• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Thread to report pirate uploads/rebroadcasts

Started by Khameleon808, July 26, 2015, 10:41:37 AM

The General

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 01:55:51 AM
... For you to say you were going to go after pirates seems like hypocrisy to me.   For Art to say he wants to take out piracy seems like hypocrisy to me.   ...

This is pretty simple to explain.
Premiere sucks. Art doesn't.

This isn't about whether piracy in and of itself is wrong.  It has nothing to do with that, so there is no hipocracy.  This is about wanting to see Art succeed in his new venture, for the selfish reason that we like the show.  We've all been listening to pirated vintage C2C shows for years.  So what?   Art doesn't own them.  Art DOES own the new show.  If you can't tell the difference, then it's because you fail to understand simple concepts. By reporting MITD piracy, we're watching a fellow pirate's back, to help keep his pirate ship afloat.

Art IS a pirate.  So are we.  And us pirates gotta stick together.
But you rogue pirates that are pirating the NEW show are sticking a knife in Art's back.
And you suck if you're doing that.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 27, 2015, 09:46:57 AM
The shit storm I knew I was starting took a little longer to get rolling than I expected, but it picked up in intensity quickly once it did.

Coaster's post above, in large part, foot stomps my original thought on the subject.  As I said, if I listen to pirated MITD, to me it will be no different than the thousands of hours of Art's pirated C2C and DL streams I've enjoyed for the past several years.  Where did I find out about those pirated C2C/DL show streams?  Why CoastGab/BellGab, of course.  In fact references to these streams, and even the torrents, were made regularly here with almost unbounded glee.  Why?  Because we were getting to hear Art while sticking it to the MAN, and Premeir Radio.  People who pick and choose when breaking the law is ok or not depending on the material being pirated..odd.  Indeed, Coaster.

While I can accept listening to any pirated material (and I go way back, still have some of the bootleg albums I bought in the early 70s at Magnolia Thunderpussy's Music Emporium) violates the legally held intellectual property rights of some individual/corporate entity, I've never lost any sleep over it.  I would be disappointed in myself however if I decided which illegal act was wrong and which was wrong but OK as a function of the material being pirated or whose pocket the money went into.  Maybe Jackstar was right (there is, afterall, a first time for everything), maybe engineers do see everything too black and white.  I certainly do in this case.  Lawbreaker?  *raises hand*  Hypocrite?  Not on this topic....yet.

^This.

inuk2600

Quote from: The General on July 27, 2015, 12:50:29 PM

This isn't about whether piracy in and of itself is wrong.  It has nothing to do with that, so there is no hipocracy.  This is about wanting to see Art succeed in his new venture, for the selfish reason that we like the show.  We've all been listening to pirated vintage C2C shows for years.  So what?   Art doesn't own them.  Art DOES own the new show.  If you can't tell the difference, then it's because you fail to understand simple concepts. By reporting MITD piracy, we're watching a fellow pirate's back, to help keep his pirate ship afloat.

Art IS a pirate.  So are we.  And us pirates gotta stick together.
But you rogue pirates that are pirating the NEW show are sticking a knife in Art's back.

This is the simple truth of the matter.

If Art doesn't give his blessing to pirating MITD, I'm canceling my Time Traveler account and going back to listening to C2C and Mr. Nuri.

How you like them apples, eh, Art?

Hurts, don't it?

No more five bucks from Cam.

I will just step back and watch it all collapse.

Because of five bucks.

That you need.

From me.

Withheld.

And back to Nuri.

Get ready for the Great Migration back to you, George! We were temporarily lured away from your dreck by Art's quality nighttime talk radio.

Art_s Farts

I myself would refer to me as more of a swashbuckler or a picaroon rather than pirate

area51drone

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that it isn't just as wrong to pirate their stuff.

This isn't about whether piracy in and of itself is wrong.  It has nothing to do with that, so there is no hipocracy. 

It has everything to do with that, so yes there is hypocrisy.   How you can separate the two is beyond me.  We just have to agree to disagree.

This is about wanting to see Art succeed in his new venture, for the selfish reason that we like the show.  We've all been listening to pirated vintage C2C shows for years.  So what?   Art doesn't own them.  Art DOES own the new show.  If you can't tell the difference, then it's because you fail to understand simple concepts. By reporting MITD piracy, we're watching a fellow pirate's back, to help keep his pirate ship afloat.

I don't understand this mentality at all General - you want to keep a "pirate" afloat by paying for his content?   

I never said I wasn't paying for the show, #1, and #2, if you re-read my post, all I was saying is let the pirates do their thing, or better yet, circumvent them by posting it out there YOURSELF so that you can make money off ad revenue.  No one in their right mind is going to go listen to a pirated copy when they can listen to the ad supported version without having to look hard at all for it.   

Re-read my post.  Our end goals are the same - more Art, more money for Art. 

The General

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 02:43:35 PM
Agreed, but that doesn't mean that it isn't just as wrong to pirate their stuff.

No one is reporting the MITD piracy here because it is immoral or wrong or illegal.
It's a red herring, a non-sequitur, a straw man.  Do you understand?

It has everything to do with that, so yes there is hypocrisy.   How you can separate the two is beyond me.  We just have to agree to disagree.

The only thing I can agree to is that your comprehension of the situation is lacking.

I don't understand this mentality at all General - you want to keep a "pirate" afloat by paying for his content?
Yes, because he happens to be my favorite pirate.  It's not about whether or not piracy is wrong.  So not only am I willing to pay the $5, but I will also be reporting those that are pirating his show.   

I never said I wasn't paying for the show

And I never said you weren't.

if you re-read my post, all I was saying is let the pirates do their thing, or better yet, circumvent them by posting it out there YOURSELF so that you can make money off ad revenue.  No one in their right mind is going to go listen to a pirated copy when they can listen to the ad supported version without having to look hard at all for it.   

Re-read my post.  Our end goals are the same - more Art, more money for Art.

Maybe you missed this, which is key, but Art ASKED for our (Bellgab's) cooperation in reporting MITD pirates.  That's the whole reason for this.  If Art said, "never mind, MITD piracy is ok,"  we would stop reporting the piracy.  This is, of course, an effort to discourage piracy and encourage participation in the Time Traveler subscription program.  You can't seriously be dumb enough to misunderstand how clearly I've laid it our for you... so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and I assume you are just trolling me for your own entertainment.

The General

From Art earlier this year...

Quote from: Art Bell on April 16, 2015, 03:59:25 PM
Ok guys here is some not such great news, we are going to have to cap the live listener number to between 65-70 thousand. The reason for this is easy, the stupid music. If we go over that it gets mind numbing expensive, I am not saying impossible but very expensive if we knock ourselves out of the small Webcaster catagory. So I guess it will be first come first served and we will not open the big bandwidth doors until 9PM P.T.

Now if somebody picked up our stream and sent it out from some far flung overseas place, well hmmm not much we could do about that, right?

We do want tight control of the Podcast, we are ready for volunteers, if you would like to help please contact Keith at kr@rowlandnet.com and help us with Podcast Pirates (mostly utube)

All of this may not be a problem anyway, I might be lucky to scare up 10,000 . We shall see

Art

Quote from: Art Bell on April 21, 2015, 10:07:46 PM
As far as Pirates are concerned John (Caravan) had a big problem with them and hired a guy and gave him a company email addy, after taking them down day after day the problem got less and less. That's why I think we can do the same thing, the main problem is going to be UTube. On there it's 3 strikes then your account is trashed.

My guess is you all will be really good at that. Lol. It takes one to catch one, right?

Art

area51drone

Quote from: The General on July 27, 2015, 03:07:07 PM
Maybe you missed this, which is key, but Art ASKED for our (Bellgab's) cooperation in reporting MITD pirates.  That's the whole reason for this.  If Art said, "never mind, MITD piracy is ok,"  we would stop reporting the piracy.  This is, of course, an effort to discourage piracy and encourage participation in the Time Traveler subscription program.  You can't seriously be dumb enough to misunderstand how clearly I've laid it our for you... so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and I assume you are just trolling me for your own entertainment.

Maybe you missed my point - which is key - that is, Art is stupid for trying to stop piracy or asking us all to report it for him.   That's all I'm trying to point out here.   He can do whatever he wants, I don't really care, I enjoy Art and will support him - but I'm not going to waste my time reporting pirates for his benefit when I don't agree that it's to his benefit. 

Regardless of that though, technically piracy is wrong and illegal in all cases, not just Art's.  You can't separate the two and if you do, you are truly misguided or in this case, delusional.   

Whether or not it bugs you to be a pirate of whatever content is of no concern of mine.  I could care less.. even if it was my own stuff and I was in Art's shoes.

I'm not speaking about you General, but to bellgab in whole, I would hope just because Art asks someone to drink some kool-aid,  people would ask "why" before doing so.   Art is not always right, and not always bright.    He's a great talk show host but a terrible business man, from my perspective.   I'm not saying I'm a great business man myself, but jesus christ, he could be making better decisions.

The General

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 03:51:28 PM
Maybe you missed my point - which is key - that is, Art is stupid for trying to stop piracy or asking us all to report it for him.   ...

This is still simple.
Either Art is stupid or you are.
I'll let you guess as to which one I believe.

area51drone

Quote from: The General on July 27, 2015, 03:55:17 PM
This is still simple.

Clearly! :)   You are welcome to your beliefs.  No hard feelings.

Jackstar

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 02:38:25 AM
Showing my age here but when I see U7, I think of Ultima 7. I'm not sure about the whole music rights thing

WhiteCrow

Quote from: The General on July 27, 2015, 03:55:17 PM
This is still simple.

Please define stupid... I was just called stupid over in the Falkie thread.

If a stupid person calls a stupid person stupid, is one smarter than the other?
How about, if smart person calls a stupid person stupid, is the smart person stupid for doing so?
Or, if a smart person acts stupid and the stupid person calls the smart person stupid, which one is really stupid?

Catsmile

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 01:55:51 AM
Plenty of us have supported him by subscribing.   For you to say you were going to go after pirates seems like hypocrisy to me.   For Art to say he wants to take out piracy seems like hypocrisy to me.    Like it or not, some part of the fact that bellgab is popular is because these old shows are floating around.   You weren't sand papering my butt, you were inviting people to go pirate stuff just so they can say "fuck you."

Secondly, throwing an insult my way and ignoring the meat of my post is exactly why Art should have never had you on as a guest host. 

She ignorez the meat of my post too. Won't sandpaper my butt. Refuses to insult me. I've tried repeatedly. Count yourself lucky, she threw you a bone, and insulted you. :P

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 27, 2015, 06:50:56 PM
Please define stupid... I was just called stupid over in the Falkie thread.

If a stupid person calls a stupid person stupid, is one smarter than the other?
How about, if smart person calls a stupid person stupid, is the smart person stupid for doing so?
Or, if a smart person acts stupid and the stupid person calls the smart person stupid, which one is really stupid?

albrecht

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 27, 2015, 08:21:29 PM

Hahaha. Classic. I forgot how red-faced he was, back then. The cocaine or just the high blood-pressure?

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 08:54:17 AM
Let's see, it's alright for you to call up the gabcast and scream obscenities at Noory for being a bad radio host but it's not okay for me to (relatively) politely say Keith Rowland isn't much of a webmaster.    I get it now, we live in opposite world.

You have no basis for your argument. You think Keith Rowland does a less than minimum wage job. He stated he pretty much lives in the studio trying to run DMDN. We do not even know if Keith is even making any money from this. Yet, you go out and claim he is getting rich off of Art Bell. You must be stupid.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 02:23:59 AM
It does seem a bit rich having this here when on the same page there is a Ultimate Art Bell torrent with pirated stuff from Premier.

the difference, as i see it, is in the fact that art has no financial stake in those old shows, as they're owned by premiere radio.  art gains nothing through the legitimate distribution of those shows, and he loses nothing through their piracy.  thus, as an art bell fan, the piracy of those old shows causes me to lose zero sleep.  i don't care at all about premiere radio's interests or the company's wishes.  nobody around here does.

we all want art's new show to succeed financially.  some disagree on the best way to fight piracy or if it should even be fought at all, and there are valid opinions on both sides of that discussion... but i think you're wrong to say anyone who pirated those old shows should have no opinion on the piracy of MITD. 

Echo

If Art is doing this new show for the enjoyment (like he said), he should monetize the past shows on youtube and allow people to download them for free. He can or someone else can for him setup a free archive using dropbox or google drive that allows people to download without having to register an account.   

I think Art can do much better without Keith. Keith is clueless on how to make a quality archive for people to listen to, Keith thinks people like the sound of a reel-to-reel tape recorder being fast forwarded between breaks. Do we see any podcast or radio stations adding annoying sounds like that to past shows that we can download 100% free.

I would just sell commercial slots and tell people to have at it sharing and making public archives of past shows. That would do a lot spread the word about Art new show.

Off to listen to C2CAM

Echo

Quote from: MV on July 27, 2015, 11:10:54 PM
the difference, as i see it, is in the fact that art has no financial stake in those old shows, as they're owned by premiere radio.  art gains nothing through the legitimate distribution of those shows, and he loses nothing through their piracy.  thus, as an art bell fan, the piracy of those old shows causes me to lose zero sleep.  i don't care at all about premiere radio's interests or the company's wishes.  nobody around here does.

we all want art's new show to succeed financially.  some disagree on the best way to fight piracy or if it should even be fought at all, and there are valid opinions on both sides of that discussion... but i think you're wrong to say anyone who pirated those old shows should have no opinion on the piracy of MITD.

If Art wasn't showing this place one ounce of attention, i bet you would feel different.

If Art new show can't succeed with the past shows being on youtube etc, he needs to find a new business model. He should be demanding commercial slots from all the affiliates he signs up, he can sell his own ads instead of having corny dark matter news. Allow listeners to donate, work out an affiliate program with online retailers like Amazon.

Most of us on here refused to pay Premier "pennies a day" to access past C2CAM shows. I see no reason to change that to listen to past MiTD past shows. A penny saved is a penny earned.  :P

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Echo on July 28, 2015, 12:31:56 AM
If Art wasn't showing this place one ounce of attention, i bet you would feel different.

Think what you want. Makes me no difference.

Quote from: Echo on July 28, 2015, 12:31:56 AM

Most of us on here refused to pay Premier "pennies a day" to access past C2CAM shows. I see no reason to change that to listen to past MiTD past shows.

Because the continuation of MITD is dependent on subscribers. That should be reason enough.

paladin1991

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 01:42:58 AM
+1    I was shocked when Redacted said she and others from bellgab were going to go out and be Art's army against piracy, and even more shocked to hear former pirate himself Art say he was going to have the producer actively try to take stuff down.  This seems like such a waste of time and such hypocrisy considering she probably gladly stole premier's shows for years and never felt  one bit of guilt over it.    Even if she didn't, the VAST majority of us here have been.   I support Art and he can do what he wants, but I think he is better off letting piracy go rampant and offering value adds as albrecht suggested.   How about 1 on 1 chats every month like that other program - but god forbid you copy C2C's ideas though, right?   How about  releasing week or month-old programs to youtube yourself so that you build a big subscriber base on youtube and add ads to the channel so it is another revenue stream?   Promote the hell out of being a time traveler on the youtube slots.    How about creating the After Dark newsletter again in digital form, and releasing that for subscribers?   Throw last night's shows up on itunes for downloading at a buck a piece as another revenue stream and so being a subscriber looks like a great deal and offers a non-piracy option for those who missed the show last night.    I'm sure there are a million other ideas people can come up with that are better than trying to stop something that the RIAA with its millions could never do.

Another point - I know $5 isn't that much now a days.  But in this day and age, people are cord cutting like crazy - and when they see entertainment like Netflix available for $8/mo that you get to download a myriad of shows with 10,000x the bandwidth of what a month's worth of Art Bell programs are, subscriptions to Art Bell seem like only a die hard fan option.  If I were Art, I think I would offer a yearly subscription for $20 so that you're deeply undercutting that other show and making them look like a bunch of butt fuckers.   When people have and hear about the option of buying their paranormal talk at a discounted rate for a much better show, they will probably drop their C2C subs and join in with Art.    Assuming Art is reading this - as good as you are, Art, you are still fighting a battle against a huge amount of other entertainment options which are becoming increasingly cheap or free.    Don't make the mistake of putting people off by paying for your program.   There are some podcasts out there that make millions in ad revenue that charge nothing for the podcast at all.

*checks ass*  What other show?

Jackstar

I saw a bunch of people ignoring my point and a whole lot of duplicated pictures of Bill Clinton so here's this:

Has anyone been to that site? It doesn't look like something I'd be interested in.

area51drone

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 27, 2015, 10:31:20 PM
You have no basis for your argument. You think Keith Rowland does a less than minimum wage job. He stated he pretty much lives in the studio trying to run DMDN. We do not even know if Keith is even making any money from this. Yet, you go out and claim he is getting rich off of Art Bell. You must be stupid.

I said he's been riding the coat tails of Art and I don't think he deserves any money.  Big difference between saying he's getting rich.    Someone else posted that they're pulling in $25k/mo, maybe you had me confused with that person.    I don't give a shit if Keith runs DMDN from the can because he can't figure out how to automate things or figure out how to make it run more smoothly.   I'm not going to post here telling him how to do his "job" or make suggestions on how he could do it better.   I've already given enough information to Art to improve his business which indirectly, and unfortunately, benefits KR.     

You can call me stupid if you want, but the fact remains that you completely made an ass out of yourself by calling in to the gabcast and screaming at Noory for no reason.   It's one thing to make an argument and swear during the course of it, but you didn't even bother you just went off on the man.   There are a lot of people here who agree with exactly what I'm saying in regards to both Art and Keith but they aren't speaking up for fear of getting attacked by the likes of you.   I don't give a shit and you can make your baseless, worthless comments at me all you want.