• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Gardens, Lawns and Such...

Started by chefist, June 10, 2015, 09:46:44 PM

Juan

@pate - what do you do about nutsedge (clearly a communist) in a vegetable garden!

pate

Quote from: Juan on August 15, 2022, 03:25:33 PM@pate - what do you do about nutsedge (clearly a communist) in a vegetable garden!

Nutgrass/Watergrass/Nutsedge!  I forgot about that stuff, it should have been on the list of endemics around hear:

...HAH!  I laugh because at the commercial property I maintain I allow it to grow in one of those parking-lot islands because the landlord is too cheap to pay me to dig it out & put something like liriope in there instead.

He just keeps Round-Upping it (to no effect), hah.  This spring he threw a bunch of mulch on top of it;  which was HALF of my recommendation to him:  the other half being DIG THAT SHIT OUT first.

Anyway, as you can see from the rhizome image (rightmost, above) it has these little tuber things that you usually miss when attempting to dig them out.  They are sort of designed by nature to break off underground to grow a new plant.

About the only successful tactic I know of with this one is, again;  dig it out by the root.  It is about as difficult as Johnson Grass to fully eradicate.  Basically, you have to be patient and keep after it on multiple occasions.

If you don't have one of these:

...get one:  they are indispensable to the "dig-out" method;  especially if you are trying to clear an infestation out from among turf-grasses.

Used judiciously, you can extract the offending rhizome without overly disturbing the roots of the turf:  there will be damage but the grass typically recovers if you give it a shot of water and tamp it back down after you are done.

Don't be surprised if you miss a "nut" and see another sprout after a decent precipitation event (hence the "WaterGrass" moniker):  not a big deal you have now located the "nut" you missed before and it has consumed itself creating a new sprout.  Get that bastige fast before it matures and create more "nuts" for you to discover after the next rain.

-p

Juan

I've been digging for four years.

albrecht

Quote from: pate on August 15, 2022, 03:54:34 PMNutgrass/Watergrass/Nutsedge!  I forgot about that stuff, it should have been on the list of endemics around hear:

...HAH!  I laugh because at the commercial property I maintain I allow it to grow in one of those parking-lot islands because the landlord is too cheap to pay me to dig it out & put something like liriope in there instead.

He just keeps Round-Upping it (to no effect), hah.  This spring he threw a bunch of mulch on top of it;  which was HALF of my recommendation to him:  the other half being DIG THAT SHIT OUT first.

Anyway, as you can see from the rhizome image (rightmost, above) it has these little tuber things that you usually miss when attempting to dig them out.  They are sort of designed by nature to break off underground to grow a new plant.

About the only successful tactic I know of with this one is, again;  dig it out by the root.  It is about as difficult as Johnson Grass to fully eradicate.  Basically, you have to be patient and keep after it on multiple occasions.

If you don't have one of these:

...get one:  they are indispensable to the "dig-out" method;  especially if you are trying to clear an infestation out from among turf-grasses.

Used judiciously, you can extract the offending rhizome without overly disturbing the roots of the turf:  there will be damage but the grass typically recovers if you give it a shot of water and tamp it back down after you are done.

Don't be surprised if you miss a "nut" and see another sprout after a decent precipitation event (hence the "WaterGrass" moniker):  not a big deal you have now located the "nut" you missed before and it has consumed itself creating a new sprout.  Get that bastige fast before it matures and create more "nuts" for you to discover after the next rain.

-p

I also was "not a fan" but seeing some methods I'm sorta a convert. But one has to be careful. Roundup (don't sue me Bayer, and I won't mention some things about Joose or Gypsies, interestingly seem of a tribe who are going after Monsanto- and then you- for the chemical and 'interesting' history.) It does work. Properly applied, and I don't suggest it. But works crazy good. But, then again, I'm a guy who says clean your hands with turpentine, or gas, after painting stuff.

ps: that weeder tool? I use as option to open up the lids for cut-offs. Works great, slide in and then manipulate to lift. This was useful in our "tragic winter" a few years ago. (Actually a time to use winter stuff and separate wheat from chaff.) Not saying deaths good, But, come on, not THAT cold and consider why apartment living or no preps. One should live with HEAT and COLD. Extremes better both! And deal with it. Folks make fun of having sardines, bleach, water, and booze and don't even how know how to protect pipes or shutoff! And, yes, water in toilet tanks, water heaters, even pools (extreme with some stuff.) Weakness hurts our country.

albrecht

Quote from: Juan on August 15, 2022, 04:21:44 PMI've been digging for four years.
I've heard something about corn gluten as a preemergent. Also solarizing the whole deal and starting over. That more cost and work. But apparently works. Especially if trying to go from one type of turf to a completely other. The wrong kind of digging can cause problems than it helps (unless using pest and herbicides) because it can 'stir up stuff' lying dormant. Look at a place where they are scraping for a new building and piling dirt hills up how quickly you got plants, usually unwanted.

my mower is a 20inch Scott's. Bought for $15 on CL from a rich, fat guy who was too lazy to use but smart enough to put a nominal price on it to 1) get rid of it quickly before wife returned and 'knew about it.' 2) anything simply free on CL attracts undesirables to the neighborhood.