• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Quote from: Major Ed Damien on January 18, 2015, 05:01:14 AM

Yeah, but it all depends on the subject.  It didn't matter how well-read a person was on the subject of alchemy back in the Middle Ages -- magic doesn't turn base metals into gold. 

You could also be well-read on the topic of secret spells that turn shit back into food.  But it would make more sense to be well-read on the subject of agriculture, so as to grow more food. 

In that case, it would be better to be only 'vaguely knowledgeable' about magic spells that turn shit back into food.

I see your point and agree somewhat but there are times when things don't make sense.  The cancer patient who finds out after fervent prayer and ministering that the tumors are gone.  It happened to a friend of mine. A visitation after a loved one dies. This also happened to me. I'd rather have an open mind about things rather than a closed mind.  I guess that's just a fundamental difference between thee and me. 

Juan

Crop circles are an interesting example of story escalation in the paranormal field.  When they first began in the early 70s, they were simply circles in the fields, and the story was that they were evidence of a flying saucer (round) having landed.  Now you see what the story has escalated into.

Quote from: Major Ed Damien on January 18, 2015, 04:05:43 AM

any more than we have a need to shrink ourselves so as to visit bacteria.

I don't know about that...is Raquel Welch involved?

wr250

Quote from: Juan on January 18, 2015, 06:31:12 AM
Crop circles are an interesting example of story escalation in the paranormal field.  When they first began in the early 70s, they were simply circles in the fields, and the story was that they were evidence of a flying saucer (round) having landed.  Now you see what the story has escalated into.

crop circles were mentioned in the 1500's ...

b_dubb

Like every other Roswell source ... it's all anecdotal. No real evidence.

Dateline

Ah Ha!  Did you analyze it this way?  The aliens are years ahead of us in technology.  The skeptics keep exclaiming, "No, evidence!, No evidence!" 

In fact there is evidence LOTS of evidence, it is just that our equipment and perceptions are just not technologically sophisticated yet to be able to comprehend it?  To the aliens this may be a feudal serfdom, a planet still in the Dark Ages.  This is my theory, and I do not recall I have quite heard it or read about it.  If there is, please update me. 

b_dubb

Quote from: Dateline on January 18, 2015, 09:34:05 AM
Ah Ha!  Did you analyze it this way?  The aliens are years ahead of us in technology.  The skeptics keep exclaiming, "No, evidence!, No evidence!" 

In fact there is evidence LOTS of evidence, it is just that our equipment and perceptions are just not technologically sophisticated yet to be able to comprehend it?  To the aliens this may be a feudal serfdom, a planet still in the Dark Ages.  This is my theory, and I do not recall I have quite heard it or read about it.  If there is, please update me.
Smells of confirmation bias

Quote from: Major Ed Damien on January 18, 2015, 04:05:43 AM

It's planetarily narcissistic to believe that this planet -- a virtual Stuckey's of the universe -- requires being dropped in on by intergalactic or even interdimensional truck drivers.

Actually, you may be on to something there, Major Ed.  Maybe they flock here from thousands of light years away because this is the only planet in the universe that makes a decent pecan log.

b_dubb

Earth - Purveyors of Fine Pecan Logs and Rectal Probe Resort

This thread is full of epic

ItsOver

Let's see what's up for tonight.  The second topic sounds kind of interesting.

"...Followed by researcher Heidi Hollis who shares reports of a supernatural being known for wearing a hat and peering into people's homes, bedrooms, cribs, cars, their lives and even-- into their souls!"

OK, a creepy guy, wearing a hat, peering into homes, ...Jorch is gone for the night...hmmmm.

Quote from: ItsOver on January 18, 2015, 12:00:36 PM
Let's see what's up for tonight.  The second topic sounds kind of interesting.

"...Followed by researcher Heidi Hollis who shares reports of a supernatural being known for wearing a hat and peering into people's homes, bedrooms, cribs, cars, their lives and even-- into their souls!"

OK, a creepy guy, wearing a hat, peering into homes, ...Jorch is gone for the night...hmmmm.

Jorgo!  I'll be closing the curtains early tonight.

ItsOver

I've also heard there are no coincidences.

maureen

Quote from: zeebo on January 18, 2015, 01:37:03 AM
Why do I love Knapp's little bumper info tidbits?  I just do, ok?  Don't judge.
I totally agree...like good liner notes on old vinyl records!

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 18, 2015, 12:25:02 PM
Jorgo!  I'll be closing the curtains early tonight.

Ah, the haunting "Jorgo Theme".

Quote from: maureen on January 18, 2015, 01:26:58 PM
I totally agree...like good liner notes on old vinyl records!

I miss that, as well as all the great artwork you could actually see.  Plus, it's impossible to clean weed on an mp3, or so I've heard.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on January 18, 2015, 10:36:00 AM
Smells of confirmation bias

For more examples I refer you to the politics thread.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on January 18, 2015, 12:39:05 PM
I've also heard there are no coincidences.

Weird, I was just thinking that. 

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 18, 2015, 05:12:36 AM
I see your point and agree somewhat but there are times when things don't make sense.  The cancer patient who finds out after fervent prayer and ministering that the tumors are gone.  It happened to a friend of mine. A visitation after a loved one dies. This also happened to me. I'd rather have an open mind about things rather than a closed mind.  I guess that's just a fundamental difference between thee and me.

If you're saying that I have a closed mind about "things," then I'd like to see some proof of that.  What things do you mean?  You don't know me, but it seems as if you have closed your mind to the idea that I might have an open mind.

I am open to examining any evidence by any person of any occupation on any matter -- including evidence that is only anecdotal or hearsay. 

If my mind were closed, then I doubt that I would be able to listen to "Coast-to-Coast AM" every night of the week.  I am compulsively too curious about everything not to have an open mind.

I haven't even closed my mind to alchemy -- although, thus far, the evidence is fairly convincing that base metals cannot be magically transformed into gold.

The optimum way to prove things these days is to see if they can be reasonably documented.  It helps if the phenomenon in question is repeatable.

Anybody can say that they have been visited by dead persons, but the enthusiasm about their claim should be matched with at least an equal amount of proof. 

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."  And it's only fair to the rest of us. 

wr250

Quote from: Major Ed Damien on January 18, 2015, 06:17:17 PM

If you're saying that I have a closed mind about "things," then I'd like to see some proof of that.  What things do you mean?  You don't know me, but it seems as if you have closed your mind to the idea that I might have an open mind.

I am open to examining any evidence by any person of any occupation on any matter -- including evidence that is only anecdotal or hearsay. 

If my mind were closed, then I doubt that I would be able to listen to "Coast-to-Coast AM" every night of the week.  I am compulsively too curious about everything not to have an open mind.

I haven't even closed my mind to alchemy -- although, thus far, the evidence is fairly convincing that base metals cannot be magically transformed into gold.

The optimum way to prove things these days is to see if they can be reasonably documented.  It helps if the phenomenon in question is repeatable.

Anybody can say that they have been visited by dead persons, but the enthusiasm about their claim should be matched with at least an equal amount of proof. 

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."  And it's only fair to the rest of us.

yes lead can be turned into gold
http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/15541/turn-lead-into-gold-via-radioactive-decay

Uncle Duke

Quote from: b_dubb on January 18, 2015, 08:32:46 AM
Like every other Roswell source ... it's all anecdotal. No real evidence.

Knapp stated Clarkson was a first time guest on C2C, but a few years ago with Noory LMH did a one hour segment on the Clarkson/Crane story where she played clips of his interviews of Ms. Crane.  LMH's site also gave a url where transcripts of those interviews were posted.  When you heard/read what Ms Crane actually said in those interviews, her credibility takes a serious downturn.  It was pretty clean she didn't understand high security processes and protocols, especially the "need to know" aspects Clarkson mentioned briefly last night.  I'd also still like to know why a USAAF secretary had a AEC security (Q) clearance.

Clarkson talked about Ms. Crane's son and how he didn't try to track him down.  Seems mother/son were estranged and Clarkson knew contacting the son would "open up something that wouldn't be good because June was not talking to her son for the last few years of her life".  OK, I can respect not wanting to cause her grief at the time, but the woman is now dead.  Why not find the son and ask him about his Mom?  What's the worst that can happen from Clarkson's perspective?  Is he concerned the son might tell him (and the world) Ms Crane was a major loon or pathological liar?

Quote from: wr250 on January 18, 2015, 06:54:00 PM
yes lead can be turned into gold
http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/15541/turn-lead-into-gold-via-radioactive-decay

Hey, that's great.

Plus, don't forget:

Led Zeppelin turned their records into gold too.

AvDaBr

I realize that making Coast to Coast AM a quality product hasn't exactly been a priority for a while, but this split show format  has to go.  In the case of Knapp, he's too good a host just to scratch the surface of a topic and then detour.  For Noory, it just gives him the opportunity to botch two topics instead of one.

Hat Man is the second topic tonight. Sounds pretty stupid so lets see if Knapp can make this listenable.

Quote from: Juan Cena on January 18, 2015, 03:16:16 AM
"Memory metal?" On some level, I would wonder if actual ETs would have already developed non-metallic materials to build spacecraft out of.
Heilsa,All!
I enjoyed listening to Mr.Clarkson a lot more than the crop circle guest,because I've been bombarded by agit-prop emanateing from nw.crop circle believers in my old haunts,so i did some totally different kind of "Neo-Fortean"research on line and in old pamphlets about the apocryphal"Threshing/Mowing Divell"pamphlets.
I found,also,the mid-'60's photos in tully,queensland,australia?Tasmania?of post-sighting crop and marsh swirls associated as'Saucer Nests'.
None of the reports or anecdotes after 1970 seem to refer to the same phenomena.
As to Mr.Clarkson,I actually was briefly involved with the"NWUFO" Bob Gribble ufo group in the Mid-'70's,but got labeled an schitzophenic nut and disenformer after i mentioned an story in an class i was giveing on fairy lore that involved supposed secret us fake ufo's flying from the nw.that had been associated with the staff of Minn.Sen Hubert H.Humphrey.
An criminal in prison on federal charges had claimed that,if Humphrey paroled him to his staff's custody,he would lead the senator to several secret AFB bases in Sen.Humphrey's congressional bailiwick that were being used to carry out cattle mutilations,livestock rustling,and abductions of inconvenient whistle-blowers.
This story appeared at length in an number of UFO magazines in 1976 or '77.
Later,i was smeared by Mr.Gribble's shoe-suckers because i mentioned it as an locally sourced rumour that i thought was emanateing from Boeing employees.
I was so p.o.'d by the blacklisting/smear that i tried to find the now deceased Wayne Aho to find out if Gribble had blacklisted an bunch of people in the Seattle area and could be an Air Force agent in deep cover.
I tend now to think that,the kind of Fortean approach makes more sense than the narrower "Alien Space Vehicle"model for obviously weird phenomena,but this is after an lifetime of reading.
"B_B"

goldendeal

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 18, 2015, 11:40:07 PM
Hat Man is the second topic tonight. Sounds pretty stupid so lets see if Knapp can make this listenable.

This subject has been on Coast before, (The Hat Man: The True Story of Evil Encounters)
I wouldn't necessarily call it stupid.  Now,  a case can be made for the History of Tattoos/Creating Luck/ Millennials which is arguably stupid.

zeebo

So internet trolls are just intelligent and thoughtful people concerned with protecting freedom of speech?  By that defininition we should have a Thanks to the Trolls Parade.

ItsOver

This first guest is a dud.  Noory must be picking these clowns.  Not sure I can make it to Jorgo.  Sure hate to see Knapp wasted.   

AvDaBr

Not even Knapp can do much with this.  Pretty boring topic/show so far.

Quote from: AvDaBr on January 19, 2015, 01:10:09 AM
Not even Knapp can do much with this.  Pretty boring topic/show so far.

a bit dry, to be sure. But, I have six shots of espresso in me, and I'm hanging tight.

Scully

Quote from: zeebo on January 19, 2015, 12:58:21 AM
So internet trolls are just intelligent and thoughtful people concerned with protecting freedom of speech?  By that defininition we should have a Thanks to the Trolls Parade.

That's just crazy! Don't buy it for a moment.

I never have bought the idea either that just because it's the internet, anything goes.  People can be held accountable on the internet, just as they can in other areas.