• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150719 - Art Bell Open Lines Test Show - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, July 19, 2015, 12:33:56 PM

Razlo

It was to cool, hearing Art again. The technical issues are not insurmountable so, I have few worries that the wrinkles will be ironed out and all will be well. The test show was a good idea. Also, Redacted did a fine job, she will get as time goes bye.

SaucyRossy

Art, redacted, wonderful show. Just great. Felt so good to hear the bumper music, the amazing commercials, the callers from ALL OVER (never got that on Sirius) and just a wonderful night.

I loved the test show! I didn't have any issues listening on the TuneIn app on iPhone. Art seemed deflated at the end I hope he doesn't quit...

b_dubb

Once they work out the Skype issues and beef up the stream it'll be smooth as glass.

Coz

Quote from: Stephen on July 20, 2015, 12:41:38 AM
fall back to bonded isdn would be best... audio quality would be great...

Yea that's ok... but it's old school. No problem with that personally. But redundant and separate Internet service would be best.

If Skype is his primary phone system, he needs to drop that and get a virtual pbx locally on separate bandwidth.

And maybe VPN his show feed to keep prying eyes from trying to mess with his stream.

UDP is very unforgiving.

ONeill

Quote from: Falkie2013 on July 20, 2015, 12:39:26 AM
The forecast for Monday for Pahrump and the entire Vegas area is more thunderstorms.

I tried all night on Skype and the landline to get in. Landine would ring 40-50 times after awhile would hang up or be busy the next time I tried it.
Skype would ring and periodically disconnect the minute it started ringing.
Art needs electronic Raid or something to get the bugs out or some system impervious to the effects of thunderstorms.

Try the Davebot line next time.

Do you know if this show will be posted as a podcast? Or do they start from tomorrow?

aldousburbank

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 20, 2015, 12:58:13 AM
Art, redacted, wonderful show. Just great. Felt so good to hear the bumper music, the amazing commercials, the callers from ALL OVER (never got that on Sirius) and just a wonderful night.
Yes!

Scorch

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 20, 2015, 12:58:13 AM

I feel a little silly admitting this because after all it's just a radio show.  This has filled me with such joy!  Yes, the tech stuff will be sorted out.  What we are left with is not unlike the oldest Art Bell recordings out there, it's THE BEGINNING AGAIN!  We are ALL here to see the birth of this  A small audience, that IS GOING TO GROW.  How wonderful is this?  No, this can't last long, he's 70 years old after all, I know we already do, but we should cherish every minute of it.  I can't quite find the word, it's wonderful.

MV you and this site have a LOT to do with this I have no doubt.

In 30 years people will be listening to these recordings, looking at archives of this site and say what we say about 1994, what a time!  Oh how I wish I had known of Art Bell in 2015, and we do!

Thank you.

phrodo

Quote from: malachi.martini on July 20, 2015, 12:59:51 AM

Art's going to need better internet.

Now I understand why Art was soooo worried about the weather and his internet. Apparently there are NO wired ISPs in Pahrump... it's ALL wireless only. So the rain scatters/diffracts the microwave link just like heavy rain causes satellite TV to tile up and drop out. Yikes.

Quote from: phrodo on July 20, 2015, 01:04:08 AM
Now I understand why Art was soooo worried about the weather and his internet. Apparently there are NO wired ISPs in Pahrump... it's ALL wireless only. So the rain scatters/diffracts the microwave link just like heavy rain causes satellite TV to tile up and drop out. Yikes.

Wow, had no idea. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but they're going to have to get crafty when these issues do pop up.

Xitheron

My dubious and drinkius summary...

That's was badass!

To Art:
Please don't get discouraged about whatever small technical problems arose..look at the big picture. It was a little piece of future history. I was trying to call just to say that you sound amazing on NS-10 Studio Monitors in a recording studio control room in Nashville Tn.. direct cable..no wifi. It has to be the best sounding environment that I can imagine hearing you in.. (barring the same room). Your voice is huge Art! Actually..(and no offence to the gabcast) When your and Redacted's interview came back to gabcast, you could hear the difference. Sound quality is not everything, but it really shows. Even on a tiny iPhone4, the difference between a true professional setup and one that is really close is very evident. You still sound like the real deal in case you have any doubts.. Which surely you don't because you've got ears:)  Download it and A/B it with all the other stuff out there. Sorry.. I'm preaching to the choir...because just from the "test show" I just heard, I know you've already done that:)

Coz

Quote from: malachi.martini on July 20, 2015, 01:09:55 AM
Wow, had no idea. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but they're going to have to get crafty when these issues do pop up.

Well if he MUST use a wireless provider... he should see if he can get a second connection bonded at a different frequency. That might possibly help if he can get connections on separate bands.

Xandre

Someone posted this earlier. I couldn't find it in the chat. Just made listening much easier for me.

http://live.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/darkmatter.aac

ItsOver

Quote from: phrodo on July 20, 2015, 01:04:08 AM
If it's the rain, even though they apparently have a drought in the area, it is the monsoon season out there, too.  If they can just make it through August, it's not like Pahrump is in the Philippines. 

Just hang in there, Art.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

Catsmile

Quote from: malachi.martini on July 20, 2015, 01:09:55 AM

MOAR TINFOIL !!!

Spinner

Quote from: thared33 on July 20, 2015, 12:50:45 AM
Hey guys, there was this song during a break... it had a creepy organ, then came in with a rock band with a string section. Anyone know what was?
"Crunchy Granola Suite" by Neil Diamond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13TPEcXfKiw
Enjoy :)

Guy From V

I thought this wasn't starting until Monday night or was this a pre-opening opening show?

Bodach

Quote from: Guy From V on July 20, 2015, 01:22:00 AM
I thought this wasn't starting until Monday night or was this a pre-opening opening show?

Test show. Need to work out those gremlins

TazarYoot

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 20, 2015, 01:18:38 AM
Did anyone record the show?

Yeah I was hoping it would show up in the Time Travelers' Archive section but doesn't appear to have.

Quote from: TazarYoot on July 20, 2015, 01:24:38 AM
Yeah I was hoping it would show up in the Time Travelers' Archive section but doesn't appear to have.

Yeah that sort of a downer. Maybe it will show up, but I don't know because of the issues.

Spinner

I too would love to hear the test show again. If anyone has the mp3, please PM me.
TIA. :)

tweet75

Quote from: Mastodonkey on July 19, 2015, 11:36:57 PM
The newscasts are awesome.

sure beats reading drudge reports headlines like on the other show

BellBoy

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 20, 2015, 01:18:38 AM
Did anyone record the show?

I'm quite sure that if anyone did, it is strictly for their own personal use and will not in anyway be used to infringe the The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.  ::)

Faustina

Quote from: Spinner on July 20, 2015, 01:35:22 AM
I too would love to hear the test show again. If anyone has the mp3, please PM me.
TIA. :)

Me, too.  I'd love to hear it again.  It flew by way too fast.  Some great callers!

MisterChew

Please tell me that Redacted is not gonna be the permanent "side host". I don't have anything against her personally. I just felt that she was a distraction more than a compliment. I prefer a solo Art than with a sidekick.

KMKMKM

I feel for Redacted.  I think she did an good job, and I can't imagine the pressures of cohosting a show with Art.  Personally, I don't think Art needs a cohost; but it's not a make-or-break scenario for me.  It will take some getting used to, but I trust Art's judgement and Redacted's ability.

I will say, it seems like it's maybe a bit more uncomfortable for the caller having to address two hosts instead of just Art(which has to be uncomfortable enough already).