• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: Northern Nights on November 08, 2015, 04:14:29 PM
This could be the start of a whole new direction for OSOM, and would be the best source of unintentional comedy since Snoory took over Coast. LA is chockful of wannabe singers/actresses/models working as waitresses and bartenders. RCH would have an endless supply of guests if he and Scott trolled the bars and restaurants rounding them up, Robin could come along to do "Making Of" style documentary videos and upload these to Youtube as an extra revenue stream. Then the singers would sing their songs, the actresses do H.P. Lovecraft readings and the models have their pics on Radio With Pictures as Hoagland does commentary "I refer you to picture #3 check out THOSE arcologies MMMMM".
I like it.  Sounds like the perfect insanity for the middle of the night.

Oleus

This could be the start of a whole new direction for OSOM, and would be the best source of unintentional comedy since Snoory took over Coast. LA is chockful of wannabe singers/actresses/models working as waitresses and bartenders. RCH would have an endless supply of guests if he and Scott trolled the bars and restaurants rounding them up, Robin could come along to do "Making Of" style documentary videos and upload these to Youtube as an extra revenue stream. Then the singers would sing their songs, the actresses do H.P. Lovecraft readings and the models have their pics on Radio With Pictures as Hoagland does commentary "I refer you to picture #3 check out THOSE arcologies MMMMM".

That is a hell of an idea. I am also hoping for a live remote from Culver City Toyota.

Northcoaster

Quote from: albrecht on November 08, 2015, 12:06:37 PM
Whether "math," of various types is "discovered" or "invented" is a subject of much debate over the centuries and involve much debate and precision in definitions and deserves a thread of its own. But clearly RCH's "torsion field physics" will not be referenced by anyone of substance in the debate.

And I really like the show and was, frankly, surprised how good it was in the early days with Rossy as producer and RCH engaging with guests, quirky technical problems, positivity with regard to the future (in, conspiracy, UFO, politics, etc, as opposed to usual doom&gloom,) and even some self-deprecation on occasion by RCH (!!)  It went south quickly soon after and his true nature apparently was shown; now is tedious, at best, but not even fun as a perverse 'watch a trainwreck' way.

I'm not hearing that. The show and Richard seem to me to be the same as they always were. Can you give and specific examples of what's different now compared to when you were enjoying the show? Lord knows there's still plenty of quirky technical issues, lol.

albrecht

Great idea! Robin could go with them to the bars, hotel lounges, and cafes so the girls would "feel safe" going away with a leisure-suit/70sWesternWear wearing dude, in bolo-tie, with flowing locks and some other old dude whose pick-up lines are about Willard Scott and getting high decades ago at a radio station on the roof.

trostol

Quote from: Northcoaster on November 08, 2015, 04:33:52 PM
I'm not hearing that. The show and Richard seem to me to be the same as they always were. Can you give and specific examples of what's different now compared to when you were enjoying the show? Lord knows there's still plenty of quirky technical issues, lol.

well we shall start with the first night with Scott as producer..it was supposed to be open lines and ended up being 2 hours of two old guys reminiscing about the past..since then..not yet a month ago we have had a re-run show..a guest that had "phone issues" wo came back the following week and still had issues ..he has had more shows on Mars then he had the entire run of shows when Ross was producer(maybe not but close) he had a show where we, the listeners, were guinea pigs for a so called experiment instead of coming out and admitting he screwed up and just ran another re-run..he is insisting pretty much that KIC is aliens and the start of disclosure..which he has been preaching about for at least the 3 years i had heard him on C2C(i started listening 3 years ago or so)..on top of that..Scott, the executive producer, chimes in far too much

AppealPlay

Quote from: chefist on November 08, 2015, 01:59:40 PM
Something tells me that he has no skin in the game...

I imagine Richard is more or less broke.  I would be surprised if Richard invested whatever's wealth he has into this project.

Quote from: chefist on November 08, 2015, 08:08:38 AM
You better reference my post originating that show name!  ;)

Let's go halfsies on the royalties. ;D

AppealPlay

Quote from: shell88 on November 08, 2015, 02:23:34 PM
I hope he can turn it around too.  He's very entertaining when he wants to be ......just needs to get some advice and swallow some of that pride...maybe take a sabbatical for week.

I'm past that point with Richard.  What has been learned can not be unlearned.

AppealPlay

Ladies and gentlemen, the Dark Matter Digital Network is proud to present the all new Aces High, with Richard Hoaxland!

albrecht

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on November 08, 2015, 05:36:15 PM
I'm past that point with Richard.  What has been learned can not be unlearned.
In all seriousness and no judgement is that true? There is a lot of music, art, movies, books, etc that I've learned, later, that they were made by some really awful people who have done (at least as far as I know, far worse.) I admit I have a level and won't see/buy stuff by some of them or their new stuff, but does the exposure mean their stuff is bad? I don't know. Just in the movie realm: "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Tenant" are some of the scariest/good movies I've seen, "The Tenent" maybe the scariest? Some of Woody's stuff is just plain hilarious and satirical (and he can play a mean clarinet.) I'm watching some NFL games that feature guys who beat their wives (or baby-mamas,) involved in killings, and all kinds of 'gangsta' behavior.  I admire moral outrage and conviction, but, there are levels and limits to it, or rationalizations (say if I watch "for free" than it is ok cause no revenue? Idk. My justification sometime. Or the cliched "separate the art from the artist.")  Ultimately, for good or bad, the product is what matters (in most of our society.)

trostol

Quote from: shell88 on November 08, 2015, 02:23:34 PM
I hope he can turn it around too.  He's very entertaining when he wants to be ......just needs to get some advice and swallow some of that pride...maybe take a sabbatical for week.

problem is..i think there is more to it then just RCH..i am not sure he has a producer that will get challenging guests for Dick...just more of his friends/family/cronies

Ciardelo

An obvious omission made on Dick's part was Amanda's long history of being a psychic numerologist.  She even tried to get it mentioned more but he breezed over it wanting to get to the dirty parts. If you look around you can find where she has been on shows frequently.  Not big shows, but shows nonetheless. A thinking man (one with PT Barnum instincts as RCH imagines himself) would have let her do the numerology stuff with callers and highlight her music in the bumpers.

A good time to be had by all for sure.

But instead he tried to present himself as a music lyric expert (!) and fawn over her like a big creep. And he caps it off by insisting she has to write a song just for him!

I listened to Amanda on a couple of those other shows since listening to her RCH interview. She's easy-going and bright. It would have made maybe one of his best shows.

albrecht

For some reason I never heard of this deal? But it reminds, sort of, like the "tv show" (that is internet-based) that Dave tried (or has, I never checked it out.) This mentions that RCH was involved with an Icke enterprise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People's_Voice_%28internet_TV_station%29

Dyna-X

With all the talk of turning things around, I predict another 7 or 8 shows max, then....

FLLFlash

So you would like Hoagy to morph from Dick Cavett (on a good day) into a spacey new-age internet version of Joe Franklin. It might work and there is an opening for such a gig since Joe Franklin died this year. On the other hand Joe was self deprecating and Dick is anything but. Dick's eccentric enough, but takes himself way to seriously for this to work. The world does yearn for the next Joe Franklin though.

Dick fancies himself more as a David Susskind. He neither has the intellect nor smokes enough cigarettes to be Susskind.

henge0stone

well since Hoagland doesn't want people slowing his bandwidth I'll do him a favor and continue to not listen, its what he wants.

Spinner

Dang it, I guess I'm going to have to listen to what RCH said on the show.
Could one of you kind souls  ::) point me to which show to listen to? And if readily available, around what time?

Morgus

Quote from: Spinner on November 08, 2015, 07:18:05 PM
Dang it, I guess I'm going to have to listen to what RCH said on the show.
Could one of you kind souls  ::) point me to which show to listen to? And if readily available, around what time?
The first 10minutes or so of the 11/7 Saturday morning show.
You would need to be a subscriber to the Club 19.5 in order to hear it from the archives however. ;)

phrodo

Quote from: Morgus on November 08, 2015, 07:36:04 PM
You would need to be a subscriber to the Club 19.5 in order to hear it from the archives however. ;)

Just wondering if anyone has a clip of the meltdown that they could post. For educational purposes of course.

Saltheart

Rule number 1 in radio:
Never insult your listeners and subscribers by calling them useless ears.

Seems like a pretty easy rule to follow to me. But then again, I was never a science adviser to Cronkite,
so what do I know.

Spinner

Quote from: Morgus on November 08, 2015, 07:36:04 PM
Thanks, Morgus.
I was kind of listening live, but not really paying attention, I finally stopped the stream when I realized he was talking to some girl.

It's okay, I guess it doesn't matter anymore. I've read enough comments, so I get the gist of it. Sure sounds like the wheels are beginning to come off. Too bad, because the show used to be entertaining, and even informative at times.

I'll certainly be listening on Monday.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 08, 2015, 06:14:19 PM
An obvious omission made on Dick's part was Amanda's long history of being a psychic numerologist.  She even tried to get it mentioned more but he breezed over it wanting to get to the dirty parts. If you look around you can find where she has been on shows frequently.  Not big shows, but shows nonetheless. A thinking man (one with PT Barnum instincts as RCH imagines himself) would have let her do the numerology stuff with callers and highlight her music in the bumpers.

A good time to be had by all for sure.

But instead he tried to present himself as a music lyric expert (!) and fawn over her like a big creep. And he caps it off by insisting she has to write a song just for him!

I listened to Amanda on a couple of those other shows since listening to her RCH interview. She's easy-going and bright. It would have made maybe one of his best shows.

I am not taking any "side" but I think you have one of the most intelligent posts in this thread.  RCH wants a show that is stimulating and perhaps with unexpected content.  If you look at the "Best" show from a human interest perspective, it does provide a wealth of "lessons learned".  It wasn't the most exciting, nor the most memorable, but all shows can't be about Data heads on the Moon.

I think we should remember that RCH is trying to make 'us' happy.  He reads the stuff written here in BellGab.  He's not perfect, and his decisions may not always make sense to everyone.  That describes me as well, and perhaps the majority of posters here on BellGab.  While we have it, let's enjoy the interesting alternatives that Art and Richard provide us every week. 

trostol

Quote from: Marc.Knight on November 08, 2015, 08:55:06 PM
I am not taking any "side" but I think you have one of the most intelligent posts in this thread.  RCH wants a show that is stimulating and perhaps with unexpected content.  If you look at the "Best" show from a human interest perspective, it does provide a wealth of "lessons learned".  It wasn't the most exciting, nor the most memorable, but all shows can't be about Data heads on the Moon.

I think we should remember that RCH is trying to make 'us' happy.  He reads the stuff written here in BellGab.  He's not perfect, and his decisions may not always make sense to everyone.  That describes me as well, and perhaps the majority of posters here on BellGab.  While we have it, let's enjoy the interesting alternatives that Art and Richard provide us every week.

how is someone who more then once insulted his listeners trying to make us happy? because he is not. He is out for his own ego

AppealPlay

Quote from: Marc.Knight on November 08, 2015, 08:55:06 PM

Are you kidding me?  Richard hates us.  Did you even listen to the start of Friday's show? ???

GravitySucks

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on November 08, 2015, 09:09:09 PM
Are you kidding me?  Richard hates us.  Did you even listen to the start of Friday's show? ???

He has permanently lost this "useless eater" of bandwidth. Falkie can have my share. RCH and Falkie deserve each other.

albrecht

Quote from: Saltheart on November 08, 2015, 08:18:13 PM
Rule number 1 in radio:
Never insult your listeners and subscribers by calling them useless ears.

Seems like a pretty easy rule to follow to me. But then again, I was never a science adviser to Cronkite,
so what do I know.
Many a shockjock or radio host has gained audience by insults or condescension.  Some last, some not. Some are satirical, some maybe believe it. Angry, outraged listeners are still listeners. Of course certain tv personalities were experts this method, but has long history throughout history in many media, debates, rhetoric, etc.

trostol

so has any one found anything else at that time slot that is live to listen to? finding a list of late night shows seems impossible

Saltheart

Quote from: albrecht on November 08, 2015, 09:22:09 PM
Many a shockjock or radio host has gained audience by insults or condescension.  Some last, some not. Some are satirical, some maybe believe it. Angry, outraged listeners are still listeners. Of course certain tv personalities were experts this method, but has long history throughout history in many media, debates, rhetoric, etc.
Perhaps.
So let's just say that I am not a masochist, so when someone says that they do not want my time, attention and money. I oblige.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 08, 2015, 09:16:21 PM
He has permanently lost this "useless eater" of bandwidth. Falkie can have my share. RCH and Falkie deserve each other.

The context of his "useless eater" comment was a reference to listeners who are asleep, but still connected to the live show.  If I ran a show with variable expenses I think I would be concerned about the cost of bandwidth used to entertain sleeping listeners too. :)

Saltheart

Quote from: Marc.Knight on November 08, 2015, 09:53:59 PM

The context of his "useless eater" comment was a reference to listeners who are asleep, but still connected to the live show.  If I ran a show with variable expenses I think I would be concerned about the cost of bandwidth used to entertain sleeping listeners too. :)
Marc, you are free to your opinion, and mine is no more legit than yours. But, I saw it play out was this way.
RCH disses SR and a bunch of bellgabbers cancelled. Only after we quit did he raise this issue of bandwidth. Suggesting that maybe we actually got our point across and the numbers reflected it, and hurt. Only since then has this been an issue. But hey, that is just how I see it and it damn sure don't make it true.
I was true blue RCH and have posts showing the RCH and OSOM stickers I personally had made up and was running on my truck. Check my history, I was, as was most of us on this thread, a RCH supporter. We didn't get off of his hook, he cut the line.
Peace,
Salt

K_Dubb

Quote from: Marc.Knight on November 08, 2015, 09:53:59 PM

That brings up an interesting point:  how the hell can he tell whether a listener is asleep?  Keith runs programming after him, so it's not like anybody still on at 2:05 AM Pacific is asleep.

It seems like useless, speculative caviling to me.  I take it as a sign the end is near.