• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Small Portable Mp3 Player Suggestions

Started by cweb, June 17, 2015, 11:59:41 AM

cweb

Years ago, I purchased a Sandisk Sansa Clip+. It was an amazing device. Sadly, it has not aged well. The clip is gone, the battery life is decreasing, and the power button is busted beyond repair. A great long run but it's time for a new device.

Here's what I need:
- MP3 playback
- Good battery life
- Backlit screen
- MicroSD card slot
- Small-ish size
- Under $50
- Decent file management/ playlist support

I don't need: video playback, games, wifi, bluetooth, ebook reader, garage door opener, pizza roll maker, a phone

Because the Clip+ was so awesome, they don't make it any more. And buying one from Amazon will run you over $70.

I'm considering the successor, the Clip Sport (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Player-Screen-MicroSDHC-SDMX24-008G-G46K/dp/B00HCMZ2SE/) but there are some pretty bad software complaints.

There's also the Kubik Evo (http://www.amazon.com/Kubik-Player-Radio-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B0041MMMWW/) but that has its own issues with file selection, organization, and playback.

Any other ideas?

konradbeezo

I love my Clip+

If I needed a replacement I would try the Sony NWZE384 Walkman MP3 player. Not too expensive and the Amazon reviews are much more positive than most of the other mp3 players on there.

cweb

Thanks for the suggestion! Some pretty good reviews and looks like decent build quality. I'll look into the Sony a little deeper.

MV/Liberace!

i would just get on ebay, find a cheap android phone, and throw it into airplane mode.  it would meet every one of your criteria other than "not a phone".

cweb

Hmm, perhaps. I'd prefer to have a player on the really small end. eBay might have a good solution, regardless.

Wintermute

I use my cell phone. Seriously... it's better in every way than my old MP3 player. I have around 100gig of MP3s going back before the days of Napster. I put them all on a 128gig microSD and popped it in my phone. Made a couple dozen playlists. Done...

I still have my Sanza whatever-the-heck it was, 16gig model. The only thing it gets used for is to test streaming server input and that is few and far between.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Wintermute on June 23, 2015, 05:06:55 PM
I use my cell phone. Seriously... it's better in every way than my old MP3 player. I have around 100gig of MP3s going back before the days of Napster. I put them all on a 128gig microSD and popped it in my phone. Made a couple dozen playlists. Done...

even in 2015 with all of the tech i'm surrounded by and take for granted, i'm amazed to look at a microSD card and know there are 128GB of data on it.  that's just insane to me.  128GB on that little tiny piece of silicon!  i wonder what the average fail rate is for a 128GB microSD.  with such data density, it can't be great.

wr250

Quote from: MV on June 24, 2015, 11:06:23 AM

even in 2015 with all of the tech i'm surrounded by and take for granted, i'm amazed to look at a microSD card and know there are 128GB of data on it.  that's just insane to me.  128GB on that little tiny piece of silicon!  i wonder what the average fail rate is for a 128GB microSD.  with such data density, it can't be great.
dime sized computer:
http://linuxgizmos.com/dime-sized-iot-com-runs-linux-or-android-on-imx6/

Wintermute

Quote from: MV on June 24, 2015, 11:06:23 AM

Fail Rate - No clue really. I've never had an SD or MicroSD card fail and I have a lot of them. Between a field recorder, Trimble, GoPros, dSLRs, cell phones, and tablets, I've been lucky I guess??? Really funny... I have had a 64gig card that gets used every day in a GoPro. It accidentally dropped off a 70 story building once. GoPro didn't make it, but the MicroSD did. I've washed multiple SD / MicroSD cards and they all end up ok. I still have a 256mb MicroSD card from my old Motorola SLVR (2005) and it's still alive.

It's hilarious to think that the laptop I bought in 2010 had an 80gig Intel SSD... and that was the bomb. Now my cell phone has more storage and that 128gig MicroSD was half the price of the 80gig SSD new.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Wintermute on June 25, 2015, 11:47:24 PM

It's hilarious to think that the laptop I bought in 2010 had an 80gig Intel SSD... and that was the bomb. Now my cell phone has more storage and that 128gig MicroSD was half the price of the 80gig SSD new.

and to think i just bought a samsung 850 EVO SSD (500GB) for only $179.  how times change.

VegasI15

Lots of people are buying low end smart phones like a cheap Lumia 635.  Don't need to connect it to a service, just use it as a media player.

Morgus

Quote from: VegasI15 on June 26, 2015, 02:47:29 PM
Lots of people are buying low end smart phones like a cheap Lumia 635.  Don't need to connect it to a service, just use it as a media player.
and you could even use it as a wifi phone with no cell plan, with free voip calls and messaging using a free google voice number and google hangouts android app.

cweb

Quote from: Morgus on June 26, 2015, 04:06:14 PM
and you could even use it as a wifi phone with no cell plan, with free voip calls and messaging using a free google voice number and google hangouts android app.
It also takes microSD cards up to 128GB, which is clutch for my podcast/music angle. I'll check this one out!

chefist

I have the SanDisk Sansa...it has the micro slot...I love it!