• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What are social justice warriors losing their shit about today?

Started by bateman, June 12, 2015, 06:46:40 PM

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 22, 2020, 06:55:55 PM
I have no idea what you’re talking about

dumb niggers about to learn the hard way #ToughLove

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Asuka Langley on October 22, 2020, 07:19:40 PM
dumb niggers about to learn the hard way #ToughLove

You know that more and more black people are leaving the Democratic party now, right?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Asuka Langley on October 22, 2020, 06:58:57 PM
https://twitter.com/SaadAzzedin/status/1319127953360457729

The real question is do you think things would be any different under Biden? At least with Trump there’s the possibility of addressing this in the future. I’m not antisemetic but agree Israel has too much influence here.

albrecht

We all know that math is racist. Statues and history are horrible and offensive. And, obviously, English is bad and made even more racist by proper grammar. And now we learn that statistics are also bad news. As if we didn't know that they are often manipulated and massaged for desired outcomes in many cases it is also just plain racist. We really need to eliminate all these things if we want a non-racist society.

http://nautil.us/issue/92/frontiers/how-eugenics-shaped-statistics

paladin1991

Quote from: Asuka Langley on October 22, 2020, 06:48:07 PM
Y U no want 2 C city slickers starve to death and get raped to death by pavement apes in their burned out concrete jungle?

That's funny as hell.  The things  i could you fm my days on patrol.

paladin1991

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 02, 2020, 02:54:31 PM

Say his name.

The reporter of that piece is named Dan Corn.  Dan CORN!  This is CORN pop all growed up. Now I see Corn Pop's plan.  All these years later, after being chased off by Ragin JO Biden, he gets to fuck with White America. 

albrecht

https://ew.com/tv/cbs-reality-series-casting-representation/

Affirmative Action strict quota system for scripted "reality" tv shows per CBS order. I wonder if these quotas will be enacted for management, ownership, direction, production, drama shows, sit-coms, fake news reporting, soap operas, and sports broadcasting?

pate

The other day I drove past a house that had a white bed-sheet with the words "Defund The Police" spray-painted in black on it.

I was sorely tempted to wrap a note around a brick with the words "I am going to burn down your house and murder your family" on it and leave it in front of the door.

What would they do?  Call the Cops?

-p

Juan

Mutual of Omaha should replace the Amerind with a bust of Jim Fowler.  Jim was the one who had to track the Buffalo, water the elephants and wrestle the crocodile.

albrecht

I knew "they" had renamed Mt. McKinley but wasn't aware, until now, that Barrow, Alaska had also been renamed into some unpronounceable- but suspiciously Western in spelling and lettering- native name. I doubt these Eskimos used English letters in their names or even had a written language. I could be wrong. Anyway, going to be dark there for awhile. 

https://twitter.com/NWSFairbanks/status/1329091999883026434

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 18, 2020, 06:57:52 PM
I knew "they" had renamed Mt. McKinley but wasn't aware, until now, that Barrow, Alaska had also been renamed into some unpronounceable- but suspiciously Western in spelling and lettering- native name. I doubt these Eskimos used English letters in their names or even had a written language. I could be wrong. Anyway, going to be dark there for awhile. 

https://twitter.com/NWSFairbanks/status/1329091999883026434

Of course it was not a written language so a word to them was just a muttered sequence of phonemes, which makes any sort of etymology very difficult -- you will notice they can't agree on whether it refers to "the place where wild roots are gathered" or "the place where snowy owls are hunted" -- which is really kind of sad.  Personally I think that, for these sorts of restorations, making white people tie their tongues in knots in order to pronounce the native words is a kind of anticolonial protest that just makes everybody resentful.  It should be acceptable to translate the meaning into English, as has been done in the past and where you get some evocative results like Yellowknife, from the native copper industry there, or Medicine Hat from some chief's powerful headdress I suppose.

After all, it was common in the past to translate even personal names into different languages to ease pronunciation difficulties and so that the rough transliterations don't look so barbaric -- Knut (a transliteration of the four runes that make up the name) becomes Canute, etc., and Alexander Glazunov (originally of course a twiggy Cyrillic mess) becomes Alexandre Glazounow in French.  I'm used to being called Nut, Kunt, and everything in between, which might have been avoided had we stuck with the English spelling.

Lest you think this is purely a Native thing I'd point out how quickly after WWII Eastern European countries formerly dominated by a German-speaking minority insisted on reverting to Slavic names for things once the Germans were driven out -- Brunn became Brno, Danzig became Gdansk, etc.  And of course the renaming of Oslo to honor some Danish prince didn't last more than a couple hundred years.  I'd favor a system that kept all the names, if only to honor the history, but all those fat Poles who went out and changed the roadsigns as the Germans fled never asked my opinion.

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 21, 2020, 11:58:59 AM
a kind of anticolonial protest that just makes everybody resentful.  It should be acceptable to translate the meaning into English

BLASPHEMER! LIAR!! BLASPHEMER!!!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on November 21, 2020, 12:23:17 PM
BLASPHEMER! LIAR!! BLASPHEMER!!!

Well you know you have the same problem with Mt. Rainier.  I can understand no longer wishing to honor some British admiral but then you have the problem of which of the mumbly Native names to bestow:  Talol, Tacoma, Tahomah, Tacobeh.  There are of course multiple derivations from the competing languages, ranging from "mother of waters" (suspiciously poetic -- some 19th-century white Romanticism at work) to "snow-covered mountain" (impractical since we have a lot of them, as any Native namer would have known) to the eminently practical and unpoetic (and thus probably correct) "bigger than Mt. Baker" (called Kulshan or Koma, again depending on language).  I favor the dark horse "Pooskaus" since it makes me laugh and nobody seems to know what it means.

Denali has the same problem, since it just means "the big one" and every locale is likely to have their own big one.

albrecht

Of course it was not a written language so a word to them was just a muttered sequence of phonemes, which makes any sort of etymology very difficult -- you will notice they can't agree on whether it refers to "the place where wild roots are gathered" or "the place where snowy owls are hunted" -- which is really kind of sad.  Personally I think that, for these sorts of restorations, making white people tie their tongues in knots in order to pronounce the native words is a kind of anticolonial protest that just makes everybody resentful.  It should be acceptable to translate the meaning into English, as has been done in the past and where you get some evocative results like Yellowknife, from the native copper industry there, or Medicine Hat from some chief's powerful headdress I suppose.

After all, it was common in the past to translate even personal names into different languages to ease pronunciation difficulties and so that the rough transliterations don't look so barbaric -- Knut (a transliteration of the four runes that make up the name) becomes Canute, etc., and Alexander Glazunov (originally of course a twiggy Cyrillic mess) becomes Alexandre Glazounow in French.  I'm used to being called Nut, Kunt, and everything in between, which might have been avoided had we stuck with the English spelling.

Lest you think this is purely a Native thing I'd point out how quickly after WWII Eastern European countries formerly dominated by a German-speaking minority insisted on reverting to Slavic names for things once the Germans were driven out -- Brunn became Brno, Danzig became Gdansk, etc.  And of course the renaming of Oslo to honor some Danish prince didn't last more than a couple hundred years.  I'd favor a system that kept all the names, if only to honor the history, but all those fat Poles who went out and changed the roadsigns as the Germans fled never asked my opinion.

The controversy here is that we had names that were misspelled, apparently, and so the white liberals want to revert to old spelling (which never was spelled) and pronunciations that don't match the 'proper' of the ethnic origin (although they have been pronounced that way for many decades.) For example our street/place named "Manor" is pronounced "MAY-noor," not "manor" like a dwelling. Which is how the family pronounced it. So acceptable. However, what about "Guadalupe" which we pronounce "Gua-DA-LOOP"  -this is not good because not the way a Spaniard would pronounce it.   

We are giving up our shibboleths by nationalized and standardized pronunciations and spellings.

And it, mainly, isn't "people of color" who are bitching but rich, white liberals. The actual minorities care more about police brutality, small business growth, gentrification, cost of living, better schools, and jobs than street names.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2020, 12:37:38 PM
We are giving up our shibboleths by nationalized and standardized pronunciations and spellings.

I agree!  Language should be complicated and messy and you should be able to tell where someone is from by how he says things.  That whole standardization thing started with the dictionary movement reformers and has really robbed English of its linguistic depth, washing over every colorful variation with the mudlike hue of consensus.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 21, 2020, 12:36:19 PM
Well you know you have the same problem with Mt. Rainier.  I can understand no longer wishing to honor some British admiral but then you have the problem of which of the mumbly Native names to bestow:  Talol, Tacoma, Tahomah, Tacobeh.  There are of course multiple derivations from the competing languages, ranging from "mother of waters" (suspiciously poetic -- some 19th-century white Romanticism at work) to "snow-covered mountain" (impractical since we have a lot of them, as any Native namer would have known) to the eminently practical and unpoetic (and thus probably correct) "bigger than Mt. Baker" (called Kulshan or Koma, again depending on language).  I favor the dark horse "Pooskaus" since it makes me laugh and nobody seems to know what it means.

Denali has the same problem, since it just means "the big one" and every locale is likely to have their own big one.
They should rename Mt.Rainer after the beer. Then the problem is settled in a circular reference.

aldousburbank

Of course it was not a written language so a word to them was just a muttered sequence of phonemes

I spend considerable time on the western coast of Canada where they’ve recently changed road signs to both english and indigenous spellings. A couple of weeks ago I was walking through a coastal parkway where I involuntarily chuckled aloud after seeing the burdened spelling for the Squamish people.

S k͟w x͟wú7mesh
:o

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2020, 12:45:17 PM
They should rename Mt.Rainer after the beer. Then the problem is settled in a circular reference.

Haha I think that is the only reason it has persisted!  Or possibly some unlearned folk etymology based on the idea that it demarks the rainier side of the state.  Meriwether Lewis in his happy pre-standardization age apparently noted it as "Regniere" which is probably what the good old admiral's name was before he brutally anglicized it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 21, 2020, 01:06:45 PM
I spend considerable time on the western coast of Canada where they’ve recently changed road signs to both english and indigenous spellings. A couple of weeks ago I was walking through a coastal parkway where I involuntarily chuckled aloud after seeing the burdened spelling for the Squamish people.

S k͟w x͟wú7mesh
:o

Oh yeah there are some real jewels out here.  I think that, as well-intentioned and valuable as linguists' work has been in documenting the various Native languages so they don't disappear altogether, they have done some real disservice in spelling, itself a foreign concept to an oral culture.  You just know they sat down with the only person considered fluent, likely ancient, toothless and inebriated, and carefully transcribed every slur and stutter and phlegmy rattle, and that is what they are teaching the children.

aldousburbank

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 21, 2020, 01:13:48 PM
Oh yeah there are some real jewels out here.  I think that, as well-intentioned and valuable as linguists' work has been in documenting the various Native languages so they don't disappear altogether, they have done some real disservice in spelling, itself a foreign concept to an oral culture.  You just know they sat down with the only person considered fluent, likely ancient, toothless and inebriated, and carefully transcribed every slur and stutter and phlegmy rattle, and that is what they are teaching the children.

When you get all algebraic with names and shit you can count me o0t.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 21, 2020, 01:13:48 PM

Also, a lot of them are fat.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 21, 2020, 01:22:29 PM
Also, a lot of them are fat.

That is an important point.  Pendulous jowls, flabby lips, and airways choked by disgusting deposits of facial fat have a profound effect on the way you say things, and, conversely, language has a marked effect on physiognomy.  Consider the French who have a distinct look about their mouths, held like little bird beaks, well into senescence because of the demands of their language -- the rhotic uvular consonant is impossible to pronounce without fully tensed zygomatici which requires cheek fat to be kept at a minimum or it gets in the way.  Obesity is not only ugly, it is a speech impediment.  That is why the French are thin.

Dr. MD MD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvUGjjjLHw

Do the streets speak for themselves, Dave or are they being funded by George Soros, you ignorant, commie dupe? ::)