• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 16, 2020, 04:51:56 PM
This is all I know about it.

https://youtu.be/51PlxwLKHRI

I always thought they should”ve made an actual Fox Force Five show.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 16, 2020, 04:55:55 PM
I always thought they should”ve made an actual Fox Force Five show.

That was my thoughts as well. Good bit of writing there, it sounds exactly like what a network would air.

pate

Try that with sweet potatoes, but keep the oil temp low or you "burn" the shit out of them;  the sugar caramelizes too much at high temps...  I try to keep the oil temp at about 225-250F but it takes forever.  Have to take it easy on stirring them at that low temp too, they are essentially mush until all the water boils out of them, then you turn it up and crisp them...  But very tasty if you manage to make a batch without "burning" them.

Did not watch the vidya, btw.

-p

pate

While I wait for the milk I will turn into Ricotta Cheese to reach room temperature I am entranced by:

https://youtu.be/6aOacBxG1XA

Mr. Fidget??  Swishypants???

Amazing!

I think it will add extra flavor to the batch of Roasted Corn and Potato Chowder that I am finishing up...

I should take a picture of the chowder.  It has Fire-roasted Bell Peppers, Ham, Bacon and Nasty Chicken Breast as complements to the flavors.  I just have to temper the Milk and Cream and add it and chill that shit down.

Also just finished vacum-packing and freezing 3 gallons of gelatinous Beef Stock into 1 quart portions.

GabCast ROCKS!!!

https://youtu.be/0ypIS5z87do

-Executive Producer, GabCast

pate

Today I made a marinade for the venison tenderloin my brother gave me the other day.  I wanted to try something different so after Gargling for a bit I found this:

http://silkroadgourmet.com/ancient-roman-game-marinade/

I made a few alterations, as I did not want to embark on a possibly fruitless quest for these "barberries" alleged in the recipe.

Instead of straight pomegranate juice, I opted for a jug of Langer's Pomegranate-Bluberry (and apple juice);  for the 1/3 cup of barberries, I subbed some dried cranberries (and briefly contemplated raiding local rosebushes for rose-hips, which I may explore in the future if this works out);  instead of preserved lemon peel, I used the dried lemon peel I already have (but considered using some Meyer Lemon marmalade as well, but nah...);  and in lieu of fresh rosemary & thyme I just used an appropriate amount of dried.

Tomorrow, after it has had time to fully marinate, I will either grill or saute the meat, and sauce with a reduction of my gelationous beef stock, with some onions and mushrooms and a bit of cream (I may even go buy a small bottle of congac for it, but probably not) and serve with gratineed potatos (Emmental, butter, cream and perhaps an egg, breadcrumbs etc) and steamed/grilled asparagus that I just might make Hollandaise sauce for (or gasp Bearnaise sauce;  which is just Hollandaise with tarragon...)

I doubt that I will go absolutely nuts and make some sort of dessert;  but I am thinking Creme Brulee is easy enough to knock together if that shit doesn't fill me up.

I will have to see how the marinade flavors the venison;  as I may add dates and craisins to the Hunter Sauce for it if that seems appropriate.  I hope to photograph the plate before I greedily devour it.  No promises.

-p

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on December 19, 2020, 02:17:23 AM
Today I made a marinade for the venison tenderloin my brother gave me the other day.

I ate biscuits and gravy after getting laid in an Holiday Inn Express. Top that, motherfucker.

pate

Quote from: Jackstar on December 19, 2020, 03:24:59 AM
I ate biscuits and gravy after getting laid in an Holiday Inn Express. Top that, motherfucker.

Morning campfire potato, egg & sausage cast iron skillet with dutch oven biscuits while the the sunrises over the Sangre de Christo mountains, then back to the tent for more shenanigans with the lady.

Still, the free breakfast that you don’t have to make is nice if you are wondering where you are going to sleep after the 11am checkout at the HIE.

-p

ediot:  the IHOP next door to your HIE probably has a slightly higher quality B&E if you are willing to spring for it. Also, did your lot lizard join you for breakfast or did he/she already bail?

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on December 19, 2020, 04:05:12 AM
Morning campfire potato, egg & sausage cast iron skillet with dutch oven biscuits while the the sunrises over the Sangre de Christo mountains, then back to the tent for more shenanigans with the lady.

But... you're gay.

pate

Quote from: Jackstar on December 19, 2020, 04:11:12 AM
But... you're gay.

I am flattered to be a part of your fantasy world and at the same time a little creeped out;  take it easy with that wishful thinking stuff, brah.

-----------

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

I could not decide which angle I liked better.  Decided "fuck the Bearnaise sauce," and no Creme Brulee for dessert.  This is a pretty decent recipe, it reminds me of the sauerbratten venison (leg I thing) I made a few years back, but  perhaps a bit less "sour" than that one.  This would be good to try with farm-raised vension, so you could go Medium-rare with it, I grilled this to an internal 160F (Medium well) since it was wild venison.  No "gamey" flavor detected, sweet and a touch sour, with a good thyme flavor too.

Them Romans knew how to eat apparently...

-p

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on December 19, 2020, 11:13:52 PM
I am flattered to be a part of your fantasy world

Give it time.

K_Dubb

QuoteI could not decide which angle I liked better.  Decided "fuck the Bearnaise sauce," and no Creme Brulee for dessert.  This is a pretty decent recipe, it reminds me of the sauerbratten venison (leg I thing) I made a few years back, but  perhaps a bit less "sour" than that one.  This would be good to try with farm-raised vension, so you could go Medium-rare with it, I grilled this to an internal 160F (Medium well) since it was wild venison.  No "gamey" flavor detected, sweet and a touch sour, with a good thyme flavor too.

Them Romans knew how to eat apparently...

-p

Now that is a worthy experiment!  I have seen dried barberries at my favorite half-Mexican half-Indian grocery where they have a huge spice aisle.

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 20, 2020, 12:00:00 AM
Now that is a worthy experiment!  I have seen dried barberries at my favorite half-Mexican half-Indian grocery where they have a huge spice aisle.

Next time I go to the River Market I will include barberries in my list of herbs/spices to pick up at the hajji spice-mart.  That place is awesome, they always have a giant bin of Jordan Almonds and everything is $1-$5 a "scoop" (probably a half-cup or better).  Most stuff is $1, but your saffron &c is higher.  Whole nutmeg is $1 for two, I think.  Love that place, I don't think I have ever been in there and not found what I was looking for.

Barberries were a new one, just didn't feel like making a special trip just for one thing...  I wonder if rose-hips (which are in season right now) are similar in flavor to barberries?

-p

Silphion

Quote from: Jackstar on December 19, 2020, 03:24:59 AM
I hate biscuits and gravy after getting laid in an Holiday Inn Express. Top that, motherfucker.

Really? That bad??

Jackstar

Quote from: Silphion on December 20, 2020, 01:14:02 AM
Really? That bad??

It was so good that you felt compelled to misrepresent it, so that should tell you something. ;)

Silphion

Quote from: Jackstar on December 20, 2020, 01:50:59 AM
It was so good that you felt compelled to misrepresent it, so that should tell you something. ;)

musta misheared you

albrecht

Quote from: Innerreach on January 15, 2021, 09:31:53 PM

https://youtu.be/cFZDnn3mPO0
Good but, better after a hunt and a trick....don't remove seeds from at least one fresh jap. And wait for laughing by all...well almost all.

This is the most generic recipe that comes up when web search:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wild-game-recipe-jalepeno-dove-poppers/

Innerreach

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2021, 09:50:38 PM
Good but, better after a hunt and a trick....don't remove seeds from at least one fresh jap. And wait for laughing by all...well almost all.

This is the most generic recipe that comes up when web search:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wild-game-recipe-jalepeno-dove-poppers/

That would be a funny trick. :D Too bad you can't just buy dove at the local market, because that looks incredible. ;)

Never mind, I guess you can purchase dove at certain markets and online.

albrecht

Quote from: Innerreach on January 15, 2021, 10:34:56 PM
That would be a funny trick. :D Too bad you can't just buy dove at the local market, because that looks incredible. ;)

Never mind, I guess you can purchase dove at certain markets and online.
It is likely over priced but, ha, almost all hunting is also is when not done in real ways by people who need it. But supports local economies and animal welfare, so I'm good with it. I did catch an odd claim when I listened to a bit of an AJ show. Weird. Some supplement from quail eggs that will help allergies. So bizarre For those who don't know Centex is bad for allergies. Almost all times and especially as people move here (please don't unless you're good folks) but the claim was, somehow quails (not many here anymore even) can take allergies out, or something, in their eggs? A quick google 
https://www.hello-day.com/blog/allergies-benefits-quail-eggs/
Suspect but maybe? They aren't bad tasting, pickled or otherwise but a weird anti cedar-fever and allergy, I don't know. Seemed suspect.

Innerreach

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2021, 11:03:27 PM
It is likely over priced but, ha, almost all hunting is also is when not done in real ways by people who need it. But supports local economies and animal welfare, so I'm good with it. I did catch an odd claim when I listened to a bit of an AJ show. Weird. Some supplement from quail eggs that will help allergies. So bizarre For those who don't know Centex is bad for allergies. Almost all times and especially as people move here (please don't unless you're good folks) but the claim was, somehow quails (not many here anymore even) can take allergies out, or something, in their eggs? A quick google 
https://www.hello-day.com/blog/allergies-benefits-quail-eggs/
Suspect but maybe? They aren't bad tasting, pickled or otherwise but a weird anti cedar-fever and allergy, I don't know. Seemed suspect.

Ha! Well, that's news to me. I've heard of (local) honey helping with allergies but was clueless about this. Just imagine, if big Pharma didn't hold a monopoly over this country. People could get real holistic information, that would truly heal them.

pate

Quote from: Innerreach on January 15, 2021, 11:28:28 PM
Ha! Well, that's news to me. I've heard of (local) honey helping with allergies but was clueless about this. Just imagine, if big Pharma didn't hold a monopoly over this country. People could get real holistic information, that would truly heal them.

I think the MAPA campaign had a program/initiative for more domestic local honey production that included holistic allergy reduction.

To think Congress could be working on something actually useful, instead they choose to focus on the impotent National Need for ImaPeachMint of the outgoing President in the last five days of his Presidency!

That thought never occurred to me, I will be sure to include ImaPeachMint among the MAPA Campaign goals for my 2024 second-term re-election campaign.

Hopefully, K_Dubb can survive the forthcoming four years of purging by the criminal usurpers and join me in emerging from the Shadows to legitimately win a second time in a row.

It will be histrionic!

pate/K_Dubb 20202024
”We are going toWILL fix this shit"

Innerreach

Quote from: pate on January 16, 2021, 01:08:59 AM
I think the MAPA campaign had a program/initiative for more domestic local honey production that included holistic allergy reduction.

To think Congress could be working on something actually useful, instead they choose to focus on the impotent National Need for ImaPeachMint of the outgoing President in the last five days of his Presidency!

That thought never occurred to me, I will be sure to include ImaPeachMint among the MAPA Campaign goals for my 2024 second-term re-election campaign.

Hopefully, K_Dubb can survive the forthcoming four years of purging by the criminal usurpers and join me in emerging from the Shadows to legitimately win a second time in a row.

It will be histrionic!

pate/K_Dubb 20202024
”We are going toWILL fix this shit"

Really, but there's no room, for a gardener!? #Interesting