• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Jackstar

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on April 17, 2017, 03:41:17 PM
Cheaper Than Dirt

Hey, thanks. I've never heard of that before.

(I'm simply not invited to those kinds of parties.) Bookmarked.

trostol

anyone know...why certain programs are still listened but sort of..grayed out in the start menu

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on May 07, 2017, 11:08:23 PM
anyone know...why certain programs are still listened but sort of..grayed out in the start menu

Do you have a screenshot? If it is what I am imagining,  It usually means that they are being updated throught the Store and haven't finished.

GravitySucks

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 11:15:14 PM
Do you have a screenshot? If it is what I am imagining,  It usually means that they are being updated throught the Store and haven't finished.

If it persists, open up a cmd window and run wsreset.exe

You can google that if you want to see how it works and what it does. It doesn't hurt anything from my experience.

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 11:15:14 PM

yeah..

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on May 08, 2017, 12:05:35 AM
yeah..

I would try running wsreset.exe and see if that works or you can wait and see if MV chimes in.

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 08, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
I would try running wsreset.exe and see if that works or you can wait and see if MV chimes in.

thanks...i mean the programs still launch and all..was just wondering why some are like that

Lilith

Quote from: trostol on May 08, 2017, 12:05:35 AM
yeah..

All the icons are equally bright, so I am thinking maybe it is something in your personalization or theme settings for text.  Look in settings/Personalization/

Theres a Start selection there and themes, background colors.  look at the selections under colors as well.  Sometimes it fixes everything to turn transparencies off.  It looks like you have transparency on.  Some computers can handle transparencies better than other. It could just be that.

Juan

Microsoft has rebranded I.E. as Edge.  Is it as full of vulnerabilities as I.E. was?

Taaroa

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 08, 2017, 06:33:23 AM
Here is the definitive source. You can be the judge.
3 years with 199 vulnerabilities found - that seems worse than IE. Breakdown of categories even makes it sound worse.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on May 08, 2017, 06:49:25 AM
3 years with 199 vulnerabilities found - that seems worse than IE. Breakdown of categories even makes it sound worse.

Yep. You would think M$ would have learned their lesson with I.E. And with a browser having less functionality and less customization than I.E., could have put out a relatively bullet proof product.

But who knows how many vulnerabilities are intentional based on 3 letter agency desirements.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Juan on May 08, 2017, 06:26:23 AM
Microsoft has rebranded I.E. as Edge.  Is it as full of vulnerabilities as I.E. was?

Actually, Edge is an entirely separate and new browser. If you search for it, you'll find Win10 also includes IE.

In addition to being separate and new, Edge is also a pile of shit. MS should just stop making browsers. It's been the source of the company's problems for 20 years and there are inarguably Superior options out there.

Gd5150

Quote from: Σ> on May 08, 2017, 10:11:05 AM
MS should just stop making browsers. It's been the source of the company's problems for 20 years and there are inarguably Superior options out there.

Fixed it.

damon

Actually, Edge is an entirely separate and new browser. If you search for it, you'll find Win10 also includes IE.

In addition to being separate and new, Edge is also a pile of shit. MS should just stop making browsers. It's been the source of the company's problems for 20 years and there are inarguably Superior options out there.
Mircosoft should just install Firefox as a default browser. Generally speaking, open source programs like firefox is better because more people can fine tune the program.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Damon on May 08, 2017, 11:20:03 AM
Mircosoft should just install Firefox as a default browser. Generally speaking, open source programs like firefox is better because more people can fine tune the program.

Or Netscape. Full circle.

Kidding aside, I agree. Or at least present the user​ with a prompt that lets them select FF or Chrome.

Taaroa

Quote from: Σ> on May 08, 2017, 11:39:25 AM
Or at least present the user​ with a prompt that lets them select FF or Chrome.
I think there was a court ruling by the EU to that effect.

edit: found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp_v_Commission#Related_investigations

Amazing how much faster chrome is when you ungoogle it.

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Taaroa on May 08, 2017, 02:12:42 PM
I think there was a court ruling by the EU to that effect.

edit: found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp_v_Commission#Related_investigations

ah, yep... you're right.  i'd forgotten about that.  that's a good system.  i wonder if edge is included in the EU version of win10 regardless of which browser users choose.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 02:16:11 PM
Amazing how much faster chrome is when you ungoogle it.

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

i would use that, for sure, but it's just so nice having all of my browser stuff synced between machines at home/work/mobile.

Quote from: Σ> on May 08, 2017, 03:16:59 PM
i would use that, for sure, but it's just so nice having all of my browser stuff synced between machines at home/work/mobile.

I run Nextcloud on a vps, lets me sync passwords and bookmarks across devices with some extensions. It's not ideal yet, but close, and I like having an alternative to Drive/Dropbox that isn't run by blue haired tech commies.

trostol

Quote from: brig on May 08, 2017, 05:09:25 AM
All the icons are equally bright, so I am thinking maybe it is something in your personalization or theme settings for text.  Look in settings/Personalization/

Theres a Start selection there and themes, background colors.  look at the selections under colors as well.  Sometimes it fixes everything to turn transparencies off.  It looks like you have transparency on.  Some computers can handle transparencies better than other. It could just be that.

i checked..didn;t seem like there was anything causing it so i am at a loss lol

Quote from: trostol on May 08, 2017, 05:35:54 PM
i checked..didn;t seem like there was anything causing it so i am at a loss lol

Is your rig nvidia based for graphics?

Following up Grav's wsreset tip:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/apps-greyed-out-and-underlined-in-windows-10-start/6de03fee-ae4f-44b6-90f3-acf1e60eb0a8

There seems to be a second suggestion involving the nvidia driver.  I would doubt that's your issue but if the driver is down level you might want to update it anyways.  Some guy named Donny says that helped after the first, rather ugly, solution of wsreset and re-installing dodgy Apps

Element 115

Internet Explorer: The number one browser for downloading another browser.

trostol

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 08, 2017, 05:59:23 PM
Is your rig nvidia based for graphics?

Following up Grav's wsreset tip:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/apps-greyed-out-and-underlined-in-windows-10-start/6de03fee-ae4f-44b6-90f3-acf1e60eb0a8

There seems to be a second suggestion involving the nvidia driver.  I would doubt that's your issue but if the driver is down level you might want to update it anyways.  Some guy named Donny says that helped after the first, rather ugly, solution of wsreset and re-installing dodgy Apps

thanks for that..IT didn't fix it..but another link in that discussion did lol

Quote from: trostol on May 08, 2017, 07:52:13 PM

Bitchin'    8)

Lilith

Quote from: trostol on May 08, 2017, 07:52:13 PM

Ain't bellgab grand?  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on May 08, 2017, 07:29:29 PM
Internet Explorer: The number one browser for downloading another browser.

for sure.

sendafan2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GhostBSD

best OS to use for security and safety online. system engineer approved.