19 AM
Why the fuck would you use a proprietary Operating System that does shit like this ??    ???
Instead of pissing and moaning about it, get off you ass, learn how to run a VM or how to burn a live disk and start trying different operating systems until you find something that suits your purpose.
With the proper use of knowledge, comes power. 
(Notice I didn't say information, or data ?)    ;)
I didn't know I could change the OS on a laptop.  I already got off my a** and returned/exchanged it twice bec of defective.  I don't think they'll let me exchange it a third time just bec the OS crashes a lot & emails get sent before I'm done typing. To my landlord and boss.  Time to disable tap-select again.

Jojo

Quote from: Liberace! on March 03, 2019, 04:11:56 AM

If you have regularly used Windows10, what browser worked well?  Maybe W10 isn't the problem although my C drive said it had to repair itself (even though I clear my history a lot).  Maybe MS Edge is the problem.  Between the mousepad and these programs, I have to repeat keystrokes three to six times to get anywhere and it's starting to affect my hands, not to mention wasting time.  I guess I should get a mouse to cut down on problems.  Screens just go blank, the browser shuts, the mousepad acts like I'm not there, can't reliably type into the url, etc...  I'm sure some frustrations are user error but using this Edge/W10 thing is like using scissors to mow the lawn.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 14 on May 04, 2019, 04:49:36 AM
If you have regularly used Windows10, what browser worked well?  Maybe W10 isn't the problem although my C drive said it had to repair itself (even though I clear my history a lot).  Maybe MS Edge is the problem.  Between the mousepad and these programs, I have to repeat keystrokes three to six times to get anywhere and it's starting to affect my hands, not to mention wasting time.  I guess I should get a mouse to cut down on problems.  Screens just go blank, the browser shuts, the mousepad acts like I'm not there, can't reliably type into the url, etc...  I'm sure some frustrations are user error but using this Edge/W10 thing is like using scissors to mow the lawn.

I use Chrome, but it sounds like you need a new hard drive.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 14 on May 04, 2019, 04:49:36 AM

I bought my laptop new with win 10 in october 2017..it ran beautifully, never crashed, booted up very quickly, loaded programs lightning fast...And then around March 2018 it was nagging me to update which I put off and put off...until latish April I let it do it's thing one fateful saturday night and went to bed...Sunday I woke up and had actually forgotten I'd let it update overnight...So imagine my surprise when I was presented with the BSOD and none of the options therein would boot to desk top...Nothing, nada, zilch.

Several hours and several different MS agents later and still no resolution, I turned to a friend who is a MS accredited bod who tried what he could but deduced after some time that I had to clean install Windows, which we did from a USB stick he had. This of course wiped everything, but had to be done. I then went through the lengthy procedure of him downloading drivers for me and installing them on my machine, and eventually I got to the stage of being able to install programmes I needed..Thankfully I'd not yet deleted any of the 100's of photos from the flashcards for the camera so I didn't have a complete breakdown.

When I had spoken to the agents on the phone I was told by one of the managers that they were fielding thousands of calls (hence the long wait to talk to anyone) from a lot of people who had had screwed up computers and he wasn't best pleased as (in his words) "The developers have written this with little thought to how it will be received" which I though remarkably candid.  I've since read on MS's own forum that many have had completely trashed machines including fried mother boards but many others have spent several dozens of dollars getting things back to a working machine.

I then went online and asked a MS guru to help me put in the update that had screwed up my laptop, and he told me something (after I had let him remote access) that was never mentioned before the update..The screw up occurred because the BIOS hadn't been updated. After accessing it, he then went through installing the update but I noticed he changed certain things already there from the clean install which I couldn't possibly have known about needing. It installed okay but I'm still not satisfied with things since then.

It crashes randomly, it is dog slow and hangs regularly (I regularly clear temp files etc), and is just not the same as it was. I have since the episode turned off updates because I simply don't trust things to be any better. MS have no interest in doing anything else but push out updates they have no interest in knowing if they work or not. The argument is that there are so many different configurations of computer they can't possible keep up and make sure they all work, but that isn't a valid excuse. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Kidnostad3

In August 2017 I loaded Windows 10 on a 2yo HP laptop.  Replaced it with a MacBook Pro in October 2017 and never looked back.  IMHO XP was the last decent version of Windows. 

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 05, 2019, 03:21:13 PM
In August 2017 I loaded Windows 10 on a 2yo HP laptop.  Replaced it with a MacBook Pro in October 2017 and never looked back.  IMHO XP was the last decent version of Windows.

In December of 2017 I purchased an Asus L403S laptop.  I got tired of lugging my beloved Samsung Q430 dual boot system (W7 and Linux Mint) to work everyday.  Just too heavy.  The Asus is much lighter, but the tradeoff is a 64gb ssd which doesn't leave enough space for a dual boot system. 

I installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon and the laptop has run like a top ever since.  All the software that I need is freeware.  All the drivers, for everything, are automatically installed. 

My Samsung is now the laptop I use at home.  I installed W10, an early version that runs like the wind, from within VirtualBox.  I turned off the wifi for VirtualBox so it can't phone home to MS.  I don't really use it much, frankly, because I can do anything and everything I want from within Linux.  No browser issues, either.

Jojo

Thanks for the great info, you guys.  I'll go for Chrome.  There's probably life left in this thing; W10 did an automatic C drive repair and momentarily, IE is doing alright until I get Chrome.

Odd thing though, secondary windows open to MSN or Microsoft News, not Google.  I spent a lot of time on it.  There is a script error on the page where users can select Google.  It said push no, if I'm not a tester, so I pushed no, but got nowhere.  It's like everyone has to be a techie nowadays.  I just want to use my tool, not re-engineer it.  Same with phones and sim cards.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 05, 2019, 01:34:56 PM
I bought my laptop new with win 10 in october 2017..it ran beautifully, never crashed, booted up very quickly, loaded programs lightning fast...And then around March 2018 it was nagging me to update which I put off and put off...until latish April I let it do it's thing one fateful saturday night and went to bed...Sunday I woke up and had actually forgotten I'd let it update overnight...So imagine my surprise when I was presented with the BSOD and none of the options therein would boot to desk top...Nothing, nada, zilch.

Several hours and several different MS agents later and still no resolution, I turned to a friend who is a MS accredited bod who tried what he could but deduced after some time that I had to clean install Windows, which we did from a USB stick he had. This of course wiped everything, but had to be done. I then went through the lengthy procedure of him downloading drivers for me and installing them on my machine, and eventually I got to the stage of being able to install programmes I needed..Thankfully I'd not yet deleted any of the 100's of photos from the flashcards for the camera so I didn't have a complete breakdown.

When I had spoken to the agents on the phone I was told by one of the managers that they were fielding thousands of calls (hence the long wait to talk to anyone) from a lot of people who had had screwed up computers and he wasn't best pleased as (in his words) "The developers have written this with little thought to how it will be received" which I though remarkably candid.  I've since read on MS's own forum that many have had completely trashed machines including fried mother boards but many others have spent several dozens of dollars getting things back to a working machine.

I then went online and asked a MS guru to help me put in the update that had screwed up my laptop, and he told me something (after I had let him remote access) that was never mentioned before the update..The screw up occurred because the BIOS hadn't been updated. After accessing it, he then went through installing the update but I noticed he changed certain things already there from the clean install which I couldn't possibly have known about needing. It installed okay but I'm still not satisfied with things since then.

It crashes randomly, it is dog slow and hangs regularly (I regularly clear temp files etc), and is just not the same as it was. I have since the episode turned off updates because I simply don't trust things to be any better. MS have no interest in doing anything else but push out updates they have no interest in knowing if they work or not. The argument is that there are so many different configurations of computer they can't possible keep up and make sure they all work, but that isn't a valid excuse. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

When you mention the initial blow up and the subsequent speed issues and just general malaise after it was all resolved, this also sounds to me like a potential hard drive issue.  During a major update, it's possible the update could be requiring the drive to read from areas of the physical disk that are failing and/or attempting to write to areas of the disk that are degraded.  In either case, you could come out the other side of that mess with a real problem on your hands.  I'd recommend you try cloning the drive to a nice new solid state drive and see how that goes for you from that point forward.  They're ridiculously cheap these days (240GB for about 32 dollars), and many of them come with disk cloning software.  If you need the software, let me know and I can send you a CD image of something that'll work great.

When machines come through my office with the issues you described, in eight out of ten cases, the hard drive contains unreadable sectors (which means it's degrading and needs to be replaced).

Google owns more hard drives than just about any other entity on the planet.  They did a company wide assessment of hard drive life and found that the first month of a drive's life is the really crucial "probationary period" where, if they make it through that month, they'll probably make it for a few years after.  Then, when they hit the two year mark, they begin failing at a rate of 5% per year.  Google declined to state which brand was the most reliable (but I suspect it was Western Digital, not Seagate).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 05, 2019, 03:21:13 PM

That's odd you'd feel that way, because XP was the version of Windows that gave Mac users their (undeserved in 2019) sense of superiority.

Jojo

Chrome is going pretty well so far.  I guess the big/bad issues were with Edge, then, not W10.  Yay!

Jojo

Wait.  No.  Chrome won't delete my cookies or history in any reasonable amount of time.  It's faster to uninstall and re-install than to clear the cache!  Absurd.

Quote from: Liberace! on May 07, 2019, 12:19:59 AM
When you mention the initial blow up and the subsequent speed issues and just general malaise after it was all resolved, this also sounds to me like a potential hard drive issue.  During a major update, it's possible the update could be requiring the drive to read from areas of the physical disk that are failing and/or attempting to write to areas of the disk that are degraded.  In either case, you could come out the other side of that mess with a real problem on your hands.  I'd recommend you try cloning the drive to a nice new solid state drive and see how that goes for you from that point forward.  They're ridiculously cheap these days (240GB for about 32 dollars), and many of them come with disk cloning software.  If you need the software, let me know and I can send you a CD image of something that'll work great.

When machines come through my office with the issues you described, in eight out of ten cases, the hard drive contains unreadable sectors (which means it's degrading and needs to be replaced).

Google owns more hard drives than just about any other entity on the planet.  They did a company wide assessment of hard drive life and found that the first month of a drive's life is the really crucial "probationary period" where, if they make it through that month, they'll probably make it for a few years after.  Then, when they hit the two year mark, they begin failing at a rate of 5% per year.  Google declined to state which brand was the most reliable (but I suspect it was Western Digital, not Seagate).

Those kind of studies are like porn to me.  Did Google publish anything about SSDs?  The trajectory seems to be them replacing disk drives somewhere down the road, but I recall the joke about gallium arsinide being the future of semiconductors -- always has been, always will be.  If Google isn't doing the same kind of study on SSDs, that would be interesting indeed.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 09, 2019, 02:40:54 AM
Those kind of studies are like porn to me.  Did Google publish anything about SSDs?  The trajectory seems to be them replacing disk drives somewhere down the road, but I recall the joke about gallium arsinide being the future of semiconductors -- always has been, always will be.  If Google isn't doing the same kind of study on SSDs, that would be interesting indeed.

Who let the Flip back in? This one's more of an expert on STDs than SSDs anyway.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 09, 2019, 02:57:19 AM
Who let the Flip back in? This one's more of an expert on STDs than SSDs anyway.

The Band's getting back together!   O'Neill is next and the maybe *gasp*    FearBoysWithBugs.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 09, 2019, 05:41:39 AM
The Band's getting back together!   O'Neill is next and the maybe *gasp*    FearBoysWithBugs.

That was DPS. You'd have known that if you'd paid attention instead of sitting at the back of the class, doodling and playing with yourself.