• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:31:47 AM
I hired a guy with a mullet, hes a good programmer.

If he's got the chops what do you care if he's sporting a bad hairstyle from the 80s?  ;D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 03, 2016, 03:32:22 AM
I remember enjoying the first Creepshow movie but I haven't seen it since then and can barely remember it now. I'll have to do a Creepshow/Tusk double feature one night soon  ;)
I rewatched it recently and its still pretty good. Leslie Nielsen as a bad guy was fun.

comaphobe

Quote from: Belles on March 03, 2016, 03:19:24 AM
Wow you youngsters!  i saw it at the theater when if first came out.

it couldn't have been out for more than a few months when i saw it. but i was too young to interpret. it was definately new though. the only thing i remember vividly was the final scene with taarna with the green blooded sons of bitches, the same scene posted in the thread earlier. i don't even think i saw the actual magazine until the late 80s. i was born in 1975, not many of my friends had parents that took them to the drive in to see movies like that.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Belles on March 03, 2016, 03:19:24 AM
Wow you youngsters!  i saw it at the theater when if first came out.

I saw it in it's original run too...but I'm not as old as Barfly  :P

Barfly

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 03, 2016, 03:33:50 AM
If he's got the chops what do you care if he's sporting a bad hairstyle from the 80s?  ;D
Correct, hes actually a pretty cool guy, keeps to himself and loves to program.
He saved my ass keeping up with my workload while i was in the Netherlands.
Hes hard to define, hes in his 20's, just rides a bicycle, i guess i could define him as a geek and a hippie in the same package.

We're hiring kids with 2 year degrees from the local community college to program now. They are ok, but nothing revolutionary. They pretty much do the same work as a kid with a 4 year degree from Berkeley or Stanford. The programmers from 30 years ago were really good.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:39:16 AM
Correct, hes actually a pretty cool guy, keeps to himself and loves to program.
He saved my ass keeping up with my workload while i was in the Netherlands.
Hes hard to define, hes in his 20's, just rides a bicycle, i guess i could define him as a geek and a hippie in the same package.

These young kids aren't hippies. They're just smart enough to realize they should be concerned about the environment  ;)

Belles

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 03, 2016, 03:39:36 AM
We're hiring kids with 2 year degrees from the local community college to program now. They are ok, but nothing revolutionary. They pretty much do the same work as a kid with a 4 year degree from Berkeley or Stanford. The programmers from 30 years ago were really good.

Thank you.

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 03, 2016, 03:32:22 AM
I remember enjoying the first Creepshow movie but I haven't seen it since then and can barely remember it now. I'll have to do a Creepshow/Tusk double feature one night soon  ;)

i have tusk and el topo here waiting to be watched. i've never seen either. i have holy mountain too, that movie is crazy.

Barfly

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 03, 2016, 03:39:36 AM
We're hiring kids with 2 year degrees from the local community college to program now. They are ok, but nothing revolutionary. They pretty much do the same work as a kid with a 4 year degree from Berkley or Stanford. The programmers from 30 years ago were really good.
30 years ago we where doing COBAL, im mostly doing Python and C++ now.
I know a kid who is probably around 16 or 17 that i will hire in a heartbeat, but i think he may be getting a free ride to MIT when he gets out of HS.

JesusJuice

15 minutes left. "We only have enough time for one more caller."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on March 03, 2016, 03:45:12 AM
i have tusk and el topo here waiting to be watched. i've never seen either. i have holy mountain too, that movie is crazy.

Yeah, El Topo. That's another one I have to rewatch. Apparently, it was a big influence on Peter Gabriel when he was writing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Belles

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:45:43 AM
30 years ago we where doing COBAL, im mostly doing Python and C++ now.
I know a kid who is probably around 16 or 17 that i will hire in a heartbeat, but i think he may be getting a free ride to MIT when he gets out of HS.

Yes, pages and pages.

Barfly

Quote from: Belles on March 03, 2016, 03:48:03 AM
Yes, pages and pages.
Type till the fingers bleed and realize you made a mistake on line 50 or so.
Not a fun time.

comaphobe

this guy's mind works like a proper human being's should.

Barfly

Quote from: comaphobe on March 03, 2016, 03:50:17 AM
this guy's mind works like a proper human being's should.
I hate to say it, im liking him

Belles

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:49:48 AM
Type till the fingers bleed and realize you made a mistake on line 50 or so.
Not a fun time.

Or compiling it and having it kicked out.   Looking for your error.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:51:28 AM
I hate to say it, im liking him

This has been my general experience in listening to him over the last few years. He's not crazy. The world around him is  ;)

Barfly

Quote from: Belles on March 03, 2016, 03:51:56 AM
Or compiling it and having it kicked out.   Looking for your error.
I still go through that in Python

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 03, 2016, 03:53:04 AM
This has been my general experience in listening to him over the last few years. He's not crazy. The world around him is  ;)

i agree with that.

Belles

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:53:33 AM
I still go through that in Python

In 200 pages of code? I admit i know nothing of python.

Barfly

Was a pretty good show, actually im glad Hoagie didn't do the interview, at least John got to talk.

Belles

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:56:13 AM
Was a pretty good show, actually im glad Hoagie didn't do the interview, at least John got to talk.

This is true though I still want to hear him and Hoagie.

Barfly

Quote from: Belles on March 03, 2016, 03:57:00 AM
This is true though I still want to hear him and Hoagie.
yup, but im glad i got to actually hear him talk first, Hoagie will bring out the bat shit crazy aspect

JesusJuice

Quote from: Barfly on March 03, 2016, 03:58:52 AMHoagie will bring out the bat shit crazy aspect

But that's why we wanted to hear McAfee and Hoagland together 🙊🙉🙈

comaphobe

im out.. see you tomorrow night. remember it's the fukushima show on MITD. i hope it doesn't disappoint.

Lilith

Listening to McAfee talking to Robin, with my morning coffee.  I enjoy listening to McAfee, and Robin is very nice to listen to I guess, if Hoagie can't make it once in a while.