• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Listening to Art on SW with a Little Help.

Started by blitzer850, May 08, 2015, 10:06:12 AM

blitzer850

Hello Komrad's of Gab,

This link is more to the subject..
http://www.i1wqrlinkradio.com/antype/ch4/chiave790.htm

I was reading the post yesterday about a few that were interested in listening to Art on SW radio, antenna issues & living in an apartment or HOA restrictions.
Some SW radios the built-in antenna will work fine. But depending on where you live, type of radio ect ect.. This may help a few, it helped me a few years back.

First I would like to thank Frank Dorenburg (N4SPP) for his website & slinky antenna info. His info for building a slinky indoor antenna is awesome & I enjoyed making mine.
Remember, if you don't have a lot of space just cut the slinky to fit your area. That slinky will stretch & stretch..  Use a rope or do like I did, I used weed eater cord to run thru the middle of my slinky for support. Anyway have fun..
below is the link that gives you all the information you need if interested.

http://www.i1wqrlinkradio.com/antype/ch4/chiave790.htm
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/antennas_home.htm

Have a great day..
Blitzer....🎧📻🎶 👍

Juan

The last Slinky I saw was made of plastic and no good as an antenna. Looking at Amazon, it appears that there are both metal and plastic versions.

blitzer850

Quote from: Juan on May 08, 2015, 01:20:55 PM
The last Slinky I saw was made of plastic and no good as an antenna. Looking at Amazon, it appears that there are both metal and plastic versions.
lol  If you can find the brass ones they are great. That is what I used. If you look around they are out there. It just depends on how much you want to spend. If you use indoors the regular metal slinky is fine.  Outdoors you want the brass or powder coat slinky.  EBay has a few already made but they are made for sending & receiving. You can make one for under 35 bucks for receive only.

Friend of mine made vertical slinky receive antenna out of 2 pieces of pvc each piece about 4' ft long where one could slide inside the other. He put holes about every 4 inches so he could slide a pin inside when he found his ideal height. It worked great on his Grundig SW radio. It sorta looked like the pic below..

Lord Grantham

I'm sure I'll be fine with my CC SW Pocket Radio and the CC shortwave reel antenna.

C Crane is love, C Crane is life

blitzer850

Quote from: Lord Grantham on May 16, 2015, 09:01:33 AM
I'm sure I'll be fine with my CC SW Pocket Radio and the CC shortwave reel antenna.

C Crane is love, C Crane is life

Yeah your in good shape. Those CC radios & accessories are well worth the 💰 💵 💰.
I have a G5RV antenna 102 feet stretched across the top two very tall oak trees in the shape of a sorta crooked inverted V.

Hey Lord Grantham, how long is that reel antenna that CC makes? Do they have it in different sizes?
It's been awhile since I've read up on their awesomeness..
Laterz...

Lord Grantham

Quote from: blitzer850 on May 16, 2015, 10:44:41 AM

how long is that reel antenna that CC makes?

They only have the one length, 20 feet or so. Shop around though, there seem to be no shortage of re-branded reel antennas.

I found the both of them on eBay for maybe $40 total back around new years

it's easy to experiment with stuff you might already have. a 20-30' length of wire (magnet wire, "lamp wire", speaker wire)alligator clipped or twisted around your radio's whip antenna can do wonders. Unfortunately it might bring in more noise. Art even recommended a backyard magnet wire antenna for stealthy hams and swl's on an old show.
Just make sure you unclip any outdoor antenna when not listening as static buildup from wind or a nearby lightning strike might fry your receivers front-end