Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Nebraska888

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on March 20, 2015, 11:31:17 AM
Looks like a good weekend.  8)

True Crime & Bad Cops
Saturday - March 21, 2015
Hosted by George Knapp
Guest(s): David Yonke, William B. Scott

Journalist and author David Yonke joins George Knapp in the first half, to discuss the brutal slaying of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl. Yonke, who covered the case for the Toledo Blade, shares details of the ritual killing, and how later, Father Gerald Robinson, who presided over her funeral, was found guilty of the crime. In the latter half, author William Scott will discuss his campaign to force police to disclose the true number of people they kill every year, and why bad cops continue to be protected instead of arrested.

Mysterious Disappearances
Sunday - March 22, 2015
Hosted by George Knapp
Guest(s): David Paulides

Researcher and author David Paulides joins George Knapp to share even more bizarre stories of missing persons in national parks and forests throughout the United States. He'll describe additional victims and circumstances, while outlining several new geographical clusters where people have vanished without a trace.

Love it!   8)

Quote from: Morgus on March 21, 2015, 11:39:40 PM
George Knapp mentioned in addition to hosting both Sat&Sun this weekend, he will also host both Sat&Sun next weekend too!
Two Knapp double-headers in a row, for the first time...

I should post thatannouncement in the Things that Bring Me Joy thread. One less week of suck.  ;D

Couldn't sleep so I got to listen in to last night's show about the murderous priest which was fascinating. At one point, I wanted to call in but after listening to a few calls decided yeah... maybe not. The ramble was strong.  Poor Knapp is reaping the reward of Noory's declining intelligent listener base.

WOTR

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 22, 2015, 12:39:12 PM
I've heard the weekend hosts don't control when the call is discontinued, apart from being able to interject and interrupt.  It's done by a producer at a remote location or something.
Suddenly that makes sense.  I could swear that I heard disappointment in his voice.  It sounded like he had let her go, interrupted her to have the guest answer (saying that "we should probably let the guest respond") and then when she started up again he asked something along the lines of "do you have more to add?"  He sounded almost as disappointed as I was that she was going to be allowed to continue her ramblings.

They need to change that if they are going to have "orphan" lines.  It is kind of unfair to the host to not have control.  On the other hand, perhaps weekends would be the time to call with the producer asleep at the switch and try to slip in "Dave sucks." 8)

yumyumtree

I like Paulides, because I like the subject matter he deals with. I know he has his opinions, and may try to spin things in the direction that supports them.  It's hard to write true crime without forming an opinion. I've read different books on the same cases by different authors, and a lot times you end up with quite different conclusions, especially controversial or unsolved cases like Constance Kent or the Ramsey case.

WildCard

[attachimg=1]
Quote from: Morgus on March 22, 2015, 02:18:49 AM
Yep, nice to see Paulides back with Knapp again.
When Noory "poached" him for a show it didn't compare with his original shows with Knapp as host...

WildCard

Am I the only one hearing Art on the tune-in stream?

BattyBrooke

I've been pronouncing David Paulides' lastnames in my head incorrectly this whole time. More importantly, these shows with Paulides are in my top 2 and I am SO excited it's a Knapp night!

Juan Cena

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 22, 2015, 05:05:24 PM
I like Paulides, because I like the subject matter he deals with. I know he has his opinions, and may try to spin things in the direction that supports them.  It's hard to write true crime without forming an opinion. I've read different books on the same cases by different authors, and a lot times you end up with quite different conclusions, especially controversial or unsolved cases like Constance Kent or the Ramsey case.

My main complaint with Paulides is that he seems clueless to the fact the US National Parks isn't set up to handle missing persons cases CSI style in the way he wants it to. It doesn't have the resources to do so either, thanks to a Congress that would rather sell off our national parks to the Koch Brothers.

Absolutely loving the show thus far and looking forward to it getting progressively creepier as we get deeper into the dark night.

Rejoice Knappyheads! It is Knapp Night!

zeebo

A note on Knapp's intros.  They're like reading the first page of a book that grabs your interest right away.  With the way he sets a mood, and gives the background context, you just want to stick around and hear more.  This is in direct contrast to Noory's disjointed non sequiters and shallow blurbs, which just, well, suck.

zeebo

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 23, 2015, 12:02:48 AM
Absolutely loving the show thus far and looking forward to it getting progressively creepier as we get deeper into the dark night.

Rejoice Knappyheads! It is Knapp Night!

Wow hearing "Comfortably Numb" as a bumper right now is kind of freaking me out.  In other words .. great stuff.   ;)

Regarding 4th graders getting free entrance to national parks:
GK: "There's a good chance those (4th graders) won't all be coming back."

Juan Cena

Knapp brought up the "harvesting" idea. Paulides isn't ruling it out. And he wonders why the Forest Service gives him the cold shoulder.

I had to give Knapp a miss tonight because I couldn't take Paulides and all his manipulative rhetorical questions, dramatic build-ups, and yarn spinning again.  Such a waste of Knapp night  :(.

zeebo

I think some folks have gotten a touch of Paulides fatigue.  I get it, but I'm enjoying the show. 

I guess for me he's like some other guests (like say LMH or Hoagie or A. Basiago) I just can always let myself float along with for the ride.  Perhaps it's due to way too many fantasy books read in my youth.

Quote from: zeebo on March 23, 2015, 12:42:44 AM
I think some folks have gotten a touch of Paulides fatigue.  I get it, but I'm enjoying the show. 

I guess for me he's like some other guests (like say LMH or Hoagie or A. Basiago) I just can always let myself float along with for the ride.  Perhaps it's due to way too many fantasy books read in my youth.

:D

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 23, 2015, 12:23:16 AM

I'm pretty sure he said some of them won't be coming back. Probably true, statistically.

At any rate, fantastic show. Can't get too much Paulides, in my opinion.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 23, 2015, 12:23:16 AM

Snorge would've been bursting with glee with the potential of dead 4th grade mean kids going missing or being found dead in a national park.

Gd5150

Another outstanding show with Knapp and Paulides. Nice a double dose of Knapp next weekend too.

Another great show!

Good night, Knappyheads.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 23, 2015, 12:34:46 AM
I had to give Knapp a miss tonight because I couldn't take Paulides and all his manipulative rhetorical questions, dramatic build-ups, and yarn spinning again.  Such a waste of Knapp night  :(.

I managed to get through and got on the air. I was the caller who asked if Paulides had tried to get in touch in Congress about authorizing the Forrest Service to investigate these missing persons cases. I was massively disappointed that he responded with the usual "they don't want us to know the truth!" drivel.

I've decided Paulides is just another conspiracy spank looking for a paycheck instead of a soloution. 

Scully

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 22, 2015, 12:39:12 PM
I've heard the weekend hosts don't control when the call is discontinued, apart from being able to interject and interrupt.  It's done by a producer at a remote location or something.

I hope you're right, GfP.  I was sadly disappointed when Knapp let that pitiful caller go on and on and on and on about how upset she was.  Why do the most unbalanced callers get through?  :(

Scully

I really enjoyed the Paulides show.  I've known from his first show that he's most likely not on the up and up.  Big hint is that he's broken his stories into 4 books @$25 each, available only at his website.  Not to mention that he just sounds like he's full of bs.

BUT, he's gotten better with practice, and I've gotten better at suspending disbelief and just enjoying the creepy possibilities that there's "sometheen out thar" as Dave would say.  Fun to listen to the campfire stories.  Pass the S'mores.  ;)

NoMoreNoory

I can only say I took the bait, the line and the sinker first time I heard Paulides on with Knapp. I've bought a couple of books. Always gripped by it. It's weird beyond weird, and if Paulides is not on the level, as some here are suggesting, he's doing a damn good job and would seem to be investing an inordinate amount of time and money in perpetuating a fraud.
As to 'Paulides Fatigue', I was aware of that when he was on with Noory. Back with Knapp last night, I found it riveting from start to finish again. Most noticeably, with Knapp the speculation about who are what 'it' might be is kept to a minimum. With Noory that was a constant theme and Paulides allowed himself to get pulled down the portals/demons/aliens road too quickly.
So please, Mr P, stick with Mr K.
And thanks to GK for two nights of professional, grown-up radio for intelligent people as always. Now back to The Suck before another oasis in the desert next weekend (but not UFOs, I hope. That's the only real 'waste' of a Knapp night for me, GFP, but that's just my own personal predilection).

Mr. Soneji

Is it just me or did Knapp sound tired/bored this weekend? Paulides show was lackluster.

And with the double-double header of weekends, I'm thinking that Knapp's trying to fulfill his contractual obligations so that he can leave C2C. Thoughts?

I enjoyed the Paulides show, but his shows are some of my favorites with Knapp. There's nothing like a good mystery and I also appreciate the fact that neither Paulides nor Knapp were inclined to go down a particular rabbit hole, but left the mystery stand. Plenty scary speculating what happened to these people, and heartwrenching in the case of the little kids.

It doesn't fuss me if he writes books and makes money from this. Research costs money, and Paulides has to make a living like anyone else.

And there's yet another weekend of non suck to look forward to, an extra bonus and something to celebrate.

bateman

Somehow this was my first time listening to a Paulides/Knapp show, and I enjoyed it a lot. I'll have to go back & listen to past appearances.

Cwn Annwn

Hey guys. I've been a long time forum lurker and decided to finally start typing things instead of just reading.

Like some of you I've also been quite captivated by Knapp's interviews of Paulides. For those of you who find Paulides' work suspect, I'm curious about why. Is there solid information out there that casts doubt upon it? (I've poked around and haven't found anything damning, so I figured I'd ask you intelligent folks.)

yumyumtree

Quote from: Juan Cena on March 22, 2015, 11:41:13 PM
My main complaint with Paulides is that he seems clueless to the fact the US National Parks isn't set up to handle missing persons cases CSI style in the way he wants it to. It doesn't have the resources to do so either, thanks to a Congress that would rather sell off our national parks to the Koch Brothers.

I think that he may have a distorted notion about how widespread these occurences are.  Just think, how many people use national parks, national forests, wilderness areas like the Bob Marshal, etc. every year. Some of these parks are loved to death by people all over the world, so it's not surprising that things happen, people go missing and so on.  I realize that's no consolation if its one of your loved ones, but it's kind of like plane crashes.  Because they're so horrible when they happen, we imagine them happening much more than they do.  But most people know that statistically, cars are much less safe.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Cwn Annwn on March 23, 2015, 07:53:04 PM
Hey guys. I've been a long time forum lurker and decided to finally start typing things instead of just reading.

Like some of you I've also been quite captivated by Knapp's interviews of Paulides. For those of you who find Paulides' work suspect, I'm curious about why. Is there solid information out there that casts doubt upon it? (I've poked around and haven't found anything damning, so I figured I'd ask you intelligent folks.)

See amazon.com for starters.  He has some real enemies on there.

But welcome.  I lurked for about 6 months before joining.  Now it's my favorite board.