• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Streaming MITD: DMDN vs. TuneIn

Started by devoidzero, July 19, 2015, 06:20:38 PM

devoidzero

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but which site will you be streaming Midnight in the Desert from, The Dark Matter Digital Network or TuneIn?  I'm wondering if there will be a difference in sound quality as well as the supported number of users.  TuneIn would seem to have a bigger infrastructure to deal with the many listeners, I'm not sure the same can be said about DMDN, which seems more "home grown."  The last thing I want to deal with is buffering or lost connections.  Also, do either of the sites have "time outs" where the stream will stop after listening for a certain period of time?  SiriusXM had that, and I hated it.

inuk2600

I believe it should all point to StreamGuys since they are doing the content delivery. If there is a stream timeout, I doubt it would be set to less than 3 hours.

Morgus

The source is always the Dark Matter network stream.
The TuneIn app just collects links to various streams and relays them for you.
The stream data itself doesn't change, so no difference in audio quality or number of supported users.
I don't believe there is any forced timeout period, though you can create one in the TuneIn app via its own built-in sleep timer feature.

devoidzero

Ah OK, I wasn't aware that TuneIn just pointed to DM.  So it doesn't really matter... I'll probably go with TuneIn for the better performance of the native app as opposed to using my phone's web browser to listen on DMDN.  Guess we'll find out about the timeout.  Thanks for the info.

Morgus

Yeah TuneIn app is the best way to listen on a device like a smartphone or tablet.
On a PC there are other alternatives however.

thared33

I'm on http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/ but I don't see MiTD listed in the schedule on the right side. Do I just click the popup player tonight?

devoidzero

Quote from: thared33 on July 19, 2015, 07:16:42 PM
I'm on http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/ but I don't see MiTD listed in the schedule on the right side. Do I just click the popup player tonight?

Yep, that's the ticket.  I'm sure the schedule will be updated soon.

williedee

I'd recommend listening to the AAC stream if you can, it has REALLY good quality. No timeouts that I'm aware of, I've had my internet radio running for 12+ hours on Dark Matter lately and it doesn't ever drop.

saucerlike

I listened via the tunein app on my PS3, same problems everyone else had.  Everything was good until the 2nd hour, otherwise sounded great through headphones.  As I posted in the live chat thread, the music was ethereal.