• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Thread to report pirate uploads/rebroadcasts

Started by Khameleon808, July 26, 2015, 10:41:37 AM

littlechris

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 01:42:58 AM
+1    I was shocked when Redacted said she and others from bellgab were going to go out and be Art's army against piracy, and even more shocked to hear former pirate himself Art say he was going to have the producer actively try to take stuff down.  This seems like such a waste of time and such hypocrisy considering she probably gladly stole premier's shows for years and never felt  one bit of guilt over it.    Even if she didn't, the VAST majority of us here have been.   I support Art and he can do what he wants, but I think he is better off letting piracy go rampant and offering value adds as albrecht suggested.   How about 1 on 1 chats every month like that other program - but god forbid you copy C2C's ideas though, right?   How about  releasing week or month-old programs to youtube yourself so that you build a big subscriber base on youtube and add ads to the channel so it is another revenue stream?   Promote the hell out of being a time traveler on the youtube slots.    How about creating the After Dark newsletter again in digital form, and releasing that for subscribers?   Throw last night's shows up on itunes for downloading at a buck a piece as another revenue stream and so being a subscriber looks like a great deal.    I'm sure there are a million other ideas people can come up with that are better than trying to stop something that the RIAA with its millions could never do.

Another point - I know $5 isn't that much now a days.  But in this day and age, people are cord cutting like crazy - and when they see entertainment like Netflix available for $8/mo that you get to download a myriad of shows with 10,000x the bandwidth of what a month's worth of Art Bell programs are, subscriptions to Art Bell seem like only a die hard fan option.  If I were Art, I think I would offer a yearly subscription for $20 so that you're deeply undercutting that other show and making them look like a bunch of butt fuckers.   When people have and hear about the option of buying their paranormal talk at a discounted rate for a much better show, they will probably drop their C2C subs and join in with Art.    Assuming Art is reading this - as good as you are, Art, you are still fighting a battle against a huge amount of other entertainment options which are becoming increasingly free or cheap.    Don't make the mistake of putting people off by paying for your program.   There are some podcasts out there that make millions in ad revenue that charge nothing for the podcast at all.

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 01:55:51 AM
Plenty of us have supported him by subscribing.   For you to say you were going to go after pirates seems like hypocrisy to me.   For Art to say he wants to take out piracy seems like hypocrisy to me.    Like it or not, some part of the fact that bellgab is popular is because these old shows are floating around.   You weren't sand papering my butt, you were inviting people to go pirate stuff just so they can say "fuck you."

Secondly, throwing an insult my way and ignoring the meat of my post is exactly why Art should have never had you on as a guest host.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 02:10:53 AM
I'm not looking for a fight either, and honestly, good for you that you got to meet Art and be on one of his shows.    That doesn't mean I have to agree that it was a good idea.   

The point of my first post is to communicate to Art that there has to be a better way.   If you took that the wrong way, I'm sorry.

Well, for now it's Art's preferred way of dealing with the issue and calling him a hypocrite because he wants to make sure they have enough money to stay operating as a business so, you know they can broadcast, does absolutely nothing to help the situation.

If you have a better idea than sending links to his producer to take them down, then by all means suggest it. 

Also, what does her visiting Art have ANYTHING to do with this conversation at hand other than you acting butthurt?

Fearlessjay

It does seem a bit rich having this here when on the same page there is a Ultimate Art Bell torrent with pirated stuff from Premier. I subscribe to Art and also download the shows because I can't listen to them without the music. Especially as unlike Coast they cut out what Art says along with the music.

coaster

Serious question.. What are people going to do if sites like u7 start streaming pirated shows? Many people here have spent countless hours listening to them. People who are listening to pirated content would never pay for the show anyway. Thats why they are listening to pirated content in the first place.

Heather Wade

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 02:10:53 AM
I'm not looking for a fight either, and honestly, good for you that you got to meet Art and be on one of his shows.    That doesn't mean I have to agree that it was a good idea.   

The point of my first post is to communicate to Art that there has to be a better way.   If you took that the wrong way, I'm sorry.

I'd never expect you to agree for the sake of being kind.  You or anyone else.  If standing up for myself was taken the wrong way, again, I apologize.  Sometimes these things don't come across so well in cold text on a screen.

Not to mention no one can do anything about torrents or file sharing networks where the bulk of pirating is happening. What's funny is the pirates are beating Keith putting out each new show only about 10-20 minutes after Art goes off the air each night. All this is doing is making it difficult for casual Art Bell fans or new people to find his new stuff on Youtube which is only hurting Art and DMRN in the long run. But give it a few a weeks, they'll be on Youtube once "the pirates sent to nail the pirates" get bored and forget about it.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 02:23:59 AM
It does seem a bit rich having this here when on the same page there is a Ultimate Art Bell torrent with pirated stuff from Premier. I subscribe to Art and also download the shows because I can't listen to them without the music. Especially as unlike Coast they cut out what Art says along with the music.

Premiere actively goes after pirated stuff and tried to take u7 down recently. So, no, it's not "a bit rich".

Art, doesn't work for premiere anymore.

area51drone

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 27, 2015, 02:21:42 AM
Well, for now it's Art's preferred way of dealing with the issue and calling him a hypocrite because he wants to make sure they have enough money to stay operating as a business so, you know they can broadcast, does absolutely nothing to help the situation.

If you have a better idea than sending links to his producer to take them down, then by all means suggest it.

I just did.   Calling a spade a spade is who I am.    Art is a multi millionaire.   He could release his program for absolutely nothing.    Doesn't want to pay much for streaming bandwith?   Limit the number of open listening slots and make people pay to get in other ones.   Doesn't want to pay for hosting old shows?     Throw them up on youtube or any of the other free podcast hosting services.     I'm not sure though that he's really paying much for streaming anyway - every day he thanks the Streaming Guys so my guess is they've come to some sort of inexpensive arrangement.    It's GREAT for them to have Art on as one of their premier streams they can brag about.

I realize he probably has to pay Doctor J some pittance of a salary.   However, even that he could farm out for free to Redacted, Jazmunda or one of the other fans who has more time than myself and who loves Art and would do it just to be part of the "in club."    (That was not a dig on you Redacted, nor on you Jaz).

area51drone

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 27, 2015, 02:28:34 AM
Premiere actively goes after pirated stuff and tried to take u7 down recently. So, no, it's not "a bit rich".

Art, doesn't work for premiere anymore.

And that is Premiere's mistake.   They feel they can get people to pay for their show for only 15 cents a day.  Got news for them...  it isn't worth 2 cents a day.   Hell, I don't even pirate his shows anymore they are so bad.   

SaucyRossy

Quote from: area51drone on July 27, 2015, 02:29:13 AM
I just did.   Calling a spade a spade is who I am.    Art is a multi millionaire.   He could release his program for absolutely nothing.    Doesn't want to pay much for streaming bandwith?   Limit the number of open slots and make people pay to get in the other ones.   Doesn't want to pay for hosting old shows?     Throw them up on youtube or any of the other free podcast hosting services.     I'm not sure though, that he's really paying for streaming anyway - every day he thanks the Streaming Guys so my guess is they've come to some sort of inexpensive arrangement.    It's GREAT for them to have Art on as one of their premier streams they can brag about.

I realize he probably has to pay Doctor J some pittance of a salary.   However, even that he could farm out for free to Redacted, Jazmunda or one of the other fans who has more time than myself and who loves Art and would do it just to be part of the "in club."    (That was not a dig on you Redacted, nor on you Jaz).

Have you operated a business, or created and held on to wealth?

What you're suggesting sounds great in theory but Art has a family to take care of and he doesn't owe any of us anything. The show is already FREE. By all means any non lazy person could set up there own recording of the show's while they are live and keep them privately. But to suggest that he make it free for fans to access content ON DEMAND, which is what ALL content creators ask people to pay for, is ludicrous.

You have no clue how much the operating cost of the network is, none of us do. Art and Keith have said they don't want it to get too big too fast, and Art has also said he isn't doing this for the money, which I guarantee he could've gone to a terrestrial source and gotten 10x out the gate what they are probably pulling in on these initial time traveller sign ups.

So, no, you didn't make a good suggestion, you didn't even make a realistic one, and you're idea makes you just as bad as the guy you hate on all the time who also demands stuff for free.

Fearlessjay

A solution for me would be a replay when I could listen to it. It's on at 4 in the morning here and just not practical. Can listen to Hoagy but subscribe to him as well so just download them when convient.

I'm not hating and I'm not trying to add negativity. I'm just a realist and someone who completely supports piracy. If it wasn't for piracy, I'd have no idea who Art Bell is. MITD is already knocking down a couple hundred thousand listeners in it's first week between online streams, podcast downloads and on terrestrial radio. You're just not stopping piracy and it's dumb to think you can with something that's already so big. They should be embracing it as it costs so little to subscribe to Art Bell and the full length shows on Youtube are just an advertisement to subscribe.

Heather Wade

It's the music rights.  That's the big expense, feel free to correct me anyone.  If supporting the new show makes me a hypocrite, ok.  I did a small amount of work on the Mega Torrent, but will still support MITD, pirate that I am.  There is no 'in club' and hate anyone to feel excluded.  Do we need to skype this out? 

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 02:35:54 AM
A solution for me would be a replay when I could listen to it. It's on at 4 in the morning here and just not practical. Can listen to Hoagy but subscribe to him as well so just download them when convient.

Do you have any experience with computers? You could set it up to record the show for you nightly, hell you could buy a product from CC Crane that could do it also....but yeah, let's just have Art replay the show at the most optimal time for you personally.

Fearlessjay

Showing my age here but when I see U7, I think of Ultima 7. I'm not sure about the whole music rights thing, John B played a Beatles song the other night and it's on the podcast. Unless he's breaking the law not sure how that's been allowed.

coaster

People who pick and choose when breaking the law is ok or not depending on the material being pirated..odd. If you like Art become a time traveler. I did. That should be enough.

Fearlessjay

Wow Saucy, maybe you should change your name to grumpy. These shows do tend to be replayed, helps them get better audience. What a lovely welcoming community. Makes me glad to support Art.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 27, 2015, 02:36:19 AM
I'm not hating and I'm not trying to add negativity. I'm just a realist and someone who completely supports piracy. If it wasn't for piracy, I'd have no idea who Art Bell is. MITD is already knocking down a couple hundred thousand listeners in it's first week between online streams, podcast downloads and on terrestrial radio. You're just not stopping piracy and it's dumb to think you can with something that's already so big. They should be embracing it as it costs so little to subscribe to Art Bell and the full length shows on Youtube are just an advertisement to subscribe.

It's not about stopping piracy, it's about converting the people like you who found the show through those means into paying supporters of the show so it can continue on.

I agree, piracy has it's benefits, content that most people would never know about gets seen or heard, but to continue to want it for free instead of supporting the show to make sure it can keep broadcasting doesn't make any sense to me.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 02:40:00 AM
Wow Saucy, maybe you should change your name to grumpy. These shows do tend to be replayed, helps them get better audience. What a lovely welcoming community. Makes me glad to support Art.

Art doesn't call us vaguely loveable for nothing.

Seriously though, it's rather easy to record the show on your own. PM me if you need help

Fearlessjay

I'll probably try it out, problem is my PC is quite loud and mrs doesn't like me leaving it on night. Should be better now then, Summer just tends to make it sound like a X-Wing.

A lot of people don't know how or won't use torrent sites. Keeping the shows off Youtube will mean more subscribers for Art.
Art/keith should looking into releasing the shows on Youtube with ads after a period of time, as an additional source of revenue.
Putting them on Itunes for 99 cents is also a good idea.

Heather Wade

It's free to listen live.  The sub is 5 bucks.  Report links, or not, your choice. 

coaster

quote author=SaucyRossy link=topic=8271.msg445078#msg445078 date=1437986416]
It's not about stopping piracy, it's about converting the people like you who found the show through those means into paying supporters of the show so it can continue on.

I agree, piracy has it's benefits, content that most people would never know about gets seen or heard, but to continue to want it for free instead of supporting the show to make sure it can keep broadcasting doesn't make any sense to me.
[/quote]
You know I love ya, but didnt you make some promo videos for Art's show? Did the photographers who's images you used get paid? There were a lot of promo videos with a lot of really great stock images I am assuming came from google searches without the owners consent. Folks here post a lot of music videos as well. This is what I am talking about. I dont really support piracy. Im just saying this thread is pretty damn hypocritical. I also hope Art doesnt lose a penny. But I doubt he will from piracy. Pirates dont pay for shit. They wont change their minds either.

Fearlessjay

Youtube isn't a bad idea. Was surprised to see Caravan to Midnight on there. My problem with it is I go on there for 15 mins, then you see coming up next is O'Reilly vs Jon Stewart, or Neil DeGrass Tyson vs Brian Greene and a few hours has passed. Good for exposure.

Heather Wade

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 27, 2015, 02:43:16 AM
Art doesn't call us vaguely loveable for nothing.

Seriously though, it's rather easy to record the show on your own. PM me if you need help

And vicious.   ;D 

Just a thought but Art should do a 30-second spot each show for subscribing to MITD. Maybe do it live in the middle of the show or during the opening so pirates can't cut it. Maybe even throw a tongue in cheek reference/joke addressing piracy? With all the different ways to get MITD and all the different mediums broadcasting it live, I think it would be good to constantly reinforce and raise consciousness of the pay model and how cheap it is. I don't think I've heard Art mention once the subscription model or how to get it on MITD. Not only would that encourage pirates to pay but all the people catching him on TuneIn, radio or through Piracy will be aware of how to get his show and how cheap it is.

Seems to me that'd be more advantageous than having that GODDAMN SCREAMING WOMAN four or five times a show.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 27, 2015, 02:45:56 AM
A lot of people don't know how or won't use torrent sites. Keeping the shows off Youtube will mean more subscribers for Art.
Art/keith should looking into releasing the shows on Youtube with ads after a period of time, as an additional source of revenue.

That's a great idea, they should pirate their own material once it becomes old enough.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: coaster on July 27, 2015, 02:48:16 AM
quote author=SaucyRossy link=topic=8271.msg445078#msg445078 date=1437986416]

You know I love ya, but didnt you make some promo videos for Art's show? Did the photographers who's images you used get paid? There were a lot of promo videos with a lot of really great stock images I am assuming came from google searches without the owners consent. Folks here post a lot of music videos as well. This is what I am talking about. I dont really support piracy. Im just saying this thread is pretty damn hypocritical. I also hope Art doesnt lose a penny. But I doubt he will from piracy. Pirates dont pay for shit. They wont change their minds either.

Well, if you want to make it about me fine.

EVERY VIDEO I made fell under Youtube's terms of service for Fair Use and EVERY VIDEO was monetized by the content owners on youtube, so everytime one of you watched one of my trailers if an ad played or popped up it earned money for THEM not me.

I made one video using entirely public domain footage and I donated 5 bucks to the site of the guy who posted the footage for free use, despite it only making 20 cents thru youtubes monetization (all those falkie videos, I'd bet he's made maybe 10 dollars)

Satisfied?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 27, 2015, 02:45:56 AM

These are very good ideas.

coaster

Many people here spent two years listening to pirated Art Bell while awaiting his return. Just think about that.