• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Thread to report pirate uploads/rebroadcasts

Started by Khameleon808, July 26, 2015, 10:41:37 AM

Heather Wade

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 27, 2015, 02:51:10 AM
Just a thought but Art should do a 30-second spot each show for subscribing to MITD. Maybe do it live in the middle of the show or during the opening so pirates can't cut it. Maybe even throw a tongue in cheek reference/joke addressing piracy? With all the different ways to get MITD and all the different mediums broadcasting it live, I think it would be good to constantly reinforce and raise consciousness of the pay model and how cheap it is. I don't think I've heard Art mention once the subscription model or how to get it on MITD. Not only would that encourage pirates to pay but all the people catching him on TuneIn, radio or through Piracy will be aware of how to get his show and how cheap it is.

Seems to me that'd be more advantageous than having that GODDAMN SCREAMING WOMAN four or five times a show.

He may not have mentioned piracy, but there are regular ads for Time Traveler subs throughout the show. 

SaucyRossy

Quote from: coaster on July 27, 2015, 02:54:09 AM
Many people here spent two years listening to pirated Art Bell while awaiting his return. Just think about that.

That has nothing to do with the present situation of trying to make sure the show has enough operating money to stay on the air.

coaster

Point fingers with one hand while pirating with the other. Quite silly. Anywho zzzzz...

area51drone

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 27, 2015, 02:35:39 AM
Have you operated a business, or created and held on to wealth?

What you're suggesting sounds great in theory but Art has a family to take care of and he doesn't owe any of us anything. The show is already FREE. By all means any non lazy person could set up there own recording of the show's while they are live and keep them privately. But to suggest that he make it free for fans to access content ON DEMAND, which is what ALL content creators ask people to pay for, is ludicrous.

You have no clue how much the operating cost of the network is, none of us do. Art and Keith have said they don't want it to get too big too fast, and Art has also said he isn't doing this for the money, which I guarantee he could've gone to a terrestrial source and gotten 10x out the gate what they are probably pulling in on these initial time traveller sign ups.

So, no, you didn't make a good suggestion, you didn't even make a realistic one, and you're idea makes you just as bad as the guy you hate on all the time who also demands stuff for free.

You fool.  MV streams and hosts his shows for free to the public.   If he can do it, a multi-millionaire top tier radio host can do it.   Art has repeatedly said he isn't in it for the money, which I believe, but it doesn't cost a lot to just do it.   I don't believe that Art is trying to "start small."   Starting small is doing what MV did years ago, and it takes very little.    Besides all of this, Art already has a couple of advertisers, that should be more than enough to pay bandwidth and music royalty (streaming) costs.   I have a very hard time believing that music costs are as high as everyone is claiming.  Anyone who bothers can go look and see that the opening cost to stream 24/7 music is about $300/year.    I'm sure it's more if you have more listeners, but it doesn't get exponentially more expensive.   The streaming part is probably more expensive, but again, not un-doable for someone in Art's position.   Until Art lists out all the costs, I will not believe that he cannot do this without $5/mo from a ton of subscribers.

SaucyRossy

Here's a very easy and pain free solution to people that don't want to spend an extra 5 bucks a month.

USE BING REWARDS

Even if you use it casually you will most likely earn enough points to redeem 10 bucks worth of giftcards to your choice of Amazon, Burger King, Chipotle, Dominos, Starbucks, Skype, Hulu, etc.

It will not only offset the cost of a time traveller membership but make you an extra 5 bucks a month.

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards-g?FORM=MM0AQY&PUBL=GOOGLE&CREA=MM0AQY&ef_id=VaYDxQAABH1yvAbv:20150727085027:s

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 02:54:26 AM
He may not have mentioned piracy, but there are regular ads for Time Traveler subs throughout the show.

Oh? I think I block out everything that isn't either really awesome or really annoying. I'll pay more attention for those next time.

I hear that screaming lady breathing into her headset in my nightmares now.

area51drone

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 27, 2015, 02:59:13 AM
Here's a very easy and pain free solution to people that don't want to spend an extra 5 bucks a month.

USE BING REWARDS

Even if you use it casually you will most likely earn enough points to redeem 10 bucks worth of giftcards to your choice of Amazon, Burger King, Chipotle, Dominos, Starbucks, Skype, Hulu, etc.

It will not only offset the cost of a time traveller membership but make you an extra 5 bucks a month.

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards-g?FORM=MM0AQY&PUBL=GOOGLE&CREA=MM0AQY&ef_id=VaYDxQAABH1yvAbv:20150727085027:s

Is that your reference ID in there, Saucy?  Trying to get some extra points when others reach silver status?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 02:57:29 AM
You fool.  MV streams and hosts his shows for free to the public.   If he can do it, a multi-millionaire top tier radio host can do it.   Art has repeatedly said he isn't in it for the money, which I believe, but it doesn't cost a lot to just do it.   I don't believe that Art is trying to "start small."   Starting small is doing what MV did years ago, and it takes very little.    Besides all of this, Art already has a couple of advertisers, that should be more than enough to pay bandwidth and music royalty (streaming) costs.   I have a very hard time believing that music costs are as high as everyone is claiming.  Anyone who bothers can go look and see that the opening cost to stream 24/7 music is about $300/year.    I'm sure it's more if you have more listeners, but it doesn't get exponentially more expensive.

I'm done with you. You're so obviously talking out your butt.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 03:00:22 AM
Is that your reference ID in there, Saucy?  Trying to get some extra points when others reach silver status?

Nope, it's a google search link, I posted that so people like you wouldn't suggest i'm looking for a measely few extra points when I am actually offering a real solution.

area51drone

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 27, 2015, 03:00:33 AM
I'm done with you. You're so obviously talking out your butt.

LOL, whatever dude.  Fearlessjay was right.. you're just a big old grump.

Heather Wade

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 03:03:49 AM
LOL, whatever dude.  Fearlessjay was right.. you're just a big old grump.

He's offering a solution to those that can't pay... ?  It's 5 bucks!  Are we really having this discussion over 5 bucks?

area51drone

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 02:54:26 AM
there are regular ads for Time Traveler subs throughout the show.

And I have zero problem with that.   Honestly, if there were twice as many ads and the program was 100% free and released on youtube every day, I would have no problem with that at all.   

With that said, his ads for subbing are pretty bad, IMO. 

Bad Grandma

I heard somewhere (Gabcast?) a guestimate of 5000 subscribers already. Let's start with that number. That $25,000 grand a month. Is Art's internet/phone/song licensing that much per month? Per year? Is Keith's circa-1997 web design and operation worth $25,000 per month? I wonder what amount of interest Art makes per month on his savings and investments? Do you suppose all of his property is already paid off? Is he making a profit on the new show yet? Does he deserve to? Do the "pirates" make any profit from spreading the show "illegally"? Does Art benefit from more people hearing his show, regardless of the delivery?

Just some bullshit to ponder while waiting for The Kill Shot.

area51drone

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 03:08:53 AM
He's offering a solution to those that can't pay... ?  It's 5 bucks!  Are we really having this discussion over 5 bucks?

No, we were talking about streaming costs, that's what I was talking about.  The bing stuff was separate, and I posted about bing years ago, without, I might add, a reference id in a link. 

And no, we're not having this discussion over $5.   We're talking about $60/year and we're talking about Art vs. Netflix vs. other podcasts that are free vs. other media etc etc.    YES, you and I may be willing to pony up $5 if it's the only way for us to hear Art.  HOWEVER, most people will not!   Art will never have the program that he had in the past if he doesn't let the thing organically grow.  The best way to do that?  Let people pirate.   The money will come in time.   Some of it is already there.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Bad Grandma on July 27, 2015, 03:11:08 AM
I heard somewhere (Gabcast?) a guestimate of 5000 subscribers already. Let's start with that number. That $25,000 grand a month. Is Art's internet/phone/song licensing that much per month? Per year? Is Keith's circa-1997 web design and operation worth $25,000 per month? I wonder what amount of interest Art makes per month on his savings and investments? Do you suppose all of his property is already paid off? Is he making a profit on the new show yet? Does he deserve to? Do the "pirates" make any profit from spreading the show "illegally"? Does Art benefit from more people hearing his show, regardless of the delivery?

Just some bullshit to ponder while waiting for The Kill Shot.

That number is a GUESS and nothing more.  It's the music rights that cost so much, and I only know that because of Art's posts.

area51drone

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 03:13:03 AM
That number is a guess and nothing more.  It's the music rights that cost so much, and I only know that because of Art's posts.

But music rights aren't an issue with the mp3's, so that's kind of a mute point if we're simply talking about pirating or the alternative of releasing old shows.

Bad Grandma

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 03:13:03 AM
That number is a guess and nothing more.  It's the music rights that cost so much, and I only know that because of Art's posts.

Then Art can run an exact accounting of his music costs per month, run a Kickstarter or Patreon to cover it, problem solved. Transparent, a nice group effort, etc. I'll not hold my breath for Art to give a precise number for any of this venture, except maybe the giant three-figures a month he pays Keith to fuck everything up.

Heather Wade

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 03:12:55 AM
No, we were talking about streaming costs, that's what I was talking about.  The bing stuff was separate, and I posted about bing years ago, without, I might add, a reference id in a link. 

And no, we're not having this discussion over $5.   We're talking about $60/year and we're talking about Art vs. Netflix vs. other podcasts that are free vs. other media etc etc.    YES, you and I may be willing to pony up $5 if it's the only way for us to hear Art.  HOWEVER, most people will not!   Art will never have the program that he had in the past if he doesn't let the thing organically grow.  The best way to do that?  Let people pirate.   The money will come in time.   Some of it is already there.

Call this Friday's Open Lines and suggest it. 

;D We're arguing over speculation about an internet radio station at 2:20 AM on a Sunday Night.

Bad Grandma

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 27, 2015, 03:21:53 AM
;D We're arguing over speculation about an internet radio station at 2:20 AM on a Sunday Night.

Are you saying this is less real than crystal castles on the moon?

Quote from: Bad Grandma on July 27, 2015, 03:23:04 AM
Are you saying this is less real than crystal castles on the moon?

This is as important as Masonic Greys putting structures on the dark side of the moon.

Heather Wade

I wish we could just go outside and meditate for alien contact.  It is not my wish to argue.  Again, this is why I offered skype, so Drone could hear it in my voice that this is a friendly discussion. 

Everyone just needs to pay their $5 and be happy Art is back on the air.  Bottom line is this: without  subscribers the show will not continue.

SaucyRossy

It is BellGab after all haha

Heather Wade

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 27, 2015, 03:30:38 AM
Everyone just needs to pay their $5 and be happy Art is back on the air.  Bottom line is this: without  subscribers the show will not continue.

Six green ladies in one avatar.  You have outdone yourself, sir.

Fearlessjay

11.30 am here. Most annoying thing for me is I'd love to take part in the live threads. Tend to read them after I've listened.

area51drone

BTW, so people have an idea what this might cost Art to do..

Equipment
One time cost, decent equipment might be about $1k for what you would actually need, not counting a computer.   I'm sure Art has most of the equipment he needed already.  Whether or not he thought he needed more was something else.

Producer
I have read a producer makes about $30k/year.  Get some kid fresh out of college looking to build a name for himself? $10/hour or $20,800/year and you pay him as a contractor.
Find an intern, you might get this job done for free.

Streaming
2,400GB of streaming for $900/mo, would cover 40,000 listeners at 60MB per show.
http://streamhoster.com/live_broadcasting_streaming.html
Undoubtedly Art can save here, this was just a cursory search on the web.

Music
ASCAP music license for less than 30,000 user visits per month:  $300
Assuming it is a linear scale, let's say Art gets 100,000 visits per month, that would be $900.   

His stream is less than 40,000 as far as we know.   Who knows about the radio costs, but with my previous communications with these guys, everyone pays their own way - meaning a radio station needs to pay for what it broadcasts - NOT Art Bell.  This is why you can't go posting stuff on Youtube even if you have paid for the rights to include music in your program.

This estimate I found of his traffic says that he gets only 50k/visitors per month:

Here's another interesting stat from Google Trends:

Webmaster
And I think most of us can agree, you can hire someone to do Keith Rowland's job for less than minimum wage.
$10k/year

TOTALS
So the total costs of everything I just mentioned, to run a pretty professional operation:  $75k/year.

The next thing to figure out would be ad revenue.   Anyone want to take a shot at that?

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 03:34:57 AM
Six green ladies in one avatar.  You have outdone yourself, sir.

Indeed.  ;D

Hope Art is able to pick up some more affiliates so he will not be so dependent on subscribers to break even.

area51drone

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 27, 2015, 03:25:59 AM
I wish we could just go outside and meditate for alien contact.

"So happy to hear you say that, Redacted!"

Here's a more disturbing pic..