• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150719 - Art Bell Open Lines Test Show - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, July 19, 2015, 12:33:56 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PathoJen on July 20, 2015, 10:06:45 AM
But they can't possibly get that in before tonight, right?

probably right.

where art lives, it might not be available at all.  i just don't know.

EvB

Quote from: MV on July 20, 2015, 11:55:34 AM
probably right.

Okay - is HARDWIRED really the only way?  I'd hate to think that.  It can't go on as it did last night.

PathoJen

Quote from: OhGod on July 20, 2015, 11:29:55 AM
I think it's great that you enjoyed it. Overall I think most people would say they did enjoy the show. But nobody who has ever worked professionally would say she sounded "fantastic" -- nor would they ever say she was terrible (a label I might use on some of the podcasts prior to Art). It was simply a critique of things she can improve on; crutches she routinely displayed in both the test broadcast and the interview she did. These are things that lowered the overall quality and rhythm even if they went unnoticed by many. Thankfully I've never seen anyone need to eat accurate words ;D

But, in case you misinterpreted, I certainly don't mean to sound overly critical as if I think she sucked. She did not. I have no idea what her background or her experience is but I do know how incredibly awkward and nerve-wracking that position can be even for people who have been on-air for 5 or 10 years. But I didn't critique the jitters. I critiqued the crutches. I noted and stated that she has potential... possibly a ton of it. I wouldn't have kicked into critique mode if she didn't have that. Her voice is great w/o the inflection thing. She could likely sound VERY good with a couple of self-monitored tweaks and lots of practice. Maybe even sound "fantastic" on day? Who knows.

In hopes to better understand what I'm saying, looking at the conversation between Art and the gentlemen who later said he used to work in news. That was a smooth, naturally flowing exchange that was entertaining to listen to even if it had little substance. Those are also two people who have both spent a lot of time working on their "delivery". Talk can definitely be an art form.
Although I agree with you., this particular line stood out. Because as we all know, Art is a pro and he said she sounded awesome. So, there ya go.

PathoJen

Quote from: waves on July 20, 2015, 11:34:52 AM
Nooooooo.... we want any change to be change for the BETTER not the worse, and 'redacted' adds absolutely nothing and is just another lame Robin Givens.  A total pointless lightweight in comparison to the host.  I totally disagree with any admiration of the 'sound' of her voice' - not that it should have any weight.  It's slaggy, cooing and clearly gives the message 'ooh ooh ooh... I love hearing myself on the radio'.

PLEASE NO LAME SIDEKICK.
ROBIN QUIVERS. :)
I cannot stand Robin Quivers.......

PathoJen

Quote from: waves on July 20, 2015, 11:34:52 AM
Nooooooo.... we want any change to be change for the BETTER not the worse, and 'redacted' adds absolutely nothing and is just another lame Robin Givens.  A total pointless lightweight in comparison to the host.  I totally disagree with any admiration of the 'sound' of her voice' - not that it should have any weight.  It's slaggy, cooing and clearly gives the message 'ooh ooh ooh... I love hearing myself on the radio'.

PLEASE NO LAME SIDEKICK
Incidentally, Waves, are you a male or female? I'm taking a poll., to see if the only listeners that don't want a co-host are female.

chefist

Quote from: MV on July 20, 2015, 11:55:34 AM
probably right.

If it's a rural location I would imagine that there would be almost zero hard wire options...no broadband cable or fiber, maybe DSL but I'm not sure if that would handle the data stream...

GravitySucks

I thought the George Noory Sucks thread is where everyone got to vent stupid shit. It's Art's show. Let him do what he wants. Damn people, l know you aren't the boss of me, and I am pretty sure you aren't the boss of Art.

CrazyLady

Quote from: PathoJen on July 20, 2015, 12:01:12 PM
Incidentally, Waves, are you a male or female? I'm taking a poll., to see if the only listeners that don't want a co-host are female.
I am female and I don't think it is necessary to have a side kick. Art has always been a solo act. Why go messing up a good thing? If that makes me some kind of butt hurt woman.. so be it 8)

CSM

Dr Who

I have just been in a forun called midnight in the desert.I can not believe the pure nastiness,hatred and what can only be described as pure jealousy twoards Redacted.People are entitled to their oppinions but I found this to be just pure negative comment for the sake of it.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Dr Who on July 20, 2015, 01:53:13 PM
I have just been in a forun called midnight in the desert.I can not believe the pure nastiness,hatred and what can only be described as pure jealousy twoards Redacted.People are entitled to their oppinions but I found this to be just pure negative comment for the sake of it.

I wouldn't worry, most of the people over there are either people banned from here or people experiencing permanent butthurt because this place was too rough for them. Of course they're going to be anti-redacted.

Loaded

Ok, I just listened to the full test show download.  I don't understand what the criticisms are about.  (Redacted) did great for her first time on a live show with a master broadcaster.  Her interaction with Art will of course get better with time and practice.  Art needs time too to figure out how to integrate an open line co-host. 

Dr Who

I wasnt aware of that sc-fi I was actually searching for midnight in the desert so as I could bookmark the page and make it easier for me to signin as a time traveller and I found there forum and joined.What a bunch of jealous bitter cunts.

refined1

I am in both forums.  There was minimal commentary made about Redacted that was any worse than what I have seen here.  Mostly people expressing their thoughts and most not grooving on her.  So I don't agree that the other "place" was horrible or even overtly negative.  I signed up to hear Art and Redacted sort of came out of no-where.  In any case, he never said she would be co-hosting .   I thought she did a great interview the other night with Art.  She may have been filling in as the "guest" on the practice run just to see how things would go.  We probably shouldn't assume anything.  Even though there were glitches with the test run it was beyond cool to here Art.  The sound quality was amazing and I have faith it will all work out.

PathoJen

I know everyone was posting links to the wormhole last night, but I think there should be an obvious button to push on the DMDN page., even the sign in part is hard to find for some. It's in the drop down menu under time travelers. I mean, it's findable of course, but some people aren't very website savvy.

PathoJen

Quote from: Dr Who on July 20, 2015, 02:13:25 PM
I wasnt aware of that sc-fi I was actually searching for midnight in the desert so as I could bookmark the page and make it easier for me to signin as a time traveller and I found there forum and joined.What a bunch of jealous bitter cunts.
Who, they may be just what you say, BUT, they are listeners and possible time travelers, which equals revenue and listeners, supporters and blitzers..so Art cannot just discount these opinions. I wish they wouldn't be so hateful, but Bellgabbers can be hateful too, it's just not necessary. :(
When people are passionate about things, they get crazy...and we are all passionate about Mr. Bell.

Art just needs to go with his gut, which is what I suspect he will do. Hopefully his gut steers him right.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Dr Who on July 20, 2015, 01:53:13 PM
Art said people did not want a co-host.  Maybe they represent the average listener rather than fans?  I think she brought down the level of the show.   I think a professional like Art can see that sooner than can we.  I also think we should be offering honest and unbiased reviews of the experience because we want the show to be even more spectacular than those of the past.  The only way to do this is to be honest. 

Dr Who

Well I disagree Refined although some of the comments on here havent been that fantastic but sorry the other forum reaked of nastiness and jealousy and I for one wont go back near it.People are entitled tp their opinions when they are genuine but I think a lot of what was said in midnight was just negative for the sake of it

PathoJen

Quote from: Dr Who on July 20, 2015, 02:21:04 PM
Well I disagree Refined although some of the comments on here havent been that fantastic but sorry the other forum reaked of nastiness and jealousy and I for one wont go back near it.People are entitled tp their opinions when they are genuine but I think a lot of what was said in midnight was just negative for the sake of it
I'm currently on my way over there to check it out.  8)

refined1

Quote from: Dr Who on July 20, 2015, 02:21:04 PM

Sorry you feel that way Who.  I enjoyed being there.  It was fun and people were very respectful of each other.  The beauty of free will is that you have a choice.  Peace.

Lt.Uhura

I missed the test show last night, but will give a listen today.  After reading the comments here, I've seen some constructive commentary, as well as just plain snarky criticisms.  Please don't confuse the two.  The constructive critics are welcomed in my opinion. 

I've done my own weekly radio show (unpaid) for nearly 10 yrs now, and when I listen to recordings of my early shows, I cringe.  I actually hated listening to the sound of my voice for about a year or two.  I continued because I have a passion for the medium and my niche music genre, and felt I had something to offer. Somewhere along the way, I found my own voice.

Art has now made it clear he will not have a co-host, but I think an occasional appearance by guest co-hosts like (Redacted) is not a bad idea.  As to the news guy who called in, Art will likely find some of his guests from the caller pool, as he's done in the past. 

Relax friends, and enjoy The Ride :)

Dr Who

No problem Refined I dont want to fall out with anyone which is why im choosing to stay away.

refined1

Quote from: Dr Who on July 20, 2015, 02:34:18 PM
No problem Refined I dont want to fall out with anyone which is why im choosing to stay away.
Vanilla or chocolate.  It's nice to have a choice.  I hope you enjoy Art and his new show as much as I know I am going to.