• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

UPS and surge protector

Started by Paradox, May 27, 2015, 12:43:55 PM

Paradox

I can't plug all my equipment into my UPS.  Not that I have too many things I want to plug in, I have five items I want to plug in and there are five outlets.  The plugs for the modem and the router are so large they cover other outlets.  So I plugged a surge protector into an outlet and plugged my phone and ooma into that.  From what I have read I really need a PDU, but won't be getting one of those for a few months. 
Will my equipment be OK for a while?

Maybe I should plug the phone into the surge side of the UPS and if the power goes out just switch it to the surge protector if I absolutely have to?  The fax machine was deemed a less important need during an outage and is plugged into the surge side of the UPS already. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paradox on May 27, 2015, 12:43:55 PM
I can't plug all my equipment into my UPS.  Not that I have too many things I want to plug in, I have five items I want to plug in and there are five outlets.  The plugs for the modem and the router are so large they cover other outlets.  So I plugged a surge protector into an outlet and plugged my phone and ooma into that.  From what I have read I really need a PDU, but won't be getting one of those for a few months. 
Will my equipment be OK for a while?

Maybe I should plug the phone into the surge side of the UPS and if the power goes out just switch it to the surge protector if I absolutely have to?  The fax machine was deemed a less important need during an outage and is plugged into the surge side of the UPS already.

your stuff should be fine.  don't sweat it.

Paradox

Thanks MV.  I appreciate the advice.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paradox on May 27, 2015, 01:25:42 PM
Thanks MV.  I appreciate the advice.

just be sure you aren't lifting any grounds:

Paradox

Quote from: MV on May 27, 2015, 01:39:03 PM

Nope. not doing that.  Only plug with a ground is on the fax.

Quote from: analog kid on May 27, 2015, 01:41:07 PM
You have a fax machine?
OMG.  Does this mean I can expect faxes of penises rolling in? 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paradox on May 27, 2015, 02:05:26 PM
OMG.  Does this mean I can expect faxes of penises rolling in?

if you're lucky.

Paradox

Quote from: MV on May 27, 2015, 03:30:36 PM
if you're lucky.
Heh.  I'll just forward the fax phone to the GabCast fax number.

wr250

Quote from: MV on May 27, 2015, 01:39:03 PM

i prefer to do the following:

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on May 27, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
i prefer to do the following:

funny, because that's clearly a european power strip.

wr250

Quote from: MV on May 27, 2015, 10:30:02 PM
funny, because that's clearly a european power strip.
we know. stupid americans on a budget euro holiday.

I have 2 UPS. They woke me up buzzing the other night. Could not get them to reset. Somehow I imagined that as old as they are they may need new batteries. I found a place here that had any kind of lead battery and bought 2 for $30 each. It fixed them. I do not know how I would power all my crap  nor route all these power cords and wall warts after this amount of time.
(APC 500 and 600).

Paradox

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on June 12, 2015, 06:57:06 PM
I have 2 UPS. They woke me up buzzing the other night. Could not get them to reset. Somehow I imagined that as old as they are they may need new batteries. I found a place here that had any kind of lead battery and bought 2 for $30 each. It fixed them. I do not know how I would power all my crap  nor route all these power cords and wall warts after this amount of time.
(APC 500 and 600).
Oh no!  I didn't want to know that I have this to look forward to at some point in time.  Well shit!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paradox on June 12, 2015, 09:03:11 PM
Oh no!  I didn't want to know that I have this to look forward to at some point in time.  Well shit!

oh yeah.  those batteries are like any other.  they die.

Paradox

Well of course, that's totally logical.  I know I read about it when I got them, but I had managed to forget.  I wanted to be in denial forever. 

They lasted 7-8 years before all the buzzing  stayed sort of permanant. It was odd one of the UPS the battery was slightly smaller but I used the same battery when I bought 2 to replace and I could not get the 'door' back on one. But they are on a shelf. There may be things plugged in that  aren't there to be plugged in. I have had 4 computers, 4 printers  and more power bricks and wall warts  surely more than there are devices using them now. One day I need to unplug everything and start over . I have been in this apartment for nearly 15 years. $30 each  was not bad  . I have to think about my car. I bought a battery for it about 3 years ago.  It was a "4" year battery. The car was new in 07 and only has 25k on the odo. But that one is over $100.