• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

ANYONE JUST SEE WHAT I SAW

Started by saxgod, February 11, 2015, 06:42:22 PM

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Chaim on February 12, 2015, 01:52:31 PM
Alex Jones is the most successful independent radio host in the states.
And he's a very funny guy.
It would do Art good to work with successful guys for a change again instead of a hobby producer staff.

He's great if you like watching exploding neck veins while getting yelled at.

Chaim

Quote from: MV on February 12, 2015, 01:47:42 PM
alex jones is a fear mongering conspiracy nut who encourages people not to vaccinate their children and earns ten million per year doing so.  art doesn't like him and if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know this.

i almost forgot to add... fuck off.
So you can't supply a real reason, just some lame "I don't agree with Alex's opinion, so Art must not be on his network" bullshit.
You should be ashamed of yourself to be so selfish. You're like "but but but Art Bell belongs to ME!". Like a kid in a sandbox.
I know that Art doesn't necessarily agree with Alex's conspiracies, but that doesn't need to prevent a perfect working model.
I also know that Alex is a very funny guy with humor who doesn't need people to agree with him in order to work together or even be friends. That's a very childish attitude you show here.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Chaim on February 12, 2015, 02:00:59 PM
So you can't supply a real reason, just some lame "I don't agree with Alex's opinion, so Art must not be on his network" bullshit.
You should be ashamed of yourself to be so selfish. You're like "but but but Art Bell belongs to ME!". Like a kid in a sandbox.
I know that Art doesn't necessarily agree with Alex's conspiracies, but that doesn't need to prevent a perfect working model.
I also know that Alex is a very funny guy with humor who doesn't need people to agree with him in order to work together or even be friends. That's a very childish attitude you show here.

JC?

MV/Liberace!

yeah, well, nice haircut.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 12, 2015, 01:52:17 PM
Because it would be like mixing fine tequila with a caustic toilet bowl cleaner.

I'm not sure it would taste as good as that though. Seriously.

Yorkshire pud

Hmmmm; Are you referring to the same Alex Jones who in 2009 broadcast that in 2010, all those in the USA who refused the flu jab would be herded into FEMA camps, and urged everyone to stock up on; (Insert shopping list for paranoid survivalist) ? Or perhaps the same one who, on december the 31st 1999 told anyone who was listening, that Russia had launched nuclear missiles to land on the USA? Or that all the computers in the world would stop (Quite why the USA would care about their windows 95/98 PC failing when they were facing nuclear attack wasn't made clear); Or maybe the same Alex Jones who over the years has spouted lots of shit for the attention of the uneducated, deluded, the paranoid, the drug dependent losers, the lost and lonely, the neurotic, the paranoid (I know it's paranoid twice, but it's fundamental), oh and David Icke.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 12, 2015, 02:45:36 PM

I'm not sure it would taste as good as that though. Seriously.

Tongues that touch Alex shall never touch mine.

Wintermute

I am baffled by some of what I have read recently on Art Bell's Facebook page. Maybe I am missing something here, but I really don't think so.

1. $20,000 for a studio? You've got to be kidding. Help me out here. Unless he is building on to his house, I have no clue what that budget includes. The re-furbed AM/FM broadcast booth we did last year didn't have $5000 in it. That included computers, RE20's, comp/limiters, VoIP remotes, TVs, a new board, chairs... in a ClearChannel station... WTF? One or two guys with a remote isn't $20K. Sorry. Someone is doing something very wrong.

2. Bumper music is the hang up??? I am in the middle of helping a LPFM station get going and their two licensees cost under $1000/yr. That includes a 100ft, 350w setup (about 12miles coverage) + streaming server. If you are for-profit, SoundExchange charges either a reduced fee or 25% of annual revenue. Either way it isn't that expensive for a commercial licence in comparison to a $20K budget for "studio" stuff. Again... WTF?

So I ask... what am I missing here? How is this such an expensive undertaking? How is this so difficult to do? I don't think it is. And you wondered why SXM didn't work out for him.

MV/Liberace!

My mixer:  $200
Custom mic:  $300
DBX 286S mic processor:  $200
Skype number for incoming calls:  $60 per year
Foam padding on all my studio walls:  given to me
Cabling:  $200
Power conditioner:  $250
Computer to run stream, chat, and mumble:  $300

This is pretty much every expense I can think of pertaining to my studio build.  Not even close to $20,000 and I think our audio quality is amazing.

Kelt

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 12, 2015, 01:52:17 PM
Because it would be like mixing fine tequila with a caustic toilet bowl cleaner.

I would drink that.

I need help.

ItsOver

Maybe he's building the studio in Hawaii.

Catsmile

If Art was on the air, MVs site would explode with users, like it did during Dark Matters short life. Sure all these drama post by Art generate a lot of short term views for a few days. Then they fall back to the hardcore among us, page views drop, right along with adsense. This is designed to make him money.

Even if MV hated Art Bell he wouldn't want Art not to have a show. This site ebbs and flows whenever Art has a public mind dropping, not Jorgch Norriez mind droppings.

Not to mention MV is a total Art fanboi, every time the man logs onto BellGab, the GabCast chat, or calls the show, MVz panties are soaked faster than he can change them. You should see the collection of panties stuck to the wall, during a mad changing fit the one time Art called the GabCast. MV keeps it as a Art Bell shrine, complete with candles & incense. 

Art hitching his wagon to Alex Jones would be a big mistake on so many levels. The least of which is the fact that Art Bell don't like Alexz brand of radio.   

The General

Quote from: MV on February 12, 2015, 03:31:39 PM

This is pretty much every expense I can think of pertaining to my studio build.  Not even close to $20,000 and I think our audio quality is amazing.
I have less than $200 in my podcasting setup (if you don't count the old laptop that I already had) and I think the audio is great.  Investing $20,000 in a podcasting studio reminds me of Bruce Williams short lived idea of how it works.  Podcasting is almost free.

Wintermute

Even if Art **must** have a real broadcast console, both Audioarts and Arrakis both make sub-$2000 (one is sub$1000) boards that can handle calls, remotes, and 6 in-studio guests. The only way the console is more expensive is if he is buying a SIP trunk and routing all calls in to a plex then to the console. That is overkill by an order of magnitude for an online only show.

To put it in perspective, TWiT's entire studio, production area, streaming services + staffer (video included) was under $100K to start-up.

The General

Another thing about the money... if Art's willing to spend 20K on unnecessarily excessive podcasting/streaming equipment, why not spend $1000 on pretty good equipment instead and put the other $19,000 into music licensing?  I'm just not getting this.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ItsOver on February 12, 2015, 03:39:13 PM
Maybe he's building the studio in Hawaii.

Hawaii on Mars? That Hawaii?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on February 12, 2015, 03:54:10 PM
Another thing about the money... if Art's willing to spend 20K on unnecessarily excessive podcasting/streaming equipment, why not spend $1000 on pretty good equipment instead and put the other $19,000 into music licensing?  I'm just not getting this.

or even $2000 which would get him an amazing setup.

Catsmile

It is amazing, excepting that random NSA BEEP that creeps in once in a while.
It's mind blowing quality. When considering you spent less than one tenth of Arts ideal budget, based on SXMs equipment.

Hell, that one time when Jaz called Art on the other side of the planet, using Skype over his iPhone and sounded better than Art. Art crapped his pants, and had the "engineers" trying to sort that issue out. Your 128K MP3 stream still sounds better than the SXM streaming ever could, no matter how expensive the upstream equipment.

Catsmile

Quote from: The General on February 12, 2015, 03:54:10 PM

Or spend a few grand of the 20K on getting professional help, to see if its feasible geting his dream of speed off the ground. Instead of depending on a webmaster. What the hell do I know? I'm just a poor rube. 

P.S. You don't need to fret over your sound, as it's great. Fret Files 4 eva.

bateman

I have a legit broadcast setup, and it's still nowhere near $20k.

Allen & Heath compact broadcast mixer:  $800
RE20 mic & windscreen:  $500
Rode PSA1 boom arm:  $100
Furman power conditioner:  $50

Currently deciding between my vintage Orban 787A mic processor ($1100 or so on eBay) or the Symetrix 528E ($900 new, can be found on eBay for $300-ish)

The rest of the costs are negligible. This isn't even $5k and is borderline overkill for home use.

henge0stone

I don't even get what Keith is saying. If thats really the issue find new music. Is Art saying he isn't going to do it now?

Catsmile

Quote from: henge0stone on February 12, 2015, 04:48:52 PM
I don't even get what Keith is saying. If thats really the issue find new music. Is Art saying he isn't going to do it now?

He's on again, off again.
At the moment he's on, only if he can sort out the music. Keith hasn't been able to solve the problem as it stands. Why a webmaster would know the ins and outs of music streaming, and contracting it..... uuuummmm. ::)

Streaming music on the web... well thats unpossible.
Right now on ShoutCast alone, around 50,000 streams are doing it.
Thatz lotz of pirates. ARRRRRG!   

bateman

And as far as Sirius spending $20k...

Board:  Audioarts Air 1 ($1850) http://www.bswusa.com/Consoles-Audioarts-Air-1-USB-P867.aspx

CD player:  That's a DISCONTINUED Denon DNC635 worth a couple hundred bucks http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/275784/Denon_DN_C635_DN_C635_CD_Player.html

The thing on top of the CD player is a Shortcut 360 ($2800) http://www.bswusa.com/Other-Recorders-and-Players-360-Systems-DR600-P5.aspx

Catsmile

Quote from: bateman on February 12, 2015, 04:58:01 PM
And as far as Sirius spending $20k...

Board:  Audioarts Air 1 ($1850) http://www.bswusa.com/Consoles-Audioarts-Air-1-USB-P867.aspx

CD player:  That's a DISCONTINUED Denon DNC635 worth a couple hundred bucks http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/275784/Denon_DN_C635_DN_C635_CD_Player.html

The thing on top of the CD player is a Shortcut 360 ($2800) http://www.bswusa.com/Other-Recorders-and-Players-360-Systems-DR600-P5.aspx

Don't forget about labor cost. ;)
It's like a plumber, they use $10-$20 (our cost retail) worth of parts to fix a problem, but give you a $400 bill.

bateman

Quote from: Catsmile on February 12, 2015, 05:15:10 PM
Don't forget about labor cost. ;)
It's like a plumber, they use $10-$20 (our cost retail) worth of parts to fix a problem, but give you a $400 bill.

Step 1:  Order from BSW
Step 2:  Unpack goodies
Step 3:  Place on desk
Step 4:  Plug in

Is that where the extra $15k comes from?

P.S. I forgot to add the Kleenex brand tissues. $1.77 at CVS and other fine retailers. http://www.cvs.com/shop/personal-care/tissues-cotton-swabs/facial-tissue/kleenex-2-ply-white-tissues-with-lotion-skuid-793845

Catsmile

Quote from: bateman on February 12, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
Step 1:  Order from BSW
Step 2:  Unpack goodies
Step 3:  Place on desk
Step 4:  Plug in

Is that where the extra $15k comes from?

P.S. I forgot to add the Kleenex brand tissues. $1.77 at CVS and other fine retailers. http://www.cvs.com/shop/personal-care/tissues-cotton-swabs/facial-tissue/kleenex-2-ply-white-tissues-with-lotion-skuid-793845
I'm sure SXM, or even Art puffed up the numbers a bit.
But you would be amazed how much contractors charge sometimes.
If you contract building your own home you can save as much as 50% of the market value.
Sometimes a great deal more depending on the market you build in.
Assuming you know what you are doing, and have good subcontractors.

Quote from: Chaim on February 12, 2015, 10:10:50 AM

http://youtu.be/VyFpOp8Ft0Q
HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY?
wtf, can't do a show because of bumper music? Don't tell me you can't get some royalty free bumper music, or maybe licence 1 piece. I don't care if "the chase" is the only music they play on Art's show. It's about the talk, that's why it's called a talk show either! Sounds like a lame excuse to me.
There's a bunch of free-music websites out there. If Art can't find a good one, I'll compile a list for him.

Damn straight. You dont have to play Blue Öyster Cult , or Cusco! Hell, I dont give a shit if I hear the "Chase" again at the beginning of his show! Snorry and C2Cv2 has ruined all that music for me anyways! I feel like Ive been duped by Art, and this isn't the first time. I do understand that music is part of his radio persona but the other half is fans!

Art Bell! There are many musicians that would easily compose ANY type of music or musical style you want for your show! Quit giving your fan base who have waited patiently for years a bullshit excuse! Either come back, or dont!

K, I'm done ranting.  >:(

NXOEED

I definitely prefer the idea of going through somebody like Podcast One, or through one of these new independent podcast producers like Gimlet or Radiotopia, rather than move heaven and earth to build a 20K studio and try to stream three hours worth of content four nights a week. I was excited when he said that he'd be taking on George's time slot, but I also kind of thought to myself, "This can't last."  It'd be great if he could ease into it for once, rather than go full speed ahead and burn out too soon. I don't think Marc Maron spent more than a couple thousand bucks on his set-up. He records the whole thing in Garageband and it sounds great.

I don't know why Art is so opposed to a solid weekly, one or two hour podcast with a little ambient, independently-produced bumper music thrown in between commercial breaks. I wasn't a huge fan of that crappy Dreamland theme at all, but it didn't have any effect whatsoever on how I listened to the show, and in retrospect, I find that I kind of like the theme. And why does it always have to be exactly like the show he used to have? Why not try something new?

I don't know. I'm as bummed out as you guys are. Got the news yesterday and it ruined the rest of my day.