• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

pate

Quote from: Juan on July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM
I don't plan to upgrade for several months, but I'd love to hear comments - good or bad - from earlier adopters.

Basically just awesome!

While I wait for it to load up I enjoy that the flash-POS plays this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odaJvMzycDg

Nothing like the original...

Lilith

Quote from: pate on August 11, 2017, 01:33:15 AM
Basically just awesome!

While I wait for it to load up I enjoy that the flash-POS plays this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odaJvMzycDg

Nothing like the original...

You're so lucky!  I wish mine did that.

cweb

Quote from: Dyna-X on August 08, 2017, 11:07:48 PM
Update: The classic MSPaint has been saved!
http://observer.com/2017/07/microsoft-paint-saved-by-fans/

In addition, it will remain intact in the Fall Creators Update.
...until they find some ages-old security flaw that allows a hacker to remotely use Paint to cause your computer to explode.

"Security analysts have found that if you use the spray can with a color hash of #FEFEFE your RAM may ignite."

Kidding. (Maybe.)

Jackstar

It's been so long, I don't remember when this shitty operating system came out, but today I'm forced to use it, as somebody I know has one--they asked me to work on it.

I hope Bill Gates dies in a fucking fire.

Jackstar

Quote from: Ms. C on July 29, 2015, 06:50:46 PM
Will Microsoft eventually force everyone to upgrade to Windows 10? 

YES

endless weeping

Jackstar

WHERE IS DEVICE MANAGER HOLY FUCKING SHIT STAB STAB STAB

Jackstar

edit: EAT SHIT, CORTANA

Catsmile

Quote from: Jackstar on January 20, 2018, 03:01:31 PM
WHERE IS DEVICE MANAGER HOLY FUCKING SHIT STAB STAB STAB

Press the windows key on the keyboard, or left click the Windows logo on the taskbar. The Windows start menu will appear, simply type "device manager" select and left click device manager from the list. You can also use this tip to find lots of other programs in Windows 10, such as MsConfig, RegEdit.

Or RIGHT click the windows logo that resides in the left corner of the taskbar (AKA: the Start button). A popup menu will appear, select and left click device manager from the options list.

Jackstar

Quote from: Catsmile on January 20, 2018, 04:13:14 PM
simply type "device manager"

H O W C O N V E N I E N T
O
W
C
O
N
V
E
N
I
E
N
T

http://www.classicstartmenu.com/

p.s. You're bad at helping.

Catsmile

Quote from: Jackstar on January 20, 2018, 04:15:42 PM

H O W C O N V E N I E N T
O
W
C
O
N
V
E
N
I
E
N
T

http://www.classicstartmenu.com/

p.s. You're bad at helping.

Sorry you are so ungrateful for the assist, it wasn't just for you. Other folks may find it helpful.

P.S. I wouldn't have wasted my time if I were helping just you.
P.P.S At least I can deal with change unlike the autist behavior you display here.   

Jackstar

Quote from: Catsmile on January 20, 2018, 04:32:50 PM
the autist behavior you display here

You should see me in court. It's breathtaking.

Catsmile

Quote from: Jackstar on January 20, 2018, 04:37:50 PM
You should see me in court. It's breathtaking.

Trying to curry favor by wearing hot little numbers in court, again? The Judge and DAs breath is taken every time they see your moobie cleavage, no doubt.

Jack sheepishly explains to the court that he was on yet another date gone bad. The simple fact that the other person didn't know about or consent to the date isn't HIS problem.

Between your moobs and explanations you always take the courts breath, no matter the number of appearances, no doubt.   

Hot Little Number 9?

Jackstar

No, I quote obscure precedents that force them to look shit up in books. I'm batting about 50/50, but 100% satisfied.

cweb

Quote from: Catsmile on January 20, 2018, 04:13:14 PM
Or RIGHT click the windows logo that resides in the left corner of the taskbar (AKA: the Start button). A popup menu will appear, select and left click device manager from the options list.
You can also use Windows+X to access this menu

Juan

I'm thinking about building a computer for use only for music production. I will not have it connected to the internet. Will Win10 allow me to operate without an internet connection?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Juan on February 13, 2018, 08:52:11 AM
I'm thinking about building a computer for use only for music production. I will not have it connected to the internet. Will Win10 allow me to operate without an internet connection?

yes.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on February 13, 2018, 08:52:11 AM

What DAW software are you using?

Juan

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 13, 2018, 02:56:55 PM
What DAW software are you using?
I have Cakewalk Sonar, which Gibson just orphaned. Bastards. Now I'm glad Obama had them raided.
I guess in the future I'll just use my Overture notation software. It sends midi control signals and recognizes all the plug in synths that Sonar does.  I really don't want to buy Pro Tools.
Maybe I'll just stay with Win 7, too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on February 13, 2018, 08:26:03 PM
I have Cakewalk Sonar, which Gibson just orphaned. Bastards. Now I'm glad Obama had them raided.
I guess in the future I'll just use my Overture notation software. It sends midi control signals and recognizes all the plug in synths that Sonar does.  I really don't want to buy Pro Tools.
Maybe I'll just stay with Win 7, too.

The O admin didn't seem to like rosewood fretboards. I guess they were more into maple. ;)

I mainly used PT back when I was into that scene; although I've found Garageband to be quite powerful and flexible too. People in audio tend to dismiss it as a toy or something but if I was just trying to write songs and construct a demo that's what I'd use and then maybe switch to PT or Logic for the final mix/master. Why don't you just use the full install of Cubase? It's my understanding that Cakewalk is just a sort of light version of it. Sounds like you're a keyboard player, right?

Juan

I’m actually a horn player who can push down a piano key occasionally. I use a Yamaha WX-7 wind controller for an input device, too. I never liked Cubase. I’ll just download all of my Sonar files while they’re still on the server and reinstall them on a new computer.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on February 14, 2018, 04:53:28 AM
I’m actually a horn player who can push down a piano key occasionally. I use a Yamaha WX-7 wind controller for an input device, too. I never liked Cubase. I’ll just download all of my Sonar files while they’re still on the server and reinstall them on a new computer.

Hey, whatever works for you is the way to go. Horn as in trumpet? You're like me with keyboards. I couldn't perform a song all the way through in front of you but given enough takes and tracks I can make you think that I could. I remember playing something I recorded for a friend who is a piano teacher and she thought I was punking here or something. Even after I explained how I did it to her she still looked like she didn't quite believe me. :D

Darth Vader

ubuntu is better then Windows and Apple.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 14, 2018, 10:18:52 PM
Until 2038

As 2038 approaches, 38 year old memories of Art Bell circa 1999 will abound. I'll be old.

Juan

Quote from: Darth Vader on February 14, 2018, 10:02:49 PM
ubuntu is better then Windows and Apple.
I’d be happy to use It if I knew how to get my music programs to run under it. I mean specifically, not just use WINE. Any suggestions for a book or website?

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 14, 2018, 06:40:10 AM
Hey, whatever works for you is the way to go. Horn as in trumpet? You're like me with keyboards. I couldn't perform a song all the way through in front of you but given enough takes and tracks I can make you think that I could. I remember playing something I recorded for a friend who is a piano teacher and she thought I was punking here or something. Even after I explained how I did it to her she still looked like she didn't quite believe me. :D
You are very intuitive.

Can you post a relaxing guitar solo in the music thread for us?

DOES ANYONE KNOW what happened to the "inspect element" feature in Internet Explorer on Windows 10?  Google gave me no answer.  Maybe I used wrong search words?

Fourteen

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 14 on June 18, 2018, 12:51:50 AM
You are very intuitive.

Can you post a relaxing guitar solo in the music thread for us?

DOES ANYONE KNOW what happened to the "inspect element" feature in Internet Explorer on Windows 10?  Google gave me no answer.  Maybe I used wrong search words?

Fourteen

No.

Quote from: Juan on February 15, 2018, 04:59:22 AM
I’d be happy to use It if I knew how to get my music programs to run under it. I mean specifically, not just use WINE. Any suggestions for a book or website?

Take a look at these:

http://io.gnu.linux.free.fr/ 
It's a live disc, so you can either run it from a CD/DVD, USB, or install it.
============================================================
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Documentation:Manual:kxstudio_introduction

This one looks pretty cool too. Same as above, you can run it live or install it.

=====================================================
I've stopped recommending Ubuntu to friends, due to the fact that it's pulling an M$ and phoning home file locations to Canonical ever since version 14.09, and then they went the systemd route too.
(This is why I won't recommend Ubuntu Studio - but you can check it out if you like.)  ;)

BUT, KXStudio is using 14.04 so you'll be okay if you decide  to go with it.

I haven't used either of these. The thing with linux and sound systems, is you have to make sure your hardware is compatible with the operating system.
I would recommend downloading both of these distros, (if you can afford the bandwidth,) burning them to DVD or flash drive, and running them live. That way you can see if there are any hardware incompatibilities without having to install the OS.
(Just burn them to dvd or flash drive, pop them in your dvd player or USB port (ask Hoagy where that is - heh, heh, heh) and fire up the computer. Check your bios to make sure the boot order is USB, CD/DVD, and then HDD, first though. )

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Documentation:Manual:downloading_and_booting_kxstudio
(1.7GB)

http://io.gnu.linux.free.fr/download.html
(This puppy is a 4GB monster)

Either one of these distro's should be able to do everything Cakewalk Sonar did, plus much more.

Most sound files from your old programs can be imported to the new system and converted if needed. Linux handles most major sound formats, plus it has a few of its own.

I hope this offers you a solution you can use.   ;)

Ediot: Here's a little more info on KXStudio and a basic explanation of JACK.
https://opensource.com/life/16/1/configuring-linux-for-music-recording-production